Hearing Protection?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Hearing Protection?

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I just purchased my first handgun, a Browning Inglis Mark 1 No. 2 from a fellow member and I'm excited to hope to recieve it next week sometime. I never owned or fired a handgun before, although I have takend a shotgun class a few years ago.

In preparation for firing it for the first time, I plan to enroll in a basic firearms training class. Hearing protection is mandatory, but I'd like some input.

What types and brands do you shooters recommend? Are some types of hearing protection better for impact noise, such as from a weapon?

MarkVII
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Hearing Protection?

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Agreed! Good on you for 1) taking firearm safety and 2) being smart about hearing protection! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: More folks should be on top of both, in my book.

As for hearing protection, I'd ask your instructors what they recommend. I usually use the ear muff style or the foam/silicone based plugs to good effect. But again, I'd ask your instructor what he suggests.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I feel I need the training course. I did not grow up with firearms and only know that they shoot bullets (maybe BBs when I was younger at a friends' house or water from a squirt gun). I plan to educate myself so I'm not stupid about what I'm doing with a deadly weapon.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Tundrarider wrote:Regardless, don't scrimp on this purchase.
Michael :TOH:
I agree with Michael, this is a vital part of your shooting experience so take the time and spend the money on good protection. Regrettably, my over a decade of service has resulted in an almost total loss of hearing and although it would have been impractical to wear big ear protectors in the middle of any firefight I'm still aware that had things been different, I would have been able to hear today..

Enjoy mate. Its your first step into a bigger world.

Regards

MARK
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

In my opinion, EVERYONE would be wise to take a gun safety course. I would have no issue if that was a requirement to owning a firearm. But that's a discussion not suited for these boards. I'll just say I've got some friends I wouldn't trust with an unloaded gun, and they OWN guns! :shock:

So again, you are a smart man going about things the way you are. Good luck!
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

I've had good luck with the foam plugs - just make sure you get them seated well in your ear as you don't want any sound leaks ( and you'll know right away if they're not! ). I forgot to put 'em in once at the local range after the line break, and... YEOUCH! :Dietrich: I grabbed those suckers out of my pocket and stuffed them in real quick!

And concerning your new purchase....
;0 Image
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

MarkVII I would highly recomend that you get a pair of electronic ear defenders.

They will allow you you hear and even amplify instructions/commands being given at the range.

The electronics will automatically cut out any gunshots.Sounds like magic,but they are the best way to go.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I'd also like to mention that the type of range you will be shooting at should be taken into consideration. In an indoor range, you will need more ear protection than an outdoor range.
What may be comfortable level of protection outdoors may be painful indoors.

Indoor ranges can be a very different experience.
There's nothing like feeling the concusion of your neighbor's .44 mag with "special" hand-loads going off! Kinda' takes your breath away....literally.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Tundrarider wrote:Good question. I have tinnitus (faint constant ear ringing) probably due to my history as a Rangemaster/instructor, (But honestly it could have something to do with blasting my music in my truck or attending rock concerts... :oops: )

Michael
Michael, you were a rangemaster? Very kewl! I guess when i get back to cali that's another thing we can put on our list to do.

Learn new stuff about you guys all the time! :TOH:

Indiana Dymond wrote:MarkVII I would highly recomend that you get a pair of electronic ear defenders.

They will allow you you hear and even amplify instructions/commands being given at the range.

The electronics will automatically cut out any gunshots.Sounds like magic,but they are the best way to go.
Agreed. +1 :tup:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks to everyone for chimming in. I apppreciate all the comments. Has anyone heard or know about this product available on Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97044-Tact ... 12&sr=8-10
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

I have these ones

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Q04MRG%3 ... B000Q04MRG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are the best I've tried by a long way. Peltor make a good product.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I like Sonic II ear valves myself.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

It looks like the Sonic II has been replaced with this http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/he ... plugs.html
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Doesn't surprise me.

I've had my Sonic II's for years now, and they still work perfectly so there's been no need to replace them.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

To Solent MKIII, The seller had photos of this (Bowning) Inglis Mark 1 No.2 when it was listed in the Cairo Bazaar. It is out of his posession and at his FFL for shipping, which should be today. I hope to get it by the end of the week. I'll put up photos as soon as possible, unless the seller wants to post what he had for the sale.

I want my gun for my training class, so I can learn how to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together before hitting the range. A local shop offers 4-hour beginner classes, but the next one after my gun arrives is March 15 and it's a group class during the week, that I wouldn't be able to take. So my option is a private one-on-one hour long class with the instructor, where I think I'll learn a lot faster and won't be competing for the instructor's time.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I am using Howard Leight's, they are excellent and low-profile which works well with long guns:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... 428&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a bit conservative so often "double up" by wearing ear plugs under them if there is someone shooting an AR-15 etc. nearby. You can turn the amp volume up enough that you can hear people talking easily.

I've taken a handgun and long rifle safety class (9 hours each including range time) and about to do a 2 day defensive handgun class.

At the long gun class, about 5 young men (14-16) had been given rifles by their grandfather who insisted they take a firearm course before they used them. :tup: :tup: :tup:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:Doesn't surprise me.

I've had my Sonic II's for years now, and they still work perfectly so there's been no need to replace them.

Regards! Michaelson
HA! That's what I use, too! I used them also during my louder rock n' roll days. I think it helped save my hearing! ...I SAID, I THINK IT HELPED... oh, never mind. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

EH? :-s
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

I'm a regular shooter and a musician. What hearing I have left I want to keep. What I've found, without spending a ton, is using the foam plugs PLUS a decent set of muffs. I shoot assault rifles and several kinds of pistols, and this really works. A variation that I just tried for the first time is the plugs plus a set of electronic muffs. This is sort of the latest thing for shooters on a budget. The muffs amplify normal sounds so you can converse and hear what's going on around you, like 'Cease firing!', but instantly cut off when a loud noise is detected, like a shot or even a loud hand clap. The set I just bought is Caldwell E-Max low-profile (helps when shooting rifles) for about $25. They work as advertised and have a respectable attenuation level in passive mode. They have other uses too, and using them when not shooting, without the ear plugs, is adequate for noisy environments or simply enhancing your hearing in quiet environments.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Yes, I run both foam plugs and electronic. I wouldn't even say it was a budget thing, but it works very well especially if you are training or being trained. I bought a second set of the Howard Leight's for my 15yo daughter.

At our range this procedure is known as "doubling up".
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

All good comments. A good set of shooting glasses and a good pair of hearing protectors are invaluable. I've used several different types over the years. I have a set of "wolf's ears" that I use regularly when shooting handguns. They are muff type, powered by a nine volt battery. They cut off all sound above a certain DB level. You can hear speaking people next to you, but it cuts off when a handgun is fired. When I take part in Cowboy Action Shooting, I usually use a military type in the ear canal plug. That way, I get good stock weld with my long guns.

Stay safe, and hit the black part!
Cheers,
Fritz
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I shot guns my entire young life without any protection. Then I had a 20 career playing live music in clubs. I've now got 60% hearing loss in both ears above 5k. Which means I can't hear high frequencies very well. Some women's voices are just a blur to me (which I actually don't mind in most cases :lol: ). But if I had it to do over again I would definitely use plugs and ear cups to double up on the protection and save my hearing. It would have made watching TV and movies a lot easier nowadays.

W
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Wade Egan wrote:I shot guns my entire young life without any protection. Then I had a 20 career playing live music in clubs. I've now got 60% hearing loss in both ears above 5k. Which means I can't hear high frequencies very well. Some women's voices are just a blur to me (which I actually don't mind in most cases :lol: ). But if I had it to do over again I would definitely use plugs and ear cups to double up on the protection and save my hearing. It would have made watching TV and movies a lot easier nowadays.

W
Hmmm, :-k

Don't you suffer from industrial deafness the moment you get married? :rolling:

George :lol:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Maybe that's why I'm not married. No, wait, that's because I don't want to be!

:-
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

What? Eh? What's that you said? (Married 20+ years now!)
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

Hear one minute, gone the next!
Now where did i leave those hearing aids? :-k
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

If you've got money to burn, go ahead and get electronic earmuffs, but doubling up with foam inserts and the big old fashioned clunky earmuffs should be sufficient for just about any handgun or long gun. Don't forget eye protection as well, and enjoy shooting yours. I'm loving my FN Hi Power so much more than my S&W.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I was arounds guns once without ear protection and never again. After the first blast I used cigarette butts and after that I always made sure I had the g.i. issue plugs (they were issued in Basic and AIT) that that were generally available, if you looked for them. In Vietnam I always had some with me (they came, a bunch, in a plastic container you could keychain to your webbing or just carry in a pocket), small flesh colored plugs that allowed you to actually hear but prevented the shock-wave from destroying the eardrum. I'm acquainted with a number of vets through the V.A. who suffer from hearing loss because they didn't avail themselves to plugs. They're even surprised when I ask if they ever used plugs.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:EH? :-s

#### you, I saw the title of the thread and was going to do the same thing. :rolling: :TOH:
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

I used to shoot the SASS Cowboy action shooting matches. Foam earplugs were fine IMHO while outdoors at a match. However, once indoors, I felt the need to wear foam earplugs AND the earmuff style headset. There are some that have the metal bracket that sits low enough at teh backof the neck so that you can wear it with a brimmed hat. I also use power tools at work, and I feel the need to carry foam plugs with me on most all work days. I also find them to be of use when cracking whips as well.

Jake
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rambler »

Doubling up definitely helps with blast. I have done considerable ballistic and blast testing and the concensus among the range personnel seems to be that the in the ear plugs are considered a minimum. Plugs function by preventing (sound) pressure from entering the ear canal. However, an additional source of potential hearing loss is from the concussive blast, especially indoors. This sound pressure is also conducted through the skull especially around the ears and can cause hearing loss. The large padded muffs, black and cushion that area damping out the pressure. Believe it or not, wearing a hat can help too.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Hey, 'selective' hearing loss can get you in trouble. I've been married a long time, and sometimes the 'tuning out' gets embarassing. I can literally 'tune her out', particularly if there's something else going on that I want to listen to. Then she says something like 'Shall I go ahead and put that on the charge card?' which gets my immediate attention. Then I have to ask 'What the heck were you saying?' which totally exposes my 'inattention'. :oops:
bounos
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bounos »

191145 wrote:Hey, 'selective' hearing loss can get you in trouble. I've been married a long time, and sometimes the 'tuning out' gets embarassing. I can literally 'tune her out', particularly if there's something else going on that I want to listen to. Then she says something like 'Shall I go ahead and put that on the charge card?' which gets my immediate attention. Then I have to ask 'What the heck were you saying?' which totally exposes my 'inattention'. :oops:
How did you acquire this "skill"? :-k
Were you born with it ? :lol:
or
did it suddenly come to you once you realized you were married? :whip:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

What?

Huh?

:lol: