Strand cutting

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

riku1914
Vendor

Strand cutting

Post by riku1914 »

So which part of a hide is best to cut for the overlay? The inner area or the outer area? I'll be splitting it down to size and resizing

and beveling and what not so thickness and all that isn't part of the question, I'm trying to figure out if i should cut my overlay

strands before doing the bellies and all that, ( if the outer part is best ) or if i should go ahead and do it last ( if the inside is best )
rawvoodoo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Strand cutting

Post by rawvoodoo »

The edges have most of the stretchy parts. I use them for the inner parts. I make my overlays out of the center. Good Luck Riku1914 I have only made a couple whips from leather. I think its easier to work with than nylon and not so rough on the hands but there is more work to do overall.
riku1914
Vendor

Re: Strand cutting

Post by riku1914 »

rawvoodoo wrote:The edges have most of the stretchy parts. I use them for the inner parts. I make my overlays out of the center. Good Luck Riku1914 I have only made a couple whips from leather. I think its easier to work with than nylon and not so rough on the hands but there is more work to do overall.
With these type of things i enjoy the prework, plus i've found leather easier to work with ( though i've never made a whip out of

leather, just braided and plaited with some i had around this house )

I'm gearing up for making whips out of leather , going to buy a splitter, make a beveler/resizing tool, and buying an aussie strander

( unless someone can reccommend me a tutorial or video on handing cutting and beveling strands )