Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Re: here's my goatskin Wested Raiders

Post by tekors »

Texan Scott wrote:hi tekors,

It's your jacket and you deserve the fit that you want, but take a look at the Raiders jacket on the main page, second photo, with Ford double handed his whip. The original was slightly an off the shoulder jacket, but then again, you may not like the fit. If it is still wet, I'd be inclined to throw it in the dryer using the hot setting for say, 15-20 minutes? This would cause it to shrink slightly and also the sleeves might shrink to just the right length? Looks good on you, though. your call.

On the other hand, some jackets that I have been impressed with looked like a cross between a motorcycle jacket and an A-2, but that is a personal preference thing. This is an alternate style. Not entirely accurate to the movie; but I like the way your jacket is breaking in in these photos, all things considered. Enjoy!
Hey Texan,
I know Raiders is off the shoulder, but mine is too off the shoulder... I still want that Raiders look, but mine jacket needs some adjustements. My other lambskin jacket is off the shoulder also, the fit is not perfect, bt better than my new one. The real problem is the sides, toooo wide. This needs fixing, no doubt of that.
I am affraid about hot dryer... that might ruin my jacket. But will talk to Peter about this and see what he says...
As for the leather breaking in, that's the best part of the jacket. The skin is soooo nice.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just do what the rest of us seem to be doing as we age.....put on some weight. That jacket will fit you perfectly in no time. :-k

:[
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Michaelson wrote:Just do what the rest of us seem to be doing as we age.....put on some weight. That jacket will fit you perfectly in no time. :-k

:[
Hey, why I didn't think about this before ? :P
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Nothin to do with he topic but ehre is alink for those interested in see my trip to Benghazi, Libya... after 12 hours on the road from Cairo... we arrived there.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 768385d78d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards
teko
:TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I just looked through that Album... Amazing photos, my friend (LOVE that photo with the graffitti message about FREEDOM!).
Thank you for sharing these, Teko... and, as always, STAY SAFE.
:)
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Just remember to keep your asp from getting shot off. News reports seem confused this morning. Who's winning?

LJ
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Mitch LaRue wrote:I just looked through that Album... Amazing photos, my friend (LOVE that photo with the graffitti message about FREEDOM!).
Thank you for sharing these, Teko... and, as always, STAY SAFE.
Thanks Mitch,

It's so amazing to dicover a country that was so closed for more than 20 years..
And the Libyans... man, they are very very nice people, kind, polited and always helpful. :)
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Just remember to keep your asp from getting shot off. News reports seem confused this morning. Who's winning?

LJ
Well, the state television is saying that they took control oif some cities, but we were or are in this cities and it's all lies. The Revolutionaries took control of most Libya but it's not clear until when they can hold territory.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Hi guys,

Just got back from Libya, an incredible place with incredible people. But reporting form there was starting to become dangerous. So, our group decided to leave to Egypt... check the link I posted above with pics of libya.

When I left for Libya, my jacket was wet and I left it in a hanger to dry out. For my surprise today, it seems the jacket shrunk due to the combination of being wet and the room being subject to the sun all day...kinda the place became a dryer machine :P
Anyways...it seems the back and side panels shrunk, I will take a picture to see the difference but the fit is tighter now. :-k
If it works, won't be needing to send the jacket back for fixing.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

tekors wrote:Nothin to do with he topic but ehre is alink for those interested in see my trip to Benghazi, Libya... after 12 hours on the road from Cairo... we arrived there.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 768385d78d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards
teko
tekors,

Those are some amazing photos! I haven't heard of Benghazi, since reading about it when Rommel was engaged in that see-saw battle with the British. In WWII, it was a pivotal sea port for Rommel and his troops to be re-supplied by the Italians. His success or failure to hold the port and safe sea lanes depended upon it. After Reagan's raid on Khadafi in the 80's, though, you just didn't hear anything more out of him, nor Libya for that matter.

One question, any updates on what is happening in Jordan? We dig near the Dead Sea each year, and just wondered if it was still safe?
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Texan Scott wrote:
tekors wrote:Nothin to do with he topic but ehre is alink for those interested in see my trip to Benghazi, Libya... after 12 hours on the road from Cairo... we arrived there.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 768385d78d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards
teko
tekors,

Those are some amazing photos! I haven't heard of Benghazi, since reading about it when Rommel was engaged in that see-saw battle with the British. In WWII, it was a pivotal sea port for Rommel and his troops to be re-supplied by the Italians. His success or failure to hold the port and safe sea lanes depended upon it. After Reagan's raid on Khadafi in the 80's, though, you just didn't hear anything more out of him, nor Libya for that matter.

One question, any updates on what is happening in Jordan? We dig near the Dead Sea each year, and just wondered if it was still safe?
Yes, also since I left Cairo to reach benghazi, I passed also through Tobruk and El Alamein... two historical WWII battle sites between Rommel and Montgomery.
Jordan is ok, I have a friend living near de Dead Sea resorts... it's fine over there. PRotests in Jordan are not violent and not spread in the country.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

So, I went to the tailor to have the goatskin and lambskin measured:

Goatskin:
shoulder to shoulder: 21.5
shoulder: 7.5
side panel under armpit: 5.5
backpanel: 19

Lambskin:
shoulder to shoulder: 20.5
shoulder: 7.5
side panel under armpit: 5.5
backpanel: 16.5

my shoulders: 19.5

So, clearly the goatskin has a very wide backpanel, and surprisingly the panel under armpit is the same as the lambskin.
Regards
teko
Last edited by tekors on Wed May 04, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you have to keep in mind that they are comlpletely different patterns. the LC has a low yoke which makes the backpanel look slimmer and more straight. and the LC lamb was of the rack yes? there is a difference in sizes between of the racks from India and the jackets made in the wested house. there shouldn't be but there is.

another thing is that the armholes on the LC jacket are way bigger and go more down on the side panels making them more straight and not have excess leather under the armholes like the goat raiders has. again different patterns. LC / Raiders.

I would just let it be as it is. you never know how it will fit look afterwards. alittle extra room is good for layering. if you ask me I think it looks really good on you and the original raiders had a baggy look to it.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Indiana Holt wrote:you have to keep in mind that they are comlpletely different patterns. the LC has a low yoke which makes the backpanel look slimmer and more straight. and the LC lamb was of the rack yes? there is a difference in sizes between of the racks from India and the jackets made in the wested house. there shouldn't be but there is.

another thing is that the armholes on the LC jacket are way bigger and go more down on the side panels making them more straight and not have excess leather under the armholes like the goat raiders has. again different patterns. LC / Raiders.

I would just let it be as it is. you never know how it will fit look afterwards. alittle extra room is good for layering. if you ask me I think it looks really good on you and the original raiders had a baggy look to it.
Holt,
Yes, my LC Lamb is a rack. I really don't know. should I try putting the jacket all wet inside a hot dryer? If I do that, should I just leave the sleeves without wetting, so they would not shrink, because they have a nice length. Or maybe I just soak it in water and let it dry before trying the dryer.

I prefer a more straight fit than a baggy one. To be honest, I don't feel the Raiders goastskin is a baggy jacket, on the contrary, for my surprise my female friends told me I look slimmer in the goatskin than in the lambskin #-o .
I think the right word is that the Raiders is less straight than LC and TOD.
But my problem is the back of the jacket, I thought it looked too wide. As you said, the jacket needs time to comform, shrink, etc... so, better to wait then and give it some hard wear?

Sorry pal for so many questions :oops: .... I just wanna make the right decision. :-k
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

So, here's my jacket still wet. I think I was so used to the LC lambskin that I have to put in mind the goatskin is just different cut and skin. The goatskin is a better wear, because even being less straight than he LC, its fit is better, can't explain. Also, it has a darker brown than the other jacket.
I remember when I got the lambskin, it was large also, it took time to tighten and shrink to the right fit.
Holt is right, better to give time to the jacket to show what it got :D
The jacket is still wet, but here it is.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF7074.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tekors on Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Still a nice jacket, tekors. Hang in there with it! ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

"Holt was right"!!? I recommended that to you two weeks ago, if you'll recall?!!! #-o

:lol:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Michaelson wrote:"Holt was right"!!? I recommended that to you two weeks ago, if you'll recall?!!! #-o

Ops, sorry M. :oops:
I've been suffering from lack of memory, amnesia of the last 2 weeks :[ :[ uh, ok, bad excuse :CR:

You are right about you being right at the time!!!! :D

Am I forgiven? :anxious:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nothing to forgive! :lol: :TOH:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Texan Scott wrote:Still a nice jacket, tekors. Hang in there with it! ;)
I will Texan :H:
Let's see what this baby will become in the near future...
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Michaelson wrote:Nothing to forgive! :lol: :TOH:
Cheers M.
Thanks again for all your advices...

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Michaelson wrote:"Holt was right"!!? I recommended that to you two weeks ago, if you'll recall?!!! #-o

:rolling:

cracked me up. needed that my friend. :TOH:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

The jacket looks pretty good on you. I agree with everyone else and give it some time and wear. :TOH:

-Bdgsi11
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

This is a tiny bit Off Topic, but still... sometimes it's pausing to notice the little things that people enjoy:

Bdgsi11 that was your 100th Post with us... Congrats.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Mitch LaRue wrote:This is a tiny bit Off Topic, but still... sometimes it's pausing to notice the little things that people enjoy:

Bdgsi11 that was your 100th Post with us... Congrats.
:tup: :TOH:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Hey guys,

I just got back from my second trip from Libya, covering the war over there. I took my wested goatskin with me. I followed that tip of placing the jacket under the matress over night while I am sleeping over it. I did that for several days and wow :o , it really worked. The leather is now soft, pliable, it conformed to my body... and the colour is just beautiful, really dark brown. :D

And on my way out of the country (which would last 20 hours on the road to Cairo) the driver took the road through the Green Mountains and my coleagues and I had the unique chance to stop at one of the Greek ruins.
Cyrene was one of the three Greek settlements founded in 630 BC, and later a Roman city. It is amazing and very big site, I only could shoot a part of it. Because of Libya isolation during the 80's and 90's, these sites and others like Leptis Magna stayed preserved.

Hope you like both the jacket and Cyrene... :TOH:
cheers
teko
Last edited by tekors on Wed May 04, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by donovan »

both the jacket and the ruins are very impressive :)
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Very cool site Teko... The jacket always was too.. ;)

Great stuff... How are you finding it settling in now?

All the best, and it's good to see you staying out of the gunfire for a while too... If only a short reprieve! :TOH:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Thanks Donovan and FifthChamber,

The jacket feels so good now... too bad that is starting to get warmer here in beirut..soon I will have to put my Wested in a hanger until the next season... :|

Cyrene is very impressive indeed... hope one day will go back to Libya as a tourist just to explore these sites...

cheers
teko
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:clap:
GREAT photos, Teko!
Those ruins are an amazing sight to take in... must have really been something to see in person!

That jacket is looking :shock: on you (to my eyes, anyway)...
ALL the shots that show it look really good, but that THIRD one down (with your arms at your sides) looks spot on!
I'd swear that if I didn't know differently, I'd think that was a jacket you had made for you as the result of an in-person consultation and measuring session with a professional tailor.
Just PERFECT!
:notworthy:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Mitch LaRue wrote::clap:
GREAT photos, Teko!
Those ruins are an amazing sight to take in... must have really been something to see in person!

That jacket is looking :shock: on you (to my eyes, anyway)...
ALL the shots that show it look really good, but that THIRD one down (with your arms at your sides) looks spot on!
I'd swear that if I didn't know differently, I'd think that was a jacket you had made for you as the result of an in-person consultation and measuring session with a professional tailor.
Just PERFECT!
:notworthy:
Great words from Master Mitch La Rue :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thank you my friend... I am enjoying the jacket now, after that initial panicking and the leather stiffness... now is so nice and soft. This one will be the jacket of choice for the field... :whip:
Best
teko
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

awesome pictures and jacket. I do ot uderstand our worrie about it being to big here and there. it looks near perfect.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Indiana Holt wrote:awesome pictures and jacket. I do ot uderstand our worrie about it being to big here and there. it looks near perfect.
Thanks Holt..
Yeah, at first I was worried about being so wide, but after some wear now it is pliable and conformed to my body to the point my friends told me it fits differently from before. :)
I sandpapered only the edge of the sleeves and handwarmer pockets... then I applied brown shoe polish to take out that greyish undertone and now is kinda redish :)

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF7084.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tekors on Wed May 04, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

be very carefull with sandpaper. you do not want to damage the thread. that goes to any jacket out there. not only westeds. Magnoli, GB, USW. sewing thread is weak no matter how strong and thick it is when it comes to using sandpaper on the seams.

tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Indiana Holt wrote:be very carefull with sandpaper. you do not want to damage the thread. that goes to any jacket out there. not only westeds. Magnoli, GB, USW. sewing thread is weak no matter how strong and thick it is when it comes to using sandpaper on the seams.

Yeah, unlike the other lambskin I only sandpapered those spots in the pics.... that's enough for me... and I did it with care, paying attention not to ruin the seams/stitches...
Now it's only wear and natural distressing... :) :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

:TOH: :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I like what I'm seeing with the jacket, tekors. It looks like it is conforming to you more and it looks like you are growing more confident with it as well. Really cool photos of Cyrene, there! :tup: Jerash is amazing as well.
tekors wrote:Image
Wear it in good health. ;)
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Wow, that is a very beautiful jacket you have there, man. I was thinking about getting a goat from Wested, as I've never really had a brand new goat for myself. Its between this or a distressed cow, but this thread is making me lean towards the goat....beautiful man, absolutely beautiful. Wear it in good health!!

Dan
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Texan and RedburnIV...

Thanks guys, I apreciate your comments. Each day I am liking my goat wested more and more. The jacket started to have that beautiful texture and you feel you really have a leather on you, a second skin, a protection.

RedburnIV, get one, you won't regret :)

regards,
teko
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Nice to see that once given a little time to break in you've come to love this jacket. A brand new jacket compared with one you've lived with for a long time... bit like getting a new pair of shoes.

:whip:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I didn't realise Wested offered dark brown goat - doesn't appear as on option on their site.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you have to ask for it. However, the skin tekors has is not dark brown goat. it's a authentic goat made 15% darker I think. I have the same skin on my jacket. that reminds me, I should take some good pictures of my goatskin. I have had a few years now. anyways, wested has dark brown goatskin but it is the old stock dark goatskin.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Kt Templar wrote:Nice to see that once given a little time to break in you've come to love this jacket. A brand new jacket compared with one you've lived with for a long time... bit like getting a new pair of shoes.

:whip:
:) :tup:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

whiskyman wrote:I didn't realise Wested offered dark brown goat - doesn't appear as on option on their site.
Whiskyman,

Holt is right!!! I asked Peter for a dark brown, he told me mine goatskin was in a bit lighter shade than the dark brown he usually has... as he was in lack of that dark hide.
Even though, the goat hide he used for mine jacket is still darker than the authentic brown like the lambskin ones. At least this is what he told me and comparing with my lambskin is indeed darker :TOH:

cheers
teko
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Indiana Holt wrote:you have to ask for it. However, the skin tekors has is not dark brown goat. it's a authentic goat made 15% darker I think. I have the same skin on my jacket. that reminds me, I should take some good pictures of my goatskin. I have had a few years now. anyways, wested has dark brown goatskin but it is the old stock dark goatskin.
Holt, take good pics of your goatskin and post them here... :H:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Hello guys,
Here's some outdoor pics of my goatskin. :)
I appreciate any comments... cheers!!! :H:

here's some more:
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF7106.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF7116.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF7107.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Wow! The jacket looks great! Especially the wrinkling on the arms! Looks to be a perfect fit too! :TOH:

Joe
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

cool pics. please remember our rule of 6 photos and 6 links per thread. :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Joe JUST beat me to the "arm-wrinkles" Comment... Teko they look great!

I can't imagine that jacket being a more perfect fit on you than it already is... just fantastic.
PLUS it looks great not only when it's unzipped, but also when it's half-zipped just to the top of the pocket-flaps...
I love it when that look is done right... and brother, that looks JUST RIGHT!
:D :tup:

Also just have to mention the way the jacket gathers and hangs in the back:
Perfect

Thanks for sharing these shots, my friend.

(Ooops, just read Holt's note! What I should've written is: Teko, these shots are SO good, you should just go back in this Thread and get rid of your other shots!) ;)
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Wed May 04, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.