Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Post by St. Dumas »

Finally! Someone else who believes that an Indy jacket's colour, texture and scale cannot be properly brought out by natural light, artificial light, or with photo reference to calipers or measuring tape, but rather posing next to a pastel beach ball.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Guys, nice jackets! I notice that many have snaps, is this something that Wings will do or did you put them on yourselves? Also, is Sarge still honoring a COW jacket discount on these?

Thanks!

Mark
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey Mark. could you show us a picture of the back? :TOH:
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

singsingjohnny wrote:Guys, nice jackets! I notice that many have snaps, is this something that Wings will do or did you put them on yourselves? Also, is Sarge still honoring a COW jacket discount on these?

Thanks!

Mark
The original specs for the Hero included the snaps on the storm flap. I know Sarge made it an option to have this made without the snaps for anyone that wanted a more Raiders look. The current product picture shows a jacket without snaps. Not sure what to make of that but it's certainly possible they changed the standard to not include the snaps though I doubt it. Having the snaps put on is a fairly simple procedure.

I remember Sarge saying he would offer this to COW @ the $200 price for the year- not sure if he meant until 2011 or a full year from when these were introduced.

What size are you after? I'm contemplating selling mine and it's a Large Long.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Sadly, I wear an XXL long, at least with this coat...I want it to be roomy, with plenty of layering room in it, thanks though!

Cool, thanks for the info as well. I'll email Sarge tonight, ask about the snaps and the possible discount...

:TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Indiana Holt wrote:Hey Mark. could you show us a picture of the back? :TOH:
Sure thing Holt. Here are two straight views shot in natural light…

In this back view you can see two distinct patches of discolouration in the leather - one on the right-hand shoulder above the seam and the larger patch right at the bottom of the jacket. Normally, this kind of defect would have driven me nuts but in this jacket's case, it actually looks even more worn and weathered than it actually is. The bottom edge of the jacket looks like its warped but its because its resting up on the flaps of the two back pockets on my fatigue trousers.

The front view from square on.

Kind regards

MARK
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I am absolutely in awe about how good this jacket looks on you. Nobody wears this jacket as you do. That jacket IS an Indiana jones jacket. never let it go!

and thanks for posting these :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I wholeheartedly agree with Holt! If my antique cow had of looked as nice on me as it does on you, I NEVER would sold it!

Travis
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Weston wrote:I took a few Indy jacket pics today. Here's a couple updated shots of mine.

These shots don't show off the leather like Scott's do, but should show how it looks when you get a good fit. When I find something I don't like about it, I'll let you know. You could be waiting a while!

Weston
You look great here...AGAIN. lol
I've seen some antique cow in this post that seem much darker than this. Mine looks just about like yours. Not very shiny. I felt it gave it a worn in look while still new. And I must say I love mine. (pics comparing it to my Imported Lamb is another thread). One thing I finally broke down and did was rub it all down with Mink Oil. I was hesitant to protect it too much (affecting the natural aging) but after trying it on the inside of one of the straps, went for it. It darkened it just barely and added a bit more shine...but nothing like the antique lamb finish. My Large fits like it was custom made.

Left is Imported Lamb, right is US made Antique Cow...before Mink Oil.

UPDATE: When this was posted I didn't realize there were 2 different jackets known as Antique Cow and "Hero" Antique Cow. The one on the right is NOT the "Hero" version. Sorry for the confusion. However, one is on the way =)
Last edited by RayROnline on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Charlie »

KramStaar wrote:Sure thing Holt. Here are two straight views shot in natural light…
Mark, that jacket looks incredible! I really need to order one of these soon... It's been on my list for a while, I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for posting the photos!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hey Charlie. great to see around these parts :TOH:
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

@KramStaar - that is a thing of beauty. I really like it and look forward to hopefully getting one some day. It looks incredible!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

That's a real beauty mate!
Indiana Holt wrote:I am absolutely in awe about how good this jacket looks on you. Nobody wears this jacket as you do. That jacket IS an Indiana jones jacket. never let it go!

and thanks for posting these :TOH:
I'm glad my jacket seems to work for the eagle-eye aficionados here but I have to say that every person in this thread (and other Wings threads) have shown how good these jackets can really be. Holt mate, when I was told about the possibility of acquiring a Wings jacket, the first thing I did was consult the threads and it was because of pictures of you, Weston, Scot2525 and of course Christian in your jackets that made me feel comfortable with the decision to get one.

You guys set the bar and the rest of us are just wanting to see if we can play in your sandbox.

Michael I know your's is not a Wings but as you know I've always enjoyed the natural and easy way you carry off your gear. In all honesty, it was seeing how relaxed you and the other guys are in your jackets that made me realise that there is more to an Indy jacket than simply purchasing an item made of leather..

Kind regards and thanks

MARK
Charlie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Charlie »

Indiana Holt wrote:Hey Charlie. great to see around these parts :TOH:
:TOH: I've been lurking here more and more lately. Getting a good jacket is an itch I've been meaning to scratch for a while now. Seeing all these Wings jackets is making it harder to resist, especially at the price. But I still have a ton of notes you've sent me over the years to consider too... Decisions, decisions. :lol:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

KramStaar wrote:
You guys set the bar and the rest of us are just wanting to see if we can play in your sandbox.

Kind regards and thanks

MARK
Mark, I'm glad any of our posts helped you find a jacket that suits you like that! It really does look amazing. I probably wear my Hero jacket more often than any other jacket I own.

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'm glad my jacket seems to work for the eagle-eye aficionados here but I have to say that every person in this thread (and other Wings threads) have shown how good these jackets can really be. Holt mate, when I was told about the possibility of acquiring a Wings jacket, the first thing I did was consult the threads and it was because of pictures of you, Weston, Scot2525 and of course Christian in your jackets that made me feel comfortable with the decision to get one.

You guys set the bar and the rest of us are just wanting to see if we can play in your sandbox
Awwww, shucks...'twernt nothin'!
:TOH:

Seriously, though...I am just GLAD to have played a part in making it happen for you, Mark! Holt's right, dude...you have absolutely made that jacket your own....an extension of the man livin' the adventure!

That's my sandbox....out there...livin' the adventure!!

Cheers!
Indydawg
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here is mine after wearing it almost non stop. it really is the perfect fall/winter jacket. perfect for layering. I love it.

non SA only one tough real world jacket cut in Indy style.

RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Indiana Holt wrote:Here is mine after wearing it almost non stop. it really is the perfect fall/winter jacket. perfect for layering. I love it.

Looks great, Holt. Is that the color it came? Or, is it a trick of the lighting? (mine isn't that dark or reddish-brown) Either way, very nice =)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah, that is abuot the color.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Indiana Holt wrote:Here is mine after wearing it almost non stop. it really is the perfect fall/winter jacket. perfect for layering. I love it.

Holt, I quote every single word! I love mine too, perfect for winter, really, in fact is the only jacket I'm using.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I'm pleased to say that thanks to a surprise from my wife, I just received one of these Antique Cowhide Hero Jackets last night! \:D/ I'll post photos soon!

:TOH: Best wishes,
NS
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:I'm pleased to say that thanks to a surprise from my wife, I just received one of these Antique Cowhide Hero Jackets last night! \:D/ I'll post photos soon!

NS
I got mine the same way. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Weston
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:I'm pleased to say that thanks to a surprise from my wife, I just received one of these Antique Cowhide Hero Jackets last night! \:D/ I'll post photos soon!

NS
Likewise… Lookin' forward to seeing what it looks like mate..

Kind regards

MARK
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

KramStaar wrote:

NS
Likewise… Lookin' forward to seeing what it looks like mate..

Kind regards

MARK
Me, too! Me, too! I'm curious about the snaps...
Dr. Nebraska S.

As much as I love my G&B Expedition, I've been curious about a jacket that would show some distressing sooner. Plus, growing up on a cattle ranch, I always wanted something in cowhide, too. When I saw the Wings antique cowhide Hero jacket on sale, I mentioned it to my wife as a possibility for a more form fitting jacket after losing weight. It would also be a bit different style, with (as Holt put it so well) more of a LC/CS vibe, too.

Just last night, a package from US Wings arrived. She took a chance and ordered it in a Large. And... it fits!

I'm fine with the sleeves not being extra long, and I have the Expedition for the baggier Indy jacket look. I really like this leather--it's got great character! No storm-flap snaps were included on this one, and so I'll try and see if I can get some antique brass snaps somewhere (any suggestions are welcome--I'll have to see if US Wings has access to some). The leather is a lot thinner than I expected, so it seems to have good drape.

I wouldn't trade my Expo for anything--it's the jacket I have and will continue to depend on to withstand anything. But I'm really liking the look, feel, and form-fitting aspect of this new Wings jacket! I think this will become my go-to for everyday and date nights, etc, while still offering more strength than a lambskin jacket would. This jacket is a great bargain and a great looking jacket! I'll let you know more about it as time goes on, and I'll try and get some outside photos sometime soon.

NS
Last edited by Dr. Nebraska S. on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

That jacket looks great on you!
Your wife chose wisely! :)

Joe
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

again as I have said in the pm's Luke. congrats on the weight loss. yo look really good. nice tan too :TOH: and the jacket looks awesome on you. I'm very happy for you my good friend. :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Indiana Holt wrote:again as I have said in the pm's Luke. congrats on the weight loss. yo look really good. nice tan too :TOH: and the jacket looks awesome on you. I'm very happy for you my good friend. :TOH:
Cudos on the weight loss and bravo on the new jacket mate…
Your wife did a very good thing here and I know you'll get a lot of robust wear out of this puppy..

Many thanks for sharing

Kind regards

MARK
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nebraska Schulte wrote: No storm-flap snaps were included on this one, and so I'll try and see if I can get some antique brass snaps somewhere (any suggestions are welcome--I'll have to see if US Wings has access to some).
If your local Wal-Mart hasn't completely gutted their craft section, you used to be able to get them there, NB.

LOOKS GREAT! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Joe, Eric, MARK, and Michaelson: thank you kindly! :TOH:

Eric and MARK: the photos of your jackets were particularly convincing to my wife and I. :tup:

:M: Thanks for the advice on the snaps. I just heard back from Myke at US Wings, and it sounds like he'll be mailing me some snaps right away. Good customer service! I'll be all set. Thank you! :tup:

Once the sun returns to SoCal, I'll try and get some outdoor photos. ;)

NS
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Nebraska, sounds like you're doing really well! Kudos to you, sir! :TOH:

I love your new jacket. It's absolutely gorgeous! =P~ :mrgreen:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Yep, absolutely have to agree, Nebraska...
the jacket looks really GREAT... but YOU sir, are looking fantastic IN it!
:)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That looks great Nebraska! I'm glad you got such a great fit. I agree with your thoughts on the quailities of the leather, and the Hero jacket is my go to jacket as well. Congrats!

Weston
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Do'h I just realized there is a difference in the Antique Cow Jacket and the "Hero" Antique Cow jacket. :oops:

So, I went to the WINGS web page to check it out and saw the sale price today is $195! I was so shocked that I ordered one. Next time I post, I hope to be able to have details & pics...Its gonna be hard to beat my U. S. made Antique Cow (which I didn't even see offered now), but I really like what I see here =)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I just checked the website and the US antique cow is still available. I'm looking forward to seeing your Hero jacket when it arrives!

Weston
Dr. Nebraska S.

Canyon, Mitch, and Weston: thank you! :TOH:

RayROnline: please be sure to post photos if you get one!

Now that the sun came back, here are a couple of photos outside (with my Wings WWII Aviators). Sorry about the shadows--hence the two front photos:

Nebraska Schulte
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

A good solid jacket and an even more solid fit mate…

...this will last you for ages!

Cheers for sharing

Best

MARK
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I've gotta say, I'm just LOVING the way the texture of that leather looks in these shots from NS... VERY nice!
:D :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

that look extremely well on you my friend.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

That leather in a US made legend would be really awesome. The Hero cut does look very comfortable though.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Kaplan wrote:That leather in a US made legend would be really awesome. The Hero cut does look very comfortable though.
I couldn't agree more Kaplan, I would love to see the antique cowhide made in the USA using the Legend pattern! That would be one heckuva a jacket.

Nebraska the jacket looks great on you and you wear it well, I am sure you will get much use out of this jacket.
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

Here's the first look at my new Hero Antique Leather Wings. I'm 5'8", 170lbs and this is a Med. I think it fits great. It is the most comfortable wearing jacket I've had yet.

Weston, you said expect a strong smell of leather. This has a strong smell of wax, for lack of a better discription. Definately not leather smell. jThat's a little annoying, but I assume it will go away. Next, I think I'll step into the shower with it on for a quick wet-down.

The photo with the glasses shows the collar. The glasses are the same Indy wears.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

looks awesome on you my friend. funny, I just took mine out from the closet just this second. oh, btw, send me a pm on FB about..well, you know. I'm inerested to hear. :TOH:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Looks good Ray! Don't know what to tell you about the scent; mine always did smell good, still does in fact. Whatever it is I'm sure will mellow out in time. At any rate, I think this is the best looking jacket you've posted. It looks very natural on you. Enjoy!

Weston
Dr. Nebraska S.

Looks great, Ray! :clap: I particularly like the color, fit, and drape. :tup: Wear it in good health!

NS
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Looks good Ray! :clap: Thanks for sharing!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

It looks great Ray!

BTW, my jacket also had a slightly strange smell about it when I first got it but in no time it gave way to the richest smell of leather. Being hot here I haven't worn mine for months but I took it out yesterday and the strong leather smell surprised me all over again.

Its a little like being in the company of an old friend.

Regards

MARK
RayROnline
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RayROnline »

KramStaar wrote:It looks great Ray!

BTW, my jacket also had a slightly strange smell about it when I first got it but in no time it gave way to the richest smell of leather...

MARK
Thanks, mate! appreciate the compliment and the 411 :)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Great looking jacket on ya, Ray!
:)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

RayROnline wrote:Here's the first look at my new Hero Antique Leather Wings.

Well heck Ray, you've got the green screen all ready to go! Go change into your khaki pants, grab your whip, and get Indy 5 started!

Really nice jacket.