Indy neck tie

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indy neck tie

Post by IndyJedi »

Anyone know a good source for Indy's tie?
I been reading about the knot and how how to tie it and would like find one if I can.

Thanks!
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy neck tie

Post by Indiana Dymond »

If it's the bowtie your looking for try Magnoli

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/profess ... p-140.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Indy_Mic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Mic »

As far as the Last Crusade black tie, I know there are several internet sources, but if you want something close to home (assuming you are in the USA) that you can look at before buying, try Jos A Bank. Their solid black tie fits the bill and they always seem to have it in the stores. You can of course get it online too. It isn't "Irish poplin" but it is a nice 100% silk tie with the propper ribbed texture. It deffinately isn't too shiney either, just a nice satin sheen. The width at the bottom of the tie is 3.5" so it isn't too wide or too narrow. Just my humble opinion.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I own the black tie that Magnoil sells and it's perfect. The price is good and shipping is included. Shipping is extremely fast from NZ! The knot that is on Indy's tie appears to be a half Windsor.

I hope this helps.

Zane :TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I agree that Magnoli's tie, while not "irish poplin" is very good. I have it and think it looks great. My only small issue with it is that it has a bit more of a sheen than the poplin would have. Not sure how to remedy that.

Here's a shot of my Magnoli tie. I know the knot isn't right, but it'll give you an idea of how it looks with the gear. The jacket is a Wested lamb raiders and the shirt is a Wested as well.

At some point soon I'll try to get a pic with Azuma's LC shirt and an LC jacket.
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

Great info, Thanks! :D
I'll try Jos A Bank here first and then Magnoli if no luck there.
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

Sorry for following up my own post...
Is this the Jos A Bank tie?
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

If you have any US military connection, the naval PX sells a perfect black indy tie. It has no sheen, and honestly looks exactly like what's on screen. Plus they're only $4.99, or at least were.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

IndyJedi wrote:Sorry for following up my own post...
Is this the Jos A Bank tie?
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,
I would think that one is too shiny. You want something without shine. I recommend trying uniform stores. Military, security, and police uniform suppliers should carry plain black ties. Avoid the word "satin" for this one. That usually means it's shiny.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

This is the link to Magnoil Colthiers.
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/officer ... p-121.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also you'll be helping a fellow member with a purchase from him $30.00 +shipping included! The shine can be taken care of with a little Fuller's Earth. JMO.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/53 ... 55-ounces/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

I'm really glad this question was brought up, cause I really wanted to know what tie was worn and where to find one. Now I know!

James
IndyJedi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyJedi »

Just looked up the Magnoili tie, it's lower priced than the Jos A Banks tie. :tup:
Cool, I'll check out the local Army surplus store one day on the drive home from work and then decide which to go with.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Shame, I asked a mate on the local Navy base here in Japan to have a look and see if she could pick me up one of the officers ties, but it seems you need to prove rank to get one... Cheap, and exactly what I wanted, but she can't buy it.. Ah well..
Maybe Magnoli will get another purchase sometime soon....(Looking for a good black tie for Graduation ceremonies here in March this year... Maybe.. Maybe..)
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

fifthchamber wrote:Shame, I asked a mate on the local Navy base here in Japan to have a look and see if she could pick me up one of the officers ties, but it seems you need to prove rank to get one...
Wow, how strange, never heard of that. The surplus store might be your best bet then...
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

My friend isn't in the service, but her husband is, so perhaps it's more to do with the "civilian" as opposed to the "Officer" rather than "Officer" over "Enlist"... I can't be sure... (She may just have lied and not bothered to check as she said.. LOL.. Possible..)
And yeah, Japanese Surplus stores aren't common though... I'd be better off in the US or back in the UK.. Ah well...
Thanks for the idea though, at least I know it's "possible"!
:TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If you're not overly particular, type "black neck tie" into google. You'll get a million hits and can score one for around $10. Otherwise, I too recommend either Magnoli or a surplus store.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Jeff, being "overly particular" seems to be a standout quality among most of the Gearheads here...Heh...I reckon we can "manage" with a "normal" tie..But then, if it was as easy as that it wouldn't be so much fun right? ;) ;)
Hehe...I'll save for a Magnoli I think..
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Exactly, but since people had already recommended Jos A Bank, there's plenty of close-enough options that would be far cheaper.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Said to be the brand in the film, but not cheap:

http://www.samhober.com/atkinsons-irish ... ie-11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indy_Mic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Mic »

If you want a polyester or a wool tie go with that. Indy didn't. He, or rather his costumer chose a tie that was silk in appearence. If you want screen accurate go for the Atkinson Irish Poplin, but it will cost you. Jos A Bank is right in the middle and you can try before you buy. Visually, it is very very similar to Irish poplin with the ribbed appearence and silk and the visible fiber. The only difference is that the weft fibers are wool in Irish Poplin. Not that you can tell unless you start unraveling it.

This is the tie I was suggesting, not the formal satin tie.
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101061
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Kt Templar wrote:Said to be the brand in the film, but not cheap:

http://www.samhober.com/atkinsons-irish ... ie-11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen this before... but never this close up shot:

Did the original LC tie have this tone-on-tone pattern?

Kind regards,
Magnoli
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Yeah, when I saw that yesterday I did a double take... I wasn't sure about the original having any pattern at all... But seeing the website photo shows a design, which is an interesting difference... (Hard to tell since the film tie is black and rather shineless, so... )
I guess that'll be a better reason to demand "Last Crusade" on Blu Ray so I can zoom in and check..
I found a decent black tie here, low sheen and silk, but close enough to satisfy me and more than good enough to fill the need when I have the graduation ceremony to go to!
Indy, your tie has no pattern right? Poplin-like but with no design inlaid? (I think I prefer that...LOL)
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Found one without the pattern. Fifth one down.

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/atkin ... &nLimit=20

Still not cheap though.

-I.C.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Mine doesn't have a pattern, but is woven to match the plain Atkinson Irish poplin.

Kind regards,
Indy
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

How wide is Magnoli's tie? And how long?

Regards!