New one on the way! (Whip project, that is.) Updated 12/11!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

New one on the way! (Whip project, that is.) Updated 12/11!

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Well, I'm just back from the QM summit this week, with a new whip already in the works!

I've been itching to put together another, since the last one I built was in advance of Indy 4 (!)...I've had lots of time to ponder the various whips I have and get feedback, but I got some unbelievably insightful feedback and tips at the QM from the likes of James Emery from ClassicBullwhips, T.Rex, and let's not forget Anthony De Longis...! I got such a positive response with where I was headed and so many new things to try, I simply couldn't wait....So at my first opportunity, I popped down to Lowes to pick up some new handle foundation material!

Just got done ordering a new color of Paracord from my usual supplier, and was surprised to see a 'satisfied customer' letter from none other than our own Lauren Wickline on their site! That's just awesome... I just wish I'd gotten a better chance to talk to her at the summit! Luckily, I was able to at least chat a little with Paul, though..... Hopefully with this project, i'll have some better stuff to show off this time next year! And once again, if you're one of the aforementioned 'guilty parties'...THANK YOU for the great feedback and unbelievably helpful advice! Hopefully this will take me to the next level, both with my whip craft and whip technique. :notworthy:

I've tweaked my 'formula' a bit for this new one, and i'll be posting my progress with pictures as it develops. It's exciting to be braiding again! \:D/

SO: The project is a 9' Nylon whip, black with burgundy tiger-stripes... Two bellies, and a 16-plait overlay. Handle is 10" of billet aluminum, accentuated by a brushed stainless cabinet knob. Core is 3/32" aircraft cable and filled paracord. The fall will be a hybrid twisted-filled paracord, with a red Spectra (PowerPro) cracker. Also, i'll most probably be waxing this one, for the first time. Questions and comments are welcomed, naturally....
Last edited by PyramidBlaster on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
riku1914
Vendor

Re: New one on the way! (Whip project, that is.)

Post by riku1914 »

I'll enjoy this thread :tup: :tup: :tup:
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

OK, well...It's taken a little longer than I expected due to a little unforseen family issue (but aren't they all?)... But here's where I am as of this morning.

The first photo shows the billet aluminum handle with brushed stainless cabinet knob attached, as well as plastic-coated steel cable pinned-and-epoxied in:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The second photo shows the finalized core, with filled paracord spliced on and the first 'bolster' of expandable sleeving over top:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During the process i'm always tweaking my formula, and trying the whip out to check balance...I'm really liking this one so far.

Next, I'll be cutting, binding, and braiding the laces for the first belly. Hoping to have that done today!
Last edited by PyramidBlaster on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Interesting core design.

Will the cabinet knob be exposed, or do you just use it as a knot foundation/weight?
Can't wait to see the finished design.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Will the cabinet knob be exposed, or do you just use it as a knot foundation/weight?
I've done whips both ways, but I think ultimately it'll be essentially a foundation/weight. It's probably just too small to use otherwise.

The next step shows the 1st belly laces bound and ready to braid up...
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the finished Belly:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And finally, yet another bolster with transition binding.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the first time i've braided a thing in 3 1/2 years, and it was so nice to get back to it! The pain in the fingers is just to let you know the end result is gonna be something special....
Last edited by PyramidBlaster on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

My fingers have finally stopped hurting when I braid. I say this because I did an entire 8 foot 12 plait overlay without a break in one

day and they didn't hurt during or after, so I figure I can assume they won't hurt anymore :)

I look forward to seeing more, looking good so far :TOH:
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Wow Dave!,
! You really got motivated! Thats Great!- I can't wait to try the new one out- Although if you were ever willing to part with your fist prototype I would be the first in line!
- Anyway keep up the good work!

-T.Rex
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Unless you got permission from a mod, don't forget the 6 picture max rule. After you have 6 up you need to put them in url form.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

T.Rex, I've got a 'new' style 7' in the works, You'll be the first to know....

Alas, unless something changes drastically... The days of me having an uninterrupted block of time like that are long gone. I have to be content with being able to finish a whip over the course of a week or two, if i'm lucky... HOWEVER, since i'm streamlining and standardizing the process...It's a lot easier to get from start to finish, and work in smaller blocks of time. I've already made the core/handle foundations of the first three whips in this new run.

Yeah, i've had the 6-pic rule in mind, I'm planning on 'rolling' the pictures---I.E., earlier pics will be reverted to links, and newer/'current' posts will be Images...Since this is an 'in-progress' type project....
classicbullwhips
Vendor

Post by classicbullwhips »

Hey PyramidBlaster,

It was a pleasure talking with you during the summit, I hope I was able to give you some good tips, I look forward to seeing your latest whip. Keep us all posted and if you have any more questions you know how to contact me.

Keep Crackin,
James
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Thanks! I totally have you to thank for me finally pulling the proverbial trigger on dual as opposed to a single belly, as well as being an inspiration for a new fall design i'm trying out...Which is working much better!

Also, an update... One of the spring clips on my braiding stand broke after I finished the first belly, and I couldn't get a replacement until yesterday...So it's pushed me back a few days. Still, the second belly should be done by this weekend, and maybe, just maybe...The whole thing! I'm totally jazzed to crack this thing...My first totally new design since 2006!
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Well, I guess there's a first for everything.

I was 80% done braiding the second belly, when it became apparent that I really, really needed an extra pair of laces. I should have seen it from the beginning, but it got worse the farther I got. Since this is a new design, I hadn't figured the core of the whip being as big as it is where I got into trouble---My earlier whips didn't taper that way.

So, I did what any good whipmaker would---I started over on the belly. #-o :shock:

There's something both disheartening and uplifting about unbraiding a couple of solid hours of work. But in the end, my technique (and the whip) will be so much better off. Added the extra pair, and tweaked the lengths of a couple more pairs.

Lesson learned. Pictures of the finished 2nd belly tomorrow.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:Well, I guess there's a first for everything.

I was 80% done braiding the second belly, when it became apparent that I really, really needed an extra pair of laces. I should have seen it from the beginning, but it got worse the farther I got. Since this is a new design, I hadn't figured the core of the whip being as big as it is where I got into trouble---My earlier whips didn't taper that way.

So, I did what any good whipmaker would---I started over on the belly. #-o :shock:

There's something both disheartening and uplifting about unbraiding a couple of solid hours of work. But in the end, my technique (and the whip) will be so much better off. Added the extra pair, and tweaked the lengths of a couple more pairs.

Lesson learned. Pictures of the finished 2nd belly tomorrow.
You've been doing this for a long time, so you probably know this. But on the pictures of the first belly ( or whatever belly it was

that you have pictures on ) it looked like you cut off the leftover strands almost immediately. For a long taper, it's best to

stagger the leftover strands. If this was intentional and your new design fixes this, just let me know. However I've always been

told and am a firm believe on : The inside of the whip should look just as neat as the outside. Straight, uniform, round , etc.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

As for 'leftover strands', do you mean dropped strands? I've started staggering them a bit, but I don't typically leave a lot of length to them. That first belly, they did end a little abruptly....
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:As for 'leftover strands', do you mean dropped strands? I've started staggering them a bit, but I don't typically leave a lot of length to them. That first belly, they did end a little abruptly....
I mean the strands that are leftover after you are done braiding that will turn into filler strands.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Ah, yes. I don't usually leave a LOT of length to them, at least when it's 4-plait... But I do try to stagger the length a bit to smooth out the taper. Since I'm going with 6-plait points on the second belly and overlay, I'll most probably have longer strands... Due to the fact that I have to stagger more laces....But, good point.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

OK, here's a pic of the second belly, which ended up as 12-plait...Which worked out nicely. After some of the comments (thanks, Riku1914!) I ended up staggering the last 4 laces a little better on the first belly, as it did end up being a little abrupt.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73 ... type/6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've paid a little more attention to keeping the seams straight...Even though my previous couple of whips were pretty good, I can always get better! With the exception of the first couple of inches at the pommel end, I'm satisfied with my work in that regard.

Using 2 bellies instead of 1, and lengthening the longer of the two has definitely addressed a couple of issues I'd had smoothing out the transition after the end of the aircraft cable...It seems I'm shifting the weight forward quite a bit with this design, so i'll be interested to see if I like the balance or if i'll have to tweak the formula yet again.

It'll probably be next weekend before the whip is complete, as I have yet to even cut the overlay laces...But all in good time!

Now...I gotta find a turkey fryer set cheap, so I can dip this puppy when it's finished...
Last edited by PyramidBlaster on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Looks better, I'm glad something I said helped you :)
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Almost there! The whip is functionally done, but I still want to add a brushed silver ring and ring-knots at the thong end of the handle... It's still quite stiff, and i'm not able to really wind it up and give it a few energetic cracks to help everything limber up just yet... Maybe later tonight. All in all, heads above my previous work. I learned so much on that overlay braid! Still a couple of things I'd change on the next one, but the formula is coming along....

In the end I ended up kinda liking the uncovered knob, and it matched the diameter of the handle so well...I ended up keeping it bare. Whaddya think, T.Rex?

The red color is definitely darker in natural lighting, being like a blood red/burgundy color...

I'll post pix of the ring once I locate one I like, and put it on!
riku1914
Vendor

Re: New one on the way! (Whip project, that is.) Updated 12/

Post by riku1914 »

Looks really good. I like to be able to hold the knob in my hand, but I have a whip without a heel knot and it still feels fine :)
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Hey, thanks! Turned out a little heavier in the thong than I was aiming for, but it's still balanced pretty well... It's kinda brutish! Feels a little funny compared to the large-ball Indy-style, but I have other whips with smaller pommels, so I'm fairly used to it... The slight taper on this style knob helps a bit with retention... And it's pretty unusual! I took it out too a lonely area of my development and wound it up a bit, it's slowly breaking in and loosening up... This is the tightest whip i've ever made!

Changing my formula has made me start thinking about smaller, lighter whips using two layers instead of three, using some of my old formula... AND, I'm seriously starting to look at Dacron.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

A masterpiece!
I personally think the whip looks awesome knots or no!

(Quite an interesting fall-never seen one like that)
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but for whip #12...It ain't too shabby. There's a couple of gaps that I didn't see until I was done with the overlay, and a couple of things i'd change about the bolsters... But overall I'm happy with it. I've got a couple of 6-footers on tap next.

And the fall? That's something new i'm trying. I've seen twisted falls like the first half, and I used to use a single straight-fall like the second half... But I wanted to try to emulate the taper on a leather fall, so this is what I came up with. Seems to work pretty well, but I have to see how accurate the new whip is compared to my others... I've got a Whip Enthusiast meeting in a week, so we'll see how it goes.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but for whip #12...It ain't too shabby. There's a couple of gaps that I didn't see until I was done with the overlay, and a couple of things i'd change about the bolsters... But overall I'm happy with it. I've got a couple of 6-footers on tap next.

And the fall? That's something new i'm trying. I've seen twisted falls like the first half, and I used to use a single straight-fall like the second half... But I wanted to try to emulate the taper on a leather fall, so this is what I came up with. Seems to work pretty well, but I have to see how accurate the new whip is compared to my others... I've got a Whip Enthusiast meeting in a week, so we'll see how it goes.
You could finish your whips with a taper twist. that gives a pretty good taper to it, thought it's more difficult to fix if it's needing

replaced.
TREX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TREX »

Looks Really Pudy Dave! I would leave the exposed knob, I think that gives it it's own personality!
Can't wait to try one out!

-T.Rex
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by PyramidBlaster »

You could finish your whips with a taper twist.
I've seen whips done like that, and I never really cared for it. I've always liked the traditional fall-hitch style...The new falls seem to be working fine, though...
Can't wait to try one out!
I have to order some Midnight blue paracord, but i'll be starting on the next two whips shortly...We'll see where it leads!
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

PyramidBlaster wrote:Almost there! The whip is functionally done, but I still want to add a brushed silver ring and ring-knots at the thong end of the handle... It's still quite stiff, and i'm not able to really wind it up and give it a few energetic cracks to help everything limber up just yet... Maybe later tonight. All in all, heads above my previous work. I learned so much on that overlay braid! Still a couple of things I'd change on the next one, but the formula is coming along....

In the end I ended up kinda liking the uncovered knob, and it matched the diameter of the handle so well...I ended up keeping it bare. Whaddya think, T.Rex?

The red color is definitely darker in natural lighting, being like a blood red/burgundy color...

I'll post pix of the ring once I locate one I like, and put it on!

LOL--if the Cairo swordsman carries a whip--that would be the one!