2010 Custom Raiders officially laid to rest....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

My Wested Custom Raiders jacket is no more as of today :(
It served a good full year's life, however. It did have some length issues (2 inches short in the sleeves and an 1.5 inches short in the length) BUT it was a savvy looking Raiders jacket. I remember being so jazzed at how the pockets were just right...the first time I had scene a Wested Raiders jacket where the pockets were right on (and I have been through a number of 'em :- ) But alas, I stretched it out SO much in an effort to compensate for the length issues, I eventually went overboard and some holes near the stitching and attachment points started showing up. Long story short, literally overnight, the holes at the strap fixtures near the pocket entry got SO huge, there was no stopping em. I did a repair myself that lasted a couple months, and it looked convincing enough, but it didn't last.

SOOooo, here's the flip side. My parental units have proposed getting a "Hero" for me. \:D/ Naturally, and without much pride, I accepted....I mean, HEY, they and I both know my economic situation is downright abysmal, but they know how much this jacket means to me, and, like me, they can't see me being without it. It literally has become my "uniform", so to speak.

I am VERY excited. BUT I go into this knowing full well that I have to size up. Since the 38 regular had length issues, I'm going for the size 40. This will most likely present with lower shoulder seams, but with the 38, the shoulder seams were pretty much at the tip of my shoulders, so I have some wiggle room there. And I think that will also help with the sleeve length.

Comparisons of a late model custom Raiders and the Hero jacket may be an apples to oranges thing, but I really think upsizing to the 40 is gonna work out.

Here are some pictures that demonstrate what I'm talking about:

What do you think? Should I upsize to the 40 with standard sleeve and back lenght? Or should I stick with the 38 and add 2 inches to the sleeves and an inch and a half to the back length? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! :TOH:
Ravenswood
Last edited by Ravenswood on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: 2010 Custom Raiders officially laid to rest....

Post by tomek9210 »

38 size Hero measures 40" around the chest, so it has only 2" of room. If you are fine with that, go with size 38 with longer sleeves (body length is great IMO). If you feel that you need more room, go upsize.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Ok, thanks Tomek! I'll probably go with staying 38, but with longer sleeves. I really don't need more room in the chest, and that would make the shoulder seams properly placed.
One question, IF I add length to the back, would the front panels be lengthened to match? One of the things I like most about the jacket is the angular look you on the bottom hem when you wear the jacket "on the shoulders". Just out of curiosity, of course ;)
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

request they add 1 inch to the front length as well
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

If it were me, I would go up a size.

I think a great photo reference is the cover of people magazine that had Indy and Marion on the cover. That's the best true to fit pic of the jacket I've ever seen. It was fairly roomy and a tad baggy even.

If I can find it I will post it here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

What a bummer about your wested though ](*,)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Definitely go up a size. How would it fit if you zipped it up? Looks like you would look like you were wearing a wet suit! :lol:
Seriously though, a size up would make all the difference in the world. :TOH:

ps. Ask your parents if they would buy me a jacket too... ;)
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Well, I took the plunge. As of a couple of days ago, my order was upgraded to "processing".....VERY excited. I want to hold out 'till I get it to tell you which option I chose, but I THANK you for your input. In the end it turned out very "six of one, half a dozen of the other" kind of thing. The proof of the pudding will certainly be in the tasting [-o<
stay tuned...
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

& Hollowpond, I'll put in a good word for you! ;) :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

HP, he never said exactly what that good word would be, now DID he? =;

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

#-o Michaelson, I should hire you as a reality check consultant. You are great at looking at everything I get excited over and reinterpreting it so my hopes get smashed on the rocks... :lol: ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I do what I can.... [-(

:Plymouth:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

:rolling:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:lol:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Wellll it looks like I may have over-shot it a bit in the length department. I guess I really shoulda gone for the 38 with the (MUCH) added length to the sleeves and back. The jacket itself is right on...it just might not look right on me, lol :?
Here's the long and the short of it: (keep in mind I'm 5'10" and I ordered a size 40 with a 25" back and 24.5" sleeves)

What say you? Exchange? Even though this is precisely what I ordered :oops:

Otherwise, an incredible jacket! :clap: Hats off to Wested.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Dude...are about the same build and therefor in the same predicament....I am 5`9 and I have a thin chest so although I can get by in 40 size jacket, the chest and shoulders always seems to be a bit loose. So, with Wested, I have always gone with 38 and they have fit perfect. My Hero is 38 with 25 1/2 sleeves and 25 back. Cold water sprayed it several times and it conformed into what I would deem perfect FOR ME!
My opinion is that you return it if possible for a 38 with longer sleeves and back. The front looks like it may conform eventually thru wear but the back seems like it may be too much. How does it feel, fit wise?
Love that Wested Collar.

](*,)
Okay, I just saw your photos in the other thread and the fit looks much better in those shots so I retract what I said....it actually looks very good in those other photos....just needs alittle you and him time together to get to know one another. :D

Did your collar come like that already or did you already work that in? As you can tell, I am very impressed with how it looks...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nice jacket, but the sleeves still look too short to me. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Same here.

If you wear a lot of long sleeve shirts, it's not a big deal...but as it is now, it looks like it could use a good inch or more to get it where they need to end up. You lose every bit of that or more in the elbow with rideup after the sleeve breaks in, so you have to allow for the loss in the length when ordering.

Regard! Michaelson
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

If I were you I would return it and exchange for 38 with 25.5 sleeves. There is too much leather in front panels and in the top of the backpanel for my taste.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Moving his photo from the other 'Hero' thread:

It works ok with the jacket unzipped and worn with the jacket slid down off the shoulders like this....but as is pointed out...you had to pick up the length you needed in the cuff by getting it from 'off the shoulder' as seen in this photo.

Regards! Michaelson
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Heheh, oh boy this is a corker... I think I saw this coming, but I didn't expect it to resolve in quite the way that it did. I am loathe to exchange it just because of the time, money and effort involved. BUt that would be less of a pain in rear than having to adjust to this aesthetic which is not quite as Raidersy (if only from a certain angle, unzipped and so forth)...Plus, there's nothing inherently wrong with the jacket. I could ruminate ad infinitum, but it really boils down to what I really want out of this jacket. And that's a question I can ask myself more times than I care to count :anxious:
Mustering the courage to #1, take this jacket off...(which isn't as cavalier an endeavor as some of you might imagine, especially since I find myself trying to "justify" the look)....
Anyways, I'll take a couple steps back and re-reconsider a few things. Thank you for your comments! ....*cue muzak* :lol:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Too true, _ #-o :lol:
Well, I have moved beyond step 1, which was to take the jacket off, lol....I will call Wested tomorrow, and see if they can exchange this for me.
Gorak, thanks for your comments! This jacket definitely has it's perks. I think I fall short of filling out the shoulders, and thus everything else kind of follows suit after that. But if I have a chance to really nail this, I want to go ahead and do it. If I can't, I can't. It's a heckuva jacket. That collar is right on :) and it came that way right out of the bag. And I'm sure with enough weathering and wearing, the extra room in the front panels will matter less....but that's just it....less. Plus, yea, the sleeves, however functional are not long enough for the full on Raiders look. On that note I am figuring 26 inches on the sleeves since I got monkey arms, lol. On the back, 25 inches. Obviously 38 in the shoulders.
Thanks again for the comments, guys :TOH:
preparing for step 2. [-o<
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You may want to also send an email with these photos attached so they can actually see what you're talking about.

Regards! Michaelson
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Right on, brotha
:tup: :tup:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

I went ahead and emailed them. A very straight-forward email asking if I may exchange the jacket for one with revised measurements, size 38. I included the pictures by way of demonstration....Notwithstanding, what a difference a bag makes. :shock: :CR:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Gemma has given me the go ahead to send it in to resolve the issue :)
I'm gonna go ahead and do that this weekend.
I'm going for the 38 with 25 inch back and 26 inch sleeves....
I was also thinking of pushing the extremes further, by going for 24.5 inch back and 26.5 inch sleeves because of what the snugger shoulders will do to the sleeve length. Frankly it just looks like I could even go for 27 inch sleeves....based on the pics, what do you guys think?
Any and all (read "more") thoughts welcome :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Long sleeves can be shortened. Short sleeves is short!
Nemo1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nemo1 »

Kt Templar wrote:Long sleeves can be shortened. Short sleeves is short!
Words of wisdom! :TOH:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Okay! GOT the new jacket \:D/ It's BEAUTIFUL....buuuut, it's in the shop! :? ](*,)
I even took a video of the unveiling and first wear. It's a pretty indulgent video. I just about have my own little fashion show, in front of a mirror :roll: lol, BUT now that my jacket is being held for sleeve shortening, It's about all I watch now! :lol:
If I suddenly put the video up on the internets, I will most certainly provide a link. I am thinking on how I can present this to you guys.

I got the 38 with 25 inch back and 27 inch sleeves. The sleeves definitely could use a trim. I set it for an inch and a quarter. I really want to set it right at the first thumb knuckle, and then allow for shrinkage, with error on the longer side. I know they look about right in this picture, but I had the sleeves seriously scrunched up. When you let them down, they just about fully cover my hands. Indeed I was half tempted to keep the extra length.

Here is a pic of it, with a specially made "Indy Scarf" from one of my good buddy's girlfriends. It might be a teeny bit long in the body, if only by an inch. BUT I wanted that extra length. I am a long, as it happens....and well, I will be thankful for that extra inch when I am foolish enough to wear it out in 37 degree weather :P

I will start a whole new thread once I get the jacket back. It will go into more specifics, unless you have anything to ask about it here :TOH:

Scheduled arrival date is the 21st of January.....(cue Tom Petty music, "the waiiiiting is the haaardest part...")
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

As you say, those sleeves are way too long. From everything you've said you should be a 38 with a 25.5 inch sleeve. At five feet ten 25.5 inch back would be fine