3.5 foot mini Bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

nammann
Vendor

3.5 foot mini Bullwhip

Post by nammann »

Hi All,

Its been awhile since I had posted anything on here so here goes.

This is a 3.5 foot (mini) Bullwhip I recently finished, The construction of this whip is a 6 inch steel nail foundation, roohide wear leather, roohide core, 4 plait roohide belly, kiphide bolster, 2nd 4 plait roohide belly, 2nd kiphide bolster and 8 plait roohide overlay with a 7 part 6 bight turkshead heel knot and 5 part 4 bight turkshead transition knot. Im sure the owner is going to be very pleased with this one. Not really Indy style but it has a hint of an Indy whip. Maybe? Ok here are some pics.

p.s. sorry if the photos are a little blurry, I didnt have the right lighting set up.

Take care,

Nick

kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: 3.5 foot mini Bullwhip

Post by kwad »

Very nice!
Is it 8plt from butt to point with no dropped strands?
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Looks awesome, the only thing I don't like is the strand or strands in the buttknot. It looks weird. Why have you used wider and narrower strand?
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

tomek9210 wrote:Looks awesome, the only thing I don't like is the strand or strands in the buttknot. It looks weird. Why have you used wider and narrower strand?
it does look kinda funny...
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Hi all,

The reason for this is that the customer wanted the knot this way. It is meant to be a one pass knot with a wide strand and a thin strand that runs next to it. I have done a few knots this way on other whips usually the thin strand is another color but on this it's the same color. If you check out my website you will see in the photo gallery some other whips that I have made with this style knot. http://www.Chlwhips.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is sorta a signature one pass knot with a thin strand that looks like a zig zag or thunder bolt. Hope this clears this question up. Thanks for the post.

Take care,

nick
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Actually if you look at my avatar pic you will see what another one looks like with the different color knot. Ok thanks again
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Thanks kwad,

yes this is an 8 plait whip from heel to tip.

Take care,

nick
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Ok I see what your talking about, it does look weird? :-k I'm not sure why it looks that way in the photo. Kinda wish I had the whip to take a better photo. In the one section it looks like there are 3 little strands. So much for that photography class I took! Oh well. It looks better in person.
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

nammann wrote:Ok I see what your talking about, it does look weird? :-k I'm not sure why it looks that way in the photo. Kinda wish I had the whip to take a better photo. In the one section it looks like there are 3 little strands. So much for that photography class I took! Oh well. It looks better in person.
Did you give it a test crack? How does it crack? I've kind of wondered about these really short whips like this.
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Hi Riku1914,

yes, all whips get tested before being shipped out. I like what these smaller whips feel Like, much quicker to use. I prefer any whip 6 feet and under since that's all I use. I have a couple whips from other whipmakers that are 8 and 10 feet but I never cared for how they handle compared to 6ft and under. I'd rather have a shorter faster whip. I mostly only concentrate on making good targeting whips for speed and fast 2 handed routines. I made myself a 3.5 foot whip so I can still crack inside in small areas since I live where there is alot of snow in the winter time and that way i don't end up smacking a larger whip off the walls. These mini whips roll out nice and smooth just like a longer whip just alot faster. I think their a good whip to own, good for indoor and outdoor use. I would have loved to have kept this one but I don't need anymore laying around. I like Australian stockwhips because of all the routines you can do with them, plus their easier to make and use less material.

Take care,

nick
Take care,

nick
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

nammann wrote:Hi Riku1914,

yes, all whips get tested before being shipped out. I like what these smaller whips feel Like, much quicker to use. I prefer any whip 6 feet and under since that's all I use. I have a couple whips from other whipmakers that are 8 and 10 feet but I never cared for how they handle compared to 6ft and under. I'd rather have a shorter faster whip. I mostly only concentrate on making good targeting whips for speed and fast 2 handed routines. I made myself a 3.5 foot whip so I can still crack inside in small areas since I live where there is alot of snow in the winter time and that way i don't end up smacking a larger whip off the walls. These mini whips roll out nice and smooth just like a longer whip just alot faster. I think their a good whip to own, good for indoor and outdoor use. I would have loved to have kept this one but I don't need anymore laying around. I like Australian stockwhips because of all the routines you can do with them, plus their easier to make and use less material.

Take care,

nick
Take care,

nick
Just thought I'd let you know that Adam Winrich has said it's fine to crack leather whips in the snow, as long as the temperature

is below freezing, the snow won't melt on the whip, and the whip won't be damaged, you just wipe it down before you take it

in. I was surprised to hear this but since you mentioned the snow thing in your area I thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

:TOH:
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Ive cracked whips in the snow and they have been ok but where I live we get the lake effect and with that and the wind chill we get into the negative degrees and it's waaaaay too cold to want to go outside and crack them. Burrrrr!
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

nammann wrote:Ive cracked whips in the snow and they have been ok but where I live we get the lake effect and with that and the wind chill we get into the negative degrees and it's waaaaay too cold to want to go outside and crack them. Burrrrr!
:lol: I understand then
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

That's a great looking little bullwhip Nick, nice job :TOH:
Jim
nammann
Vendor

Post by nammann »

Thanks Jim I appreciate it.

Take care,

Nick
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I hadn't noticed it before, but, I kinda like the mismatched strands in the knot.
Gives it character. :tup:
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Beautiful!