Will I outgrow a fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Will I outgrow a fedora?

Post by jedichase »

Hey everybody,

I don't post a lot around here, even though I've been a member for a while now. Anyway, I'm currently seventeen (eighteen in December) and my mother has been nagging me to give her a Christmas idea. I would love a custom handmade raiders fedora (preferably by penman), but I'm afraid that if I get the hat I'll outgrow it in a couple of years. Are there any younger members here that can help me out? Some info about me that might help, I grew very fast and at a very young age; I haven't grown a lot in the past two years. Any help will be appreciated.

Chase K.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Will I outgrow a fedora?

Post by Michaelson »

I don't know if it's any help what so ever, but I was measured for a new band uniform at the age of 17, and was sized 7 3/8 or 23" head size at that time.

I'm in my late 50's now, and I'm still size 7 3/8, or more specificially, still have the same 23" head measurement.

So, at least in my case, there has been no change in size in all these years. I'd say your growing years are behind you....at least in THAT respect.

No if you're talking about waist line, unfortunately the answer is probably 'no'. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It is possible to go up in head size at this point, but it probably won't be a lot, unless you gain a great deal of weight. I actually went up about a half size in my 30's! My advice is, add 1/8 inch to your measurement now and pad the sweatband with a strip or two of craft sheet-foam (don't use glue). Then, if you grow 1/8 of an inch, you can just pull out the foam. If you grow 2/8 of an inch, the hat should be able to be stretched a tiny bit by a professional.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:I don't know if it's any help what so ever, but I was measured for a new band uniform at the age of 17, and was sized 7 3/8 or 23" head size at that time.

I'm in my late 50's now, and I'm still size 7 3/8, or more specificially, still have the same 23" head measurement.

So, at least in my case, there has been no change in size in all these years. I'd say your growing years are behind you....at least in THAT respect.

No if you're talking about waist line, unfortunately the answer is probably 'no'. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I am in total agreement in all areas with Micahelson here. My hat size is the same now as at 15yrs of age or so and well the waist area, a bit bigger, but not too bad. Everyone matures at different rates. Not sure about the head, but I would venture a guess that it probably wouldn't change too much ...but don't quote me on this. Changing hair length is a factor, but doesn't really apply here since the issue is actual head size. Just my two centabos. W>

ps: Must have been attempting to post as the same time as Chewbacca. He has excellent points here. W>
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

WConly wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I don't know if it's any help what so ever, but I was measured for a new band uniform at the age of 17, and was sized 7 3/8 or 23" head size at that time.

Regards! Michaelson
I am in total agreement in all areas with Micahelson here. My hat size is the same now as at 15yrs of age or so and well the waist area, a bit bigger, but not too bad. Everyone matures at different rates. Not sure about the head, but I would venture a guess that it probably wouldn't change too much ...but don't quote me on this. Changing hair length is a factor, but doesn't really apply here since the issue is actual head size. Just my two centabos. W>

ps: Must have been attempting to post as the same time as Chewbacca. He has excellent points here. W>
Same here. Only my waist line changed after 17... :?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's true! :lol:

I agree that you're likely around the hat size you'll be from here on out. Keep in mind, though, that the amount of hair can affect your hat size! If you have a very full head of long hair and get it cut very short, you'll tell a difference in how your hat fits!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

#-o
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I doubt that your head size will grow any more due to age but weight gain plays a much bigger factor. This doesn't mean it cant but not very likely.
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thanks for the replies. Now I'm confident about getting a hat.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

I've had the reverse problem. My noggin has shrunk! 5 years ago my hat size was a tight 7 1/2. After having lost a lot of weight over the last few years, I'm down to a 7 1/4. If I were to cut my hair off i'd probably be a 7 1/8.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

BendingOak wrote:I doubt that your head size will grow any more due to age but weight gain plays a much bigger factor. This doesn't mean it cant but not very likely.
iwantamorganreelbad1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by iwantamorganreelbad1 »

Maybe get a bigger hat and grow into it? :-k :-k
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's like I'm not even here.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

who said that??

:lol:

kidding..
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Holt wrote:who said that??

:lol:

kidding..
Exactly
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I sure wish BendingOak would chime in here. :-s

He's a master craftsman and custom hatmaker, and his input would be invaluable in a thread like this. [-o<

Oh, wait..... :-k

:Plymouth:

;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Will I outgrow a fedora?

Post by lantzn »

Yep I have one of John's hats and when I first wore it it began to get tighter and I fought it was shrinking. I cut my hair and it was loose again. :). I'm blessed with a thick head of hair and only cut it about every 3-4 months. It amazing how much room it takes up in a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Your hat size might go up a smidgen. But that is not the real problem. The real issue is that over time the fedora will shrink a little. In addiiton to buying the size a little larger and padding,as some have suggested, a $20 investment in a wooden hat keep to place in your lid when stored is a great investment on a hat that will be cost at least $100 to replace (at the low end not accounting for inflation). Cheers -- Feng
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Aye, hair length / amount is a major factor. When I cut my hair in May, my Camptown that used to give me a headache if I wore it for any longer than a minute fit like a glove.
Of course, now that my hair has grown back out quite a bit, the Camptown doesn't fit again. #-o
Good Christmas present idea. :H:
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Once again Thanks for all of the replies. I am very confident now about my head growing.
I'm now on the teeter board on if I should go for a Henry or a Penman. Any thoughts?

Also, AnubisScales- awesome avatar, That's my favorite part of TOD.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

There's no beating a custom hat. Penman all the way, if you ask me. -M
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

AnubisScales wrote:Aye, hair length / amount is a major factor. When I cut my hair in May, my Camptown that used to give me a headache if I wore it for any longer than a minute fit like a glove.
Of course, now that my hair has grown back out quite a bit, the Camptown doesn't fit again. #-o
Good Christmas present idea. :H:
All my hats were purchased when my hair was short. Now it is down to my shoulders. I have very thick hair...voluminous, if you will. My solution...I put it in a low pony tail and pull the hair tight. Hats fit like a glove again and I get to keep my hair.

Dave
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

yo man i got my hat when i was 15 or 16ish in a 57cm which was a hair bigger then my 56cm head and now im 18 and it still fits great, a little more snug especially since mine has turn on it but not too small at all. though i am gunna get another in a size 58cm. if i were you i would just get your size or maybe a cm bigger, worst case you can put a little padding in the sweatband
Wolfwood
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Wolfwood »

Depends very much on how long ago you had your growth spurt. Some boys only start growing seriously at 15 or after, while others have got most of their growth done a couple of years earlier.

Personally, I got finished my studies at Finnish high school thingummy at around 18 and got a hat that is still a good fit now that I'm 38. But I know guys who were still growing at that time who can no longer wear those hats (although it might be more about the weight gain).
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

From the wondrous internet:
Head circumference: Head circumference reflects brain size and is routinely measured up to 2 yr. At birth, the brain is 25% of adult size, and head circumference averages 35 cm. Head circumference increases an average 1 cm/mo during the 1st yr; growth is more rapid in the 1st 8 mo, and by 12 mo, the brain has completed half its postnatal growth and is 75% of adult size. Head circumference increases 3.5 cm over the next 2 yr; the brain is 80% of adult size by age 3 yr and 90% by age 7 yr.
By personal experience, I'd say you're pretty much your adult head size by 15... If you do go up in size at all, it will be minimal. Weight gain and hair will be the big 'ifs' here...In concurrence with what everyone's said.

I still have a couple of hats from when I was that age, and they still fit just the same....
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

jedichase wrote:Once again Thanks for all of the replies. I am very confident now about my head growing.
I'm now on the teeter board on if I should go for a Henry or a Penman. Any thoughts?

Also, AnubisScales- awesome avatar, That's my favorite part of TOD.
I was in the same boat as you before I made my decision to go ahead with the custom Penman. You won't be disappointed. John make an awesome hat. I'm even contemplating putting in another order soon, but the prices have risen a bit.
By the way, what part of central Florida are you from?

jlhampton
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I have a different view. My hat size has gone up 2 sizes since I was 19. I am still very close to what I weighed at 19 (26 years ago). I think bone shape can change a bit and possibly expand and/or shrink as you get older. :shock:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

CM wrote:I have a different view. My hat size has gone up 2 sizes since I was 19. I am still very close to what I weighed at 19 (26 years ago). I think bone shape can change a bit and possibly expand and/or shrink as you get older. :shock:
Actually, iirc, skull shape can be affected by things as little as what side of your head you sleep on. It's been a while since I heard that though, so don't quote me. -M
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

From the age I was 18 I wore a size 7 1/8 and I still wear that today and I'm 30. I recally it being big on me but just a little (bcak then I didn't knwo the padding technique) I'd say you'd be fine but it might be prudent to follow the 1/8 advice if you insist on getting a custom.

Personally, at that age, I'd get a machine made very good close enough Akubra or so that doesn't cost near as much as a custom just in case. Then once you KNOW you're doine growin (which in theory is 20 or so for guys) then I'd look into an expensive custom job.

And keep in mind the wasitline advice. Eat healthy now!!! lol.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

backstagejack wrote:And keep in mind the wasitline advice. Eat healthy now!!! lol.
Listen to the man. It can, and will, affect your jacket purchases in the future..... I'm living proof....... #-o ;)

Regards! Michaelson
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

My custom penman is on order so now I'm just waiting. This will be a late christmas gift.
I will definitively follow the waistline advice. I plan on joining the Air Force next year for college money, so hopefully that will put me on a track of good exercise.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

The size of my head hasn't changed in 35 years. The amount of my hair has changed. But all along I've been wearing the same size hat.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I was 17 when I got my first Adventurebilt. I'm now 22 and the hat still fits like a charm :TOH: