Your favorite whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Your favorite Bullwhip

Raiders, Natural
48%
Temple, Saddle
3%
Crusade, Brown/Whiskey
13%
Skull, Saddle/Whiskey
8%
Raiders, Other
5%
Temple, Other
No votes
Crusade, Other
3%
Skull, Other
3%
Custom whip
18%
Standard Indy whip
3%

Total votes: 40

iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Your favorite whip

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

Pick which one you like most. The first four are the standard colors from the specified movie IMO. The next four are whips from the specified movie, just in any color you like. If you choose that, please post what kind you like. Same goes for custom whip. And please post YOUR preferred length for your preferred whip.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Your favorite whip

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

As much as I love the Raiders natural, the option of custom on this poll wins out. Before even considering color, I like a smaller turkshead knot and I'd drop the wrist loop faster than you can blink. At this point, I also think I would go for a 6'. As for a favorite color, I think it's a tie between natural and 2-tone natural and a reddish brown (not sure what that would be called).
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I like the raiders in natural so far. I have also found that I like a longer whip over a short one. I've tried 6', 7.5 ', and 8 ', I like

the 8' most. I assume I'd enjoy a 10 ft. as well.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

I'd choose standard Indy whip, color is not important, I like every shade of roo leather, natural and dark saddle tan are best I think.
Long handle with ringknot at the end of it, big buttknot and heavy weight are things I'm looking for in a Indy whip. CS whips are not for me, I don't like the way they're balanced, and that thick thong, which looks weird when coiled and not broken in yet. And I prefer the taper of Morgan style whip.
I use also target bullwhip with 12" handle and stockwhips, but Indy whip will always be my fav!
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

I chose the Temple whip, I like the colour and the handle.

Funnilly enough, the Temple jacket is my favourite jacket and the hat isn't too bad either so I guess that film has my favourite Indy look, it was also the first one I saw at the cinema as a kid and in many ways is my favourite movie of the series.
bjw
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bjw »

Gotta be Raiders Natural. Not a big fan of tapered handles and I just dig the slightly thinner thong of the Raiders as compared to the LC. I've never handled a Jacka but based solely on looks (e.g., those hula-hoop coils, TH knot shape, too-long wrist loop) it doesn't even rate as a qualifier; just doesn't have the flare or character of its predecessor. I imagine this is due mainly to how each respective whip breaks in. One of the things I love about Indy's Morgans is their loose, almost wet-noodle quality (to borrow Whiskyman's phrase). While this may not add up to the most balanced or accurate whip performance-wise, for look and feel it IS the Indy whip. While certainly a beautiful whip in its own right, the Jacka does not for me rate as an Indy whip. I guess I'm a bit Indy-centric in my whip tastes. So yeah, Raiders all the way!
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

I agree. Never been a fan of the Jacka whip for the reasons you mention. I dislike the overall colour, the darker knots, the shape of the TH, the longer wrist loop and the fact it is tied in a knot. To me, it doesn't represent the Indy whips like all the David Morgan ones do in pictures. Not sure why they went with Jacka, if it aint broke and all. Personally, I find the colour makes it look cheap and of a lower quality, like in that picture of Indy's wardbrobe, it doesn't sit right with the colour of the rest of the gear, just my opinion though. The Raiders tan has always been a bit light for me so my favourite was always the Temple whip followed by Crusade.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Collectedin89 wrote:I agree. Never been a fan of the Jacka whip for the reasons you mention. I dislike the overall colour, the darker knots, the shape of the TH, the longer wrist loop and the fact it is tied in a knot. To me, it doesn't represent the Indy whips like all the David Morgan ones do in pictures. Not sure why they went with Jacka, if it aint broke and all. Personally, I find the colour makes it look cheap and of a lower quality, like in that picture of Indy's wardbrobe, it doesn't sit right with the colour of the rest of the gear, just my opinion though. The Raiders tan has always been a bit light for me so my favourite was always the Temple whip followed by Crusade.
The reason jacka was used, is that Anthony Delongis ( for lack of a longer story ) was asked to order the whips. He's a big jacka

fan, and he likes longer handles. So since the indy people wanted the standard indy handle, he knew jacka would extend the

thong some. I've heard some say these whips can take up to a year to properly break in :x
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I enjoy the Raiders SOC whip. Looks beat up, and abused and I like the dirty colour to end of the whip.
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

Coming from the whip-slinging world, it comes to mind that i'm very particular of the various aspects of a whip...I've been a self-taught user since 1987, and making them since 1994. For a long time, I was exposed only to what I saw in the movies, the one (non-Indy) whip I bought, and the whips that I made. My world completely changed in 2006 when I fell in with a local Whip Enthusiasts club...And was exposed to a wide variety of makes and models of whips...As well as all sorts of new styles of handling them. I began to develop my own preferences, and incorporate them into my own work.

So while the look is important, it's the construction details that's ultimately most important to me. Custom all the way!!!
Last edited by PyramidBlaster on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

PyramidBlaster wrote:Coming from the whip-slinging world, it comes to mind that i'm very particular of the various aspects of a whip...I've been a self-taught user since 1987, and making them since 1994. For a long time, I was exposed only to what I saw in the movies, the one (non-Indy) whip I bought, and the whips that made. My world completely changed in 2006 when I fell in with a local Whip Enthusiasts club...And was exposed to a wide variety of makes and models of whips...As well as all sorts of new styles of handling them. I began to develop my own preferences, and incorporate them into my own work.

So while the look is important, it's the construction details that's ultimately most important to me. Custom all the way!!!
I agree with you. Most recent whip I made I titled "raiders style" but it was really a raiders, it was an 8 " handle with the knot on

the end, it was pretty slim like a raiders, 12 plait overlay ending in 6 plait point BUT I did the wrist loop different, did the transition

different, and put a little extra lead in the heel. I customized to try something a little different for myself than the standard loose

transition, slow taper thing. Oh yeah the taper was a bit quicker than what I'd normally do.
Collectedin89
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Collectedin89 »

TheExit148 wrote:I enjoy the Raiders SOC whip. Looks beat up, and abused and I like the dirty colour to end of the whip.
I really like the look of the whip in that scene too although I would never let a whip of mine get in that condition although it does look cool.

There is a great thread on the main whip page where somebody replicated that look to great effect.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I agree. You can tell that whip had been USED, if not mistreated. It served it's purpose though, making that scene.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I like the general appearance of the Temple because the color is in the middle to me, I have always categorized saddle tan to TOD. Also I like long handles.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

iwantamorganreelbad1 wrote:I like the general appearance of the Temple because the color is in the middle to me, I have always categorized saddle tan to TOD. Also I like long handles.
saddle has a reddish hue to it, I don't see this in the Tod whips...
Blake Bruning
Vendor

Post by Blake Bruning »

I love the 3 tone whip Joe Strain has on his custom whips page(http://northernwhipco.com/specialty_whips.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;),3rd one down!. It is a arrow striped pattern that goes light brown to dark brown to black and back to dark brown to light brown and repeats. It looks like a variation of a snakes skin. I plan on haveing him make me a snake whip with that pattern.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

Blake Bruning wrote:I love the 3 tone whip Joe Strain has on his custom whips page(http://northernwhipco.com/specialty_whips.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;),3rd one down!. It is a arrow striped pattern that goes light brown to dark brown to black and back to dark brown to light brown and repeats. It looks like a variation of a snakes skin. I plan on haveing him make me a snake whip with that pattern.
Better yet, do something like this:

Picture was taken from Bernie Wojcicki's site, embrandwhips
Columbiana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Columbiana Jones »

It's funny--am I really this shallow?

I was actually thinking of listing and letting go of a Del Carpio kip Raiders earlier this year. This whip was made with hides that Bernardo got from David Morgan himself, and looks just like a Raiders whip should look, in my experience (to me, it looks better than a 90s Morgan I owned just three years ago). The previous owner had done various things to it to try and darken it though--placed it in the sunlight, used colored Pecards--not sure what else. Anyhow, when I got it, it was such a "pretty" shade of red-whisky. . .I loved how it handled but just could not get used to that "pretty" color. Until. . .I whipped out the brown shoe polish and coated it one afternoon. It darkened it up _just_enough_ to the point that suddenly, it has become my ideal whip overall.

I have a Crease-N-Crusader on order from Dusty, and it seems to be very close to this color.
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

I'm in between raider's natural and skull whiskey. From a whip user's perspective, the skull is king for its throwing capabilities. But from an indy fans perspective, the raiders natural, just because.
trdaggers
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by trdaggers »

I love my 8 foot natural Morgan.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Columbiana Jones wrote:It's funny--am I really this shallow?

I was actually thinking of listing and letting go of a Del Carpio kip Raiders earlier this year. This whip was made with hides that Bernardo got from David Morgan himself, and looks just like a Raiders whip should look, in my experience (to me, it looks better than a 90s Morgan I owned just three years ago). The previous owner had done various things to it to try and darken it though--placed it in the sunlight, used colored Pecards--not sure what else. Anyhow, when I got it, it was such a "pretty" shade of red-whisky. . .I loved how it handled but just could not get used to that "pretty" color. Until. . .I whipped out the brown shoe polish and coated it one afternoon. It darkened it up _just_enough_ to the point that suddenly, it has become my ideal whip overall.

I have a Crease-N-Crusader on order from Dusty, and it seems to be very close to this color.

I was thinking of selling my wii and my ps2 on monday and putting the money towards a whip. [-( [-( [-(
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

iwantamorganreelbad1 wrote:
Columbiana Jones wrote:It's funny--am I really this shallow?

I was thinking of selling my wii and my ps2 on monday and putting the money towards a whip. [-( [-( [-(
sell the ps2, keep the wii... Like I should be talking, I still have a ps2 and no wii :lol: