whip photos

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

belle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

whip photos

Post by belle »

I notice there is much debate about what length is best suited for a whip purchase. It seems 8 feet is the optimal length for use and accuracy, while 10 feet perhaps stays true to the original carried in the films. I was wondering if anyone has photos to compare what each one looks like coiled up in the holster?
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Would this be of any help?

http://www.whips-au.com/bullwhipics.htm

Best regards

JAN
belle
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by belle »

Thanks for the link. I am thinking of getting a David Morgan whip. As mentioned on the site it seems 10 feet is the standard whip carried in the films, however, aside for the increased cost, the 8 foot whip seems consistant with many elements in the film. I guess one of the main disadvantages is how it looks coiled up.

If those who had already bought David Morgan whips could do it again, what would their choice be?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Hello and Welcome Belle,

IMHO, the one of the best dollar values in Indy Whips is that made by Joe Strain, who learned much of his craft from David Morgan. Add to that list the whips of Jim Markell, Paul Stenhouse and Robert Duke ( all regulars on this board ) and you'll find that DM is not the only game in town. He makes a great whip, but it is MUY expensive compared to a comparable whip from any of the other makers I mentioned.

If you are an authentic completist, then by all means the Morgan is the one, but if you want a superlative Indy whip that performs and looks every bit as good as the DM, the gents above have you covered for much less.

Visit:

www.northernwhipco.com - Joe Strain
www.ecwhips.com - Jim Markell
www.dukewhips.com
and
www.geocities.com/paulbrianstenhouse
:D
Most of all ask LOTS of questions of the real whip masters 'round here, like Sergei and the above.

And enjoy ! :)
Whiper Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Whiper Jones »

Here is couple Joe Strains on the table.
First one from front is 5 ft.
Second is 12 ft.
Third is 8 ft.
Fourth is 6 ft.
Fifth and sixth are another 6 ft. and 8 ft.

Remind that they are not coiled very tight here.
(as you never should do BTW...).
Those 8 footers goes easily couple loops more and they look very nice on belt!
whipmeister
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by whipmeister »

Belle,

Check out this post and replys:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... 37da6b4029

The 6th post down is Sergei's analysis of the bullwhip used in the Cairo scenes. It's an 8-footer... :)

Good to have you aboard!

Whipmeister