Just got my new 405s!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just got my new 405s!

Post by jedidentist »

I ordered them a couple of weeks before Christmas, and was told they wouldn't be ready until March...but lo and behold, there they were on my doorstep today! I was told when I ordered them that they would be made with the new leather from the Mass. factory (and they were shipped from there), but they still look pretty red to me. Not that it makes a huge difference to me, because a little shoe polish can fix that right up. As far as sizing is concerned, I went with their standard 1/2 size smaller than what I was measured at and went with my exact width (11b). While they aren't "small", they are very snug and don't have a lot of room for movement. I tend to like a little looser fitting shoe, so I don't think the length is a big deal, but I should probably have ordered another size wider. Again, not a big deal...I figure I'll get a shoe stretcher and wear them in myself. I'm just happy to finally get a pair! Anyway, just another bit of info/personal opinion for anyone who's going to order a pair.

Derek
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Derek,
Hmmmmm.....Congrats I guess. The snugness might be suggested by the width. If you go the route of sizing a 1/2 size down, then you go up a width. So in my case, I wear a 10D normally for every type of shoe. But it's been explained to me for the Alden's, I could go 9 1/2, E. BTW, who told you to stick with your normal width? I know that this 1/2 size down, width size up formulae was practiced by our famous shoe fitter Fritz (the guy that fitted Harrison for the 405's - who died last Fall).

-Sergei
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

re:alden's

Post by jedidentist »

Well, when I called and ordered them, they didn't say anything about increasing the width by 1 size. I hadn't read it here either, but did know about the sizing down by 1/2. Maybe I'll try giving them a call?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Another tip Jedidentist, if you're even considering returning them, stop wearing them now if it's not too late. Once there is a 'break' in the leather (ie: a crease from usage), they will consider them used and not take them back.

Mike
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

re:Alden's

Post by jedidentist »

Just got off the phone with Jim and he was extremely nice. He said he'd look into it for me and that I'd have no problem returning them. I'm going with my normally measured 11.5 B this time around without the usual 1/2 size down. Again, this is just for future reference for those who are looking into getting some...and I confirmed that this is the new leather and it's still pretty red.

Derek
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

When I had my shoe fit by Fritz he recommended 9&1/2EE instead of my normal 10D. Nice benefit of having it two sizes wider is that when I lace up the shoes, the sides touch like earlier versions of the shoe. It took a couple of weeks for this to happen (a couple of times a day tighting the laces as the leather stretched) and I'm very happy with the results.
Kevjh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kevjh »

Got mine three days ago. They seem big so Alden is sending me a smaller size to see witch one fits better. And then I ship the pair that dose not fit back wicth ever one that is. I am very happy with there shoe store :lol: There realy want to make you happy AAA+++
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

If the shoes seem bigger, that's ok. Fit is what is important. They are built off Alden's TruBalance Last or foot mold. They will look bigger than most ordinary shoes or boots. But, you will get used to it.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

re: Alden's

Post by jedidentist »

Just as a follow up. I received my new pair today...8 days after my other pair arrived. These are 11 1/2 B's, which is what my foot measure out as on one of those regular foot measuring thingies. They're perfect. They'll need a little breaking in, but they're much better that the 1/2 size down junk. My advice, don't go with the 1/2 size down, 1 size wider theory...just order your size. In any case, the customer service is excellent and they'll work it out with you until you're pleased.

Derek
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

PICS!!!

-R
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

I've tried the Alden shops and every retailer I can find in three states. Nobody has my size.

I placed an order and was told 12 to 16 weeks.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Indiana Jess wrote:When I had my shoe fit by Fritz he recommended 9&1/2EE instead of my normal 10D. Nice benefit of having it two sizes wider is that when I lace up the shoes, the sides touch like earlier versions of the shoe. It took a couple of weeks for this to happen (a couple of times a day tighting the laces as the leather stretched) and I'm very happy with the results.
I was fitted in a store in Madison and I also wear a 10D in most every shoe style and I was told I would need a 9 1/2 E though. I remained skeptical since I tried other shoes they had, and a 9 1/2 E just did not feel right to me. After awhile of trying different sizes I left the store uncertain. :?
Williamson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Williamson »

Seems the sizing dilemma is a common concern with everyone. I too wasn't sure what to do either when getting ready to purchase my Aldens. There is an ortho. shoe store in a neighboring city. I wear a 10D in all of my shoes as well and asked about the 1/2 size up or down rule and the gentleman who waited on me said that sometimes it works but not always. He was a certified podiatrist and really took his time measuring and discussing foot trouble in general as well as sang the praises of the Alden 405 model.
He went to the stock room and brought out a 10E.....I just knew that my narrow foot would not fit in a boot of that width but much to my surprise they fit like a glove. They only thing I have added is a small insole that they recommended. It has just a hint of enough arch support that really made the comfort just right.
It pays to talk with them and if possible try on different widths to see which is right for you. I have really enjoyed wearing them and they really are a comfortable. Good luck in your quest.Regards,Williamson.
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

Williamson:

Can you share city and store names?

Thanks
JohnNdy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JohnNdy »

I have been to 2 different actual Alden shops (NYC and DC) and was fitted differently at each store. I wear a 10.5 sneaker most of the time, and in the DC shop I was told a 10.5 D alden was a fine fit. I left thinking it was a bit big. 2 years later, after wearing them on many travels around the world I realized that I had been wearing monster shoes. I gave those shoes to my father and finally went to an orthopedic shoe store in NYC (Moulded Shoes 39th and 5th), after having been to the NYC alden shop. There I told the guys that I thought my aldens had been big, and that one alden store told me 10.5 was fine, and the other said never go below 10. That day I stepped into 9.5 D aldens and I have never looked back. I am ALL for the size down theory...

-John
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

I got measured in an orthopedic shoe store that carries the Alden line. They had one pair of 405s left in stock, not my size. The measurement they gave was my standard shoe size.