Alden Restoration: The Continuing Journey

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Alden Restoration: The Continuing Journey

Post by Bogie1943 »

At the time I did not take the time to request that they repair the stitching I just assumed they would. I have just now contacted Alden in regards to this. When I hear back from them on this matter I will let you know. I wouldn't mind knowing myself. ;)
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I'll say one thing for Alden they are on top of their email. I received a reply this morning to please include a note with your restoration and they will repair the mocc stitching.
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

Bogie1943 wrote:I'll say one thing for Alden they are on top of their email. I received a reply this morning to please include a note with your restoration and they will repair the mocc stitching.
I had sent a question to Alden as well asking about the stitching to which they replied just this morning: they will make any necessary repairs. The price they quoted was $159 per pair.

That's good news!

Thanks for responding, Bogie. :TOH:

Regards,
- two
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I'm glad our investigation has payed off. I can't stress enough how valuable Alden Restoration is. I use a local cobbler for heel replacement that does just a wonderful job. However, I choose to leave the sole replacement to Alden only because I love the soles they use so much. My 405's are due for some repairs. The tongues are coming loose and there are a few other stitching repairs to address. Otherwise they are still kicking and hands down the best shoes I have ever owned!
andytothemax
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by andytothemax »

About seven years ago (2005), I had 405's and eventually (2008) the heel area got so ripped up that I sent it in for restoration. I have a really long stride and the leather above the rubber in the heel was getting dented and discolored. I got a call a week or two after I sent them in saying, "when we took off the sole, the whole shoe sort of crumbled...would you like a new pair?"

Um, yes! They sent me a new pair. Unfortunately, the new pair had a stitching defect that made it obvious I had gotten a "factory second." Also, they seemed not to fit right. I wore them for a year or so until tossing them in 2009. I figured since they were a free pair, it was no big loss.

Meanwhile, I bought a pair of Shell Cordovan #1339's -- Chukka boots (http://aldenshop.com/Store/DrawProducts ... D=&Action=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and wore them every day from 2007 to 2011, to the point where the first of the double leather soles wore all the way through and was left with a large hole.

Fast forward to 2012. I just bought a pair of 403's and love them to death. What a perfect color match for ROTLA, and I prefer the leather lining over the cotton duck. At the same time, I sent in my 1339's for restoration, with my fingers crossed that they come back. Even if they don't, they were worth it. I'll post again here with my experience on this new restoration. If they don't come back, I'm getting these: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cf ... ot_160.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wwtwo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by wwtwo »

Bogie1943 wrote:I'm glad our investigation has payed off. I can't stress enough how valuable Alden Restoration is. I use a local cobbler for heel replacement that does just a wonderful job. However, I choose to leave the sole replacement to Alden only because I love the soles they use so much. My 405's are due for some repairs. The tongues are coming loose and there are a few other stitching repairs to address. Otherwise they are still kicking and hands down the best shoes I have ever owned!

Hi Bogie,
I wanted to give you an update as I shipped my 405s last week to Alden for their restoration. I've been in email contact with them and explained I'd like them to address the moccasin toe stitching. They said they would take care of it! Hopefully the DON'T tell me they're beyond repair and need to be taken out back and put down... [-o<

I'll keep you posted on their progress.

Regards,
- Two
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I look forward to seeing how both of your restorations turn out! It was nice of them to offer you a new pair even if they were factory seconds. If my old 405's were ever beyond repair I would gladly take a pair of factory seconds. Even with some flaws it's better than being without.

On a side note, my newer 403's are wearing very well. I have to agree with you andytothemax, I love the rich color as well.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Alden Restoration: The Continuing Journey

Post by Bogie1943 »

15 years later. Purchased 2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Such a great story about your Aldens. I have had my 405s for about 8 years and they look nothing like yours. But I didn't wear mine everyday. I used to save them for special occasions. Not anymore! =P~
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

:TOH: Now both my 405's and 403's need restoration work!