Darn Alden Price increase but I bought 'em and they're here

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Darn Alden Price increase but I bought 'em and they're here

Post by riothamus »

Every time I think about getting my first pair of aldens the darn price goes up. First they went from ~$385 to $435 and now they've gone up to $468 since I last looked! Anybody know a source that hasn't gone up yet or is less than that? I'd prefer the lug sole version but I'm open to others. Oh and I THINK I want size 12.5. I usually wear 13s because most shoes don't come in half that large. However, the one time recently I was sized, I was closer to 12.5.

Thanks,
Riothamus
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Darn Alden Price increases

Post by wwtwo »

Riothamus,
I can't speak to your size requirement, but (as mentioned in another post: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Bakershoes out of Oregon sells Aldens at a much lower cost. They don't sell the Ultimate Indy, which is a Leather Soul exclusive, but they sell the 405 and 403. Last I spoke with them, they had a fairly long wait. But if you can wait, I imagine they're worth it! Good luck.

Cheers,
- two
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Thanks, I did see that thread. The lug sole that I refer to is the 404 according to theshoemart.com. That's the one I'd prefer. I even like that color better. Obviously I'm not going for SA, but I don't believe I've every read a negative thing about these shoes. I've found a few online stores that have them a little cheaper. Even the J. Crew Alden is $18 less. I want to try some on or at least get measured so I hope I can deal with a local store. Anybody know if all I have to work with is what's on the Alden site's list? Or have you found that other stores also might carry aldens?

Riothamus
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

riothamus wrote:Thanks, I did see that thread. The lug sole that I refer to is the 404 according to theshoemart.com. That's the one I'd prefer. I even like that color better. Obviously I'm not going for SA, but I don't believe I've every read a negative thing about these shoes. I've found a few online stores that have them a little cheaper. Even the J. Crew Alden is $18 less. I want to try some on or at least get measured so I hope I can deal with a local store. Anybody know if all I have to work with is what's on the Alden site's list? Or have you found that other stores also might carry aldens?

Riothamus

Oh, no! ANOTHER Indy boot I'll have to resist buying! Darn it all! Again, I can't speak to your size requirement, but I can speak of the Alden quality and you will not regret your purchase. They WILL last for the long, long term. Maybe have your feet measured by a local store and send that information to Alden (or to whichever company you intend to seal the deal)?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,
-two
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

Riothamus,
FYI, ebay has a pair of 405s the owner resoled with commando soles in size 12. Description says they're brand new and worn only five times. Thought I'd let you know.
Regards,
- two
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Thanks wwtwo. I have those in my watch list. There's one or two other pairs of Aldens sz 12 on there as well. I'm hesitant to get 12s though since I've never tried on a pair let alone owned a pair. I usually wear 13s, but I can wear the occasional 12. Without the possibility of return I don't know that I can waste the money. Looks like nobody nearby has them in stock. I was told that these don't come in 12.5 though... Oh well, I'll keep looking.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I feel you on Alden prices! I remain convinced Alden's will be the one piece of gear I will never own...
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Wow, I can't believe how much they have gone up! For costuming purpose Todd's are the perfect way to go, then on the other hand Alden's are better for everyday. Thanks for posting this!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

It gets worse. I called the local store (still 45 minutes away from me in SC) and a) they don't have them, and b) they're $505! :shock:

So I can either pay $468 for the 404s from Shoemart, $450 from J.Crew for their model, or $435 for the 403s/405s... I'd really like to get a pair and my wife has pretty much given me the ok to get them whatever they cost (within reason of ~$500) since I've been saving for them and have a good chunk sitting in savings.

It seems that if I don't get a pair now they're just going to get more expensive. And they'll last me forever. I just might have to replace the soles. What do you guys think of the lug sole vs cork sole? I was preferring lug so I don't have to worry about ice and rain, but to save $30 and get the regulars or just get what I think I want... Decisions, decisions!

Now I wish I'd gotten the 13s that were on ebay a few weeks ago...
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Just called the store in Raleigh, NC (I live in NC technically, but I work in SC during the week). The store there doesn't have my size but can order them. They charge $435 still for the 405 and $445 for the 404s. So I might need to go with them so I can at least try them on. With tax they'll be more than shoemart but if they don't fit I don't have to buy them... I knew I should have bought some when they were $380!

Riothamus
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Lug Vs Cork? IMO I would go with Lug. Reason why? Utahs climate has snow and ice my Aldens are beyound slippery. Forevery day general wear especially in a warm climate I would say Cork. Also cork is SA. Also not that I would go hiking in my Aldens but I would prefer Lug if I did. So I guess it's really depends what are you going to do with them? Hike a lot, or be a city slicker?
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I'm going to be wearing them primarily around town and to work. However, I've never had shoes with a non-rubber sole so I have no idea how slippery they might get in wet or icy conditions. It does sometimes get icy in NC/SC. I also like the color of the 404s (lugs). I'm not going for SA. I'd go with a close enough but Aldens are one piece of gear that are pretty much universally said to be excellent quality on their own and can be worn anytime and with almost any attire. Other than maybe redwings they're the best quality of all the close enoughs I think.

I figure the lugs are more versitile so I'll go with them. I'm going into the NC store on Saturday to get fitted. We'll see how long it will take.

Riothamus
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

As a rough guide, I use mine in Tokyo for business and for treks here...It gets icy, but rarely snowy, and the shoes are perfect with no lug soles for that...Walking on streets is easy, on track the same, and on ice it's a little dodgy..We've had ice down the last few days, and I've tried several times, but still prefer my Timbs or my Red Wings for the white stuff....

I think overall, being where I am, and using them for what I do, the cork soles are fine, but if I was in more wild county, or a colder climate, I'd say the lugs would be the only choice...

Being where you are, I'd say either would work fine...I'm guessing you don't get heavy snows and only a light icing or so? So the cork would work fine...Which means it's basically your own personal choice...

I like the ones I'm with...But Tokyo is warm most of the year, and there's not so much jungle around....(Some..To the north...LOL)..

Regards :TOH:
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Well I went into the Raleigh, NC store Saturday and got fitted. My two feet are slightly different and my left foot has a low arch. Apparently Alden doesn't have any 405s or 404s in the 12.5-13 range. 18-24 weeks :shock: However they did have a 12.5D and a 13C (might have switched the letters) in the 403 that the store was going to order for me to try on. Once I see if one of those fits I'll be able to order a 404 in the correct size.

The gentleman said Alden has a problem with a lack of craftsmen. Nobody wants to move to the hometown and craft shoes anymore. Such a shame as quality products seem to get more and more rare these days.

Riothamus
IndyFan71
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyFan71 »

In defense of Alden's price, I've been wearing mine daily since April 2007 (if I remember correctly) and they are as good as the day I bought them, only with more character and softer. On this wear schedule, I imagine I'll have them for another 4-5 years before they wear down to the point of replacement.

If that's the case, then I've spent $325 (at the time) for a shoe that lasted me 9-10 years and got more SA with age versus spending $700 on cheap imitation shoes that got worse with age and made my feet uncomfortable. (estimating $70 a pair replaced annually from daily wear for 10 years)

In my mind, $500 is a fair price to pay if you wear them as your daily shoes.

Cheers,

Indyfan71
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cokewithvanilla »

Have you called Alden of SF or Alden of DC? I recently got mine for $435 at Alden of SF ans was treated very well. Nice, knowledgeable people.

Oh, and all I can say is pull the trigger! I was weary about buying $435 boots, but I've never been more satisfied with a purchase. You can see the quality from a mile away and you feel different walking in them. Now i'm looking for an Indy jacket that can match the quality of my boots!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

The prices must have all recently gone up as both stores now have them for $468. I'm very close to pulling the trigger. The store ended up not getting them in yet. They got a shipment in that got damaged and I think mine were in it and they sent them back. I just wish I could try on some for sizing. I've been having some huge troubles fitting hiking boots in the past few months...

Anybody in NC or SC have 12.5 or 13 size boots?

Riothamus
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The DC store offered to send me multiple pairs so that I could try them on.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

After not hearing from the local store for several days I decided to bite the bullet on an online purchase. Supposedly they shipped on Friday, but according to the store they shipped direct from Alden. However, the local NC store said Alden didn't have my size in stock of the 404s... :-k

The online store is waiting for Alden to provide a tracking number. They said they would expect a Tuesday or Wednesday delivery. Guess we'll wait and see!

Riothamus
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

riothamus wrote:After not hearing from the local store for several days I decided to bite the bullet on an online purchase. Supposedly they shipped on Friday, but according to the store they shipped direct from Alden. However, the local NC store said Alden didn't have my size in stock of the 404s... :-k

The online store is waiting for Alden to provide a tracking number. They said they would expect a Tuesday or Wednesday delivery. Guess we'll wait and see!

Riothamus
Good luck. Aldens do not disappoint. The waiting is the hardest part!
Regards,
Two
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread to closely, but did you ever get to visit the Aldne shop and get correctly sized?
I ask this becasue Aldens are orthopedic shoes, and their sizes ar not exactly the same as your standard off the shelf shoe.

I'd hate to see you going back and forth with Alden trying to get the right fit...
And as long as you don't try walking on ice, or in freezing conditions, the regular soles are probably fine.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I did go to the local shop that sells alden. They measured me but didn't have my size in the indy boot. They put me at a 12.5 D to a 13 C (not sure I believed the C part on that) and were going to order some 403s from alden to try. However, due to I don't know what, they didn't get them in and I haven't heard back in over a week. So I went ahead and ordered. A lot of online stores and even another store in SC said that these boots don't come in 12.5 anyway... I'll just have to see when the boots come in.

Riothamus
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Delivered today! Of course I'm not in NC right now so I have to wait to try them on until tomorrow.

I guess I'll post another thread about the boots. Either that or the mods can change the subject?

Thanks for the advice and help.

Riothamus
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Darn Alden Price increase but I bought 'em and they're h

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:TOH:

We'll just keep it here :tup:
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

TS, thanks! Perfect solution.

So I tried them on when I finally go home on Friday... As I feared, they're too big. Well maybe. They lace up just fine, though the sides of the boot meet at the top. And the width isn't TOO wide. I'm not sure how much narrower a C or a 12.5 D would be, but the width is tolerable. My heel seems to stay in place once I lace them up as well. Wearing thicker winter socks makes the width just about perfect as does having superfeet inside (I know, they're orthos, so I shouldn't need help, right?). The length is the biggie. My big toe is an inch or more from the front of the boot (on my bigger foot). That's about .5" behind the stitching. They're not uncomfortable, but they seem awfully long.

Unfortunately, 12.5s are even more rare than 13s! Some stores don't even list them and some stores I've called said they don't come in 12.5. Alden says they do which is the important thing I suppose. These even came straight from Alden. The store in SC that had 12s in stock is now sold out of them. #-o Anybody in the Columbia, SC or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area have some 12s or 12.5s that I could try on and compare? The guy that measured me in NC wasn't sure what I would need. I suppose its possible that the SC store would have more knowledge since they at least seem to generally stock more Aldens vs just being able to order them.

Riothamus
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ya I'd say they are too big. You want your big toe to be about half an inch in FRONT of the stitching.

Kyle
littledragon88
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by littledragon88 »

I just got my Alden 405s. I must say that these are comfortable, but I must agree that the cork sole is bit slippery during ice and snow. I live in Norway, and we experience quite a lot of snow between November and February/March. But hey, what don't you sacrifice for SA \:D/ ?
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

riothamus,
My first pair of 405s were too big - exactly as you described. I always thought they were too long, but talked myself out of returning them because 1. I waited so long to get them (both in terms of after seeing Raiders in '81 and also after ordering them from the SF store 20 years later) and was excited to finally have them and 2. they FELT like they fit, as in the heel didn't slip etc. In the end, the extra length bugged the bejeezus out of me and I got another pair which were a half size smaller. That half size made all the difference. I did a shoemart search - they seem to have your size. You might want to take a look.

Best,
- Two
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Well, I have a sort of morally-questionable idea. J.Crew has the Alden 405 in 12 and 13. And I can return to the store. So I'm thinking I order one of each to compare side by side and while I won't be able to try on a 12.5, I WILL try on the size up and down and hopefully tell if a 12.5 will work. The place I ordered from doesn't have 12.5 listed, but they already told me they could order the Black 405s (which aren't on their site) so I'm hopeful they can order the 12.5s. I just want to know if 12.5 will work before I send back the 13s. And the reason I want to go with the site I found is they're still $445 instead of $468. I suppose in the grand scheme of things $23 on a $450ish pair of boots isn't much, but every little bit helps.

Riothamus
Stubley
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Stubley »

Riothamus,

I'm in a similar quandary as you. I'm hard to fit and I value fit, support and comfort in footwear. I recently contemplated a purchase of hiking boots in preparation for a vacation. I ran across an article while researching boots. While several of the issues the author discusses are specific to hiking gear, a lot of it works for all types of footwear.

After reading the article, I used some of the author's tip while shopping. I found the info pretty helpful. I hope you can too.

The article is at http://www.patc.us/hiking/gear/boots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Stubley
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Stubley, thanks for the link. I actually came across it while searching for my hiking boots. I just finished (I hope) looking for a pair of boots that works for me. I must have gone through at least 25-30 pairs. I hope the ones I have now work.

Back to the Aldens, I'll post once the J.Crews come in and I try to make a final decision on sizing.

Riothamus
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Well, if you measured 12-12.5 I guess it makes sense the 13's would be big. I understand your having tried, though, with not finding the 12.5 around anyplace. If you always wear thin dress socks, try the 12. If you wear thicker crew or work socks, even sometimes, hold out for the 12.5. I find these boots run true to size relative to other boots, not to dress shoes.

My rule of thumb is to get the size the Brannock tool says, then find the right width. If you automatically order the half size down, or watch where your toes are relative to the stitching, you might get it right, but you might not. That's a bother when your doing fitting through the mail. There's only something like, just under 3/8" difference in length between a 12 and a 13, so don't get hung up on the length. When you get a larger size, you're mainly getting more VOLUME overall. So when you go smaller, you're going tighter, not just shorter. More important is where the ball of your foot lands in the boot.

I measured for a 12D. So, I listened to what everyone said and ordered my first 405's from the SF store in 11.5. I even ordered an E width in case the D was too narrow. They were uncomfortable. Every pair of 12D Alden boots I have fit perfectly. I wear crew socks.

You should be able to wiggle your piggies some!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Illinois James wrote:Well, if you measured 12-12.5 I guess it makes sense the 13's would be big. I understand your having tried, though, with not finding the 12.5 around anyplace. If you always wear thin dress socks, try the 12. If you wear thicker crew or work socks, even sometimes, hold out for the 12.5. I find these boots run true to size relative to other boots, not to dress shoes.
I measured between a 12.5 and 13. And I do normally wear regular crew socks and occasionally thicker boot socks. The only time I wear dress socks is with a suit. I have to disagree with you on the true to size bit but then again I've only tried on one pair so far. They are far larger both in width and length than other size 13 boots. They're definitely bigger than the Land's End Crosby discussed here.
Illinois James wrote:My rule of thumb is to get the size the Brannock tool says, then find the right width. If you automatically order the half size down, or watch where your toes are relative to the stitching, you might get it right, but you might not. That's a bother when your doing fitting through the mail. There's only something like, just under 3/8" difference in length between a 12 and a 13, so don't get hung up on the length. When you get a larger size, you're mainly getting more VOLUME overall. So when you go smaller, you're going tighter, not just shorter. More important is where the ball of your foot lands in the boot.
Yeah, that's why I was concerned/confused when deciding on a size. The local NC shop said "12.5D or 13C" and said they would order me one of each in the 403 so I could at least try the sizes on. After one "damaged" shipment, I never heard back from them. Based on how the 13Ds fit right now, I'm pretty sure the 12.5 length will work, but I'm not sure on width. I have plenty of wiggle room and could possibly lose some but I'm not sure how much. But when I walk I feel like I'm wearing clown shoes (a slight exaggeration, but I can tell they're too long). I ended up getting size 14 hiking boots because the ones I liked best for my left arch was too short and my toes would touch the front downhill. Size 14 ended up perfect. As you said, there's a little more width but not a huge amount. It's either the same or less than the 13W of the same boot I tried on.
Illinois James wrote:I measured for a 12D. So, I listened to what everyone said and ordered my first 405's from the SF store in 11.5. I even ordered an E width in case the D was too narrow. They were uncomfortable. Every pair of 12D Alden boots I have fit perfectly. I wear crew socks.

You should be able to wiggle your piggies some!
This was my concern as well. I've seen several pairs of 405 size 12 on ebay, but without knowing if me being 12.5 means I could wear 12s I couldn't do it without a return option. I'll just have to judge the width in the 12D J.Crews and try to judge. Maybe I'll find out I can wear 12 (doubtful). A question though. Did you find that the 11.5E was about equal in width to the 12D? That would help me decide on D or E for my 12.5.

Thanks for your helpful comments. I appreciate them.

Riothamus
Stubley
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Stubley »

You are welcome. Good luck with your search. I hope to start a similar one soon.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Riothamus, the 11.5 405 seems the same as the 12D in width. Now, I neglected to mention, my opinions are just mine, as everybody's feet are different, as you know.

I have many pairs of these Alden boots, including two in shell, certainly more than I need I'm kind of embarrassed to say, except that most of them I've purchased second hand, and as far as I know they're all on the same Trubalance last, as well as 3 pair of the Crosby's. My opinion is that they do run true to size as far as work boots go. The 405's are bigger than the one old pair of cheap hikers I have, but the 405 is a work boot, which is all I wear.

They probably are a little larger than the Crosby's as you said; but the Crosby, to me, isn't a work boot, but more a casual boot which fits more like a dress shoe.

Did you mention in the other thread your new 13 Crosby's seemed a little narrow? I guess if I were you I'd try the D and E in the 12.5 if I could find some.

And, if it helps, although most folks have the impression that they'll break shoes in and stretch them, my experience is that, like a jacket, these boots seem to want to shrink with age, like most leather, the more they're worn. Leather conditioning slows this, but boots I received new that seemed 'roomy', now seem to fit like a glove. But the new leather lining in these helps prevent it too.

And, of course, some seem different even marked the same size, even when they're new.

That's why I feel the Brannock should get you down to two sizes to try, which it seems like it did for you.

I got a feeling you're right on with the 12.5D.

Sorry so wordy!!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

James,

Thanks for the info. I do realize that my mileage may vary from your experiences. Maybe I just haven't worn work boots in a while. For quite some time I had to regularly wear steel toed boots for work. I had size 13 wolverines that I suppose were maybe a little bigger than casual boots, but not as bit (at least not as long) as the 13 aldens. I wish I could get some 12.5 to try that I either didn't have to buy or could return without losing a return shipping or restocking fee. The best I can do is try the 12s. I did get a phone call from J. Crew today though. They are sold completely out of the 13s so I'm only getting 12. At least the 12s are what I really wanted but boy, Alden Indy boots are popular aren't they!

I hear what you're saying about the difference between a work boot (Alden) and a casual boot (Crosby). I don't know that the Crosby's are narrow per se, but they're stiff and narrower than the hiking boots I just bought. It's been a long time since I wore casual boots. I've been wearig semi-casual slip on dress shoes which are nice and roomy and some low sketchers for years (oh and five fingers in the summer). I've only worn boots when doing barn chores and they were never very comfortable, but they were free from work. This may be a big part, although I used to always wear boots or high tops, it's been years. So now I'm having trouble having it feel "right" if that makes sense.

The quality of the Aldens over the Crosby is definitely obvious. I'm still debating keeping the black Crosby's to wear to the office but I doubt I need the browns if I can get the Aldens to work.

To keep the shrinkage from happening, I'll get some shoe trees and also conditioner. The shrinkage may work with the width, but since my big toe is at least 1/2 an inch from the toe stitch, I doubt they'll shrink that much. Though I am worried about my feet getting bigger as I age. During my research for hiking boots I read that feet can flatten out and get bigger and longer as you age. Not sure if it's real, but I read it several places.

Hopefully the J.Crews will be here early next week and I can find out my size!

Thanks all,
Riothamus
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Well, the 405's seem long when you first try them. There's not much useful space at the end of a boot that narrows at the toe. If you have the right size, they will seem long compared to a casual shoe or hiker.

For what you pay for these, don't settle until you have the fit you want. It's how they fit, really, and nothing else. Length from size to size varies little. Your varying volume.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

For those that have Aldens, how close do the sides come together when you lace them up? I realize to a point this has to do with your ankle size, which may not be as proportional to your foot size, but I'm curious to know. These touch at the top and almost the whole speed lacing length.

Riothamus
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Riothamus,

Some pairs of mine touch at the top and some don't. My 11.5 E boots touch right at the top. My size 12D shell boots touch basically the length of the speed hooks. I just got some 12D 403's that nearly touch. Ultimately, I don't care, because I know an 11.5 D is too tight for me. They feel good and that's all that matters.

I actually have some 11.5D 405 boots that I got at a bargain and if I wear a thin dress sock and spray them with rubbing alcohol once in awhile AFTER putting them on, I can wear them, but they are uncomfortable at first, and I always feel my toes being crowded toward the end(that never goes away), even though they are 'longer' than my 12D Redwing ropers. The tongue shows quite a bit on these. A lot less volume overall. Big difference in half a size.

I have some new unworn12D Adventurebilts from about 2 years ago I'm gonna slip on to see if maybe they fit differently than a new pair of 403's. Maybe there have been some slight changes in sizing by Alden for this boot. Although I can't imagine how that's likely.

What size are you trying now? 13D? TheShoemart has the standard 405 in 12.5D right now, but I don't know if that suits you.
James
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hey, not to get off topic, but while everyone is discussing size and fit can anyone answer this?

Every now and then I feel pressure where my finger is pointing (in the picture below) on my left foot. Is this a length or width issue? Is it worth getting a half size up or a width up to correct this, or would having them stretched work?

Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

cwv, if this just started happening, my opinion is maybe they are shrinking with age a little, assuming there's not something going on with your foot. They can shrink after sweat and moisture from the elements cause wet/drying cycles, even if you treat the leather. A slightly oversized set of shoe trees might help you, too.

Having a cobbler stretch them could be a good idea; it can be done up to a point. They have all of those little bunion tacks they can put on the stretcher just where you need them, too. Especially if you aren't in the market for new boots. You can buy a cheap stretcher: I bought one at Wallyworld, but never had very good results. That could be my fault, though.

I think I mentioned the rubbing alcohol thing, which is really what those little bottles of stretching compound are, at least some brands of it, anyway. I put the boots on, then spray it on and kind of massage it in before it evaporates, and I can instantly feel the leather sort of relax. Then I rub Lexol into the boot when I take it off, and put in an oversize shoe tree. I repeat this until it's no longer snug anywhere, but I always use the tree.

Test out a little spot first if your boots are chromexel (403's). I've only done this on standard 405's and a black pair of Ultimate Indy's. I really don't know anything about the chrome tanning process, but I think it actually makes a very tough, longer lasting finish. But better be safe and not the wreck the finish. This process drys the leather badly if you don't put moisture in afterward.

Did you buy the size you measured? A GOOD Redwing store should get you close. I just bought some 952 wings the other day for work, and I swear I almost walked out of the store wearing one Redwing and one Alden! The sales lady stopped me, after one step, but a few customers saw me too! The boots felt that similar.

If you do shop for more 405's, try on the next size up as well as the size you currently wear in the next width wider, if you can. My folks live in Tennessee, and I don't know where you can just walk in and try on Aldens; maybe Nashville or Memphis somewhere. Michaelson??
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Ok, so I got a pair of J.Crew in size 12D and tried them on. They felt a bit narrow and tight overall but I THINK that the length could work. I won't know unless I can try on 12E. So I'm either a 12E or a 12.5D I think at this point. The 403s are definitely more flexible out of the box than the J.Crew 405s.

Time to try again...

Riothamus