Reshaping the Downtowner

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Reshaping the Downtowner

Post by MS Jones »

Ok, so the other day I posted my first thread about some "creases" or wrinkles that I had noticed when doing a dry reshape of my Coyle's Downtowner. While I still haven't figured out what caused this, I have decided to do something about the shape of the hat. With room-temp clean water I have misted (heavily) the crown and brim, opened the crown and have laid the hat on the brim on the kitchen counter. I placed double stacks of paperbacks around the brim and worked the "factory" pinch and dent out of the crown. I then allowed it to dry, only to start this same process over again. I realize that the hat may shrink a little, which is ok since its a 61 and I wear a 60. That was a mistake on my part on the order form. Anyway, I am going to try and get some pics up, so everyone can watch as I either succeed or fail trying to make a soft, quality fedora out of this rather stiff hat. Don't get me wrong, its a great hat, but not to my taste as it was out of the box. Stay tuned. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Reshaping the Downtowner

Post by MS Jones »

Ok, so here is the pic showing how I'm doing this.

There is nothing INSIDE the hat, which is the only thing that bothers me. Here is a pic of the hat with the books removed.

And here is a picture showing the nicely flattened brim that I have now.

So.... Comments?? How bad am I screwing up?
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

I've never used that method but it seems to be working ok. I boil some water in a teapot and use the steam to shape the hat, this has always worked nice for me.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Shape wise you're not messing up. though I am quite curious where you would want to go with the brim shape now you made it that flat.

I do want to tell you that making a hat that has as much stiffener in it into a soft hat is nigh impossible :( If you get it soft only some steam or some rain will re-activate the stiffener making it stiff again.

Also, when a hat shrinks it mostly tapers (turning from this : | | into this: / \.) This is due to the conical shape that hat-bodies have before blocking it into shape.

Regards, Geert
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Reshaping the Downtowner

Post by Jedirun »

It doesn't look bad, it looks pretty similar to how my Fed III looked when I got it. I would strongly recommend watching John Penman's videos on shaping a hat for the next step. His methods worked well for me.

:TOH: Dr. Jones
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Ok so here's an update for this morning. Here is a pic of the hat bashed and setting flat on my kitchen counter.

And here's two of the lid on my ugly nogin. Thanks to my wife for taking the pictures. Lucky for me, ugly really won't break a camera. ;)

MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

I really wish that I had taken some "before" pictures of the hat, showing its shape and stiffness. I'm pretty sure that most of you know what the downtowner looks like, though. I did pick up a SMALL amount of taper but not much, and the hat fits better now.
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Reshaping the Downtowner

Post by Jedirun »

That looks pretty good. Is it still soft?

---
- :TOH: Dr. Jones
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Not bad at all, especially considering the challenging "subject."
MyQuest
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by MyQuest »

Mmmm...not too bad considering. I thought the crown might taper a little more than that. Looks like you were able to get the brim to curl up again to.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Jedirun wrote:That looks pretty good. Is it still soft?

---
- :TOH: Dr. Jones
Yeah, its considerably softer than it was. And it will now sit flat and the brim goes right back to the way you see it when placed on the head. All in all I'm pleased with the outcome. Next project will be a reblock of a black 5x beaver cowboy hat that I have.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Here's my lid after a full day of tweaking and shaping. I think,this is a really good picture. This was taken under the blue-white light of my phone camera flash.

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Looks great! Very nice work!
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Is it just me, or is the right side of the brim (left in the above photo) not cut the same as the left?
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Might just be the lighting. I wish I had gotten one of these hats, can't seem to get my size now. I had the same idea about reshaping. I really like what you did with the camel humps and the indents.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Might just be the lighting. I wish I had gotten one of these hats, can't seem to get my size now. I had the same idea about reshaping. I really like what you did with the camel humps and the indents.
Thanks for the props. I think it's a great hat. It's not an Akubra, Penman, or AB, but it's a nice hat. The reshape went great, and so far the hat is still soft. It reacts like the aforementioned hats as far as shape and softness. The idea was to wind up with a LC look, and I think that I have accomplished that.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

An improvement for sure, but to be completely honest, I don't think the blockshape is optimal for an LC hat, looks more TOD.
MS Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MS Jones »

So are you thinking a more flat top block for LC?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk