my Christy's adventurer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

my Christy's adventurer

Post by andy86i »

I am thinking of selling mine, I have a small baby-face so I look kinda funny in it.

I took it with me this year to Mexico (four months, a big adventure). plenty of dust there, went around the country where it still looks like you could be in a western.

It got it nice and dusty, just like the "streets of cairo" hat.

size 58cm (same as Harrison Ford) :TOH:

any Interest?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: my Christy's adventurer

Post by gwyddion »

Is it just me or have the Christy's recently developed a rather tall crown? :-k Strange, because they have never seemed too high to me before, but yours looks to be and nihil had the same problem. what's going on? :?

I bet that when you get a hat that has a more accurate crown height it wouldn't look funny on you at all ;) You might look a bit young-ish in the face, but I don't think you look too young to wear a fedora at all.

Regards, Geert
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

andy86i wrote:Image
I like this photo. Nice hat! It shows me you did something interesting and adventurous with your life, and that dusty hat is a momento of the adventure you just had. Character marks.

Sure you want to get rid of it? :-k
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

andy86i I don't think that hat looks funny on you at all in fact I'd say your head shape seems to work well with this style hat. In the top picture it does seem to have a taller appearance but it looks pretty good in the lower one so I'm wondering if it's not an effect of having the hat canted back a bit. In any event I've seen plenty of people being worn by their fedoras but you ain't one of them. If I were you I'd hold on to it unless you really have a need to get rid of it.
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Looks great on you man. You just need to get used to the tall look.

I actually bought Nihil's Christy's fedora, he's also from Denmark and I've always wanted to try a Christy's. I've got an AB, a Magnoli, a Peters Bros, and a Downtowner and until recently a Fed IV. I have to try em' all :D

Anyway here's a few pics of me wearing it. I just quickly bashed a SoC style. I don't think it's overly tall at all, and my face is not especially long either. It's a really great hat, soft and floppy. It does however have a tendancy to taper a bit, so you'll have to work abit with the bash to avoid that.

What do you think?
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Wow! It looks really great on you :)

Just out of curiosity, what does the crown measure at the front, with the current bash?
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Thanks :) - hope you havn't changed your mind cause I'm starting to really love this hat ;)

It's just about 11.5 cm with this bash.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Really? I got slightly less than 13cm with the way I did it.
Can you take a photo from the side and show me where you are measuring it, and perhaps a few closeups of the bash? It begins to sound like I did something wrong :o
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Sure, here you go: http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/K ... 100613.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had to post it on Photobucket it's too big to post here.
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

It's a great hat, and i woudent part with it for nothing.. I'm just wondering if there will be many buyers looking for a film accurate indy hat on ebay, if it will get enough attention there.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

It probably would, but unless you're strapped for cash my advice would be: don't do it. Just try to re-bash it a little lower, using Bendingoak's (John Penman from Penman Hats) tutorial at the top of this forum, and you'll have yourself a keeper ;) You have a face that could easily pull off wearing a fedora and making it look good, but the crown is just a bit too high right now on your hat IMO. Luckily that's an easy one to fix ;)

Regards, Geert
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I think it also has to do with how the hat is bashed. That's why it looks tall.
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

How do I rebash? it got a bit wet on the beach at acapulco and got a little squashed in my suitcase both ways.. does it need to get wet or something?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Just watch this video made by John Penman (Bendingoak on here) of Penman hats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJKQVCgeZ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:

Regards, Geert
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

yes, thats what i used to bash mine with when i got mine ;)

but its quite set in to its shape now and just automatically reverts to is current shape now :-k
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

you're probably gonna have to wet it a bit... distilled water in a spray bottle should work. Pop-out the creases first then spray the hat, just don't go overboard with "wetting" it.
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

here are some pictures of the hat by itself.

and Tundrarider, you are right, there are a couple of pictures taken by others where it appears better:

andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

gwyddion when i saw your hat i noticed how "helmet like" it looked. I just wet mine and re bashed it, the crown is now "fleshier". ill get some pics up when its dried..
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Helmet like? :lol: I don't know what you mean by that, but OK. If you mean the reverse taper it has, that's due to it having been reblocked on a block intended for pure beaver felt hats while being a beaver rabbit blend. :TOH:

Regards, Geert
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Hey I just noticed something while watching the new pictures you posted (especially the one with you a bit away from the camera). I think that what I was seeing in your hat as being too much height was caused by the side dents being pushed way back, making it look narrower. The picture in front of that church was taken before the hat was squashed to the shape it was in those last pics, right? Because it definitely looks good on you there :TOH:
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

yeah, that side dent on the left had gone in too far. It's looking a lot better now.
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

here is the rebash. It's very hard to represent in pictures.. the light never quite looks as good. :|
sofianeomari
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by sofianeomari »

My christy's adventurer :

fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Ummmm... there is something definitely wrong with how you're bashing it. Try fixing the side dents. It looks like you've pushed it in too far back and a little too low.

Also, why is the back of the crown pushed in?

Either that, or you wet the hat too much and it's tapered. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Bashed height should be about 4 1/2". Also the width of the brim-as it is- may be at work to create a different look than we are accustomed to. Brim dimensions vary, based on shape of the face, etc., but the hero fedora was apparently 2 3/4" front to back and 2 1/2 to 2 5/8" from side to side. Take that into consideration as well.

Push out all the dents and bash to return the hat to open crown. Place the hat on a table or flat surface, brim down (like you would wear it). Take a ruler and and bash the crown, front to back-to about 4 1/2" in crown height, measuring from the brim break. Next, put the front pinches in-with thumb and index finger, and make the vertical pinch as straight as possible. Massage to desired look.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

[quote="andy86i"]Image

I'm no expert, but I like the height of the hat in this photo. To me it seems like you're wearing it kinda high on your head. I find that what's comfortable for me puts the hat just a hair off the top of my ears - probably a matter of personal taste ,inability to still grow hair and head shape, though.

LJ
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

i had another look at the fedora section on indy gear.. I noticed the side dents were more forward, so I have made another attempt.

photos to follow..
andy86i
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by andy86i »

not so sure about it. I am a perfectionist, and I'll never be happy with it becuase it will never be the same as in the film exactly. so I'd prefer to just sell it.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

Yeah, it looks like it is tapered to me. I've never owned one, but I have heard that the Christy's hats taper something awful if they get wet. I think they are mostly geared toward display and/or costume. You look like you take your hat places that a Christy's would not do well. Don't know what your price range is, but I've heard from many members that the Akubra Fed 4 Deluxe is a great starting point and is an incredible hat for the price. Check out the the threads.

Matt
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Yup it is tapered. It's very obvious on the latest pics.

How long have you had the hat? Has it ever been soaked to the core? Or placed near a heat source for prolonged periods of time?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Good thing is you got the side dents to sit where they should, so you now know how to bash a raiders hat. The bad thing? Well, your Christy's has unfortunately tapered from moisture exposure and/or heat :cry: It is a common problem with these hats and IIRC due to the dry blocking technique they use to make these :cry:

I do stick to my comment that you don't look goofy wearing a hat though, not at all! If you decide to buy a new hat in the future I'd recommend ordering the Fed IV: it is only $10 more expensive at the moment and, according to people who own them, not as prone to taper :TOH:

Regards, Geert