TOD Wuhan S&W Revolver

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

TOD Wuhan S&W Revolver

Post by Indiana Bond »

Although it hasn't been discussed much here at COW, I have done some extensive research into the revolver that Wuhan (David Yip) is holding when he comes to Indy's aid in Club Obi Wan. He holds the revolver under the serving tray and then drops it to the table when he gets shot.

I have identified the revolver as a Smith & Wesson model 10-5 .38 special with a 3 inch barrel. There are some very good side shots that show the profile of the revolver very clearly. It definately has a 3 inch barrel with a very long ramp sight. This matches the Smith & Wesson model 10-5 with a 3 inch barrel perfectly. No other model 10 revolvers had this type of front sight. The model 10-5 came out in the 1970's so it is historically incorrect, however the same basic revolver goes back to the S&W MP which was available in the 1930's. The 1930's S&W MP's were never made with a 3 inch barrel and would have had a "half moon" sight and not the ramp sight as the screen used revolver has.

Here is a comparison pic between the screen used revolver and a 3 inch Smith & Wesson model 10-5:

Another interesting note is that when the revolver is droped to the table you can see that it has the older smooth finish grips as found on the Smith & Wesson Victory Model and not the modern style grips of the model 10-5. Changing out the grips would be an easy thing to do to make the revolver look more historically correct. It also shows a lanyard ring hole in the bottom of the frame. This is hard to explain as the model 10-5 never had a lanyard ring attached. Was the screen used gun drilled for a lanyard ring? Could it have been a S&W MP frame with a 3 inch 10-5 barrel attached? My guess is that these more modern revolvers where often used as "stand ins" for older versions. They may have drilled the frame so that they could attach a lanyard ring if they needed to make it look like an older wartime model.

And now the reason for this post!! You guessed it! I just purchased a 3 inch Smith & Wesson model 10-5!! I also have a nice set of smooth "Victory" grips comming. I now own what I believe to be a screen accurate Wuhan revolver!
\:D/

Here is a pic. I'll post more when I actually have it in my hands.

All I need now is a Nickle Webley Mk III .38 Commercial Contract to complete the collection of the handguns used by all the main characters in TOD. That one is going to be a tough one to find!

Thanks again to all of you and please post any comments or questions.

Last edited by Indiana Bond on Sun May 13, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: TOD Wuhan Revolver

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, this gun has been always known as to model and maker. :M: :tup:

There should be a still grab somewhere when the gun is picked up by Lao Che's henchman after it's dropped on the table that you can see it had a lanyard swivel once, but it had been removed from the frame.

That said, with that lanyard ring in place, it probably falls to being the original M&P model rather than the model 10 followup model....at least that's been the discussion in years past. A few special order police model 10's had lanyard rings, so that's pretty much where things have been left along the same discussion lines as you listed above.....correct model for the 1930's, but wrong front sight reflecting 1970's manufacture....but with added lanyard ring hole...hense, ANOTHER Hollywood attempt of historic accuracy, but not really trying that hard. ;)

Back when I was a gun dealer, I had the chance to purchase a lot of model 10's and 13's with the lanyard ring attachment out of New York State. Seems those were very popular models with the State police up there back in the 70's, but they upgraded to the Model 28 and dumped a LOT of service revolvers though dealer sales.

We beat that horse to death at Indyfan 'back in the day'. :lol:

Great research as usual. Just shows that even when re-discovered, the same thought process follows the same path we followed back in the 90's. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Thanks Michaelson!

Yes, as I already mentioned:

It also shows a lanyard ring hole in the bottom of the frame. This is hard to explain as the model 10-5 never had a lanyard ring attached. Was the screen used gun drilled for a lanyard ring? Could it have been a S&W MP frame with a 3 inch 10-5 barrel attached? My guess is that these more modern revolvers where often used as "stand ins" for older versions. They may have drilled the frame so that they could attach a lanyard ring if they needed to make it look like an older wartime model.

What really makes me certain that it was a model 10-5 is that long tapered front ramp sight. No other model I have ever seen has that type of front siight. When I go through frame by frame there are certain frames that show the front sight very clear, especially one frame just before the gun hits the table. You can clearly see the long tapered front ramp sight.

Also since 3 inch models were not being made in the thirties it must have been a more modern version.

Michaelson you state: A few special order police model 10's had lanyard rings

So it is possible that it could have been one of these?

What about my theory that: They may have drilled the frame so that they could attach a lanyard ring if they needed to make it look like an older wartime model?

What ever may have been the case with the actual screen used revolver I'm very happy with my new purchase. Not only is this a very close SA firearm, it will make a great shooter and I espicially like the 3 inch barrel and that long front ramp sight!
\:D/

Thanks again!

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Bond wrote:What about my theory that: They may have drilled the frame so that they could attach a lanyard ring if they needed to make it look like an older wartime model?
Why go through all that bother to do that, knowing we're the only 'crazies' who are even going to notice? :-k ;)

I think it's one of the old police contract guns the prop department picked up for a song back in the day.

That's a great carry length too. I've had 4 inch model 10's AND 13ths, and for some reason that extra inch on the barrel just seems to be too long for carry in a belt holster.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Bond wrote:What about my theory that: They may have drilled the frame so that they could attach a lanyard ring if they needed to make it look like an older wartime model?
Why go through all that bother to do that, knowing we're the only 'crazies' who are even going to notice? :-k ;)
I figured they may have drilled and actually had a lanyard ring on there for some other movie. That would be easier than removing and screwing on a newer 3 inch barrel on to an older frame.

But like you said: ANOTHER Hollywood attempt of historic accuracy, but not really trying that hard.

I guess we will never know!! :-k

Thanks again!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What was even more frustrating 'back in the day' was when I asked the propmaster where it came from, his reply, and I quote, was:

"####, I don't remember! We just grabbed one off the shelf....." :-s

Uh, ok. That was helpful. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

It's good to hear that you guys did attempt to get more info from the prop master. I wish there was some way to go back to that old "Indyfan" forum and read all the posts on this that were made back then. I would love to read what you all found out!

Anyways, I now have to play the waiting game. With the shipping and waiting period I hope to have it in my hands by the end of the month!

Side note: I also just picked up a Luger P08!! Military contract Police issue dated 1917. It's a shooter with non matching numbers but got it at a pretty good price. Been wanting one of those to fill out the collection for quite some time. Will post pics on a new thread once I get it!

Thanks again!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Have fun storming the castle! Absolutely nothing is in order, of course. That should explain why we created this site the way 'we' did...in sections. :lol: ;)

http://indyfan.com/vault/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Wow. "The Vault" makes me feel old, old.... Anyway, with the exception of the barrel and site, it sounds like the Wuhan revolver was very close to my "Royal Hong Kong Police" S&W .38 Special seen here;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

DeWayne wrote:Wow. "The Vault" makes me feel old, old.... Anyway, with the exception of the barrel and site, it sounds like the Wuhan revolver was very close to my "Royal Hong Kong Police" S&W .38 Special seen here;

DeWayne,

That's a nice piece. Lot's of character and I'm sure it could tell some great stories! (As long as you can understand Chinese!!) Pretty much the same model as the Wuhan gun except for the grips, longer barrel and different front sight.

Thanks for sharing!

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

My 3 inch S&W 10-5 "Wuhan" revolver just arrived at my FFL. Brought the victory grips I purchased with me and installed them. The revolver looks great! Those old style grips really make it look period accurate and most definately screen accurate!

Here are some pics:

Once I get her home in a couple of weeks (2 week waiting period here in Hawaii) I'll try to take some "glamore" shots!

Thanks again and please leave any questions or comments.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I really love the look those grips give a Smith. I've put them on other Smith revolvers in the past, and it makes a big difference in look....but MAN they're hard to hold onto if used on a gun in a caliber larger than a .38! :lol:

VERY nice acquisition, and one I bet would be an easy to carry belt revolver.

Regard !Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Thanks Michaelson!

Can't wait to get her home and run some 38s through her! The 38 specials are great. All my SASS cowboy guns are in 38 special and it is such a comfortable round to shoot.

I also picked up a 1917 DWM Luger P08 and an Imperial "Red 9" Broomhandle Mauser C96. The Luger is at ny FFL with the S&W awaiting release. The Broomhandle arrives tomorrow at my FFL.

Can't wait to get them all home in a couple of weeks!

Thanks again!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm a 44 mag man myself, and like it for a bunch of different reasons....but as my friend trdaggers pointed out, if things don't work out regarding accuracy with my gun, I can use the muzzle flash from my 44 mag. to do welding on the side. 8) ;)

Regard! Michaelson