Land's End Canvas Crosby boot: A second look

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Land's End Canvas Crosby boot: A second look

Post by twistedotter »

So, I got mine about a week ago. My first impression is not terribly different from others. Leather is "plastic-y" and stiff. I've been leaving the top two hooks unlaced and, while they were still a little painfully stiff at the tops, about a day of wearing has loosened that up significantly. I've worn them three full days now and today was the first day that I basically forgot they were there. I mean nothing was irritating me enough to really notice them. I'm still not a big fan of the slick leather, but I think time will sort that out. I'm just going to let them weather naturally and we'll see how it goes. I personally don't see them as being that sturdily built, but for the price who cares? Very decent pair of "really close enough" boots. Mine fit true to size and don't seem to stray from my standard 10D.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Tundrarider wrote:Nice to see you again, DeWayne! :D

Great avatar pic! :H:

Michael :TOH:

Thanks Michael. I'm usually around here somewhere.... :D

I need to post some updated gear pics.
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

So now that I've had these for a bit and they have been broken in for my wide feet, I have to admit these are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. They fit like a glove now and the insole has just the right cushonjng for my feet. Even after I lambasted the quality in my post earlier, the fact is that I can wear these far longer than my other boots and my feet are not a bit tired at the end of the day. In comparison I've worn Doc Martens for many years and always considered those comfortable for me but they are nowhere near as comfortable as these. I'm considering grabbing another pair while they are on sale before they sell out.

I'm now beginning to wonder, if these shoes feel so good, than what do real Aldens feel like! They must be heaven! Maybe I need to start saving and treat my feet to some real Aldens hehe.

-Bish
Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy30 »

I own both. I'd have to say that the Aldens take the cake, but the Crosbys are not bad esp for the price!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
bish
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bish »

So sloppy workmanship aside, as I said in my last post these are the most comfortable shoes I own. I ordered a second pair and they are as comfortable as the first after breaking them in. Just a note I did not artificially distress the second pair at all other than a coat of pecards and they broke in just as well.

One thing I am noticing though is that the rubber soles are wearing faster than I'd like. I've never owned a pair of shoes like these, so can anyone tell me if these particular shoes can be resoled in the future? I know some shoes can and some can't. I just love these shoes so much now lol maybe I should grab a third pair.

- Bish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

I just ordered a pair of these. At £50 you cant go wrong. These are the cheapest alternative I could find. I've looked round shops here in the UK and i cant find any close alternatives...they all seem to be in the US.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

bish wrote:One thing I am noticing though is that the rubber soles are wearing faster than I'd like. I've never owned a pair of shoes like these, so can anyone tell me if these particular shoes can be resoled in the future? I know some shoes can and some can't. I just love these shoes so much now lol maybe I should grab a third pair.

- Bish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finding a good local cobbler to fix them up may be harder than him/her actually replacing the heel rubber.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

pdraycott wrote:I just ordered a pair of these. At £50 you cant go wrong. These are the cheapest alternative I could find. I've looked round shops here in the UK and i cant find any close alternatives...they all seem to be in the US.
Where did you order from? Every link I've seen in this thread is a dead end...
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Zuiun wrote:
pdraycott wrote:I just ordered a pair of these. At £50 you cant go wrong. These are the cheapest alternative I could find. I've looked round shops here in the UK and i cant find any close alternatives...they all seem to be in the US.
Where did you order from? Every link I've seen in this thread is a dead end...
There is a guy on eBay who's selling them. If you want, pm me and I'll give you his seller I'd.
I had an email today saying they were despatched.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

(As of 16 1052 Aug 2012)
If you're a 9, 9.5 or 10, do the following:
1. Go on the Land's End website. landsend.com
2. Click on "Sale" (upper right area of the website).
3. In the "Search Sale Items" field (left side of page) enter "Crosby".
4. Resulting search should take you to the boots.

Land's End can be tricky sometimes. If you try searching for these boots using the main site's search feature with "Crosby" as your search, it will result in no findings. You have to know where they've listed the items you are looking for. In this case, the "Sale" section.

FYI, the black ones, in 9.5 only, are under $37.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Does anyone know how the sizes run?

I'm a 10.5, but there is so much variance in shoe sizes that anything from 10-11 can fit me (my Todd's boot is a 10 and fits perfect).
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Searching the item number can help. It's 40649-0X58.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Zuiun, I think they are just about right on in length, or they may be 1/2 size large; however, there is a TON of room in them.

I have medium width feet, and don't wear any comfort insoles in my shoes and I had to lace these to near touching for them to feel snug. The tops actually overlap.

I added some waffle insoles I had from my old jungle boots and still, tons of room.

They may be worth a shot.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I'm so happy I found this thread! I found and ordered the boots online today and they were even on sale! I should get them in plenty of time to break them in before Raiders in IMAX!
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Mine wrinkle on the inside and I'm trying to figure out how to lessen the extent of the wrinkles. So far, the sanding does make for nice distressing, but leather conditioner seems to only darken the sanded areas, so I don't want to overdo that. Anyone have thoughts on how to reduce the wrinkles without making the area darker? I'm wearing them today, so here's a pic:

But I can also say that these are certainly very comfortable. As far as sizing, I'm typically a 9.5 wide or 10 wide in most shoes, but I got these in a 10.5 since they don't have wide sizes, and they fit perfectly.
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

Mountaineer wrote:Zuiun, I think they are just about right on in length, or they may be 1/2 size large; however, there is a TON of room in them.
APL wrote:As far as sizing, I'm typically a 9.5 wide or 10 wide in most shoes, but I got these in a 10.5 since they don't have wide sizes, and they fit perfectly.
See, this is what I find odd about these boots. I've read some reviews on them elsewhere and there is the same variance. It seems some people find them roomy, if not too big, when ordered in their size. Others are finding that they need a half or full size larger.

So I just don't know.

Unfortunately, they now appear to be gone for good from the site (last I checked, anyway). I did, however, find a size 11 on a certain auction site for a decent price. It was the only pair I could find even close to my size (everything else available was way too small).

We'll see if they fit.

If not, well, they may go up for sale for any size 11's out there that want to give 'em a shot.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

APL wrote:Mine wrinkle on the inside and I'm trying to figure out how to lessen the extent of the wrinkles. So far, the sanding does make for nice distressing, but leather conditioner seems to only darken the sanded areas, so I don't want to overdo that. Anyone have thoughts on how to reduce the wrinkles without making the area darker? I'm wearing them today, so here's a pic:

But I can also say that these are certainly very comfortable. As far as sizing, I'm typically a 9.5 wide or 10 wide in most shoes, but I got these in a 10.5 since they don't have wide sizes, and they fit perfectly.
APL, sorry to say, but you are seeing the lighter, painted-on, finish wearing off. Mine did the exact same thing when I was just trying to condition them.

The darker leather is the "actual" color of those boots. For whatever reason they paint a finish on. To hide poorer leather? To make the item uniform?

Whatever it is, it's kind of a surprise when it happens. I took mine all the way down to that "base" finish with some saddle soap, Lexol leather conditioner, and a good bit of elbow grease.

I've seen this with some other leather items, specifically a Pacific Canvas & Leather Webley holster. It went from the dark, nearly black, brown to a medium brown.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

I wondered if it was something like that as it seemed to almost stain when I got the leather wet, even just using water. I guess I'll just let it work out over time, just wearing the #### out of them. That spot is generally covered by the hemline.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

I just got mine in the mail and boy am I relieved! I read one review that said they ran small, so I ordered a half size bigger. Then I read a bunch of reviews that said they fit perfectly so I was really concerned they were going to be too big, which is an even bigger problem since they sold out after I placed my order. I got the thickest, cushioniest insole I could find and they fit perfectly! They need A LOT of breaking in, but so far so good. I'm very happy with them and thrilled to finally have some proper Indy shoes.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I had them maybe a week, and was trying to soften them with conditioner and the rag came up brown.

Having experienced similar with the holster, I just went to work and took them down to the base. One ended up a little more glossy, maybe even a shade lighter, than the other, so I can see why they may have applied the topcoat.

I have another pair, still new in the box, maybe I can get some pics up tonight showing the difference.
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

I received my Lands End Crosby boots about 2 weeks ago. I think they are good value for the money I paid. Only trouble I found with them is how stiff the leather is around the top of the boot. After wearing them for 2 days, I had two gouges in my ankle where the leather had rubbed against my ankle and rubbed the skin away. They are now sitting in the cupboard with a vase in each boot to try and get the ankle part a bit wider so it doesnt rub.Would love a pair of Aldens...but doesnt everyone??
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I've had mine for a few weeks now. I also own a pair of the latest boot offering from Todd's and I've been alternating wearing them.

Side by side, the Land's End is more brown. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the color of Todd's boot on the web site. In person, however, the Todd's boot has more red in the leather. Not quite brick or pumpkin, but the red tone is definitely more prominent than Todd's web site photos would lead you to believe. To me, other than the shine of the leather, the Land's End boot looks more "Indy" right out of the box due to the color. However, I should note that even just a few weeks of wear has noticeably darkened up the Todd's. After some more normal wear, I'd imagine it will become increasingly more difficult to tell the two boots apart based on color.

The leather in Todd's shoe is thicker and actually looks and feels like leather. The Land's End boot has a much more plastic / vinyl feel to it. Despite being thicker, I feel like the Todd's boot is more supple.

The one thing I really like about the Land's End over the Todd's is that the Land's End has a "quieter" sole. The Todd's boot is just plain noisy to walk in. The Todd's boot also just feels heavier and more substantial on my foot -- this isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, as the Todd's boot also feels MUCH better constructed than the Land's End.

My original intention with the Land's End was to distress them like others in this thread have done. I haven't really gotten around to it and, to be honest, I don't think I will need to. While I haven't been abusing them, I haven't babied them, either. Already, the plastic shine is starting to fade and I can see where the leather is going to develop some nice "crease" character.

I think the Todd's boot was a better investment in terms of overall quality. Had I purchased the Land's End at their full retail price I imagine I'd be pretty disappointed in them. As is, though, I got my pair for around $40 and I think they are a FANTASTIC boot at that price. Also, at that price, I won't have any qualms whatsoever about letting these boots age up and take a beating -- whereas I feel like I want to protect the Todd's a little more.
Last edited by Zuiun on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flowah
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Flowah »

I can't seem to find the boots anywhere. Does anyone know where I might find them?
Zuiun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zuiun »

I got mine from eBay.
Switch625
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Switch625 »

pdraycott wrote:I received my Lands End Crosby boots about 2 weeks ago. I think they are good value for the money I paid. Only trouble I found with them is how stiff the leather is around the top of the boot. After wearing them for 2 days, I had two gouges in my ankle where the leather had rubbed against my ankle and rubbed the skin away. They are now sitting in the cupboard with a vase in each boot to try and get the ankle part a bit wider so it doesnt rub.Would love a pair of Aldens...but doesnt everyone??
That was the problem I had. I just rolled up and stuffed some paper towels into my socks around the ankles and that did the trick after a few days of wear. They're still a little stiff but they no longer cut into my ankles.

Zuiun wrote:I've had mine for a few weeks now. I also own a pair of the latest boot offering from Todd's and I've been alternating wearing them.

Side by side, the Land's End is more brown. In fact, it looks almost exactly like the color of Todd's boot on the web site. In person, however, in person the Todd's boot has more red in the leather. Not quite brick or pumpkin, but the red tone is definitely more prominent than Todd's web site photos would lead you to believe. To me, other than the shine of the leather, the Land's End boot looks more "Indy" right out of the box due to the color. However, I should note that even just a few weeks of wear has noticeably darkened up the Todd's. After some more normal wear, I'd imagine it will become increasingly more difficult to tell the two boots apart based on color.

The leather in Todd's shoe is thicker and actually looks and feels like leather. The Land's End boot has a much more plastic / vinyl feel to it. Despite being thicker, I feel like the Todd's boot is more supple.

The one thing I really like about the Land's End over the Todd's is that the Land's End has a "quieter" sole. The Todd's boot is just plain noisy to walk in. The Todd's boot also just feels heavier and more substantial on my foot -- this isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, as the Todd's boot also feels MUCH better constructed than the Land's End.

My original intention with the Land's End was to distress them like others in this thread have done. I haven't really gotten around to it and, to be honest, I don't think I will need to. While I haven't been abusing them, I haven't babied them, either. Already, the plastic shine is starting to fade and I can see where the leather is going to develop some nice "crease" character.

I think the Todd's boot was a better investment in terms of overall quality. Had I purchased the Land's End at their full retail price I imagine I'd be pretty disappointed in them. As is, though, I got my pair for around $40 and I think they are a FANTASTIC boot at that price. Also, at that price, I won't have any qualms whatsoever about letting these boots age up and take a beating -- whereas I feel like I want to protect the Todd's a little more.
Great review and comparison. Aside from the plastic-ness of the leather you mentioned, which will probably improve as I continue to wear them, I really love the boots.