What would you do different on your next Wested?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What would you do different on your next Wested?

Post by Indiana Grendel »

I just got my first Wested, a pre-distress LC, a few weeks ago and I love it. As I've gone over it however, there are a few things I would do a little bit differently with my next Wested. I don't mean to say I was unhappy with mine at all, farthest from it, but I would make a few requests for next time.

I've seen people mention different things that they would improve under various other topics, but not a topic dedicated to various changes. I figure this would also be useful to a potential new Wested customer, as those of us with Westeds will no doubt mention things a new customer wouldn't even know to think of.

So, the purpose of this topic:

If you have a Wested, and were to order another one, what would you request Peter do differently on it and why? Or, if you had something special done to yours that you would recommend, list that too.

My things:

1: Specify hidden press studs, or no press studs on the storm flap. Mine came with one at the top and one at the bottom, both visible from the outside.

2: I'd ask for it to be made longer. Personal preference here, but mine comes to about the top of my back pocket in jeans, and I prefer a few more inches in the length.

3: No stitching the action pleats closed near the straps. I cut mine out within the first few days.

4: Smaller collar. The LC collar on mine just seems a little too big. I've begun shaping it as I put Pecard's on it so that it folds down a bit more, and I'm sure it will do so naturally with age, but when it lays flat it just sticks out a bit much.

5: Dual inside pockets. This is something I had done this time, but I would be sure and do it again, and mention it to someone looking at a Wested.

I think that's it for me. Anyone else care to share?

IG
pinder91
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pinder91 »

Nothing! Its perfect the way it is.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Yes, Wested makes a great jacket......when I order my next Wested in a few weeks here is what I plan to order and add as "special requests" to help make it as screen accurate as possible:

1.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2.) Dark Brown Goatskin
3.) Slider Buckles
4.) Underarm Gussets
5.) some extra room added in thr arm-hole for my shoulders
6.) and, extend the top of the back panel out to the inside edge of the sleeve seam
7.) oh yea, lol, I will probably have the "elastics" placed in my jacket

After this, this "should" be my last Indiana Jones jacket I will ever need :wink:

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Last edited by Captain D on Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

I like my jacket as it is now:

* authentic brown goatskin "Temple"
* hidden press studs on storm flap
* press stud for left inside pocket
* additional right inside pocket
* elastics beetween action pleats
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

After this, this "should" be my last Indiana Jones jacket I will ever need
You may want to think about adding an extra inch to inch and a half
to the front of the jacket if your getting the Raiders.

You are going to experience the "ride-up" in the front if you don't.

Just check out the many pictures people have posted on this subject.

My first Wested had to be sent back because of this. After Peter added
the extra inch and a half to my replacement jacket, it looks perfect!

Flathead
Kit Walker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kit Walker »

never had the 1 1/2" added and have not experienced ride up at all
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Cuyahoga Boru wrote:never had the 1 1/2" added and have not experienced ride up at all
That's 'cause your a lean mean fightin' machine, Boru. :wink:

Us guys wiith bellies need a little extra leather, for coverage.
Last edited by IndyBlues on Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Mine is a standard TOD ain hide, and I like the lengt as it is. I may consider having my next jacket made of the ragular brown lamb, because it seems to age in a more Raiders-like way. My hide-jacket seems to be very ligt, almost yellowish, under the darkbrown surface which is now showing signs of natural aging with small cracks. Dont know if all the hide-jackets are like this, but as time goes it seems I will have to re-dye the jacket in the distressed areas.
But anyway - still the best Indy-jacket I've ever had.

IndyK
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I would get the Goat and have special buttons in so I can add a wool liner for those extra cold days.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

The only thing I'd change is the color. I love both of my dark brown Raiders jackets, but for my next one I think I'll try the authentic brown. Maybe in goatskin with the black sliders instead of the D-rings.

-GCR
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

I'd prbably order a little roomier fit.
A shirt is all I can really wear under mine
and I don't think I could be quite as
'active' as HJ in mine without putting
some of Peters stitching to a real test.
The ones HJ wears in the movie look
like a pretty roomy fit in the action
scenes to allow for full range of
motion.

Regards,
Indybill
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I have a lambskin Raiders with no extras. The only thing I'd do different is get the sleeves a little shorter. I have long arms and I obsessed over the sleeve measurement and I think I went a tad too long (though I would have been more mad had I gone too short). I know I can have the sleeves shortened, and I may. In fact, it's easier than having them lengthen: no unslightly line from the former sleeve length. But, when I order my next one, I'll ge the sleeves a little shorter. I'll probably try a goat skin too, so I can really wear it without worry.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

lol, yep, thats what I'm doing as well.....going a size up just in case I decide to wear extra layers underneath on those cold days.....plus, perhaps having those elastics placed in mine as well. As for the extra length in the jacket....I may think about that :wink:

Kind Regards,
Captain D
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

changes

Post by rbxb »

I have two Westeds
Both Raiders style
1 goat & 1 Lambstouch
the next one will be Authentic Lambskin. Same short length & tight fit . Maybe elastic under the lining on thr back.
You guys that wanna add length & liners & make one big enuff too add layers of clothes underneath (in my opinion) are straying from the original too much. Why bother with a indy style if your gonna change one THAT much? There are a lotta nice lookin leather coats out there. but only one INDY and that is Wested's original pattern!!
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I accidently ordered my sleeves too long (about 2") and my tailor was able to take them up no problem. Usually I would make it a point of taking something like that to someone who specializes in or does a lot more work on leather, but shortening a sleeve is no big deal, especially since there isn't any cuff on the Indy jacket sleeves.

As far as ordering a little big not remaining true to the movies, it's still the same style. Didn't Indy have a sweater on under his jacket in the YIJC episode where he was in the snow? I know his was at least big enough to carry his bag underneath.

I ordered mine a size larger and it fits great, so I would recommend that to anyone looking to order.

IG
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Hey Gredel,
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to go to my local tailor.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I agree....going a size up DOESN'T change the style of the INDY jacket. I just have broad shoulders and like for it to fit well with layers underneath...plus, if I get heavier later in life, lol, I don't have to worry about ordering another jacket :wink: hopefully!....

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The way I see it is that there is screen accurate, and character accurate. Screen accurate is just that: what we see on the screen. Character accurate looks at why Indiana wore his jacket. I'm guessing a big part of it is because he liked it. It fit him well, it served him well in the field, and it looked good on him. So aren't we being true to the character in looking for those same qualities in an Indy Jacket?

IG
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

I wouldn't get gussets this time.

They may be useful in other jackets but unless they are big enough
they don't really do anything useful - as I believe is the case with the ones
Wested installed in my jacket...

If I ordered another jacket I'd get goatskin for something different.
I love my cowhide jacket and don't see myself ordering another, BUT if I did...I'd get a different hide, just to experience the difference...
Malenfant
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Malenfant »

i think I'd measure my US Wings (Medium) and go slightly smaller. The tag on my Lambtouch Raiders Wested is 42, yet my measurements submitted were smaller and I ended up with a jacket that, despite my girlfriend's assurances, feels a little too small.

I'd also go with the elastics, goat, but leave pretty much the rest the same.

But I gotta get the fedora first.

- Malenfant
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

As much as I love my 2 predistressed cow Raiders jackets, I think that the next one I order will be a lambskin Raiders as I need something for a warmer temp. Only mod will be slider instead of d-rings. It seems that I am amongst many who feel that the shoulder needs a bit more room to move, as I will have to adjust my measurements to accomodate this. Other than that, no changes, no gussets, no elastics, I am a huge fan of Peter's work, and really like his product as-is, without further changes.
Schulte
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Schulte »

Greetings all. I received my first Wested in January and I sure like it as it is. I haven't thought of anything else I'd do differently on my next jacket... yet. I ordered the goatskin Raiders, no gussets (I find I don't need them), rectangular anodised sliders, brass zip, cotton lining and satin sleeves, and I love it.

Although for a few moments after I received it I thought maybe I should have ordered the all satin lining, but I'm actually glad I didn't. Apparently that slides around more and doesn't breathe as well as cotton.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

oversize

Post by rbxb »

I dont recall Indy wearing Layers - even in NEpal
If you r belly is in the way _LOSE weight
The Truth hurts dont it!
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

1) Extra inch -- at least -- in arm hole so it doesn't ride up so high under arm.
2) Smaller collar.
3) Extra inch or so in back length.

Cheers,
Harry
Starman Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Starman Jones »

I have the Raiders in lambskin, authenic color, all hardware antique brass. I would change two things: have it made an inch longer and have the zipper installed American style 'cause I'm left handed. Living in FL layering is not an issue, BUT there are days that are too cold for the Raiders, I have an A-2 flight jacket made of aged leather with a zipout Thinsulate liner. I boucht it about nine years ago 'cause in my naivity, I thought that's what Indy wore in the movies. When I saw Raiders on TV I knew I had screwed up. At least the A-2 doesn't have knit cuffs and waistband, but I digress.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

I'd lengthen mine, though as I am dropping weight, mine got a little longer.

Mine's a TOD Goat, btw. I'd also add the hidden storm flap studs.

Ken
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

I would not change a thing. I love my Wested Just the
way it is now. I dont know how it could be any other way. Its a Wested
Cow Tod with brass d rings and brass zipper, cotton body, satin arms. No other mods.
Kindest Regards
mola
Torpedo Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Torpedo Jones »

Hello ta all !!!!
Probably the only thing that would change, is the sharp sleeves, and I would go away to another type of leather.
I have a Lambskin Raiders and Cowhide Raiders. Probably I order LC in goatskin or would wait after Horseide begins to work.

Regards
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

The one thing that would have mine the perfect Raiders Wested (for me) would have been to have Raiders side straps. Although all my specs were on the jacket, I had ordered a Raiders and got L.C. side straps. A minor detail, yes. However, next time I will specify box stitching.

I.J.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

On my first Weated, I wanted it to be fairly screen accurate. I got a raiders jacket in authentic lamb (I am not really rough on my clothes, anyway) with d rings and an extra inside pocket. I did have the zipper reversed so it was on the same side as all my other garments. That was pretty much it for specs. I didn't get the extra inch and a half added to the front even though I did consider it. Harrison Ford didn't have it added to his, so I figure adding it is actually going away from the original patterns. Mine has an ever so slight ride up when zipped, but I'm not wearing it zipped anyway. It is such a light weight jacket that if it is cold enough to have to zip it up, I'm going for a parka in the closet instead. I have suits that are a 44 long, but they fit snug. I knew how people talked about the tight fit of Westeds and so I went with a 46 long, but in a 44 long length. I also can't bring myself to distress this jacket. If I order another Wested I will probably order a predistressed cow for a different look or maybe a goat. I would probably order two sizes up especially if it was in a leather that would be able to be worn in colder weather. I would add the extra inch and a half, especially in a heavier leather. I think the length of the back and the sleeves on my jacket are just about perfect, and this was the thing that I sweated the most on ordering my jacket.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Just a quick question since I'm about to order my first Wested ever:
Do the ToD-pattern jackets have a problem with ride-up in the front too, or should I leave it as it is without adding length on the front?

I'll let you guys know what I'm cooking when I'm ready to order. :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

1) INSIST on a smaller collar. I asked for it but was told it wasnt possible. :?

2) Get a few inches LESS (yes less) off the waist. I like my jacket to be a tight fit at the waist. the chest is perfect though.

3) Not get an inside pocket - this of course is mroe of a cosmetic than a practical consideration. I feel the pocket affects the drape.

Ken
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I have had my Wested cowhide going on maybe 5 years now, a beloves jacket indeed. I also own a Expedition goatskin from the great Flight suits which I consider to be the better of the two. I love both the jackets to say the least but I am in the market once again for another jacket. I have always wanted a lambskin jacket for as long as I can remember. It is finally time I get one, I will be buying another Expedition, l am of course this time. There is no other better than Flight Suits and their quality and craftsmanship, forgive me Peter just one mans opinion. However if I were to ever get another Wested later down the line I would most likely go with their Authentic Lambskin, nickle fixtures, and satin lining. There's my two cents on the matter.
buletman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by buletman »

Definitely invest in some pictures of myself as well as some tailor measurements.

I got a small jacket, and then a jacket I can swim in

Turned me off to the whole indy experience...this is my first post in more than 2 months...
Corbin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Corbin »

Well, I received my jacket yesterday and I don't think I would change anything! I love the thing and I've been wearing it around even though it isn't the least bit cold where I am. I got the darkbrown goat with no mods in a tod style.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Definitely would make the armholes bigger, as it cramps my pits. I am almost between sizes and I went with the larger of the two. I would go up another size as it is tight at the top of my chest and the top of my back. These things are cut to be a tight fit and I don't like things tight on me. I would add the extra inch or inch and a half in the front as it does ride up, even with someone as slim, trim, and racey as I am. I would consider having the elastic added to the action pleats, but I would prefer to see a jacket that has had this done, first. I would not change the length of the sleeves or the back as they are just about perfect. Oh, by the way, my jacket is an authentic lambskin.