Want a new goatskin jacket. Who from?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Want a new goatskin jacket. Who from?

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

So I've got a Todd's custom lambskin that is nice and broken in (I've even worn out the sleeve liners), but I'm hesitant to wear it anywhere it might take a little abuse because of the lambskin. That being said, I think I need a new goatskin for durability. Who seems to be the "go to" for getting one in goatskin? I'm jumping back and forth between a Raiders and a Crystal Skull style.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Want a new goatskin jacket. Who from?

Post by Michaelson »

Gibson and Barnes Expedition is always my vote when it comes to goatskin jackets....or the soft goatskin from Wested.

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

I would second Michaelson. I've really enjoyed my Gibson & Barnes Expedition, and you can see several photos of various members' G&B's over in this thread (my most recent photos of my jacket are at the end of the thread):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48537

I think someone posted some good looking photos of a Wested washed goatskin recently, which looks quite good. Also, I believe there's still a really good sale on U.S. Wings in goatskin right now. I can't really speak from personal experience about anything other than the G&B Expedition, but all seem like good options.

:TOH: Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Very true, Nebraska. I didn't mention Wings as they've discontinued carrying the goatskin Indy, and what ever they have in stock is all that's available...so you might get a good deal if they still have your size .

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Michaelson wrote:Gibson and Barnes Expedition is always my vote when it comes to goatskin jackets....or the soft goatskin from Wested.

Regards! Michaelson
Gibson and Barnes, huh? I'll have to call them to make sure I get the right size for me. I normally wear a 40, but I've got long arms and broad shoulders.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Contact Dave Marshall when you do.

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:Contact Dave Marshall when you do.

Regards! Michaelson
Will do! All I see on their site is a general phone number, though. I guess I'll just ask for him... :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...or....

Dave Marshall (dave@gibson-barnes.com)

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:...or....

Dave Marshall (dave@gibson-barnes.com)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, you're a scholar among men! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

;)

Nah. I just know..............things. :Plymouth:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I can also attest to the longevity and extremely high-quality of the goatskin G&B uses.

One of the two Indy jackets currently in my closet...and one that I absolutley intend to stay there...is one of the first goatskin Expos that came out. It used to be Mike's....then it was mine....then it was Michaelson's for awhile....then mine again....then Mike's again....then Michaelson's AGAIN....and now mine....

Again.... ;)

We've perfected the method of "distressing by postal travel!" 8)

At any rate...if I HAD to get down to one Indy jacket in my closet...well...the goatskin is the one I'd keep....for reasons not the least of which is the sentimental value, of course, but...in all honesty, I've never seen its equal in a goatskin.

So...for what it's worth...there it is.
Regards!
Indydawg
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Indydawg, you should share photos of that jacket over in the G&B thread--I'd sure be interested in seeing it!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48537

It'd be a great example of "distressed goatskin via postal". Does that count as natural or artificial distressing? ;)

:TOH: Best wishes,
NS
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

If it weren't dark already here, I'd snap some right now, NBS....afraid the flash would wash the highlights...as soon as good daylight shows its face again, I'll get on it!

Oh...and I think it absolutely counts for "natural" distressing...if I remember correctly, Mike took it on a cross-country motorcyle trip to put it through its first round of "real world" distressing!

The jacket definitely has a history....although, nothing like tekors' jacket absorbing bullets lately!!

Yeah..if I was going goatskin, it'd be G&B....

Regards!
Indydawg
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If you have the money for the G&B, I say go for it. I have seen several in person, and they are great jackets. Built like tanks, and beautiful. However, if you're aiming for a budget jacket, the US Wings brown goatskin (which will soon be extinct) is a solid jacket that has details that are very Crystal Skull/Last Crusade.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I have a GB and have always loved it. Tough like a tank. It has always seemed like a real working man's jacket.
The only thing that I don't like, is the collar. It seems just a little small to me.
The collar has become a bit "cracked" from lots of wear and I am thinking of having
them replace it sometime.

To me ... the perfect jacket would be this:
The US Wings Imported Cowhide pattern like KWADs. I love the collar on that jacket
with the G@B goat in dark brown.
If I could get that ... I'd never buy another Indy jacket ... except another one just like it.

C
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I'm looking at the G&B jacket as the main contender right now. How do Magnoli's offerings play into this?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Magnoli's are absolutely fantastic jackets, but are ALL custom made.

Regards! Michaelson
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Michaelson wrote:Magnoli's are absolutely fantastic jackets, but are ALL custom made.

Regards! Michaelson
His are also the same price as the G&B, give or take a few bucks. If I'm paying the same amount, shouldn't I go custom? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Absolutely! If you have a choice at spending the same monies, always go custom if the quality is equal. In this case, you are talking apples to apples comparison in quality and craftsmanship.

Regards! Michaelson
mimesis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by mimesis »

Is Magnoli's goatskin as tough as the G&B's? Does anyone have both to compare? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Goatskin is goatskin. ;)

The weak link on many ackets is the seam, not necessarily the leather.

In the case of goatskin, it is the same tensile strength, no matter who makes the jackets, so yes, one is as strong as the other in that regard.

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

...and as one who owns a couple of Magnoli jackets, I don't think the seams will be a problem. :tup: