Opinions on Classic Bullwhips?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Opinions on Classic Bullwhips?

Post by kwad »

Hey guys and dolls,

I have finally come to terms with the fact that I will never receive the whip I ordered from Midlandswhips, so I am back in the market for a good quality Indy whip that won't break the bank.

I've been looking at the cowhide whips available from James Emery at classicbullwhips.com (also a member here), and was wondering if anyone out there had any input or experience with James' whips/customer service.
The whips in his gallery are quite nice looking and within a price range I can afford.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Opinions on Classic Bullwhips?

Post by Strider »

Does Adam Winrich still make whips? I still have the IOAB that I bought from him years and years ago. Still an amazing whip, and ran me $100.
TheSavoryTrim
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Post by TheSavoryTrim »

I'd also be interested to know if Adam still makes whips, Because I DO WANT an IOAB.
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Post by classicbullwhips »

The last I knew is that Adam was not taking orders, he was mainly focusing on the renascence fair scene. As for his IOAB whips they are very nice whips for the price but I don't think that they have been $100 for a few years now (price has gone up a fair bit) I wish I would have also picked one up when they were around that price point. Hope that helps for the Questions about Adam (this was all the last I knew), as for Me I will let other people take that one.

Keep Crackin,
James
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Actually I have a ten footer in cowhide from James and it's an outstanding whip. Cracks like a fire cracker! I've had it nearly a year and use it frequently. It started out light tan, but has darkened to perfect Raiders color ...I absolutely give a thumbs up to James and his skills.
TheSavoryTrim
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Crying at the doorsteps of those armies of salvation

Post by TheSavoryTrim »

Well, poo, I wish I had gotten one for that price as well, I've cracked Strider's before and I like the feel. Of course, back when he was still taking orders for them, I wasn't remotely close to becoming interested in gear or whips or any of the awesome shenanigans we partake in now.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I have one of CBW's nylon whips and I can say his craftsmanship with nylon is top notch.... I'd like to check out one of his leather whips for comparison.
classicbullwhips wrote:The last I knew is that Adam was not taking orders, he was mainly focusing on the renascence fair scene. As for his IOAB whips they are very nice whips for the price but I don't think that they have been $100 for a few years now (price has gone up a fair bit) I wish I would have also picked one up when they were around that price point. Hope that helps for the Questions about Adam (this was all the last I knew), as for Me I will let other people take that one.

Keep Crackin,
James
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Thanks for the input guys.

Anybody else have a whip from James?
I'd like to hear about it (and your overall purchase experience).
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I got one of his whips from his first run on the RPF, nicely made and really neatly plaited.

Now, this may be me, it was a 10 footer and I had trouble cracking it, it seemed a bit light and floaty. Other people seemed to be able to crack it so it really may have been me. I've had more luck with 7-9 footers.

I don't want to #### with faint praise, It is very good value and a nicly made whip.

classicbullwhips
Vendor

Its great to see one of my older whips Kt Templar, it really takes me back and to see now how far I have come in my skill of whipmaking. Current whips I am producing are much more SA (better strand tapering and beveling). But great to see one again.

Keep Crackin,
-James
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I’ve never had any problems with James. He’s been a member here in good standings since 2006 and I’ve known him off the forum for the last couple years. He’s been to my home on a numerous occasions to crack whips, discuss whip making and show me his work.

I own one of his earlier nylon bullwhips; which is a fair for what it is. I’ve examined and cracked a number of whips he's made and seen I’ve seen a great deal of improvement over the last couple years. The last cowhide bullwhip he brought over in May was very nicely done. It had a good balance, cracked well and I liked it. If I were in the market for a good 12-plait cowhide bullwhip, I’d be confident placing an order with him.

Dan
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Thanks to KT and Dan,

Just the type of info I was looking for.

James,

If you have anything to add about your whips, please feel free!
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Most of the info about my whips and their construction can be found at my website http://www.classicbullwhips.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you have a question that is not answered there please feel free to ask me, the contact page on my site has a few ways to get a hold of me (email address and phone number) you could also send me a PM on this site. I would be more than happy to answer any question that you may have.

Keep Crackin,
James
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Hope you don't mind me resuscitating an old thread, but kwad may I ask if you decided to get a whip from Classic Bullwhips? Anyone else have any photos or opinions to share about Classic Bullwhips? Inquiring minds are curious... O:) :- :whip:

:TOH: Best wishes for the new year,
Nebraska Schulte
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:Hope you don't mind me resuscitating an old thread, but kwad may I ask if you decided to get a whip from Classic Bullwhips? Anyone else have any photos or opinions to share about Classic Bullwhips? Inquiring minds are curious... O:) :- :whip:

Nebraska Schulte
I believe he went with Dusty Damrel from Crease n Corral.
Dr. Nebraska S.

riku1914 wrote: I believe he went with Dusty Damrel from Crease n Corral.
Thank you for the "head's up." :TOH:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Hey NS,

Riku is correct, I did end up buying a whip from Dusty.

However, I did get a chance to talk to James and check out his whips at Fort Mac this year.
I was very impressed with the quality of his work (he's also nice guy).

I think you'd be more than happy with one of his whips.
Dr. Nebraska S.

kwad wrote:Hey NS,

Riku is correct, I did end up buying a whip from Dusty.

However, I did get a chance to talk to James and check out his whips at Fort Mac this year.
I was very impressed with the quality of his work (he's also nice guy).

I think you'd be more than happy with one of his whips.
Thank you for your advice, kwad. :TOH: After talking with several whip experts, I've decided to go for it. So for a late Christmas gift, I just placed an order for my very first bullwhip with James at Classic Bullwhips: an 8-ft cowhide Raiders-style bullwhip in saddle tan! :whip: So I'll be wandering the halls of this section a lot more in the future. ;) Glad to join the ranks of you great whip-crackers here. :TOH:

Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Nexus6
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Nexus6 »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:Anyone else have any photos or opinions to share about Classic Bullwhips? Inquiring minds are curious... O:) :- :whip:

Nebraska Schulte
I just purchased an 8-foot, 12-plait, Kip hide Bullwhip from James, & I couldn't be happier with it. Although, I do have to add that I've been so busy with work, I haven't had a chance to go out & crack it yet (but I'm confident everything will work fine :whip:), I'll try to remember to mention how that goes :P :

Yeah.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Very nice! :tup:
Dr. Nebraska S.

Nexus6 wrote:
Nebraska Schulte wrote:Anyone else have any photos or opinions to share about Classic Bullwhips? Inquiring minds are curious... O:) :- :whip:

Nebraska Schulte
I just purchased an 8-foot, 12-plait, Kip hide Bullwhip from James, & I couldn't be happier with it. Although, I do have to add that I've been so busy with work, I haven't had a chance to go out & crack it yet (but I'm confident everything will work fine :whip:), I'll try to remember to mention how that goes :P :

Yeah.
That's a great-looking whip, Nexus6--thanks for posting! :whip: :clap: I myself placed an order with James for a whip of almost the same specs as yours: 8-foot, 12-plait, kip hide Raiders bullwhip--but in saddle tan. Let us know how yours handles!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte