Henry Senior's Pen and Fountain Pens 101 - Tutorial

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Henry Senior's Pen and Fountain Pens 101 - Tutorial

Post by binkmeisterRick »

WARNING! This is a LONG tutorial!

As we are all probably aware, the fountain pen was an essential tool during the time of Indiana Jones. In fact, Henry Jones, Sr. got out of a pickle in Last Crusade by squirting the German Tanker with ink from his fountain pen! Based off careful observation of the scene, and matched with the Lucas Archive photo below, the pen most likely used, and shown as the front pen of the two, is a Conway Stewart 58. The 58 model was actually produced post war, in the 1950s, which goes to show that the filmmakers were not 100% concerned with making sure all props were authentic to the era.

The other pen appears to be a Mabie Todd Swan Leverless, possibly a pre-war model.

There have been a few members as of late who have expressed the desire for me to dedicate a thread to the care and feeding of fountain pens. Whereas Michaeslon could go on endlessly when it comes to watches, I am much the same when it comes to pens. It doesn’t help that I work in a vintage fountain pen shop most weekends apart from my “real” job. What I hope to achieve here is to give folks a very basic understanding and appreciation of the vintage pen. Since more folks seem to be adding fountain pens as part of their Henry, Sr. gear or period “Indy kit,” this primer should help initiate new fountain pen owners (or those wanting a pen) as to their use and maintenance.

While the idea of a pen with a built-in ink reservoir is nothing new (with record of one dating back to the 10th century!), early fountain pens were unreliable and often messy. It wasn’t until the late 19th century that improvements in design began to make the fountain pen a more viable and popular writing instrument. These early pens were usually filled by means of unscrewing a portion of the pen barrel and inserting ink via an eyedropper. The body of the pen, then, also acted as the ink reservoir. However, these pens were messy to fill and prone to leaking inside the cap or at the joint where the barrel unscrewed for filling.

By the turn of the century, newer “self-filling” pens became more prominent. Companies began to experiment with designs that allowed the user to fill the pen more easily. Likewise, previous issues with pen leaks and proper ink flow were being solved and improved upon, making pens more durable and practical than ever.

The fountain pen was not a “disposable” item during the day. Like a watch, a good writing instrument was meant to last a considerable time, if not a lifetime. Paying 7 dollars for a high end Parker Duofold in the mid-1920s was a LOT of money for a pen. Even though other companies, like Esterbrook, would come to provide economical “dollar pens” to the masses, a fountain pen was not meant to be blindly discarded. Though the ballpoint pen can be traced back to the 1940s, they were expensive, leaky, and unreliable. It wasn’t until the 1960s that the modern ballpoint became more refined and began to surpass fountain pens in use and popularity.

Fountain pens are still made to this day. Though considered by some as more of a modern status symbol, is not uncommon to find them in use in schools throughout Europe and the UK, and there are serious collectors of new and vintage pens worldwide. If you are interested in in-depth history of fountain pens, there are many books and online resources at your disposal.

So, you’ve read this far and you’re still interested in pens. From this point, we’ll assume that you either have, or are looking at purchasing, a fountain pen. I’ll go into the basics of what you might expect or come to find.

NOTE: First of all, say you find an old “fancy” pen sitting around. It’s got a cap on it. You pick it up. What is your first instinct? To open it! But WAIT! You might be used to tugging on the cap to remove it. With most fountain opens, you UNSCREW the cap. If you are unsure, always try unscrewing the cap first. If it’s not a screw cap, then you can try a light tug to pull off the cap. We had one customer buy a MINT 1930s Parker Vacumatic, only to come back half an hour later because she tried to force the twist cap off by pulling on it. It didn’t budge, so she pulled so hard that it snapped the pen clean in half. Needless to say she tanked the value of a previously mint pen that she had just purchased for several hundred dollars.

TYPES OF FILLING MECHANISMS

Though there are many different types of filling mechanisms out there, I will touch on those you are most likely to encounter.

CARTRIDGE FILLERS

The average fountain pen you will encounter in a typical office supply store will likely be a cartridge filler, like the cheap Cross pen below. These are meant to use a specific type of ink cartridge and cannot use bottled ink unless they include a specially designed converter. For the sake of this thread, I will be concentrating on vintage pens with internal filling mechanisms designed for bottled ink.

CRESCENT FILLER

The Conklin Crescent Filler (introduced about 1901) was a favorite of Mark Twain. He referred to it as a “profanity saver” in that the “coin” on the side would prevent the pen from rolling off the desk and onto the floor. The crescent is attached to an internal pressure bar which rests against a rubber ink bladder (or sac). When the crescent is depressed, it squeezes and collapses the ink sac (like you would an eyedropper). When released, the sac reopens, and the vacuum suçks the ink into the pen. The C-shaped ring that runs beneath the crescent prevents it from being depressed accidentally. Turning the ring to the “open” position allows the pen to be filled.

To fill, place the nib in the ink bottle and squeeze the “coin.” I squeeze quickly (like an eyedropper) wait a second and squeeze a second time. I count a few seconds before lifting the nib out of the bottle. This allows time for the capillary action to fill the ink sac.

LEVER FILLER

Patented by Sheaffer and introduced in 1912, the lever filler was so popular that it was adopted by many other pen makers. It is commonly found in vintage pens (like the Waterman 52 shown above) and is simple to operate. When opened, the hinged lever presses down on the pressure bar, and hence the ink sac inside, creating the necessary vacuum to take ink up into the pen. To fill, dip the nib in the ink bottle, pull the lever back NO MORE than 45 degrees, and release. Count at least to five to allow the pen to drink before removing from the bottle. I often pull the lever back several times in a row to maximize ink intake.

Here is an old instruction sheet included with Esterbrook level fill pens:

Henry Sr.’s Conway Stewart was a lever fill pen, and yes, they can squirt like that!

BUTTON FILLER

Parker introduced the button filler shortly thereafter. When a blind cap is removed from the back of the pen, a button is exposed. When pressed, it activates the pressure bar inside the pen which squeezes the ink sac. Pushing the button down once and immediately releasing it while in the ink bottle is all it takes. Count a few seconds before removing and you’re good to go. The pen shown here is a 1920s Parker Duofold Jr.

Button detail and old Parker instruction sheet:

PARKER VACUMATIC

The Parker Vacumatic hit the market in 1933 and was popular throughout the ‘40s. Instead of an ink sac, the Vacumatic contained a diaphragm that would expand inside the barrel of the pen, creating the vacuum which suçked in the ink. This meant the barrel of the pen itself would act as the ink reservoir, allowing a greater ink capacity that standard ink sac pens. Filled by removing the blind cap, early Vacumatics had a metal twist locking plunger (as seen in the marbled 1937 example above front), while later pens (like the 40s example behind) had a metal or plastic plunger which did not lock. To fill, depress the plunger several times. NOTE: Avoid twisting the plunger, as this can inadvertently damage the diaphragm inside the pen.

Detail of the earlier locking mechanism and instruction sheet:

SHEAFFER VACUUM-FIL, TOUCHDOWN AND SNORKEL

Pneumatic fillers, these required unscrewing the knob at the end of the barrel, drawing out the plunger to its full length, dipping the nib in the ink, and then swiftly pushing down the plunger. Wait about 10 seconds for the reservoir to fill before removing from the ink bottle. The difference with the Snorkel is that the retractable tube is meant to fill the pen without having to submerge the nib. The tube retracts when unscrewing the knob at the back of the pen. The top pen is a Sheaffer Snorkel, the bottom a Sheafer “Tuckaway” Vac-Fil.

Instruction sheets for both Touch Down and Snorkel:

PISTON FILLER

The piston filler is an easy and popular system, found on both vintage and modern pens, and most notably on Pelikan pens, like the 1930s Pelikan 100 shown here. By turning the knob at the end of the pen, a piston is drawn down inside the barrel. Dip the nib in the ink, screw the piston back up, and ink is drawn into the pen. Simple and very effective. Piston fillers also use the barrel of the pen as the reservoir, so these pens hold a good amount of ink.

You can see the piston in the halfway position in this detail:

Pelikan instruction sheet:

PARKER 51 AEROMETRIC FILLER

The Parker 51 is one of the most famous fountain pens ever. Introduced in the ‘40s, its style and filling mechanism were so revolutionary that it spurred many companies to copy their look and basic mechanics. Even Parker released cheaper versions, like their 21 model shown above. The 51 featured a hooded nib (as opposed to an exposed nib) and though early 51’s were vacumatic fillers, Parker’s introduction of the aerometric filler in 1948 made filling the pen a breeze. Unscrew the section of the pen and a “squeeze bar” is exposed. This is just like an eyedropper. Dunk the nib in ink, squeeze the filler bar several times, wait several seconds, and you’re filled!

NOTE: While the pens shown to this point have had screw on caps, the Parker 51 has a pressure fit cap. You can pull this one!

Again, you may encounter other types of filling mechanisms, but the above are the most common you will find.

LETTING OUT INK AFTER FILLING

Some fountain pen users (myself included) will let out two or three drops of ink back into the bottle when filling a pen. The reason for this is that it allows for a bit of air back into the ink sac or reservoir, which helps the ink to flow out of the pen a bit easier. Think of it like the water cooler in the office. When you see the bubbles of air rise to the top, it is allowing the water to leave the spigot and into your cup. It’s the same principle, basically. Letting out a drop or two after filling helps start that natural process. It may also help prevent some pens from blobbing ink on your page, though this may be a sign (in some pens) that you are near the end of your ink supply. Of course, if your pen has more serious problems or happens to be cracked or plain leaky, well, of course it’ll leak ink! At this point, you should take your pen to a professional repairperson for assessment. Your mileage may vary, as there are always exceptions to the rule and differences in opinion among pen users.

WRITING WITH YOUR PEN

Keep in mind a fountain pen is NOT a chisel. Whereas some people practically carve into the paper with a ballpoint, a fountain pen is meant to glide on the paper, not pierce it. Adjusting to a fountain pen may take time for some users. Additionally, there are various types of nibs to be found, from very fine to extra broad, from stiff as a nail, to springy and flexible. The flexible nibs provide a varying width of line, allowing you to write “thick and thin” like Thomas Jefferson. And yes, even lefties can use fountain pens, as I can personally attest.

Everyone has a different writing style, so not all nibs will work for all people. Some cannot use a flexible nib. Others write too small for a broad nib. Some write harder, some softer. Regardless, there is a nib type that suits most everybody. You may find that nibs may also need adjustment. This is apparent if the nib writes very scratchy or unevenly. This is best left to a professional pen repairperson, as you may destroy a nib if you don’t know what you’re doing.

A few pens, especially Esterbrooks, have nibs designed to be easily interchanged by the user. (See Esterbrook sheet above.) In this case, they unscrew and can be replaced with a wide array of appropriate nibs.

POSTING PENS

Posting a cap is when you take the cap of a pen and place it on the back of the pen.

Cap not posted:

Cap posted on back of pen:

Many people do this. In regards to vintage pens, there are two distinct camps of thought. One camp simply states, “DON’T POST THE CAP OF YOUR PEN,” while the other says, “Go ahead and post the cap of your pen.” Any which way, there are some important things to consider. Vintage pens, particularly made of hard rubber, celluloid, and plastic, may be fragile. If you post the cap on your pen, be careful not to shove it down forcefully. Doing so may crack, chip, or break your cap if not careful. A cracked or broken cap will affect the value of your vintage pen, sometimes greatly. As long as you post your cap gently, you should be fine. Again, don’t be forceful. With most of my pens, I have a tendency to hold the cap of my pen in my opposite hand as I write instead of posting it. It’s a personal preference, but again, be mindful.

CLEANING YOUR PEN

Cleaning your pen is as easy as filling it. The instruction sheets above also show how to clean your pen.

NOTE: DO NOT USE HOT WATER TO CLEAN YOUR PEN! Especially with some vintage pens, this is a sure fire way to destroy it. Not that you should panic if you get a little water on a pen, but some early materials do not take well to hot water. Always use cold or cool water to clean a pen.

To clean, empty your pen of ink. You can do this by using the same technique to fill your pen, just without submerging the nib. At this point, you can stick your nib in a cup of cold water and fill and empty the pen with water until you eventually spit out clear or mostly clear water from it. (You may need to empty and refill your water cup a few times.) If your pen has sat unused for a while and you think you may have a little dried ink inside the pen, you can add a single drop of 409 or similar dish detergent into your water mix. This will help loosen up old ink.

If you do not plan to use your pen for a while (weeks, months, years) you should always empty and clean it before storing it.

WHAT TO FEED YOUR PEN

Use ONLY dedicated fountain pen ink! Anything other may kill your pen! India ink will seize up your pen indefinitely. If it does not say “fountain pen ink” on the bottle or you are not 100% sure it’s fountain pen ink, put the bottle back. Additionally, some folks like to use old ink. The concern regarding old ink is that it may have formed sediment in the mix which could clog your pen. Some folks say not to use bottled ink more than 1 or 2 years old, but opinions vary.

Using bottled ink also means you have a wide array of colors available to choose from. You can even get invisible ink for fountain pens! Inks are generally not designed to be mixed, especially across different brands. Doing so may have adverse affects on your pen. Always empty and clean your pen before swapping colors.

CARRYING YOUR PEN

It is advisable to always carry your pen in the upright position. This will help any accidental leaking of ink into the cap. Additionally, they make pen cases for a single, few or many pens. I actually use an old leather cigar case to hold the two or three pens in current rotation. This case fits nicely in my MkVII bag, with the pens remaining upright and protected from getting knocked about or titled at every angle in transit. If a filled pen is sitting on your desk, you may wish to lean it on something to keep the nib upright, but there are different opinions on this, also. Your shirt or vest pocket is also perfect for pens.

CONGRATULATIONS!

If you’ve survived this epic post, I hope this answers some common questions regarding fountain pens. There is a LOT to know and learn. (I’m always learning.) There are also things to be aware of when buying vintage pens. Your best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer who refurbishes the pens before selling them. Feel free to ask questions, as I’m always happy to talk pens. If I don’t know it, I can find out!

Happy writing!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Henry Senior's Pen and Fountain Pens 101 - Tutorial

Post by Michaelson »

What I have found fascinating is the ink I use in my Parker Duofold Jr. is difficult to get off my fingers with plain soap and water without a great deal of effort, and yet if water hits the ink on paper or cloth, it spreads like wildfire. :)

That's not fair. It should be the other way round. :(

:lol: ;)

GREAT write up, and answers a lot of questions I've had over the years regarding the differences between the mechanisms.

HIGH regards !Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I hear you! :lol: There are some permanent fountain pen inks out there that won't spread when hit with water. Also, there is a product called "Ink Nix" which is a gritty liquid soap that does a fantastic job of getting ink off your fingers. But inky fingers is a rite of passage! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

There's another fine old product that does the same thing....it's called Lava soap. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yep! It's about the same, though one is in bar format, the other, paste.
DBLIII
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by DBLIII »

Thanks for that great article. Now I know how to fill some of the old fountain pens I have floating around. And I too thought ink on my fingers is just part of the deal!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not if you fill 'em right and keep the tips clean. ;)

The only time I have that problem is when refilling the pen.

I carried and used fountain pens all through high school and never had that problem.

Lucky I guess. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Awesome write up!!!!! And after all of it, the thing that sticks in my mind the most...INVISIBLE INK!!! That is awesome. That totally geeks me out 8) . Seriously though, GREAT job Bink! :clap:

Now the bar is set, lets see a pocket watch write up from :M: ... :Plymouth: (I probably should have written that in invisible ink...)

Travis
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Do a search. You'll ALREADY find a LOT of my past watch 'ramblings' back in the store room.
:lol:
Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No doubt! Mine is finally contained in one place, now. :lol:

Travis, I was going to write you an invisible note, but I can't find my invisible pen. :anxious:
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

The Pen is mightier than this post! Or vice-versa...

Nice post my friend, very informative. I'm generally a Biro man myself, having developed a dislike for fountain pens in Latin class at age 11, but I can appreciate their beauty and charm now.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Thanx Bink! :TOH: That's the kind of info I (at least) can really use! I love the way a fountain pen writes, and I love the way it feels in the hand. Now that I have some good info, instead of my own trial and error, I can take better care of my pens and maybe even rejuvenate a couple of oldies I have in the back of my desk. I just wish that most of the handwriting I do wasn't on pressure-sensitive forms with two or three copies - I hate putting that much pressure on a good nib. I've never yet found a ballpoint that "fits" my hand like a good fountain pen, though I will admit that some "gel" pens have a nice feel when writing

LJ.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Wow, THANKS. :TOH: I write almost exclusively with mechanical pencils, but otherwise use gel pens myself, never cared for ballpoints.

Of course, since joining here I've been exposed to so many vintage enthusiasts my interest has increased across many lines. I think a fountain pen will be in my near future and having this information will be much more helpful in making decisions.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Long John Tinfoil wrote: I just wish that most of the handwriting I do wasn't on pressure-sensitive forms with two or three copies - I hate putting that much pressure on a good nib.
I'm glad this helped, LJ! Thanks for reminding me to work on this! ;)

Guess what? They used carbon paper back in the days of fountain pens, too! If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a vintage pen with a "manifold nib." These nibs were designed for such work. Also, if you find a very rigid nib and one with a good ball of iridium on it, these should work fine, too. The old Parker Duofolds usually have stiff nibs and vintage Sheaffers are known for their stiff nibs to the point of folks referring to them as the "Sheaffer nail." I'd look for a medium to broad nib. Likewise, if you have an Esterbrook, look for one of these replacement nibs designed for carbons: 2460 Rigid medium Manifold; 2464 Rigid broad Manifold; 5461 Rigid medium Manifold; 9460 Rigid medium Manifold; 9650 Medium Manifold. :TOH:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

What about a "51"? :-k

LJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

According to one or two fellows on the Fountain Pen Network, a Parker 51 should work fine (even on NCR forms) though there is mention that you should be aware of what your pen is willing to take in terms of pressure. Parker 51's tend to have rigid nibs, anyhow, so you should be okay. My recommendations are that you should use a medium to broad, or a dedicated manifold nib, if possible. I would also experiment to see how much pressure you really do need for carbon copies. It may take less pressure than you think.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I was just thinking about that. My Parker "51" has a nib that is NOT at all sharp or abrasive and I imagine it would be perfect for writing on carbon paper even fine tissue paper. The nib seems somewhat rounded. I don't have a huge collection of fountain pens, but from my experience writing with this "51" I would say it would work well for you. That said, I'm sure many people customize their "51"s with different nibs, so I don't know what you'll find when you buy one from someone else.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, there's not a whole lot of customizing that can be done when it comes to 51 nibs. A professional might be able to smooth out the nib if it's scratchy or improve its flow if needed, but that's about it. With a 51, you have a limited selection of nib options. With rare exception, you pretty much get a rigid nib in fine, medium or broad. No flexible nibs, anyhow.
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

I've been building a fountain pen collection over the past year. Currently I'm working on a representative collection of late 30's Sheaffer Balances.

I'd like to point out that the Conway Stewart 36 makes a good stand in for the 58. It's a lower priced pen. The main cosmetic difference is the cap jewel is metal on the 36 rather than black like the 58. Not sure about any size differences.
this is mine:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The Balances are great pens! They also come in some beautiful plastics. The Conway Stewart 36 is a good stand in! ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Looks awesome!

Kyle
darthinvictus
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthinvictus »

As an inheritor of several old fountain pens I am curious, Is it possible to replace the rubber bladders that have hardened and cracked?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Why, yes, it is! In fact, the shop where I work specializes in restoration of vintage and antique pens. The marbled green Vacumatic shown above was my grandfather's pen. I had it restored and it's like a new pen!

The old rubber bladders will dry out and crack over time. Many pen restorers now use a silicone ink sac, which will last much longer and be healthier for the pen. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to give you some feedback and suggestions. (Show me pics of the pens, too!) ;)
darthinvictus
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthinvictus »

Sadly I cannot post pics at the moment, one of them is a Pioneer, one is a Jefferson and the other is a Sheaffer's. All are the lever pump style. I have been informed that there are more but are being tracked down. None look particularly fancy but than I am not all that fancy so we are a good match.

P.S. Incidentally I can read, but at times choose not to understand, so be kind and pretend that this is p.m that I have sent you
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

This is an EXCELLENT read. :3 It reminds me of some fond memories I have discussing watches and hats with Michaelson. :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

darthinvictus, If the Pioneer is a Wearever (it would say on the clip) it's generally a "budget pen," but I've seen some that make great writers. Does the Jefferson a "Kendrick & Jefferson" have a "Made in England" stamp on it? The Sheaffer should be the nicest pen of the three, as Sheaffer was one of the major pen companies. In fact, Sheaffer invented and patented the level filler mechanism, so other pen makers who used it for their pens had to pay a royalty to Sheaffer.

Anubis, you'll get me rattling on about pens as easily as you'll get Michaelson going on about watches! :lol: Have him show you his Parker Duofold next time you see him. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, I like to carry my 1930 Parker Duofold Jr. A GREAT writing pen.

Regards! Michaelson
HabuSake
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HabuSake »

Awesome writeup, Bink. Really enjoyed it.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thank you! :TOH:
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

fascinating post! thanks!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Upon further research, the other pen shown in the Lucas archive photo at top is likely a Mabie Todd Swan Leverless. It could very well be a pre-war model. This had a unique filling mechanism called a "twist filler" which involved twisting a dial at the back of the pen, which, in turn, twisted the ink sac. Not the most efficent filling system, and it put a lot of wear and tear on the ink sac, but it worked. Additionally, this type of filling mechanism doesn't have the squirting power Henry Sr. would've needed to blind the tank soldier.
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

I have a fairly nice Parker Fountain pen, some kind of a commemorative from the USA/Russia nuclear missile disarmament treaty of many years ago. I had installed a brand new Parker ink cartridge and then, although I carry it daily, the pen didn't get much use for about a month or two. When I went to use it the pen was empty, ink completely gone from the cartridge! Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if perhaps the ink was slowly wicked upward into the nib and evaporated, although the pen was capped the whole time.
Beautiful pen, very strange behavior.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My guess is the ink dried up rather than evaporated. I would use the cleaning your pen tips listed in Bink's original post and then refill it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think it's a combination of both, Jeff. Evaporation and the ink drying, as air moves through the cap all the time. That's why there's a small air hole there (at least it is on my Parker) is to allow the ink to flow to the nib.

Either way, agreed with Jeff. Just give it the suggested cleaning with the drop of 409 in the water, then refill. Works wonders on these pens.

Regards! Michaelson
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

I have noticed that the ink flow to the pen is not as smooth as it was before the incident so I believe you are both right in that I need to give it a thorough cleaning. From now on I will make sure to use the pen periodically or to empty and clean it for any prolonged periods of inactivity.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

If a good cleaning doesn't do the trick, it might need a professional cleaning from a qualified pensmith. Can you PM me a picture of your pen? You might also check inside the pen barrel to see if the ink didn't leak inside the pen.

By chance, is it identical to the pen shown here: http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/ ... Treaty.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so, it's a Parker 75 and you should be able to put the whole nib section in a cup of cold water with a drop or two of 409 in it and let it sit overnight.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The '409' tip works wonders. I've done it with my 1930 Parker Duofold Jr., and the results were amazing!

Regards! Michaelson
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

binkmeisterRick wrote:If a good cleaning doesn't do the trick, it might need a professional cleaning from a qualified pensmith. Can you PM me a picture of your pen? You might also check inside the pen barrel to see if the ink didn't leak inside the pen.

By chance, is it identical to the pen shown here: http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/ ... Treaty.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If so, it's a Parker 75 and you should be able to put the whole nib section in a cup of cold water with a drop or two of 409 in it and let it sit overnight.
It looks like my bad memory has led everyone astray. I don't have the 1987 Missile Treaty pen, I have the Parker Duofold World Memorial Fund for Disaster Relief pen which has an emblem made from the metal of scrapped American Pershing and Soviet SS20 missiles on the cap, circa 1991.
This picture is not of my specific pen but it is the same excepting the serial number:

Here is a link to a newspaper article: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 74,2827356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not sure how the Parker Duofold compares to the Parker 75 but a good cleaning should help nonetheless.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It will clean up fine. Like I said above, it worked wonders on MY Duofold.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

With the modern Duofold, you should be able to drop the whole nib section into a cup of cold water with a drop or two of 409 as I indicated above. That should do the trick.