Question about latest run of AB Alden boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Question about latest run of AB Alden boots

Post by Bullitt »

I recently received my new AB Aldens and I noticed that the liner is now made of leather like all the other Alden 405's and offspring as of late. I'm wondering if this is something that Alden pushed through, because the older AB Aldens seem to have the cotton duck lining. Does this make them less screen accurate? :-k

Even so, I still love mine, they're very comfy. They're also my first Aldens, so I can only compare them to my Todd boots. They are also starting to show some wear, which is great IMO. :Plymouth:
I'm not gonna baby these boots at all, but I'm not gonna wear them everyday either.

Anyway, perhaps Marc or Stefan can chime in on if they made any changes to the boots in this latest run?

Kind regards,

Richard
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Question about latest run of AB Alden boots

Post by TheExit148 »

I know the all leather lining is now standard on the 403, 404, and 405 boots now, thats probably why its like that. I don't think its SA, but this is one of those times when its for the better. The all leather lining is much more comfortable then the duck lining. When I got my new AB boots, I was so happy to see the all leather lining.

My problem with my new AB boots is that Alden screwed up the tongue on mine, and it is too small. Just waiting to hear back on options to fix. The AB boots look the best though hands down!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Did we ever see the inside of the boot? :-k
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I think the leather lining is more accurate to the Aldens of the past anyway - in a period sense, it would be much more common for shoes to have leather lining anyway.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

All good and valid points on which I agree 100%. It does have a more period feel and I find them very comfortable and the best Indy boot on all fronts. I guess my post was more directed towards Marc and Stefan, if they are aware of the changes made, just in case someone will complain about them. :TOH:
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

I don't know about screen accuracy, since we never see the inside of the boot. I can say I own both 403, and 405s. It's my opinion the unlined are more cool (temperature) and therefore more comfortable.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Interesting because my AB boots from Marc way back have the cotton lining, which I like actually. I'm not sure if it is SA or not, but I was told Marc was making these stitch for stitch the boot Harrison Ford bought back in the 1970's. I really don't know why the change anyway. The only change I saw from my 405's which I bought back in 07 and the AB Alden was the tongue had a leather lining on the back instead of the cotton. I know the current issue of the 405, 403, etc have this leather lining, which I have not tried, I am sure it is comfortable. Wonder why the change on the AB Alden, maybe cause they were doing this to the others. :-k Very interesting.

IndianaChris
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

I'm about to buy my very first pair of Indy boots, and I was told that Alden's are the best. Please pardon my ignorance, as I'm fairly new to (seriously) gearing-up...and very new to this Club (which I really love, by the way). But can someone please tell me what AB Alden's are? Are they the same as the Alden's on their official site? Also, what color is the most screen accurate...and would I have to specify anything in particular? Someone mentioned that the tongue was too small on theirs...is there a standard "Indy" style, which can be mentioned when I place my order? I would sincerely appreciate any advice. And again, please pardon my ignorance.
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

And what is the difference between the 403s and 405s?
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I should add, my AB (Adventurebilt Deluxe) Alden boots came back from the factory, and it looks to have been a manufacturing error. All is good with them now, they've been replaced with a properly sized tongue!

Marc Kitter who runs Adventurebilt Deluxe, is an authorized Alden dealer, but his boot that he sells is as per his own and Alden's specs to re-create the boot from late 70's early 80's as it would have appeared in Raiders. It has the darker brown leather, a heavier leather, darker welt, darker moc toe stitching and other construction pieces not found on today's standard 403, 404, and 405. Marc's are the 405 model with the old updates. This latest run also has the full leather lining on the inside (which I prefer to the cotton duck or previous 405's from Marc and previous standard 405). He can only do a custom run of 12. He usually starts up a new order of 12 once the latest order is completely fulfilled. I would email them from their site; http://www.adventurebiltdeluxe.com and ask the status of a new order, or if they will do a new order. They are worth the money for sure.

Best person to advise would be Stefan or Marc at Adventurebilt Deluxe.

Also, the 403 is the code for the Indy boot with Brown Chromoexcel leather, and the 405 is the standard Indy in the waxhide brown leather (its also a lighter colour). Other then the leather type and colour, nothing is different. You can't go wrong with either 403 or 405. They are great boots! I have a pair of the standard 405 which are now about 2-3 years old, and they are still great!
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

Thank you soooo much!!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice!!!! I just went to the site and I guess I'm going to buy both 403 and 405. Can you tell me which model is SA to which film? At first, before I became initiated, I thought there was one standard Indy look (except for the hat and whip...I could always see a difference there, but only the whip from the last film looked different, to me). Now I have five bags, five straps, three gunbelts, two web belts, five whips, two jackets, many many fedoras, a grail diary etc. (the list goes on and on). Being an Indy fan can quickly put you in the poorhouse!

Thank you,

David
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Hi David,

Welcome to the site. None of the boots available are completely accurate for the first 3 Indy films. The AB Aldens are closest to being SA for the hero boots that Harrison wears in those films. In CS the hero boots seemed lighter in color to me. I read the boots they used for CS were actually standard 405's dyed darker and then distressed.

But what TheExit said is true, you can't go wrong with either one of them, you just have to pick a color that YOU like. :tup:

Richard