Motorcycle Gear

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Motorcycle Gear

Post by InexorableTash »

At my wife's urging (she may be trying to get rid of me) I'm embarking on a new adventure - motorcycles. Something I've always wanted to learn but never had the opportunity until now. I've done the MSF course and have bought a starter bike (Suzuki GZ250 - tiny little cruiser). At the moment I'm borrowing a helmet and just doing practice drives with a friend before braving the big city, but it's time to invest in gear.

There have been plenty of threads on COW about jackets e.g. (here, here), and, of course, how to satisfy your fedora fetish while riding (here, here).

But more generally - does anyone have suggestions for Indy-esque "adventure-style" riding/safety gear? e.g. pants that would provide more protection than officer pinks while not looking as modern as black/florescent nylon? Favored brands/styles of helmets, gloves?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Motorcycle Gear

Post by backstagejack »

A normal lambskin indy jacket would be destroyed on impact. Although a Horse Hide Indy might not be too bad. The real issue is, you'll probably want armor, etc.

When it comes to riding a cruiser, to me nothing beats wearing boots, jeans, a white T and a well built tough as nails, leather jacket. I'm a traditionalist, lol! I go for the classic look on a bike, as I go for a classic look with a suit.

I went for a DOT approved German helmet style helmet to try and keep with the "period". But that only offers you brain protection, you could still scrap up your face and get bugs in the face, etc. A full face helmet protects your whole head, from the ground, the bugs and the weather.

Since this is a new hobby, I wouldn't spend too much on customized gear. Most of the Indy stuff isn't built at all for Bikes....although the Alden's might not be too bad, except you could get the laces stuck on your gear shift.....

Again, since this is a new hobby and you might not ride as much as you'd think, I'd just peruse the nearest motorcycle shop and see what you can find.

Now if you want to spend some money, I'm sure you can get someone to make you a custom motorcycle Indy jacket.......keep in mind the collar will flap like no ones business, lol.

http://www.bikersden.com

http://www.foxcreekleather.com

http://www.loganscloset.com not really abike site but vanson makes great motorcycle jackets.

Some of my favorite bike sites.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Belstaff makes classic motorcycle gear. (Too rich for my blood, though. I wore ballistic nylon from Joe Rocket and Frank Thomas.)

http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=801" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Motorcycle clothing and protective gear is mostly a personal choice, although it DOES need to be functional. Boots that cover the ankles, somewhat close fitting cloths that won't let bugs inside and a good quality helmet. After you accept that no protective clothing will protect you from broken bones and internal injuries, it's just a question of how much tolerance you have for being expose to road rash.

If you simply MUST have khaki, AGV Sport makes Kevlar cargo pants in khaki. Google AGV Excursion Kevlar Cargo Pants and you'll find them.

As for boots, I tend to favor straight Engineer Boots, although Aldens do work - they are just not very protective. Assuming you are working with just a toe shifter, upshifting will gradually wreck your left boot, so a $400 pair of Aldens may not be your best choice. Look at Wolverine or Red Wing if you want something that looks less "techy."

Likewise, if you MUST have a helmet that looks the part there are a few fabric covered ones around. I thought HJC made one, but I can't find it.

(Edit: I finally found it. It's probably HJC but it's a Harley-Davidson branded item. Dudley Perkins down by the airport can probably get you one.)

Helmets are a real personal choice. I alternate between a light carbon fiber DOT half helmet and a lightweight full face depending on the weather and my mood. There's simply no cool way to protect your head well, so fit and comfort should come first.

As for gloves - again personal preference. I've gone through dozens of pairs and now just buy unlined deerskin for most of the year, and something insulated for cold months. Most people buy black because lighter colors get dirty, but there's no rule that says you can't buy tan colored ones, I have a lot of friends who ride with tan deerskin work gloves and replace them every year or two.

Eye protection can run the gamut from Red Baron flight goggles to steampunk looking safety glasses, but that's one area where you really want to yield form to function. Don't worry about style - get good coverage impact resistant polycarbonate. Raybans look cool - but having pieces of glass picked out of your eyeball - not so cool.

Since this is a new venture, I'd focus on protecting your head and eyes while you learn to ride. Once you're comfortable you'll just adopt the stuff that works for you.

Like someone said, you can get custom stuff if you want it, Tony Nowak built my first jacket from him a little roomier across the shoulders and longer in back to accommodate riding. (And no - the collar doesn't beat me to death.)
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I've owned all kinds of motorcycle gear over the years.

Helmets - THE BEST protection is a full face. Best eye protection is to leave the shield down. I ride with it up 99% of the time, but always wear glasses. I prefer KD's, and they come in a variety of lens colors, including clear for night riding.

I also wear pudding bowl helmets, but only on 'slower' bikes such as my hardtail. But always glasses.

I have leather and cordura nylon jackets. The two or three advantages of cordura are its weight (lighter), waterproofness (if it has a goretex liner), and definitely windproofness, making it significantly warmer in cold weather. Leather is just cool, and that, all by itself, is why it is my jacket of choice most of the time.

Both Cordura and leather will protect you in a crash. Hard padding is a plus.

As cool as blue jeans are, they are virtually useless in a get-off. Get some leather pants or chaps, or cordura pants if you decide on a cordura jacket.

I also always wear gloves, even in summer (unlined leather). I value my hands. I just wear what fits me and is comfortable.

Boots should be over the ankle.

All of these items should be comfortable because chances are you're going to be in them for long periods of time.

Back to helmets. Helmets come in different shapes, as do fedoras. For instance, Shoeis are more long oval than Arais are. For as great quality as Arais are, I can't wear them because I'm a long oval. Shoeis, KBCs, and others, fit me better. My KBCs are all-day comfortable for me.

Mail order is nice but go to a bike shop and try a lot of stuff on.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I want those kevlar cargo pants from AGV Sport! Perfect for my Zombie Killer outfit!

=P~
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

Thanks folks, lots of great suggestions. Of course, safety takes priority.

Those Kevlar pants do look great!
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

I wanted to follow up with the gear I've ended up with:
  • Hand-me-down black cycle boots, though I want to pick up some brown harness boots
  • Joe Rocket "Phoenix" black mesh pants (as overpants)
  • Generic black leather gauntlets
  • Nolan flip-face helmet (black)
  • Leather jacket by Xelement
The latter is the one I wanted to share. After lamenting the choices available I stumbled onto the "XS-589" on various gear sites... but they were all out of stock in my size, and it seems like it's discontinued. Fortunately, I found a seller on eBay who had a few new - and ridiculously cheap. After ordering I was convinced it would be be crappy quality, and I'm glad to be (mostly) wrong.

Here's me in just the jacket:

It's a heavy bison leather, dark brown, and (most importantly) removable armor at the elbows and shoulders. The lapels and such all snap down, the sides lace up to adjust the fit, and it has very nice arm gussets for the riding posture. The negatives: the poly liner on the inside is probably going to wear out rather quickly, and some of the leather edges could probably use some conditioner (if only I had a tub of it... oh, wait, I do!), and the armor pockets are "meh". But otherwise, I'm loving it - it's retro-style without being "biker" or "Indy", and can be worn casually or for riding.

In terms of styling, it's really like a classic motorcycle jacket without being too shiny. And did I mention it's brown? Here's the studio photo shot of the jacket to show the detail:

Plus, I can't help but think it's some sort of love child of Indy's jacket and Mutt's jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, my youngest daughter had a Wested cowhide 'Aliens' jacket rolled up in a side pouch of the Harley she was riding on when it slammed sideways into the side of a car a few years back. Though she was still hurt, the jacket was the only thing that kept her leg from being totally crushed....so, yes, there are excellent uses for other jackets as well....kinda, sort'a..... :[

Nice look (and FUNCTIONAL) outfit to date, my friend. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson