Red Wing Iron Ranger

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Red Wing Iron Ranger

Post by ajocampo »

Anyone heard of these boots? Not bad for an alternative to the Aldens, no? :-k I'm getting my self a pair.

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Red Wing Iron Ranger

Post by Weston »

I had some Red Wings just like that a few years ago, though without the toe cap. I think they make a grea close enough boot. I wear Red Wings every day, as my job supplies work boots, and they are Indy enough for me!

Weston
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

You probably have a beckman or something with a round toe...either way, I think they make good classic boots. I'm assuming there's a Red Wing store near by where you are? hahah I live in Toronto, CA...had to special order my size from a shoe store....now I'm just waiting until they receive it.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Its funny this has come up...I am posalutely torn between these and Alden's! These look more period accurate to me, but Indy had Alden's! What to do? What to do?
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Iron Rangers all the way! :whip:

That's just in my opinion...althought the aldens are more screen accurate, I think these look better, on me at least. I've tried on a pair and felt the leather and craftsmanship. These are handmade, and i've never felt leather like this on a boot.
Hollowpond wrote:Its funny this has come up...I am posalutely torn between these and Alden's! These look more period accurate to me, but Indy had Alden's! What to do? What to do?
Hunter57
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Hunter57 »

I've had a pair of these for some time (I also have Aldens), and I actually like these better. To me, they seem to fit the period look much more than the Aldens do.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I quite liked the "Round toe Beckman Boots"... They looked great, and rather close to the Aldens as well.. Nice design and reasonable price.. (In Japan close to 40,000 yen, or about 400 dollars/200 pounds)... I was thinking about those.. Although if I'm going to pay that I think it's just a touch more for Aldens, and I quite like those too.. Soo.. Choices choices.. :D
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

I would say go for it. This is my Iron Rangers two years old
they are guaranteed to last for 10 more years.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, they should. Technically Aldens are high top orthopedic shoes, where RedWings are work boots. They are over engineered to be used in an industrial work situation. Aldens really weren't, though many folks use them as such, but that's NOT what they were designed to do.

Regard! Michaelson
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Yeah I've read up on how these iron rangers are work boots...but for me persoanlly, I wouldn't wear them as one just because 1) the sole has little to no grip and 2) it's not offered with a steel toe.
Michaelson wrote:Well, they should. Technically Aldens are high top orthopedic shoes, where RedWings are work boots. They are over engineered to be used in an industrial work situation. Aldens really weren't, though many folks use them as such, but that's NOT what they were designed to do.

Regard! Michaelson
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

BTW

Rudolf, those are nice boots~ :D

Did you put any mink oil or such on them or Obenaufs?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ajocampo wrote:Yeah I've read up on how these iron rangers are work boots...but for me persoanlly, I wouldn't wear them as one just because 1) the sole has little to no grip and 2) it's not offered with a steel toe.
Yeah, but the same goes for Aldens on both one and two of your list. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah...I'm torn between getting Aldens and waiting on the whip, or getting a Joe Strain and these NOW! Considering how much I would probably wear the Aldens, I'm afraid the decision has already been made...
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Frankly, I find Aldens a bit over rated. There are other options out there, like Todd's, for gear purposes. If you personally like the Red Wings more, I'd say go with them and save up for some Todd's later on for gear purposes. Especially if it's going to help you afford something else you really want, as in Hollowpond's case.

These Red Wings remind me of my Chippewas. Same style and all. I bought them as close-enough because I liked them better. Eventually, I did get a pair of Magnoli Indy boots, but I still find more excuses to wear the Chippewas, and I'm sure it's because I like the style more. I have no regrets, even if it did take longer to have accurate gear footwear.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I agree, Chewbacca, that for gear purposes only, there are other options that are waaaaayyyy more affordable. However, if you plan on wearing them regularly, they're worth it. Now, I have chronic back problems (spine fused with pelvis on one side), and since getting my Alden's (don't hate me, but I got them slightly used for $150) my back pain is greatly reduced--and I wear them six out of seven days a week. Funny thing is that at Halloween I didn't even wear my Alden's, but instead went with Todd's. My back hurt, but they fit the part perfectly.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Indeed, this is how I prefer to make my gear choices. If I loved Aldens (or could benefit from them) they would be my first choice, and so it should be. For me, though, I have found that what I like or need (and what serves me best) is rarely in line with the Indy gear ideal. No Aldens, no Wested, no HJ fedora. For others, these things are perfect. :TOH:
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Can't wait for mine to arrive :lol:
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Just got my Iron Rangers about a week ago. Long story short, waited over a month. The store screwed up the order or something. Took matters in my own hands. Got the boots.
Indiana Jones baby. :whip:

P.S. I shall post some pictures soon
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

here's my iron ranger

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Nice!!! I want 'em!!!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Awesome kicks! Now I have to get ANOTHER pair of boots...
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I dig those boots but I picked up a pair of Doc Marten "Pier" style boots for my birthday. They fit the period well and look to me like an offshoot of the old doughboy boots, kinda like those. Plus they have air soles and are comfy as heck. I had to retire my Aldens to dress boots after the last time I had them polished. They are just too fine a boot to tear up, plus they look great with slacks. :TOH:

http://www.shoebuy.com/dr-martens-pier- ... one-_-none
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:Awesome kicks! Now I have to get ANOTHER pair of boots...
Thank you :D ~ and you're welcome :TOH:
Hollowpond wrote:Nice!!! I want 'em!!!
Did you decide yet if you're gonna get these or are you getting the other one you were talking about earlier?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Oh I still want them...and the Aldens...and now the Docs!!!! ](*,) The words "Hollowpond" and "Decide" do not get along very well! :roll: :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Do the Red Wings have an embossed logo on the outside of the shoe? I seem to remember that they did at one time or another. This always detracted from them, IMO. But I do like the look of these boots.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Do the Red Wings have an embossed logo on the outside of the shoe? I seem to remember that they did at one time or another. This always detracted from them, IMO. But I do like the look of these boots.
The only logo that appears on the outside of the entire shoe is the heel part of the undersole. Other than that, it's all leather :D
They seem really dark though in the pictures I took...they are a little lighter in colour with somewhat of a reddish tinge, but if one does not like the lightness of the leather, you can apply some obenaufs to make it darker.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks. So you're walking on the logo, right? I have no problem with that. But I prefer my leather shoes to have clean lines, unhindered by advertising. ;)
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Thanks. So you're walking on the logo, right? I have no problem with that. But I prefer my leather shoes to have clean lines, unhindered by advertising. ;)
That's a better way to say it LOL. Yes, I am literally walking on the logo. I, too, personally like my leather upper clean of any logos and what not. You've got good taste, binkmeister. Good taste ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: Thanks. I prefer the cap toe design to the moc toe. I have a pair of black Alden 502 boots I love, but they don't make them in brown, unless something has changed over he past few years. :(
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Check this out:

http://devour.com/video/red-wing-repairs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

See also:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=773075"

I've slapped coats of brown, cordovan & black polish on mine & I'm fixin' to go at 'em with some sandpaper. New 72" flat brown laces. They already look like they have been a million miles.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Does redwing make wide sizes ? I've never seen them.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

HDRnR wrote:Does redwing make wide sizes ? I've never seen them.
Yes Red Wing do make wide sizes. Specifically for the Iron Ranger, they come in 2 widths: D and EE (2E). D=normal width EE=double wide. It is rare, though, to find 2E widths for the iron ranger. Why? I have no idea because I've tried on the D widths of the ranger and they are REALLY narrow and hurt my feet. I guess more people have narrow feet?
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

ajocampo wrote:
HDRnR wrote:Does redwing make wide sizes ? I've never seen them.
Yes Red Wing do make wide sizes. Specifically for the Iron Ranger, they come in 2 widths: D and EE (2E). D=normal width EE=double wide. It is rare, though, to find 2E widths for the iron ranger. Why? I have no idea because I've tried on the D widths of the ranger and they are REALLY narrow and hurt my feet. I guess more people have narrow feet?
What I really want is the moc toe Beckman in a wide.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-red-win ... p_id156005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very Indy, high quality, cheaper than Aldens.

Where have you seen them in wides ?
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Agreed, very Indy indeed ;)

Regarding the widths, they might not offer the wide width for the boot you want. I took a look at their official website and the sizes provided for that boot are only in D. I think they only offer wide widths for certain boots, such as the Iron Ranger. You could try to give Red wing a call and confirm if they do have the wide width for your boot. Other than that, I hope you find your boot! You'll be very happy with the quality of their boots. When I got mine, I felt the leather, and it was greasy, in a good way. I've never felt leather like that before.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Seems like that are cutting themselves out of alot of business by not offering wides. Strange since practically every other shoe company does.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

HDRnR wrote:Seems like that are cutting themselves out of alot of business by not offering wides. Strange since practically every other shoe company does.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004PMZWKM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Select size and notice 2E-(wide width) next to the size you want.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

HDRnR wrote:Seems like that are cutting themselves out of alot of business by not offering wides. Strange since practically every other shoe company does.
Yeah I second that...They're a big comany too...they've got stores all around the U.S.
It beats me :-k
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

ajocampo wrote:
Yeah I second that...They're a big comany too...they've got stores all around the U.S.
It beats me :-k
RED WING DOES OFFER WIDE SIZES!!!!
Notice the 2E that represents wide.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

HDRnR was looking for 2E in another boot. The beckman moc toe I believe, not the iron ranger. Thanks for the heads up though
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

ajocampo wrote:HDRnR was looking for 2E in another boot. The beckman moc toe I believe, not the iron ranger. Thanks for the heads up though
Oops, my bad! :anxious:
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Yes, although I like the Iron Rangers also. They probably give a bit more toe protection compared to the moc toe. Some people say Iron Rangers run big and order a size smaller, anyone find that to be true ?
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

Indyzane wrote:
ajocampo wrote:HDRnR was looking for 2E in another boot. The beckman moc toe I believe, not the iron ranger. Thanks for the heads up though
Oops, my bad! :anxious:
no problem! :TOH:
HDRnR wrote:Yes, although I like the Iron Rangers also. They probably give a bit more toe protection compared to the moc toe. Some people say Iron Rangers run big and order a size smaller, anyone find that to be true ?
Yes, that is VERY, VERY true. I usually wear a 9 1/2 - 10 US size shoe/boot. I got an 8 1/2 2EE Iron Ranger!
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Ajocampo, what color are yours? they look pretty dark in those pics.
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

HDRnR wrote:Ajocampo, what color are yours? they look pretty dark in those pics.
Yeah they are darker than usual in the pictures...the color of my Iron Rangers is called "Amber Harness" it's color model 8111 of the Iron Ranger. They're much lighter in person though. They offer it in 3 others colors, black, hawthorne, and the other one which is a much lighter brown