Wings signature series size question?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

shootist16
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wings signature series size question?

Post by shootist16 »

I am 5'7" and 187lbs (hopefully going down to 180). I have some jackets (no Indy jackets) in xl and some in l. I have lost 40 lbs and the xl's are too big I'm sure. I just cant decide if a large signature series is too big or just right. I would like a brown goatskin but they don't have any mediums. Anyone out there about my build that can offer advice?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Wings signature series size question?

Post by Michaelson »

In the signature series, a 'large' is closer to a 44R in sizing than anything else.

That's what I normally get when I'm going after a Wings signature.

All bets are off if you're looking at a Legend pattern version, though. You have to go UP a size to equal the signature pattern in sizing.

That said, you could ask to try a large with the priviso you can exchange it for a medium should it prove to be to large. Just be sure to NOT take ANY tags off the jacket, and return it exactly as you received it. They are usually very easy to work with regarding sizing if those rules are strictly followed.

That said, this is what I'VE experienced over the years, so accept the information for what it's worth. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Whats your actual chest measurement ?
shootist16
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shootist16 »

CRB wrote:Whats your actual chest measurement ?

chest is 42 and waist is 36 currently
shootist16
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shootist16 »

I got an email from Wings saying they recommend an XL. All they had was my height and weight, not my measurements. I cant help but feel that an XL would be way too big.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Shootist,

An XL sounds like it would be too big for you.
I'm 180 pounds with a 42 chest and 36 waist. My size LARGE Import Legend is VERY roomy (on the verge of being too big).
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

kwad wrote:Shootist,

I'm 180 pounds with a 42 chest and 36 waist. My size LARGE Import Legend is VERY roomy (on the verge of being too big).
I'm 5'9" and 165-170 with a 43 chest, usually wear a 42 jacket and a medium shirt. 34" waist. I have a Legend L import based on their charts. the medium might well be nearly too small. The large verges on too large. From what I understand the Signature series is cut larger than the Legend series. Of course sometimes it is difficult to say. I carry weight equally abut everywhere. Some people have a smaller pant size, but have a much larger belly and need the larger cut size. In some sense w/ trying them on first it seems a @#$% shoot.
shootist16
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shootist16 »

warbird wrote:

I'm 5'9" and 165-170 with a 43 chest, usually wear a 42 jacket and a medium shirt. 34" waist. I have a Legend L import based on their charts. the medium might well be nearly too small. The large verges on too large. From what I understand the Signature series is cut larger than the Legend series. Of course sometimes it is difficult to say. I carry weight equally abut everywhere. Some people have a smaller pant size, but have a much larger belly and need the larger cut size. In some sense w/ trying them on first it seems a @#$% shoot.
You have basically confirmed my fears. From everything I've read over the last few days it seems likely that a medium would be too small and a large would be bordering on too big. I do want one though and it seems as though the large would be my only choice. I'm just not sure how it would look.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Why is everyone offering opinions based on owned Legends? :|

He's asking about the Signature series, folks.

How about someone who HAS owned or CURRENTLY owns a Signature series pattern jacket give some input, like I did?

shootist16, do NOT come to a conclusion using information based on the Legend pattern jacket. It isn't the same pattern what-so-ever. They're completely different cuts and sizing. You're comparing apples to oranges. =;

Please re-read my first post.

Regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I am a 42" actual chest and my medium is the correct size. I also have it for sale in the bazaar :)
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

My Medium Signature Series VIP jacket has the following dimensions:

Shoulder width, seam to seam = 19.5"
Chest width, pit to pit = 22.5"
Sleeve length, top of shoulder to cuff = 25"
Back length, base of collar to bottom = 26.75"
Mr. T
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. T »

Shootist, I've owned a Signature Series and a Legend Import in Antique Cowhide, both Size Large. I'm pretty much your size. I sent the Signature back because it was way too large. The Antique Cowhide fit great. But, I sold that to get one of the new Legends. Wish I had that Antique Cowhide back. Oh well, Ebay some day in the future, I guess. By the way, it looks like the medium signature size compares to the Large Legend quite nicely. I'd go with a medium in signature or a large in Legend.
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

shootist16 wrote:
warbird wrote:

You have basically confirmed my fears. From everything I've read over the last few days it seems likely that a medium would be too small and a large would be bordering on too big. I do want one though and it seems as though the large would be my only choice. I'm just not sure how it would look.
No need to fret or fear about anything. The worst thing that can happen is you buy a jacket and have to return or exchange it.

My only point was really that I thought the XL would be too large. As I said mine is the Legend , not the sig, and I was simply basing my opinion on my jacket and what I know of the Signature by reading here. My large does fit in the Legend and I fear the medium might be smaller than I would like. Sometimes you are simply on the line between two sizes and you have to base your choice on reputation, what size you wear in general and how you want the jacket to feel. And again you have to base things on somewhat of a guess as we are a built differently.

For me I would rather err on the side of larger as I wear it in the winter and would prefer to have room to layer. It seems there has been some good advice from those with the Sig series jackets. I know if I bought one I would likely order the medium as I know the Legend large is just right, but any bigger would be too big. Then again I know some people like slimmer fitting jackets. I have motorcycle jackets for that.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

You might actually be lucky.. I'd try a medium if I were you, at your height. I measure 45" in the chest and that's the only place a medium was tight for me. And my large seems just a little roomy. The Legends are different. I have a U.S. version and I need an XL, to go along with what's already been said.

The bazaar is a great place to find what you want. Terrible for the finances, though.
adamdouglas
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by adamdouglas »

Illinois James wrote:You might actually be lucky.. I'd try a medium if I were you, at your height. I measure 45" in the chest and that's the only place a medium was tight for me. And my large seems just a little roomy. The Legends are different. I have a U.S. version and I need an XL, to go along with what's already been said.

The bazaar is a great place to find what you want. Terrible for the finances, though.
I'm new here and can anybody tell me what is the 'bazaar' mentioned in this post?
I'm looking for a used Signature Series or Cowhide.
Thank you.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Cairo Bazaar. In Classifieds.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

adamdouglas wrote:
Illinois James wrote:You might actually be lucky.. I'd try a medium if I were you, at your height. I measure 45" in the chest and that's the only place a medium was tight for me. And my large seems just a little roomy. The Legends are different. I have a U.S. version and I need an XL, to go along with what's already been said.

I'm new here and can anybody tell me what is the 'bazaar' mentioned in this post?
I'm looking for a used Signature Series or Cowhide.
Thank you.
The "Bazaar" is in the "Classifieds" section of this forum, (It's for members to sell stuff they own and you can sometimes pick up a bargain or two). Unfortunately I believe you need a certain number of posts to be able to see it, but I don't know what that number is. If you stick around this site and get chatting with people and posting either replies or new topics then at some point shortly you will probably be able to see the classifieds section and see what people have put up for sale in the Bazaar.

Hope that helps?

Regards
Joe