Wested's HERO jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

The Numenorean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by The Numenorean »

I was lucky enough to get one of the shrunken leather jackets and i'm well pleased with it. I saw the stacks of uselessly sized shrunken leather when i visited the barn. Peter was more than a little annoyed about the whole thing. Hope his supplier comes up with the goods soon so all you guys can nab the leather Hero

:TOH:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Well I finally bowed to the inevitable and slapped down the money for a Hero Jacket in Seal Brown Lambskin. \:D/

My one concern is, when I got the invoice, the measurements they listed were sz 36 arms 23 length 23 (I'm 42, 26 and 26, respectively). I've shot off an email informing them of the mistake, but the paranoid part of me keeps worrying that murphy's law will hold true and they'll overlook my email. Anyone had this happen before?

Also, what is the lead time like for Wested these days? It's been almost a decade since I bought from them. -M
Last edited by Mulceber on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Mulceber wrote:Well I finally bowed to the inevitable and slapped down the money for a Hero Jacket in Seal Brown Lambskin. \:D/

My one concern is, when I got the invoice, the measurements they listed where sz 36 arms 23 length 23 (I'm 42, 26 and 26, respectively). I've shot off an email informing them of the mistake, but the paranoid part of me keeps worrying that murphy's law will hold true and they'll overlook my email. Anyone had this happen before?

Also, what is the lead time like for Wested these days? It's been almost a decade since I bought from them. -M
I would call them as well. Sounds like a glitch in the ordering system that defaulted to the smallest values for those fields.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks FFtT - I actually got an email from Gemma today confirming that she'd changed the detail of the order to match my email. At least, in the incredibly remote chance that they screw it up, I'll have the proof that I gave them the right instructions.

Sheesh, I feel so paranoid for making a big deal out of this. :Plymouth: Must be the $300 cost making me nervous. -M
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Well, I got the email yesterday and it's on its way! \:D/

It's gonna be interesting to see how Wested's changed over the past 8 years. -M
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Does anyone know how thick and heavy is the crispe lamb in comparison to horsehide?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

tomek9210 wrote:Does anyone know how thick and heavy is the crispe lamb in comparison to horsehide?
It's probably thicker, but less dense. Therefore lighter than the horse. It also has a less hard surface.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

So you don't recommend crispe jacket as a summer weather jacket?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I wouldn't wear my merino (similar to crispe) in the summer. Then I tend to not wear even a regular lamb over about 16°C.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Okay, I received my new Hero Jacket two days ago (yes, it fit), and after a couple days of wear, I think I'm in a good place to review this baby. My first impression on opening the bag was "wow, this jacket is light!" My previous Wested was a goat, so up until now I've never experienced Lambskin, but it's almost windbreaker weight. This is not a bad thing, and when I look back at screencaps from Raiders, I can see how the original jacket was much the same. I chose all-cotton lining (as I believe was SA), and found that has made the jacket a bit warmer in the winter weather, and, despite its weight, I can use it as a light winter jacket. The fit is exactly what I wanted, although the cotton sleeves do make getting into the jacket a bit of a challenge sometimes. My only real complaint is that I kind of wish the hand warmer pockets were deeper - as it is, I can barely fit my hands in them. If that's screen-accurate though, then I'm all in favor of it.

Now...the pics. I realize these aren't great photos, but what can you expect when my studio is limited to the bathroom mirror?

And with my Garrison Raider SoC:

Great Jacket, Peter! -M
bargle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by bargle »

No doubt about it, it's a very "Raiders" looking jacket!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:tup:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Thanks guys! I'm already starting to see some of the striations of the movie. Hopefully a little bath will bring out more. -M
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Now that´s A JACKET!!! Looks just amazing,if Wested offers lightweight jackets and "A HERO-fit" :D I mght just grap one.What size are you? Did you order regular size or made your own specs? I mean that IS what I see on the screen,that´s SA to me what you´re wearin´right there!Wear the heck out of it and proudly! :tup: :tup: =P~ :TOH: :TOH:
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I must admit that does look an excellent Raiders jacket, one of the best I've seen.

But what I dont understand is that the jacket a few posts back (albeit in Crispe) is a Hero cut too from Wested and looks very very different indeed. How can they claim that they are both Hero ?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

MARQ wrote:Now that´s A JACKET!!! Looks just amazing,if Wested offers lightweight jackets and "A HERO-fit" :D I mght just grap one.What size are you? Did you order regular size or made your own specs? I mean that IS what I see on the screen,that´s SA to me what you´re wearin´right there!Wear the heck out of it and proudly! :tup: :tup: =P~ :TOH: :TOH:
My jacket was size 42, arm length 26 and back length 26. I got the standard "hero" jacket in seal brown lambskin with an all-cotton lining. I was originally going to get the shrunken brown hero. Heretofore, I had thought that shrunken hide was the most accurate, but Holt's review of the standard and his conviction that seal brown lambskin made for a great jacket convinced me to go standard (it didn't hurt that it's cheaper). I HIGHLY recommend this jacket. :D
CRB wrote:I must admit that does look an excellent Raiders jacket, one of the best I've seen.

But what I dont understand is that the jacket a few posts back (albeit in Crispe) is a Hero cut too from Wested and looks very very different indeed. How can they claim that they are both Hero ?
I think it's the crispe leather. Having the right pattern is only one half of the equation, just like having the right hat block is only one half of the equation in making a great Indy hat. To my eye the crispe leather looks very thick and rigid (just my opinion from pictures, I may well be wrong). That could make all the difference in the appearance of the jacket. -M
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

your jacket looks to be the seal brown lambskin.

you would know if you had the crispe. over the top crocco skin and pretty much on the heavy side.
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Mulceber,the weight, I like my jacket light...any idea how light it really is? Would you say its wearable during summertime?
Plus,is it with facings and that extra leather on the chestpocket? Again GREAT jacket!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Holt wrote:your jacket looks to be the seal brown lambskin.

you would know if you had the crispe. over the top crocco skin and pretty much on the heavy side.
I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't saying I thought my jacket was crispe, I was saying I thought the differing leathers were the reason some Hero jackets looked spot on and others less so.
MARQ wrote:Mulceber,the weight, I like my jacket light...any idea how light it really is? Would you say its wearable during summertime?
Plus,is it with facings and that extra leather on the chestpocket? Again GREAT jacket!
If I had to gauge the weight, I'd say it's a bit heavier than a windbreaker, so not more than a couple kilograms. I think whether it was wearable in summer would depend on what type of summer day it was and where you were. Summer in the alps? Most likely. Summer in Phoenix, AZ? Definitely not. Oh and there are no leather facings or extra leather surrounding the chest pocket. The only leather on the inside of the jacket is the tag, and a bit on the lip of the chest pocket. -M
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Mine is made of Authentic Lamb and I definitely wear it through alot of summer days. South Texas is very hot and humid most of the year and I made this known to Wested when I ordered and my Hero is just a tad heftier than my old Todd's standard. Think of a summer cotton sportscoat in terms of weight.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't use my Hero in summer Tokyo weather....It's insane to wear much more than a shirt in 35+ degree weather and 90-100% humidity...No need to die looking good...

But I would certainly say in a fresher summer country you'd stand a decent chance of not sweating to death in it perhaps? The UK might work, although it can get a little warmer there now I've been told...I'd still say you'd be ok for that kind of summer though...The more humid, the less I'd say wearing any kind of Jacket is wise..You'd sweat buckets..

It's good for winter as well though..Not a bad winter here this year...About 0 degrees more or less and she's held up fine...I'll be wearing here until about June/July time I suspect..Then the rainy season will hit and after that it's microwave heat again...

Ahh..Fun fun... :?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Right on about 'more humidity, less any jacket' but I will say this that I noticed about my Hero (and I don`t know if it is unique to the Hero or just to Indy jackets in general) but the wonky pattern lends to self air conditioning. The off the shoulders, unsewn side-vents, and of sided front and back lengths seem let air always swoosh around inside the jacket. I`m sure it wasn`t on purpose but the Raiders patttern certainly lends itself to it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I agree it's the pattern. If you think about it, the Indy jacket is probably the leakiest jacket we own when it comes to allowing air to pass through.

If you don't believe me, try wearing one on a cold windy day and see how much air movement you get INSIDE the jacket. They're made to be worn layered in cold weather. :shock:

All leather jackets are made to break the force of wind moving around the body, but they were never made to insulate. That said, the Indy jacket REALLY pushes that point in terms of air movement inside, due to the fact it has so many seams for air to enter through.

Regards! Michaelson

p.s. I was going to say leather was the natural material for breaking wind, but knowing THIS crowd, I don't EVEN want to go there...... =; :lol:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

:shock: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
:- ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

:rolling: :rolling:
curse you, Michealson....you just got me on trouble with my wife....she wanted to know what I was laughing so hard at behind my desk since I am suppose to be doing tax stuff!
Thanks, though...good way to start the day!
:lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Gorak wrote:Right on about 'more humidity, less any jacket' but I will say this that I noticed about my Hero (and I don`t know if it is unique to the Hero or just to Indy jackets in general) but the wonky pattern lends to self air conditioning. The off the shoulders, unsewn side-vents, and of sided front and back lengths seem let air always swoosh around inside the jacket. I`m sure it wasn`t on purpose but the Raiders patttern certainly lends itself to it.
Though heat and humidity (and a bit of sweating) go a long way towards breaking in a leather jacket oh so nicely. :TOH:
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

BTW,Mulceber one more thing, can ya post some pics from zipped-up jacket..? Just to see how it "behaves." :-k :-s
Like in the Raven Bar scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Hey Marq, I've been really busy right now with work, but I will take some pics of the jacket zipped and post them when I have a chance to catch my breath. Should be in a day or two. -M
Rusty85
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Rusty85 »

Hello all! This is my first post on here but I've heard good things about this board. I'm a longtime member over on the replica prop forum so I'm hoping this will be a great resource for anything and everything I need to know about Indy's gear. I'm planning on ordering my first jacket from Wested soon and want to go with the Hero in Lambskin. I plan on taking some pics whenever I get it but until then I'll just be checking out everyone else's for now.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Rusty85 wrote:Hello all! This is my first post on here but I've heard good things about this board. I'm a longtime member over on the replica prop forum so I'm hoping this will be a great resource for anything and everything I need to know about Indy's gear. I'm planning on ordering my first jacket from Wested soon and want to go with the Hero in Lambskin. I plan on taking some pics whenever I get it but until then I'll just be checking out everyone else's for now.
Glad you made it! (I'm MFP 2020 at the RPF.) This is indeed the place for anything and everything Indy. :TOH:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

The full effect!
I am SO happy with how this turned out. :D

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33 ... 010482.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Ravenswood on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

You're DEFINITELY lookin' the part, Ravenswood!
Great job!
:D
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Looks great!!...I really like the wavey zipper... :D :D Awesome!!

Glad you got this sorted out dude!. May it serve you well.. :TOH:

Ian
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Thank you so much, guys. I am slightly beside myself \:D/
I am especially happy with the way I was able to mold the collar. It was big enough to start off with, but didn't have the spreading effect, straight out of the bag. So I took a chance and molded it with hot water, steam and hot air (in that order) on a repeated basis, until I got it to do the thing I wanted it to do ;)

I was able to form the notorious "demon roll" for a bit, but once I wore it through a rain-fall, it was all over. Thankfully the collar itself, retained the shape.

I can't wait to see how it wears :whip: :whip:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Here's a link to the album. The first page of it is the new Hero. OH! I forgot to mention (to bring us up to speed ;) ) that it's a seal tanned, authentic brown lamb, size 38 with a long back (25 inches). The sleeves were originally 27 inches, and got them trimmed to the prescription length (stopping at the first thumb knuckle).

http://s775.photobucket.com/albums/yy33 ... 1QQtppZZ20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Ravenswood on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

BTW. Just had a chat with Peter, they've had a delivery of the shrunken lamb in.

So guys who have been waiting for this leather. Jump in!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

I see that the status of this leather has been updated to, "NEW DELIVERY." Too bad though, I am all out of funds. :twisted:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Kt Templar wrote:BTW. Just had a chat with Peter, they've had a delivery of the shrunken lamb in.

So guys who have been waiting for this leather. Jump in!
Aww, man! I just got a goatskin! ](*,)
Just my luck!
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Last I heard they were waiting on a shipment of soft goat too. Has that come in too?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

MARQ wrote:BTW,Mulceber one more thing, can ya post some pics from zipped-up jacket..? Just to see how it "behaves." :-k :-s
Like in the Raven Bar scenes in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Sorry it took me so long - I got caught up in other things, got away from it, etc. The point is, I'm back and I've got the photos you wanted.

Oh and here's the new t-shirt I just got in the mail today. Thought you guys might appreciate it. :TOH:

-M
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

Super nice jacket! Looks great on you! Where did you get the T-Shirt?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks like Wested's got this pattern nailed down! Love the pocket flaps.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

And an order is coming my way, not letting this one slip away like last time !
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Dunross76 wrote:Super nice jacket! Looks great on you! Where did you get the T-Shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com/people/studown ... tic-empire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

After many hours of thinking, I ordered a Hero in SB Goat on friday. Hope my measurements are correct. *fingerscrossed*
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I look forward to hopefully seeing some shots of it, Quindy...
Wishing you the BEST possible satisfaction for you :) (and I've got my fingers crossed for you, too - out of solidarity) ;)
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

no problem...COW isn´t going anywhere. ;) Jacket looks just great, just as I hoped...nice T-shirt :tup:
Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

Mitch LaRue wrote:I look forward to hopefully seeing some shots of it, Quindy...
Wishing you the BEST possible satisfaction for you :) (and I've got my fingers crossed for you, too - out of solidarity) ;)
Pictures are guaranteed. ;)
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ravenswood- awesome looking gear. So glad it all worked out for you. Really looks great. :tup: :tup:

Mulceber- Yours looks great too. Love your collar. Did you work it in or was it just like that? :clap: :clap:

Just thought I`d take a few pics of my Hero after it has had considerable wear...still looks new though. It is the Authentic Lambskin...no babying just wearing.....I reach for this jacket more than all the others.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 134909.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 134733.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 135031.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 134757.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As wierd as this may sound this one is actually 'fun' to wear. I actually enjoy wearing it even without Indygear. Kinda makes me feel like a T-bird or a greaser in some 50`s musical!