My new EM-1 Carbine

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My new EM-1 Carbine

Post by Mark Brody »

Well, we all know Indy used an M1 Carbine in KotCS, right? I mean, it's the only gun he used in the movie that he actually fired (in a roundabout sort of way).

Well, as it turns out, Germany adopted the M1 after WWII, and they had a bunch of .22 cal versions made for training (as it was cheaper to produce and use then the .30 cal version). Unfortunately, they stopped making these about 20 years ago, but I got my hands on one \:D/

It balances just in front of the magazine, so I needed a counterweight to set it up for these pictures. A familiar Zippo lighter in the slot in the stock for the sling (say that three times fast) was just the trick!
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My new EM-1 Carbine

Post by RaidersBash »

That's really neat!!!

Have you seen the after-market stocks for the Ruger 10/22 to make it look like the M1 Carbine? Those are pretty nifty too (without the kewl history of yours though).

Sportsman's Guide has them for anyone who might be interested: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1 ... x?a=704923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This isn't a great picture, but the quickest I could find (the sportsman's guide pic is better i think, but it wouldn't let me copy it)

Imagepicture taken from http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

SORRY I really didn't mean to hijack your thread by the way. [-o<
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Not hijacking at all! I have seen those, and I've also seen people modify it to look like a Thompson! If only the barrel was longer, I'm sure you'd see Garands too.

I first saw the .22 M1 Carbine at Cabela's and thought "Oh, that's cool" and moved on, not knowing what a rare commodity it was. I thought about it some more and called back, but it had already sold. I was now on the Carbine hunt! I looked around online, and kept finding the 10/22s, but I'm so nitpicky and old fashioned that I wouldn't settle for anything but the "original". I even considered saving up for the .30 cal, but then I'd be paying two to four times as much for the rifle, and 40 times as much for the ammo! I already have weapons that cost a lot to shoot - I like the economics of the .22 more. Fortunately, my hunt only lasted a week before I found another. It's complete, and in pretty good shape, but it'll need a bit of cleaning.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

WOW! I haven't seen the Thompson before...that's sick and looks like A LOT of fun! Where did you find that? :TOH:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Well, as I was looking for the EM1, the 10/22 kept popping up as a search result. I investigated to see if that was what I was looking for, and probably about 1 out of 50 results was the 10/22 Tommy Gun. I must admit, it's pretty tempting, but as I already have my .22, it'd be redundant in my collection. Even a real Thompson without being fully automatic ($$$) is nothing more than a long pistol.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I've always been partial to the Garand, but when I picked up a Carbine for the first time (even the .30 cal version) it's so small and lightweight than it'd make a great rifle to have by your side in combat or just target shooting. The small caliber makes it ideal for the range. Burn off, literally, hundreds of shots without burning all your money!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

_ wrote:
Mark Brody wrote: But I love shooting skeet. Shooting is such a relaxing hobby.
It must be. I just read an article about Shia Le Beouf shooting with Steven Spielberg and he said the same thing. Seems like more fun than say, tennis...

Article is here:
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/ent ... 94209.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

_ wrote:
Mark Brody wrote:I've always been partial to the Garand, but when I picked up a Carbine for the first time (even the .30 cal version) it's so small and lightweight than it'd make a great rifle to have by your side in combat or just target shooting. The small caliber makes it ideal for the range. Burn off, literally, hundreds of shots without burning all your money!
Agreed on the Garand. It's my number 3.
Agreed. The Garand is in my Top 3 as well. I think the design/engineering are absolutely gorgeous. Garand, M1A (Korean War Era), and the Ak-47 round out the top 3 in no particular order. And the AR-15/M4 is in the top list too. I think they are all Art worthy to hang on a wall! :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

_ wrote:It's beautiful and I think elegant. Jmo...
I'm not sure I would agree with you that the AK is elegant, but it is one astonishing piece of engineering…

Best
MARK
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the M1. It's a nice looking piece, but anemic round, and EXTREMELY loud in report. Not all that accurate either.

It was a HUGE improvement over the Garand in terms of touting around in combat conditions, and perfect for close encounter situations, but other than that, extremely short on horsepower. That .30 cal. round was rediculous when compared to the .30-06 round in the Garand it was supposed to replace in the field.

Regards! Michaelson
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I just fired a (semi-auto) folding stock short barrel AK (yes, this is legally owned by an appropriate entity) and was pretty amazed with how it was put together. Absolutely cruddy construction, but very rugged and easy to use.

To the OP, why did you see out a 22 cal version? Was the screen used gun 22 cal? Or you just wanted it because it was rarer or used cheaper ammo?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The .22 route would be my choice too if I were looking for one.

.30 carbine ammo ain't cheap and only chambers in this particular weapon.

Regards! Michaelson
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

KramStaar wrote:
_ wrote:It's beautiful and I think elegant. Jmo...
I'm not sure I would agree with you that the AK is elegant, but it is one astonishing piece of engineering…

Best
MARK
I'd say the AK is at least "ruggedly handsome" :M:
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Very nice pickup, Brody! :clap: I definetly wouldn't mind the .22 version - sure would be easier on my pocketbook.
RaidersBash wrote:WOW! I haven't seen the Thompson before...that's sick and looks like A LOT of fun! Where did you find that? :TOH:
http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

The one in the movie was a .30 cal version, but like Michaelson said, the .22 is cheaper to shoot and I fully intend on taking this to the range several times. As I said earlier, I have other much higher caliber firearms if I have the desire to bruise my shoulder, but I wasn't exaggerating when I said that ammo costs 40 times as much as .22lr!

Every time I've seen the M-1A, I've always mistaken it for the M-14. It's debatable which rifle the M-1A has more in common with. All the same, I like the original WWII M-1.
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

Michaelson wrote:The .22 route would be my choice too if I were looking for one.

.30 carbine ammo ain't cheap and only chambers in this particular weapon.

Regards! Michaelson
I have seen older Ruger Blackhawk revolvers (prob. 60's or 70's vintage) chambered for .30 Carbine. A fellow once brought one for fun to a Cowboy action shoot I was in and it has a pretty fierce muzzle blast. It always seemed like a great 2 gun set idea though (like the Wincester lever gun and Colt revolver in the same caliber of the Old West). Alas, cheap suplus .30 Carbine ammo is long gone.
Supposedly there were AMT Automag handguns (Model III I think) in .30 Carbine. Pictures of it looked like a smaller version of the .44 magnum automag. But, I have never seen or fired one of them in person.

Regards,
Rambler
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I remember those Blawkhawk's very well.

When I was a member of the Ohio Gun Collectors back in the 80's, you used to see them for sale in almost every booth in Columbus.

I haven't laid eyes on one in decades.

Though an interesting gun, no one could really come up with a good reason of owning one, as they really weren't all that great a shooter, and there were just too many other 'regular' chambered Blawkhawks .(.357) out there to make the .30 cal. of any use at all.

Anyone remember the .41 mag in the Blawkhawk? Nice shooting/recoiling gun, but once again, it just didn't make any sense in the shooters arsonal, other than an interesting collector piece. I had one once, shot it a few times, and traded it off in fairly short order for another .357 Blawkhawk.

Regards! Michaelson
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Local indoor range had a .22 Carbine for sale a few weeks back. Was in poor shape and didn't appear to be matching parts, but cool looking none the less. Garand would be my first choice to own, followed by a BAR. Have a friend who has an excellent condition Garand that I have shot several times, you should see the looks of the others at the range when you unload 8 shots followed by that distinctive "ping". :D

Not sure lugging one around would be so appealling, Carbine would be better suited for sure.

Sure miss my Colt Python. :cry:

Regards,

Soup
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Garands are awesome rifles. I enjoy shooting them when an opportunity presents itself.....as are Colt Pythons. :TOH:

They are/were tempermental in terms of timing at times, but when they're timed right, they're tack drivers! A real pleasure to shoot.

Regards! Michaelson
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Michaelson wrote:Garands are awesome rifles. I enjoy shooting them when an opportunity presents itself.....as are Colt Pythons. :TOH:

They are/were tempermental in terms of timing at times, but when they're timed right, they're tack drivers! A real pleasure to shoot.

Regards! Michaelson
You know, now that you mention it, I do remember the timing was off when I first got it, had a local gunsmith work to improve it. Loved to shoot it, mine was 6" barrel. Unfortunately, due to my impending marriage at the time, the need for extra money became more important. :D

Have gotten back into firearms due to the interest my son has, great to be able to teach him proper respect and safety while both of us having a great time. :TOH:

Regards,

Soup