Meet My Whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Meet My Whips

Post by Oildale Jones »

Last year I got a great deal on this natural 8-footer from jnicktem, who got it from Wild West Whips. I'd intended it as a belt-hanger, but that didn't stop me from trying to crack it. It was practically brand new, still pretty stiff and very creaky, but what did I know about whips? I got some Pecard's and applied it sparingly. Mostly I was trying to keep the light color.

I've been reading up on whip care and breaking in and conditioning; I'll apply what I've learned and perhaps have a real, crackable whip. I've been watching Adam Winrich's videos and taking it slow.

I thought I might invest in a pricier/sturdier whip someday, but I was in no rush; however, when Nebraska announced an upcoming local whip "cracktice," I thought maybe I should have a decent whip to learn and practice with. This one is very light in the handle so I don't know that it's the best thing to start with, in terms of technique, so when another member posted some pre-loved whips for sale at a fantastic price, I kept an eye on them and thought about them for a few days, then jumped. I won one and bought another, and it turned out to be more rewarding than I could have expected. It was like, oh, getting my hands on my Garrison Raider for the first time. Visually and tactilely stimulating.

This is an 8-foot Crease-N-Corral KOTCS in cowhide. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have gone for it because of the color, but the saddle tan thread won me over. Plus this was more for actual cracking than for impressioning, and anyway, any doubts I had vanished when I picked this hefty thing up. Being used to the light weight of the Wild West, I was surprised at how heavy this whip is.

Having virtually no technique to speak of, I'm really taking it easy and just trying to learn the feel of the whip(s). Today I had them out and with this one did a very easy, almost lazy Cattleman's Crack; the whip rolled out as if in slow motion and then POW! :o

I am really going to like this bad boy. As a bonus, it smells of cloves. :)

I'd been thinking about getting my son a whip for when he's ready, and cute little 5-footer won me over instantly.

It's cowhide in a gorgeous red color, substantial and supple. In fact, the other night the first thing I wanted to do when I got home from work was hold it in my hands. (Is that weird?)

My wife—collector of shoes and jeans and hats, etc.— expressed some concern about my having "so many" whips. What, three? Hey, I sold some jackets so it's all good. And just wait till she sees what I want to buy next! :-

I'm really beginning to like whips—I appreciate the craftsmanship and the plaiting appeals to my sense of order—and I'm looking forward to whipping it good!
Last edited by Oildale Jones on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Meet My Whips

Post by indyclone »

great looking whips!
and good to hear you want your son to get into it . i got my son a gus caciedo 6ft whip and he loves it .
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Ha! You're the person that won that auction. morethanatimelord was the other one wanting to get ahold of it.

Nice whips :D
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

riku1914 wrote:Ha! You're the person that won that auction. morethanatimelord was the other one wanting to get ahold of it.

Nice whips :D
Yes, id been winning that whip on ebay for a whole week. The auction ended at 5.30 am here in the UK and i didnt wake up intime to rebid...Gutted i missed out as i was prepared to pay more :(
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I was hoping it wasn't one of us.

Sorry, man. That's what max bids are for. :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Nice whips there Oildale!
I hope you bring that CnC Indy4 to "Cracktice". I'd really like to see one in person.

Are you sure that whip you bought from jnicktem was made by Midwest? :-k
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

kwad wrote:Nice whips there Oildale!
I hope you bring that CnC Indy4 to "Cracktice". I'd really like to see one in person.

It doesn't look very midwest to me either.

Also, the strands that come out of the fall hitch are far too long. Cut them 1-1.25" long, it'll help a lot with drag.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

kwad wrote:Nice whips there Oildale!

I'm bringing all three!

Oops—Wild West Whips, not Midwest! :oops:

Thanks, riku. I'll do it.
parttime
Vendor

Post by parttime »

Congrats' on your whips Oildale.

I'm wondering if the Indy 4 came with any kind of a story. I remember it well.
It was purchased by a very good customer.

-Dusty
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Dusty, like I said, I don't know much about whips, but this thing...WOW. :TOH:

The only story I got was in the auction listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320857808001?ss ... 500wt_1219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Nebraska S.

Meet My Whips

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Great looking whips, Oildale! I hope you bring them all along for The Cracktice!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

I was told a little more about the whip. Apparently its about 4 years old,was bought with other whips from a collector and had been used over the years but well looked after :) The seller was also very kind to send me some detailed close up photos. Its a great looked whip