Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by APL »

Texan Scott wrote:FYI....the new jackets are in and Todd said that the jacket details are right, with the bag straps and sandbags due on Friday! ;)
Is this "right" as in compared to the current specs? :D

Thanks!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Right as in Todd ripped the jacket right off Ford's back in the Temple scene and copied it! :P Remember the old full contact golf commercials? :lol: Accurate details to the film jacket, though.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Awesome!
Can't wait to see some pics.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Texan Scott wrote:Right as in Todd ripped the jacket right off Ford's back in the Temple scene and copied it! :P Remember the old full contact golf commercials? :lol: Accurate details to the film jacket, though.
Awesome, hopefully the sizes won't change much, but I'll be sure to attempt to get one from the new batch when I order. Thanks!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

Why is this starting to feel like the technology chase?

"Don't you already have a jacket, dear?"

"That's a 2008 Todd's. This is a 2011 Todd's!"
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Yeah, I'm about to have that same talk with my wife too! #-o

Can't wait to see some pics get posted of the new ones and some reviews of the leather. I sold my '08 and I really miss it. I like my BW, but it's no where near what my standard was...just doesn't drape or feel the same. I like my BW and wear it all the time, but would prefer a standard like my old one with the enhanced fit and corrected details (sleeve seams mainly).
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

My Todd's jacket just shipped today!! I'm very excited as this will be my first jacket from Todd. I've been a big fan of his props for years, so I'm excited after reading through all the rave jacket reviews here. I just had to finally get one. Of course, I'll post some pics of it when it arrives.

Kind regards,
Craig
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

post ASAP! :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Oildale Jones wrote:Why is this starting to feel like the technology chase?

"Don't you already have a jacket, dear?"

"That's a 2008 Todd's. This is a 2011 Todd's!"
That doesn't look remotely like an 11B, THIS is an 11B.
~Rimmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

I'm excited to see the new pictures, but I just noticed the price change on the jacket. I'm glad I bought mine off another member a while back! I'll have to post some pictures as to how the jacket looks after owning it for a year and a half.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Adventure Dog wrote:I'm excited to see the new pictures, but I just noticed the price change on the jacket. I'm glad I bought mine off another member a while back! I'll have to post some pictures as to how the jacket looks after owning it for a year and a half.

Shoot! I just noticed the price change too. ](*,)

Well, I'm sure if Todd bumped the price it was because 1) He had too, and 2) because he's VERY pleased with this new supply!

I can't wait. Hopefully Todd with chime in and give us his thoughts on the new jackets. [-o<
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

ACK! I had it in my cart the other day and didn't click submit, and now the price went up $50.... grr. It's apparently still in my cart at the $149 price tho... hmm....
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Sir Serrecuir,what size did you order.Can´t wait to see info and pics from the "new run".......
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Well, my wife gave me the go-ahead to try and I went and completed the order that was still in my cart. Wonder if that means it's the old run.... heh. But my wife was more apt to let me spend the $149 vs the new $199 price, so no matter which version I get, I'll be happy with the results. :D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

We're curious about the new run, but I suspect that serrecuir will receive his jacket first since he is around the area. ;) Mine will be held up until the straps and sandbags are in. The gun costs as much as the jacket! :lol:

All of that to say....post 'em UP, serrecuir! :tup: :ducttape:

:P
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, sorry about the price increase, but I've been trying to hold this back for a while. The price of leather and the price of shipping keeps creeping up and up. I was just taking a smaller and smaller markup. I can't do it no more.

The latest jackets are from NZ lambskin, which cost more, but it is worth it. I love it. Unfortunately, it costs more. Did I mention it costs more? Also, the details this time are perfect. As a bonus, I re-worked the cut a little and threw in a few small changes I suspect were done in the best screen jackets. They fit better, are more comfortable, and still look exactly SA. I emailed the manufacturer and said - "This is it! DON'T change a thing!!!" But that's not why the price increase. Those were things I've been pursuing all along.

When I first got these jackets, $149 was a fair price, by my numbers. Prices have crept up and up, but I didn't want to budge from that $149 price. I'm being honest when I tell you I SHOULD have been charging $175 for the BW jackets, by the numbers. Now I have to look at what replacement cost will be. The new leather costs $15 more per jacket, air freight/duties/fees added $20 PER JACKET. This is insane. It used to run about $5 per jacket. You can do the math.

To avoid countless hours of customer service headaches, we are not differentiating between the old jackets/new jackets/BW jackets/etc. We just have 1 jacket and 1 price.

A COW insider's tip: the new jackets are size M, XL, and XXL. The other sizes will be replaced with new jackets (duh!) as they sell out (I can't believe I just wrote something that stupid).

Anyway, it's the best I can do. I hope you like the new jackets. For me, the quest is over for what I envisioned as the perfect replica jacket. I hope prices will come down some day, but listening to the news, it doesn't sound likely.

-Todd
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Puppetboy wrote:Yes, sorry about the price increase, but I've been trying to hold this back for a while. The price of leather and the price of shipping keeps creeping up and up. I was just taking a smaller and smaller markup. I can't do it no more.

The latest jackets are from NZ lambskin, which cost more, but it is worth it. I love it. Unfortunately, it costs more. Did I mention it costs more? Also, the details this time are perfect. As a bonus, I re-worked the cut a little and threw in a few small changes I suspect were done in the best screen jackets. They fit better, are more comfortable, and still look exactly SA. I emailed the manufacturer and said - "This is it! DON'T change a thing!!!" But that's not why the price increase. Those were things I've been pursuing all along.

When I first got these jackets, $149 was a fair price, by my numbers. Prices have crept up and up, but I didn't want to budge from that $149 price. I'm being honest when I tell you I SHOULD have been charging $175 for the BW jackets, by the numbers. Now I have to look at what replacement cost will be. The new leather costs $15 more per jacket, air freight/duties/fees added $20 PER JACKET. This is insane. It used to run about $5 per jacket. You can do the math.

To avoid countless hours of customer service headaches, we are not differentiating between the old jackets/new jackets/BW jackets/etc. We just have 1 jacket and 1 price.

A COW insider's tip: the new jackets are size M, XL, and XXL. The other sizes will be replaced with new jackets (duh!) as they sell out (I can't believe I just wrote something that stupid).

Anyway, it's the best I can do. I hope you like the new jackets. For me, the quest is over for what I envisioned as the perfect replica jacket. I hope prices will come down some day, but listening to the news, it doesn't sound likely.

-Todd
Thank you for all the great information. I'm ok with the L being from the last batch, makes me feel better about getting the older price from the saved cart after reading this, too. Best of luck with the new jacket pricing and I can't wait to see how they turned out as opposed to the last batch.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Dude, once I can insure that I would get one from the new batch, I am sooooo selling my Wings and getting one of these!!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

I purchased a size Medium for the previous price around midnight on Wednesday, and I got the shipment notification mid-day on Thursday. Judging from Todd's recent post, I assume I'm getting one of the new jackets since it's a Medium, but I guess I'll know for sure when it arrives and I get to post pics here.

It's on track for delivery Saturday, but I had it shipped to work, so looks like I'll receive it Monday AM.

Kind regards,
Craig
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

I received my Medium on Sept 26, I'm guessing I got the old version?

Either way I love it! Looking forward to seeing the new one though.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Got my shipping update and it should arrive on Thursday.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Well, my package arrived today in that familiar brown box! Quick to open its contents, that beef jerkey smell (can you bottle this smell?) instantly brought back memories of other Todd's Standard jackets that I have ordered in the past. What would this new iteration bring, and what new and interesting improvements awaited me? Todd's Standard Raiders jacket 2011...

My new jacket from Toddus Maximus Coyleus!

Granted, this is straight out of the box, mind you! The leather is very supple, about twice as thick as the 2008 model, and seemingly begins to conform right when you put the jacket on. The leather is complete with plenty of grain, and I'm really glad that Todd sent me a Large-my normal size, because the darn thing looks like it was custom made for me!

Some history
To the best of my understanding, the first run of Todd's jackets was in 2008, and this jacket was distinctive in that these were made of what looks similiar in color to thin, authentic brown lambskin-a chocolate brown color, were slim fitting, the hand warmers did not go into the lining, the leather was smooth lamb, and the sizing was just a little tricky; but when you found the right size, it was a near perfect fit... :P His second generation was sold in 2009 and was much like its precursor, except that this run of jackets was made of a darker brown-dark chocolate lambskin. The new issue of 2010 was characterized by a bit more grain to the leather, the sizes were truer to OTR, and the hand warmers went into the liner. During the summer of 2011, we were introduced to that wonderful SNAFU: the "Bantu Wind-like" run of Standard's at a substantially discounted price. These were in essence, factory firsts and seconds, the leather was much grainier, and were characterized by a lower yoke, and the fit was for the average person. That brings us to the fifth generation of Todd's Std.'s!

In our forum, we have certain visions of the jacket, and mine has always been scene in which Indy and Satipo enter the Temple and his hanging off the front bumper of the truck. The image, color and grain of the back panel has stayed with me always, as has the People magazine still of Indy and Marion just outside the Well of Souls. Todd, I have to say that this time, you have absolutely knocked it out of the park, and it could be the best Raiders jacket you have produced to date! It is worth the slightly higher cost and then some! :H:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

who told you my middle name was Maximus? It's only been legal for a week.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

;) :tup:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Excellent jacket! Mr. Coyle, you have outdone yourself sir!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Weston
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

I love my Bantu Wind and I'm "conforming" a 2008 as I type... but darn it, that is one beautiful jacket. It would be irresponsible for me to order one right now, but lemme see if I can sell this extra kidney...
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

how heavy would you say the new one is?

The great thing for me about the old jacket was the very light weight coupled with the toughness of the leather (especially after water was applied).
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Todd said that only M, XL and XXL were from the new batch. You received a L. Are you sure it's from a new batch?
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

We have a mix in size L of old and new. We're shipping out the old ones first to avoid confusion. Texan Scott got a new one by request. Any of our forum friends can request a new "L", otherwise, we're moving out the old ones first.

TS, it looks good on you. I see the time I spent re-working the pattern paid off.

-Todd
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

That´s a Large!? Looks like Xlarge to me.How tall are you,what´s your chestsize.
BTW Looks like warm weather over there,is it warm or cold weather jacket!?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Puppetboy wrote:We have a mix in size L of old and new. We're shipping out the old ones first to avoid confusion. Texan Scott got a new one by request. Any of our forum friends can request a new "L", otherwise, we're moving out the old ones first.

TS, it looks good on you. I see the time I spent re-working the pattern paid off.

-Todd
Good to know. Thanks Todd!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Here are a few shots of my Medium, just received yesterday. (Sorry for the poor, indoor pics - I only have my little digital camera, and the weather is pretty lousy where I'm at now).

Kind regards,
Craig

Last edited by serrecuir on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

This leather is wonderful material, and I can't say enough good things about it. As mentioned, the leather is about twice as thick as the original run of Todd's jackets, and it might weight about as much as the BW, if not a little bit less. The leather is like shrink wrap to the body. I mean, you put it on, and BLAM! instant Indy look. ;) The opening sequence comes to mind right away. This is about the closest in specs and cut to the movie jacket. I think you will really like it. The new run fits very close to the usual OTR size.

Today was the first bona fide jacket wearing weather kinda morning, 53f! :mrgreen:

:H:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I'll put this question to both Todd and Scott:
I'm ordering one of these beauties in about 2 weeks... Now, I remember a couple of years ago when I was looking into getting a Todd's Jacket, I was reading again and again to "Order an XL if you normally wear a Large... Order a Large if you normally wear a Medium, etc"
...How do these go Size-wise?
I'm a pretty reliable Size 42 Regular Sportsjacket-wearin'-sized-guy... Is Large the way to go, this time around, then? :-k If so, I'll definitely be asking for one from the NEWER batch...

Todd, my compliments: That's a GREAT lookin' jacket!
:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Subject: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread
Mitch LaRue wrote:I'll put this question to both Todd and Scott:
I'm ordering one of these beauties in about 2 weeks... Now, I remember a couple of years ago when I was looking into getting a Todd's Jacket, I was reading again and again to "Order an XL if you normally wear a Large... Order a Large if you normally wear a Medium, etc"
...How do these go Size-wise?
I'm a pretty reliable Size 42 Regular Sportsjacket-wearin'-sized-guy... Is Large the way to go, this time around, then? :-k If so, I'll definitely be asking for one from the NEWER batch...

Todd, my compliments: That's a GREAT lookin' jacket!
:TOH:
Mitch LaRuesky in the hoooose! I mean, house! :P

Fox, that sounds like a Large from the new run, all over! I really do not think you will be disappointed with this jacket. Just itching for quality jacket weather, I put it to good use this morning! Now, stop hoggin' all the cool air up there, would you..? ;)

Bests to you,

Scott :TOH:
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

You know what Texan Scott, I am trying to purge jackets right now not acquire new ones, and then you post these pictures!! What to do, what to do?

That is a great looking jacket and one of the best Todd's jackets I have ever seen, OTR or CUSTOM!!

Oildale let me know how the conforming on that 2008 jacket works out for you, ok.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Scott,

All I can say is that it is worth it. You may very well decide to sell one or more of the others and keep the Todd's, should you decide to go that direction? I was amazed at how broken in it feels right out of the box. Imagine the jacket with some mileage on it? Todd kicked his game up a level!
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

scot2525 wrote:Oildale let me know how the conforming on that 2008 jacket works out for you, ok.
Amusingly, I bought Texan Scott's Bantu Wind and your Standard. Maybe I'll change my name to Secondhand Jones. :)

From the snugness, I assume you shrunk it to your size. It was a little short in the sleeves and tight across the back. I put it through a wash cycle and spent two days stretching it out, to very good effect. I had lengthened the cuffs but as soon as I washed it, the cuffs went back to their original length (leather memory?) which is OK now because the whole jacket relaxed and got bigger. I gave it a coat of Lexol today and it looks almost perfect again. (Now I have to start all over.)

I'm still debating whether to leave the loose stitching, repair it myself in the spirit of Indy, or have my leather guy fix it "for reals." I have another BW coming; when it gets here I'll decide which of my three Todd's is going to be my airplane fight jacket and get royally distressed.

What's funny is that the more I wear Todd's jackets, the less fond I am of my US Wings. When I wear the USW I think, "This is a nice jacket." When I wear a Todd's I think, "This is a Raiders jacket."

Thanks to both—I mean all—of you! :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

;) :tup: Hope you can get some years of use and plenty of mileage on them, OTR Jones! :P

:CR:
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Hey all, I got my jacket today and it feels a tad short around the waist. The sleeves are fine, it's just the length of the body. Is this normal and will it relax and stretch a bit? Image below:

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I may just be repeating what you already know, but with OTR measurements, I tend to fall back on three: chest, sleeve & back length. For a Raiders jacket it looks to be hitting on all cylinders. Try it with an oxford, button up shirt, or adventure/safari shirt that you have to tuck in and see if it makes a difference? ;)
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Texan Scott wrote:I may just be repeating what you already know, but with OTR measurements, I tend to fall back on three: chest, sleeve & back length. For a Raiders jacket it looks to be hitting on all cylinders. Try it with an oxford, button up shirt, or adventure/safari shirt that you have to tuck in and see if it makes a difference? ;)
Texan Scott has some good advice. The jacket length, for a raiders jacket, looks spot on to me.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...and the break in period is half the fun! ;) :tup:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Placed my order this morning and just recieved notification that it's SHIPPED!
Big thanks to Texan Scott, Todd hisself and the very helpful Kristen for getting me on track to get one of these!
:) :tup:
Looks like a great offering from Todd... Can't wait to see it in person!
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Awesome, so I'm still curious if it may stretch. I saw a couple of post that note the leather relaxes and stretches.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Placed my order this morning and just recieved notification that it's SHIPPED!
Big thanks to Texan Scott, Todd hisself and the very helpful Kristen for getting me on track to get one of these!
Really glad it went in your favor, Mitch! ;) Kristen was telling me last night that she was really surprised how fast these jackets were selling, so undoubtedly the word is out and they are moving rather well.

APL, if you are unhappy with the length, you might consider a size up, but this might add maybe 1/2 inch to the back length? Some have used the water treatment/stretching method, but it would be better to simply have the size that fits you best. jmo.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

APL wrote:Awesome, so I'm still curious if it may stretch. I saw a couple of post that note the leather relaxes and stretches.
Well, I'm wondering if I should return it for a bigger size. It may not seem it in the picture, but the more I try it on, the smaller it feels. I need to give it a tad more thought....
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

APL wrote:Awesome, so I'm still curious if it may stretch. I saw a couple of post that note the leather relaxes and stretches.
Is this your first Indy-style jacket? I couldn't say about the stretch, but I just wanted to mention that one thing that took getting used to by me (and still feels a bit weird) is how short a Raiders jacket feels to me. The sleeve length in particular looks great. You should go with whatever you are happy with, whether sticking with this, going for a Tall version, or bigger. Others who are more familiar with Todd's jackets can give better advice--I just wanted to say it's a nice looking jacket. :tup:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:
Is this your first Indy-style jacket? I couldn't say about the stretch, but I just wanted to mention that one thing that took getting used to by me (and still feels a bit weird) is how short a Raiders jacket feels to me. The sleeve length in particular looks great. You should go with whatever you are happy with, whether sticking with this, going for a Tall version, or bigger. Others who are more familiar with Todd's jackets can give better advice--I just wanted to say it's a nice looking jacket. :tup:

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Yeah, it's my first. The jacket itself is very nice, I just can't decide whether I'm going to return it for a bigger size. I'm sorta holding in the gut in that pic, so the more I "let out" the smaller it looks. Thanks for the info too, I'm wondering if I want a nice Raiders jacket or a nice fitting jacket...
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Texan Scott wrote:
Mitch LaRue wrote:Placed my order this morning and just recieved notification that it's SHIPPED!
Really glad it went in your favor, Mitch! ;) Kristen was telling me last night that she was really surprised how fast these jackets were selling, so undoubtedly the word is out and they are moving rather well.

APL, if you are unhappy with the length, you might consider a size up, but this might add maybe 1/2 inch to the back length? Some have used the water treatment/stretching method, but it would be better to simply have the size that fits you best. jmo.
Thanks, I was really only concerned with the size of the front. The back, chest, arms are all perfect. I guess I'm just way too picky sometimes too. I have a feeling that I would drown in a jacket the next size up, too. So I'm thinking that I'll wait a day or two and then decide...