Jacket decision- thoughts?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Jacket decision- thoughts?

Post by gmarthe »

I have 1 jacket (a US Wings Signature in cow) and finally have enough spare(?) money to purchase another jacket. I love them all. I'd like a jacket that I could wear more than a few months (I live in Florida) and I'm not going to distress it -I just don't want to baby it (if I get caught in rain or whatever - so be it). I was initially going for a Wested Last crusade but decided that would be a custom job. I want to go OTR. I thought I had made up my mind with a US Wings Lambskin Hero (remembering to size down this time for a better fit) but did some more reading (can you ever stop the flow of information here?) and was not thinking of a Wested special offer or goat. Ahhhh. Would any of the multiple jacket owners help me a little here?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Jacket decision- thoughts?

Post by Indyzane »

IMO buy a Todd's Indy jacket. I own all the brands and my favorite is Todd's and well my Nowak jackets. But for $149.00 or now for $79.00 & $99.00 you won't be disappointed. Then again, that's my opinion. :-k
West
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by West »

Hey Zane,

Just wondering but...
What makes those your favorites? Why'd you list the Todd above the Nowak?

Thanks!
West
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Well thats a good question West! Let me try to explain, My Nowak jackets are my favorite but I really don't wear them out of the fact that they are irreplaceable. 

Gmarthe stated that he wanted a jacket that he could wear all the time. Todd's standard is perfect for the reason that it's so light weight for Florida and just feels like the Raiders jacket once it's slipped on to me. But remember this is my opinion, every single member here will tell you what their favorite jacket is, trust me.  Also Todd's is only $149.00, dude that's incredible for the money!  
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

I was looking into the Bantu Wind Todd's (for $99 how could I go wrong?) but they are only large and larger. I wave been camped out in that thread waiting for pics, hoping they show a smaller fit- but there haven't been many. I have read plusses and minuses about ALL the vendors. Todd's big minus would be that I guess I am worried most about it's durability. Like I said I won't be distressing it but I don't want to have to worry about it when I put it on and walk out the door.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have one of todds ultra light lamsbkin jacket. And that jacket is THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN but it is extremely strong. you will be suprised. mine is 4 years old now and I have no worries about it at all. I have done hiking, mountainclimbing, tree climbing, I fell on the asfalt etc,etc and it is just as strong.. and the bantu jacket is a heavier and stronger skin so I have no worries what so ever. :TOH:
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

In full agreement with Holt....

The jacket I posted on the "Bantu Wind" thread isn't especially "weak" feeling....It's at least comparable to the Wested Lambskin in toughness...I'd be more than sure that it would stand up to most "daily" type of activities, albeit perhaps not "truck-dragging" or "horse-falling"....Depends on your measure I guess! ;)

Thick enough to cover most all casual wear and most rugged usage...I'd guess...I haven't trekked in it yet, but I can't see a couple of falls in a forest doing so much to this...I wouldn't worry about that if the size is okay for you...

Regards.. :)
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

I'm a 40R so the Bantu Wind is definitely out for me. Wish Todd had a jacket with a little thicker hide that wasn't custom. So, Holt, since I know you have more jackets than Lucasfilm - which would you say is the best bet for lightweight but durable?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I already answered that in the pm you sent me last week :TOH:

soft goat from wested. lightweight and durable.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Well to be fair, it was almost 3 weeks ago. ;) That was when I was going for a custom job. And you said "waxy soft cowhide" for the look and goat for the weather. I decided if I do a LC jacket I would like a Waxy Soft cowhide custom - on your recommendation :TOH: (but of course they probably won't have the hide when I get around to saving up for it). I am now asking for lightweight durable options. I'm not going to distress it (maybe some water if I don't get caught in a few rainstorms sometime soon).
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

true :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Usually the words 'lightweight' and 'durable' are rarely used in the same sentence....unless you're discussing kangaroo hide. ;)

I lived and worked in Tallahassee for over 3 years back in the 80's, and wore a cowhide A-2 with the knit cuffs removed (this was before the internet was readily available and we had very many choices of jackets), and survived the heat and humidity as best I could.

If had to do it all over again and it had been available, I'd have gone with a calfskin custom from Todd's myself.

I had one once that I passed on to another individual when it got a bit, uh, snug around the mid-section. :[

That said, it was the perfect weight (equal to any lambskin I'd ever owned), and yet cowhide tough.

If you can get your hands on one made of that material, I think you'd be more than happy, especially living in Florida.

It is one of the very few hides I can honestly say that 'lightweight' and 'durable' do indeed belong in the same sentence.

Otherwise, look at lambskin. Even goatskin will get limited wear in your great State of Florida, even if due to nothing but the humidity. :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The thing that sort of lept out at me about your situation was Florida--->light weight. So humid it will melt your face off! :P Believe it or not, you have several different options, as M pointed out. I'd add to that by saying that it is possible to have a very light weight lamb jacket (like 2 pounds), upon special request from Magnoli or Wested, but these would be custom. Another option is what IndyZane pointed out. If these new Bantu Wind jackets are any indicator as to what the new jacket will be like, in terms of type and texture of the skin, ie more grain (character), and thicker hide than the Standards of old, I'd strongly suggest a new Todd's Std. when the new run arrives, IF you did not want to go custom?

Goatskin, thicker and stronger, also relatively light weight. Mags makes one heck of a fine Indy jacket in goatskin, as per his leather taylor. Another option is the Wested Hero pattern.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

This go-round I'm thinking off the rack. I'm pretty much a 40R to a tee (and if I went with a "medium" from somewhere I could try to shrink it a little if it was baggy). I'd love to get a Magnoli (out of my price range , unfortunately) and I really want a custom Wested LC in Waxy cow- but it's just a little out of my budget right now and the thought of all the possible customizations just is more than I want to think about at the moment. I was basically down to choosing between a US wings Hero Lamb, a Todd's Lamb (didn't see calf anywhere on the site) and an OTR Wested Raiders lamb. It's basically down to those 3 unless someone can come up with a better alternative. :-k
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:Usually the words 'lightweight' and 'durable' are rarely used in the same sentence....unless you're discussing kangaroo hide. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Maybe... my kangaroo jacket is light and strong, but my goat jackets are lighter, and just as strong. In warm or humid regions leather is not your friend, no matter what beast. In summer I wear a Dikies cotton/poly unlined utility jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Understood, but the tensile strength of 'roo far exceeds goatskin in the industry, though it's a moot point here. ;)

Personally, I reach for my cotton drill Wested Raiders jacket if I need something in warm weather.

As has been said above, leather ain't for hot, humid weather, no matter WHAT the hide.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If it were died correctly, I think it would be cool to have a light to light-mid weight kangaroo jacket. The way the Aussies regard the roo, it shouldn't be an expensive pelt, yet it depends on where it was made.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Texan Scott wrote:....If these new Bantu Wind jackets are any indicator as to what the new jacket will be like, in terms of type and texture of the skin, ie more grain (character), and thicker hide than the Standards of old, I'd strongly suggest a new Todd's Std. when the new run arrives.....
Unfortunately, when asked on another forum if he will be using this leather on the next batch of standards, Todd said probably not.
Hopefully, he changes his mind as it is an awesome leather.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

I PM'ed him and he said all he can say is they are working on it.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Texan Scott wrote:If it were died correctly, I think it would be cool to have a light to light-mid weight kangaroo jacket. The way the Aussies regard the roo, it shouldn't be an expensive pelt, yet it depends on where it was made.
It's very hard to get good roo hide over here. 95% is exported to other lands. The jacket companies I've used over here charge more for roo than other leathers. My roo jackets weigh much more than lamb and are about the same as 3 oz cow. it isn;tthat lgith weight. It's just that a 4.5 pound roo jacket will be more resilient that a 6.5 pound cow jacket.