U.S. Wings Legend Imported vs. U.S.A. made?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

U.S. Wings Legend Imported vs. U.S.A. made?

Post by jedichase »

Hey everybody,

I've been wanting to upgrade my jacket from my $3 close enough jacket and I am thinking about getting a u.s. wings legend in steerhide. I want to save some cash and thinking about getting the imported steerhide, but I don't know if the lower price is due to lower quality leather. So my question is, Are there any differences in the quality in between the imported leather and the U.S.A. made leather? Any info is appreciated.

Chase K.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: U.S. Wings Legend Imported vs. U.S.A. made?

Post by Michaelson »

The leather is esssentially the same. It's the quality of workmanship that is usually the question.

Personally I prefer the U. S. made version, as they're all made by Schott.

Don't get me wrong, the imported version is still a fine jacket, but there's definitely a difference if you put them side by side.

The import can have a dropped stitch here and there, and the lining is different between the two. The import lining has a tendency to 'surf' where the U.S. version does not.

I have one of the 30th anniversery Legends in lambskin, and after wearing it for a while, I occasionally find the sleeve linings extending beyond the end of the leather cuffs. I have also found dropped stitches in the seams of the sleeves.

So, the imports are worth the money, and then some....but in comparison, I prefer the U. S. made Schotts.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Michealson couldn't have said it better. I have a US steerhide and the imported goatskin and imported lamb.....the leather on the imports is awesome but the fit and construction of the US is wayyyyy better.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Agreed. The only thing I would add is that the US made jacket is slimmer, the import is more relaxed. I'll have to compare them to verify this, but I believe the import is also a bit shorter in the body than the Schott.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Excellent points. Thanks Weston.

I don't think the import is shorter, though, but I don't have a U.S. made version in hand to compare to my import at this time. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

I just bought one of the imports. The leather is very high quality. The construction is pretty good. I wouldn't say incredible. I do like the durability and texture of the steerhide. The color is nice, but does not have luster. I think that was their exact intent with this particular model. Something that looks distressed. It doesn't look like a phony distressing though.

I do not have a US made model in which to compare. I purchased a large. I am right on the line between a medium and large and the jacket does feel somewhat large on me. But my wife says it isn't. However I also know that most of my other leather jackets worn with regularity are motorcycle jackets fit much closer to the body. My intention with this jacket was for something that I could wear in casual daily situation and that I would also wear with khakis and dress shirt and possibly layer with for colder days. I think the medium would simply be too small.

I think I might try to find someone selling one of the different cut models of the Wings in a medium. Goat probably. I am not big on lamb, though some I have seen on here are very nice.

In the end I would say this is a very nice jacket for the money. I got more jacket for the money than if I had gone numerous other routes. Heck department stores regularly sell jacket of half this quality and thin leather for a lot more. If I was going to spend the money that the US version costs, not on sale, I might go a different route and find another used Aero or vintage jacket. This was, at this time anyway, one of my only options as sizes were sold out in a couple of versions in which I had interest.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The sizing on the Legend series is interesting, as I've always worn Large in any and all Wings offerings for years, and yet in the Legend series was required to upsize to XL for them to fit properly.

They're definitely a snugger fit, that's for sure, though as Weston mentioned, the import is a bit looser in fit than the standard U. S. made Shott version.

Regards! Michaelson
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thanks for all of the info. I think I'm going to go for the import first and save money for a u.s. made. I was mainly worried about the quality of the leather itself. If the liner isn't perfect I can probably add a couple stitches to adjust it. Once again Thanks for all of the help.

Chase K.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good plan, and lining replacement is an inexpensive fix too if you end up not liking it.

Regards! Michaelson
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

I must admit that I like the color in the picture of the import better than I like the color of this jacket. I am quite tempted to put something on this jacket which will darken it somewhat and maybe add some shine to it. I don't know if it will work. I tend to like a darker colored jacket. I tried a bit of Bick4 on it last night and that area was absorbed today and the darker color was gone. Bick 4 though is not known for darkening leather.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

the import leather is 'naked'...not suede, but that top of the skin has been removed, which gives it the 'distressed' look ; it has a 'soft' textured feel to it.
I prefer the leather with the smooth finish better personally.
As far as fit and finish, my import had no issues with stitching, but one sleeve panel was much thicker than the rest of the jacket. It wasn't obvious -you couldn't see it, but it was easily felt.
warbird
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by warbird »

Kokopelli wrote:the import leather is 'naked'...not suede, but that top of the skin has been removed, which gives it the 'distressed' look ; it has a 'soft' textured feel to it.
As far as fit and finish, my import had no issues with stitching, but one sleeve panel was much thicker than the rest of the jacket. It wasn't obvious -you couldn't see it, but it was easily felt.
Did you add anything to yours, treatment wise? Did it work on darkening or slicking it up at all. naked leather usually ages very nicely and ends up with a nice finish.

However, according to US Wings none of the Legend jackets are naked leather. The only naked leather they currently have is the Hero jacket.
Mr. T
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. T »

I had one of the old Legend imports in Antique cowhide and sold it to get one of the 30th anniversary steer hide jackets. The construction on the 30th anniversary import was not nearly as good as my old Antique cowhide. My old antique cowhide didn't have any dropped stitches and, come to think of it, I don't remember any body talking about anything like that when they first came out, either. The leather on the newer ones isn't nearly as nice, either, in my opinion. I'd say save yourself some cash and just get a used import if you can.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

warbird wrote:
Kokopelli wrote:the import leather is 'naked'...not suede, but that top of the skin has been removed, which gives it the 'distressed' look ; it has a 'soft' textured feel to it.
Did you add anything to yours, treatment wise? Did it work on darkening or slicking it up at all. naked leather usually ages very nicely and ends up with a nice finish.

However, according to US Wings none of the Legend jackets are naked leather. The only naked leather they currently have is the Hero jacket.
I Pecard'd it, and it darkened it up and made it feel 'slicker' but as soon as it dried/evaporated/wore it was the same as it was before. I call it 'suede' like, because I could rub the surface in one direction, and make the color 'change' as opposed to the un-rubbed part- it had texture- if I'm describing it correctly you know what I'm talking about.

The funny thing is my first one that I was shipped was one of the infamous 'high pocket' longs. It's leather was the perfect leather in my opinion- it was a beautifully mottled brown, not basketball-pebbly distressed, and smooth. Perfectly smooth, grainy leather. My replacement was the textured, suede like leather.

Personally, I can't stand the fake 'distressed' top-coat shaved leather no matter how hard I try.
Some people love it. I sold that and bought another Wested in Lamb. Ahhhhhhh....smooooooth.....
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I've got on of the imported cowhide jackets - also post high-pocket fiasco, but first run nonetheless. I'm not a huge fan of the distressing, but it does have its advantages. as I wear it and the jacket rubs up against other stuff (doorframes, protruding nails, getting stuck in the car door) not only does the leather hold up to the abuse, but the natural distressing that results from this kind of wear shows up very well.