9' 12 plait indy style bullwhip, Natural Tan Kangaroo

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

riku1914
Vendor

9' 12 plait indy style bullwhip, Natural Tan Kangaroo

Post by riku1914 »

Just finished it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: 9' 12 plait indy style bullwhip, Natural Tan Kangaroo

Post by kwh »

riku1914 wrote:Just finished it!

pretty awesome man :TOH:
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Very nice work Riku!

Your taper is very fluid and it looks like it should crack pretty effortlessly.

Some things to watch out for:

A few bumps here and there... I presume strand drops. No biggie, but keep an eye on it.
Keep an eye on the size of your butt end (pommel) -You don't want to make it too bit... This is where the balance of leather thickness, amount of lead you put in and the way you fold the keepers becomes relevant.

Overall a very nicely made whip. Congratulations, well done!

Franco
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

I believe Canuck Digger summed it up quite nicely. You are at the point now where you just really need to watch what is on the under the final layer of the whip. Every little thing shows ten fold on the final layer. Overall, you plaiting and strand sizing seems to be very nice. Keep up the good work. And remember: Practice, practice, practice. And when you think you are good, practice some more!

Luke
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Thanks everybody! The bumps are because I was using Joe Strains strand dropping method, but I was doing it a little wrong, Cannuck you know from pm's :lol:

I'll be doing it right next time. Next whip I'm making an indy style 6 footer, which I'll likely put in the bazaar, and after that I'm

wanting to make a black, longer handled whip. My 10th leather whip, coming up soon, I'm going to make a replica of what I ordered

from midwest whips, just 12 plait instead of 16. I talked to Paul, and after I've completed it, I'm going to send it to him and he's

going to look it over and tell me what I'm doing good on, what I can work on, and give me some tips.

Thanks again!

edit: I have a roo hide about 50 dm, and I have one around 60dm coming in from midwest, along with some whitehide and latigo

because I'm almost out of falls! Time to get making falls again, something I'm not too keen on. Same with crackers, so sometimes

I just have to do it :

I made 40 or so crackers in an hour, so I won't need to for a while now! I have a lot of polypropylene crackers made up as

well, which I like MUCH better, just when I made them I didn't "match" them like I did these nylon ones. The nylon ones I made

all between 6 and 7" twisted, and 3.5" tassle. The poly ones now I made between 7-8", with a 4-4.5" tassle.

edit: I forgot to mention why the heel got as large as it did. When I put the lead on, it usually kind of wrapped up slightly,

making the bulge from the head of the nail less noticeable, ( I like to keep the head on because of the bit of added weight, plus

it sort of rounds out the back of the heel ) but in this one it didn't. So normally I'd fold the yoke from the overlay over the back

of the lead foundation, tie it off, then cut the other one to either 1, act as an evening out thing from the wrist loop or two,

if there's no wrist loop, cut it off to cover the foundation completely. In this case, I folded it over the back again, to help make

the head of the nail less apparent, because I don't like the way it looks when you have it sticking out like that. That's the only

reason it got bigger, and now I know!
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

If you want to soften the look of the nail head and you feel that the two keepers from the belly and overlay are not enough, try cutting out a few leather disks and glue them to the nail head. This will also protect the keeper from the metal of the head.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

In this particular case it turned out quite well. From now on I'm simply going to be sure the leather wraps "up" a little. I've got my

best shaped heel knots when it did this, so I figure I ought to keep doing it.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Nice job, Riku! That's some truly inspiring work you've done. Way back before my COW hiatus, I was going to try my hand a whip making, but I just never got around to it. After looking at your recent masterpiece.........several times--I'm going to give it a try. Be warned, though---you're going to be getting some PMs from me soon.....lol!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I look forward to them! I'll do everything I can to help you. I found it helpful to talk to people ( when I was first starting ) that hadn't been making whips for a very long time, that clearly remembered things that came up when they first started. Maybe I can
do the same for you, as it's been a little less than a year I've been making whips now ( probably 6-8 months on leather ).
:TOH:
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Jeremy, the whip looks amazing! You've improved quite a lot in such short time! Keep them coming!

Aldo.