Quick way to break in your Aldens?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

darkhelmet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Quick way to break in your Aldens?

Post by darkhelmet »

Love em, but I have really flat feet and the Aldens start to really hurt near my inside ankles. Not a fault of Aldens..but my lousy genes.

I wear them anytime I can, but after a couple of hours, I've got to take them off. I am really close to soaking them in water, like I used to do with my combat boots in the Army, but I had the luxury of wearing those 13 hours a day so obviously it didn't take long.

Any other ideas for a quicker break in method?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Quick way to break in your Aldens?

Post by Indyzane »

Your doing the right thing wearing them as much as you can. Maybe try wearing them around the house while reading or watching TV? Mine also were really stiff as well and couldn't stand them for long periods. I just kept on wearing them, now there like a pair of Air Jordans! I love them! Maybe try new thinner socks? 100% cotton? Maybe a little shoe cream might help loosen them as well? Please proceed with extreme caution if doing so! Test inside boot to see if any color change happens. This might help loosen the leather fibers. Good luck just keep wearing them!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Alden's are 'old school' when it comes to shoe making.

Back in the day, we always looked forward to getting our annual pair of leather 'dress/winter' leather shoes....but agonized over the break in period. Thing is, once you get OVER that hump, they always became the most comfortable shoes we owned....next to our Red Ball Jet tennis shoes. ;)

Hang in there. You'll get there.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Yeah, there are stiff in the beginning. You might use some Pecard or other leather lotion. This will definitely help in the break in process. But once you wear them enough, they are very comfprtable and mold to your feet. There is hope on the other side. ;)
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

I am surprised to hear that they cause you discomfort and sorry to hear this. I've had my Aldens since 2007 and have been wearing all the time. They were a little stiff in the ankle area at first, but after a week of wearing they became very comfortable. I'd say give it a solid week and you won't consider wearing any other boot or shoe.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Isn't there a product that you put inside shoes that resemble a foot? Shoe stretchers? Am I making up the name or is that what they're really called? Hehe.

Anyway, maybe that can help? I know there are some that are adjustable and are made of wood.

* edit *

I just realized that it may be difficult to find one of these for boots.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

You might try varying how high you do up the laces on the boot-top. With all 4 hooks done up you get a lot of support but not so much flex. I think I recall reading that Ford only did up the first 2.

LJ
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

As with stiff leather gloves, jacket and Aldens, it just takes time and wear. Some Dr. Sholls inserts are not expensive and will last until the next time.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

The more you wear them, the better they'll wear. I wore my Corcoran boots in the rain and tall grass and let them dry naturally. A friend of mine who was in the Navy knew people who used to shower with their new boots.
darkhelmet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by darkhelmet »

They are getting better. The ankle area is finally loosening up.
Indiana Tones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Tones »

My wife told me that when she went through Coast Guard basic, the DI made them get into the shower fully clothed at 0500 to soak their boots for break in.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

darkhelmet wrote:They are getting better. The ankle area is finally loosening up.
Glad to hear this! Just keep on wearing them. :whip: