Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: My NEW Gibson & Barnes Goat and the Dave Marshall Experi

Post by Gringo »

All I can say is "WOW!"

Cheers to you Mike.
Last edited by Gringo on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

This really is an excellent post Michael, and your pics are amazing as usual! That G&B is in my opinion the best looking jacket I've seen you display. Great work. Thanks!

Weston
bargle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bargle »

I'll keep my eye on G&B for an option in the future, since I still have not found the "one" perfect jacket yet. Great information and extremely well documented!

Bargle
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Very nice post Tundrarider! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow, your new jacket screams RAIDERS! :notworthy:
mimesis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by mimesis »

Well... I'm sold on this one. I'll save up and get one of these, period. It looks perfect on you! :TOH:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Man, that was beautiful. I already own one of these great jackets. You've made me want to buy another. G&B are a terrific company. I also own one of their Maricopa bike jackets in brown goat, which is a great item too - like a half belt. The quality build and leather of G&B is the best I've seen in 25 years of buying, selling, swapping leather jackets. You're so right about the way the straps are built: quality. Nice to see a pic of Dave Marshall. Thanks Tund.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Tund, out of interest, what tailoring choices did you make with the Nowak that you were not happy with?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Man, G&B should cut you a check! I thought I didn't want another jacket!!! ](*,) As always from you, a wonderful post and a wonderful jacket! :TOH:

I came this close to getting a G&B and decided against it because of the sleeve length, which lots of people said was too short). Yours looks perfect though! If I was to get a G&B, it would be a 44T. If you don't mind, what are the main measurements of your jacket?(sleeve length, front and back length, pit to pit, and across the shoulders)

Again, congrats on a great gear piece, which seems to me to be 100% Ick-Free! :clap: :TOH:

Travis
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Wow! Now that is a GREAT looking jacket!! =P~ :TOH:

Joe
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thank you so much for this wonderfull review. I really really enjoyed it. Your review makes me want a GB even more. :TOH:
bartes123
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bartes123 »

Astonishing...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Dave is good folks. The jacket is perfect, and will last a lifetime. Enjoy it. :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Smith
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Smith »

That Expedition looks like an amazing jacket!
Your review sure makes me want to buy one... :-k

Enjoy it, it's a nice one!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Michael, or should I say, Tundy breeches!? (someone stole my Tundy thunder a few posts below!) :P

You did it! An Expedition is alota' jacket kemo! Too much for any mere mortal, when you zip that one up, you gotta bring it, buddy! Represent! :P

First of all, Congradulations! This jacket looks great on you, and these photos really highlight the nuances, fit and finish of the best made, toughest, hardest wearing Indy styled jacket on the market today. This is the throwback, old school jacket that Indy probably would have really worn, all things considered. When I first became a member, Mark recommended the G&B Expedition in goathide, and I have since reaped the benefit and seen the wisdom in his advice many times over.

Great job on your review of the jacket and covering the process behind the scenes, after an order is placed, such as yours. You have provided a rare glimpse into the workings of their factory that few people get to see. To some degree, the Expedition is somewhat of a sleeper in the forum, but my guess is that with other reviews such as this, such will not continue to be the case in the future. Personally, I'm thankful that they continue to make the jacket and have not discontinued it, as it is a small portion of their overall sales. One observation is that over the years, the storm flap has become a bit wider. ;)

Glad to see that you have received the jacket that you most wanted, after a few disappointments in the past. Wear it out and wear it in good health! :TOH: :tup:
Last edited by Texan Scott on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

That is an amazing jacket Tundra and the story even more so. Imagine if they could make more of that grainiest goat...

Enjoy it much.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

Awesome jacket! G&B is my next purchase now!
Rudolf
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rudolf »

Superb!! Michael :clap:
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Michael, thank you for your detailed review and sharing your pictures. Much appreciated as always. :TOH: And, once again, looking great in your gear. :notworthy: :clap: :tup:

Not too long ago, I purchased a Gibson and Barnes Expedition 48R in Lambskin. Loved the quality of the jacket but, the jacket seemed a bit large on me so I returned the jacket with the premise of going down to a size 46R. At that time, Gibson and Barnes did not have any 46R in stock and they stated it would be a four week wait.

Fate would have it, recently, COW member "Pitfall Harry" was selling his G & B 46R in lambskin at a very reasonable price. An opporunity which I took advantage of. The size 46R was a much better fit. Easily one of my favorite "Indiana Jones" styled jackets. Thank you, again "Pitfall Harry" :TOH:

When my father saw the jacket, he stated "Nice jacket. Can I have it?" #-o My father is a bit bigger in frame so I thought a 48R would suffice for him. So, just yesterday, I contacted Gibson and Barnes to inquire if they had either a 48R Expedition in stock. Unfortunately, they did not have the size in stock in either lambskin and goatskin and the wait time would be....two months. The representative stated that there was a unusual demand for leather jackets right now.

So, just a "heads up", if you are seriously interested in a Gibson and Barnes Expedition.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, Dave told me a couple weeks ago that there is about a 2 to 3 month lead time on orders right now.

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Tundrarider, that Expo looks fantastic on you! :clap: You will not be disappointed in the strength and quality of this jacket. This jacket will take whatever you throw at it and ask for more! Wear it in good health!

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:shock:
Michael...WOW!

The photos, words and stories you share are, once again, completely TOP NOTCH.
I can't say enough about what a high bar you set when it comes to sharing information and reviewing the kinds of products that we here in this Forum care so much about. You've made and incredible post on the subject of the beautiful jackets G&B make and like many who've posted their reactions here, I too now have this jacket on my "Future Purchase Radar"

That Expedition looks just AMAZING on you, my friend!
I am so very happy for you and well aware of how satisfied you must now feel. It could not possibly suit/fit you any better... And that shot of the grain of the leather? It just could NOT be MORE beautiful! Thank you especially for that close-up!
=P~

Lastly, I say this next thing to you as a caring friend who normally has nothing but the greatest of respect for the decisions you make:
SHAME ON YOU for waiting SO long and not going to visit the Gibson and Barnes Company (IN YOUR HOME TOWN?!?!?!) SOONER!
You could've been wearing this handsome leather on your back (and WE could've been enjoying the resulting photos) MONTHS AGO, Michael!!!
:x

;)

May you wear it ALWAYS in Good Health, sir!
:TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dave came to the QM Summit a few years ago and was an absolute joy to be around. Good folks, indeed! That jacket looks great on you! :tup:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Tundy,

That jacket looks PERFECT on you!
I've always wanted a G&B (but, unfortunately, they cost more than I'm willing to pay for a jacket).

I've never noticed the strap attachment on them before. I like it! Looks much stronger and cleaner than the "box/x-box/k-box" stitchs used on other jacket brands. :tup:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

TR... Awesome review, story, and pics :clap:

The jacket looks p e r f e c t!!!!! :mrgreen:

It's always great to read about A+ service from a vendor and it sounds like Dave is Top Shelf!

-TS
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well Michael, great as always. I think both your Tony Nowak and G&B look great for different reasons. The Nowak is shorter and more snug, but has always looked "just right". The irony is, this G&B also looks "just right" on you. Must be you.

And kudos to Dave and the crew. What an operation!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey Tundy.

could we see more pics of this jacket? back shot unzipped. side. etc :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Great review! Thanks for posting all the photos. I am jealous you can just drive over there and try on those jackets! It is crazy that we spend so much money on jacket we can't even try on first.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Tundrarider wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:Man, G&B should cut you a check! I thought I didn't want another jacket!!! ](*,) As always from you, a wonderful post and a wonderful jacket! :TOH:

I came this close to getting a G&B and decided against it because of the sleeve length, which lots of people said was too short). Yours looks perfect though! If I was to get a G&B, it would be a 44T. If you don't mind, what are the main measurements of your jacket?(sleeve length, front and back length, pit to pit, and across the shoulders)

Again, congrats on a great gear piece, which seems to me to be 100% Ick-Free! :clap: :TOH:

Travis
Thanks, Travis!!! :D As for doing you a favor, please know that normally I would be more than happy to do so. But I had already considered this potential request arising and decided that as for giving out measurements of the jacket, I'd rather not, for what I believe to be good reasons.

If, instead of a jacket, this were a toaster, or another object with consistent solid dimensions, I'd certainly oblige. But there are way too many variances between leather jackets. If every 44T they sent out were measured, there would probably be variances of +/- a certain amount in every measurement. This is not poor quality control, but just the nature of cutting and stitching together leather, where each panel or piece reacts a bit different.

Add to that the individual differences between how I measure as opposed to someone else's technique. Do I stretch the leather tautly for the measurement or let it remain relaxed?

Basically, I don't want to put out any "bad" information, when the most accurate measurements are readily available from the maker.

If you are seriously considering an Expedition, I'd recommend calling or e-mailing them and asking for their actual measurements. I've seen the spec sheet and it is very specific and detailed in these measurements.

I really hope you understand my position here, Travis. :) I feel bad saying "no" so I really want you to know why.

Thank you again for your kind words! :D

Michael :TOH:
COMPLETELY understand! And as always, a even tempered, level headed approach by you Michael. :TOH: I've got an even better idea...I'm going to UPS myself to your house, and I can try it on myself!!! (I am sooooooo smart! :D )
Seriously though, I think I'll just call Dave.. :TOH:

Travis
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes. please release the of site photoalbum. that would be great :TOH:
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Bravo, Tundrarider! Bravo, Dave Marshall!

Cheers -- Lao Feng :clap: (aka Daoud Pasha)
mimesis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by mimesis »

In Both your jacket and the hide it was used...

"you have chosen... wisely"

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hollowpond wrote:I've got an even better idea...I'm going to UPS myself to your house, and I can try it on myself!!!
:-k
Can't tell you how tempted I am by this notion!

;)
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

Tundrarider wrote:If you are seriously considering an Expedition, I'd recommend calling or e-mailing them and asking for their actual measurements. I've seen the spec sheet and it is very specific and detailed in these measurements.

I really hope you understand my position here, Travis. :) I feel bad saying "no" so I really want you to know why.

Thank you again for your kind words! :D

Michael :TOH:
That's about the direction I decided to go with. I had my tailor measure me according to G&B's diagrams, and took a few extra measurements for them as well. I sent them off, and they said that, basically, I'm about 2" more narrow in the waist, and 1" shorter in the body than their 40R off-the-rack. I decided to have them send me a 40R to try out (which should arrive Friday or so), just to see how things fit and then to decide if I want to go with the tighter waist and shorter body version (which I suspect I will).

The folks at G&B were happy to send me their measurements for a 40R jacket, but I too expect a bit of variation here or there. Probably not by a full inch, but I could easily see an eighth or quarter of an inch here or there just due to leather reshaping a bit over time.

Anyway, for those who are genuinely curious, you can get the general measurements of off-the-rack jackets, and compare them to any "made-to-measure" version you may be considering.
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

The jacket looks fantastic on you Michael !!! Way better than your old Wested :- .

And once again, a great review with amazing pics and interesting to read, thank you :notworthy: :notworthy: .
Tundrarider wrote:And of course, the obligatory "duck, drop and fire" pose!
I had to give it a try... :D

Mmmh, well... It's not as good as the original...
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Great write up. I love their products. Proud owner of 3 Gibson & Barnes jackets.

Expedition - goatskin- dark brown
Mk 41 A2 - horsehide- mahogany
AN-J-3 - goatskin-seal

Love them all.
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

On the timeframes, you can get lucky. The 40R I ordered last Friday should probably arrive by the end of the week (or so they told me). If they have an off-the-rack one in stock, you can probably get it faster than 3 months, but it depends on their stock. For custom orders, though, I gather they're on a 12-week average turnaround time. Which is fine, since we're rapidly leaving jacket season.
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

awesome looking jacket michael :TOH:

keith
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Solo4114 wrote:...since we're rapidly leaving jacket season.
:cry:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I gotto say. I really like how this jacket looks on you my friend. I know your a BIG LC fan and so am I but I like this jacket better you then the LC. you really pull off the baggier and darker look.

Kudos
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Tundra......WOW! I just jumped on this thread and I am floored. That intro pic looks exactly like the promo pose with Marion at the digsite. The jacket is a perfect match. The really fun thing is that both your jackets look incredible on you and yet both look different enough that you can wear them and the difference shows. I thought your Nowak was "it" but this Expo is so super cool Raiders fool YOU.
Congrats on a fine purchase and perhaps the most fun way to purchase an Indy jacket. Thank you for all the work you put into the review...it was a fun read and we would definitely love to see more pics of you in the jacket...rock it, my fellow gearhead...crack that whip!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
nowak, todd, wested, wings, barnes......
Its the same look!
(I love Mugato. My wife loves Hansel. Funny movie!)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The jacket looks great. All of Tundraider’s jackets that I’ve seen look great I might add. His Expo fits right in there.

Dave Marshall is one reason that G&B is always worth considering when you are trying to decide on an Indy jacket. People loved Tony Nowak just as much for his knowledge and personality as his jacket making skills. Dave has always been “that” type of guy as well. This is a man that knows leather and is only too happy to share his knowledge. He gives everybody the VIP treatment, whether you speak to him on the phone or come in and see him in person. I’m glad that Tunraider really spoke up about him as he is a guy that doesn’t really get the press around here that he deserves in my opinion.

Going back to Tunraider’s experience, you can see that it really pays to do your homework when trying to get the right size with a G&B (or any Indy jacket, as it is a tough sunofagun to size properly). There is obviously a big difference between the large unbroken-in jacket pictured with Dave, and Tunraider’s few-month-down-the-line personal jacket. He really did it right. If you can’t come in for a try-on, you are best off either getting your measurements taken by a professional or buying an off the rack try-on jacket. You get your bearings and then send it back and have yours made. It takes a little bit of time, but it’s worth it. Look at Tunraider’s results.

I don’t have to add anything about the construction of a G&B. It’s as real world as they come.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Gorgeous jacket! :clap:
mimesis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by mimesis »

Hey, I was wondering... the jacket you have on your first pic is a 44T, which is the size you ended up getting, right Tundra? Did they customize a meaurement for you or something? I ask because in all the other pics it looks absolutely perfect on you! :-k

Also, if it's not an indiscretion... How much does your chest measure?
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

TundraRaider, from one tundra and G&B owner to another. Looks fantastic. Mine is quickly turning into my go to jacket. I wonder if G&B flies under the raidar (yes, I meant to do that) is because there's no drama and its the SAME JACKET EVERY TIME! No threads of "If I could get them to make my pockets look like that" or "If I could combine the stitching on this one plus the yoke on my last one before that...".

Congrats!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Bemo, when the Expedition was introduced, there was as much blood and gore shed over it's creation as there was during any Wings or Nowak debates. It took a couple years before folks stopped screaming about their favorite vendor(s) and finally started looking at the jacket, realizing what a quality product it actually was.

As you say, it IS because it is what it is and nothing more, and they're not going to change it....but believe me, it was a long and bloody road to get to the point it is today.

Regards! Michaelson
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Michaelson wrote:Bemo, when the Expedition was introduced, there was as much blood and gore shed over it's creation as there was during any Wings or Nowak debates. It took a couple years before folks stopped screaming about their favorite vendor(s) and finally started looking at the jacket, realizing what a quality product it actually was.

As you say, it IS because it is what it is and nothing more, and they're not going to change it....but believe me, it was a long and bloody road to get to the point it is today.

Regards! Michaelson
What's the saying??? : "Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it"
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

:M: :tup:
mimesis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by mimesis »

Oh, sorry, missed that one! But after breaking in and everything... your gear looks simply awesome. I am just a newbie here, but I certainly hope that one day my gear will look as good as it looks on you, Tundra!

HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Tundra, what is your chest measurement? I wear a 44 in a suit jacket, was curious because there are alot of posts about these running large.
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

Sort of similar situation for me, I measure 43" but have big shoulders, I need a 46 in a Vanson.