US Wings Legend in Bison, US Made

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

US Wings Legend in Bison, US Made

Post by Weston »

The pics haven't made it to the Wings website yet, so you guys get the first look. Here it is!

Here's me walking with my boy. Don't know why he's making that face, though I suspect he found some yellow snow!

Okay, so those are some pictures, and I'm sure I'll put up more later on, but now on to some review.

My first impression of this jacket out of the box was "LIGHT!" followed immediately by "SOFT!". I truly am surprised by this leather. As I've said before, I was sure it was going to be stiff and heavy, for no other reason than the fact that when one thinks of American Buffalo, the descriptors 'soft', 'supple', and 'lightweight' do not naturally come to mind! If you've ever had a good pair of deerskin, or better yet, elkskin gloves, that is the closest leather I can compare it to. It is significantly lighter than my Striated Lamb, and feels no heavier to me than the Antique Cowhide.

The jacket has a matt finish; no gloss or shine to it. The color is an uneven, reddish brown, very much like the New Zealand Lamb Hero jacket. Time will tell how much that will even out, though I'm sure the jacket will darken over all.

The grain is very unusual. It varies throughout the jacket, but the maker made good use of it and managed to balance it out. The sleeves are the smoothest, the chest and back panels are evenly pebbled, and the pockets have the heavy, almost elephant like grain.

In terms of construction, it is superb! Not one wandering stitch, all stitches sunk deep. Again, a rich satin lining, and antique brass sliders.

The fit is the same as my other US made Legend jackets, and is a size L. Questions are welcome!

Weston
Last edited by Weston on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: US Wings Legend in Bison, US Made

Post by Digger4Glory »

WOW Weston, thanks for the pics! This confirms my intentions of getting this hide! The color variations, texture and character are truly unique.

Does this hide keep you warmer than the lamb or the same?

Thanks for taking the time to get some shots outside!
Your the best!
John :TOH:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I don't know that it's any warmer than the lamb. I did sit outside by the fire tonight. I had a fleece hoodie on under it and was perfectly comfortable with the temp at 30 farenheit.

Weston
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I see what you mean about the elephant hide like characteristics with that pocket flap. Actually looks like a dinosaur hide would! So old school, old world in such a good way. Very rugged with depth of character.
Oh, yeah I will be calling USWINGS again! :tup:
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Is this one going in the wash? I wonder what that would look like???
:-k

Guess that would make it a water buffalo then? :lol:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

That's a beautiful -and unique- looking jacket!
Thanks (as always) Weston for these great shots.
:TOH:

Makes me wonder how cool this leather would look in a Last Crusade cut.
:)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I had the pleasure of stopping by the US Wings retail shop this week and spent some time with Sarge and his staff. Wonderful people and very generous with their time despite being the weeks before Christmas.

Alas, they didn't have any bison jackets in stock, but more are coming Monday and I'll be stopping back later in the week. I was hoping to see Sarge's personal jacket, but that wasn't on hand either. I did get to see a sample of the bison skin they have draped over a chair in the show room.

Amazing leather! I agree with Weston in whole with his description. Soft and supple. The piece of leather was roughly 3 feet by 5 feet and there were at least four distinct grains over the surface, from nearly flat through the rough elephant hide look. The color variations were similar to the pictures Weston has posted though more subtle in person.

I look forward to stopping back and hopefully coming away with a new jacket.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff

P.S. Total derail, but I got a special preview and got to try on a 'just in' imported horsehide. Un-be-lieve-able! :shock: Sarge said :M: has been after him for years about a horsehide offering and that this jacket is going to make :M: flip. That's all I'll say for now. :twisted:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Mitch LaRue wrote:That's a beautiful -and unique- looking jacket!
Thanks (as always) Weston for these great shots.

Makes me wonder how cool this leather would look in a Last Crusade cut.
:)
You and I are of the same mind on that brother. I think it would make a cool LC. :whip:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Digger4Glory wrote:Is this one going in the wash? I wonder what that would look like???

No, I won't be washing this one. I don't believe there would be anything to gain by doing so with this one.

Thanks Mitch! As usual, I'll update you guys after awhile so you can see how it breaks in.

Weston
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Weston,

That is Beautiful! Love the grain.
These new Wings jackets sure are amazing, aren't they!
Digger4Glory wrote:Is this one going in the wash? I wonder what that would look like???

:rolling:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:P.S. Total derail, but I got a special preview and got to try on a 'just in' imported horsehide. Un-be-lieve-able! :shock: Sarge said :M: has been after him for years about a horsehide offering and that this jacket is going to make :M: flip. That's all I'll say for now. :twisted:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
:lol:

:M: :tup:
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Thanks Weston! That a size Large?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Bemo wrote:Thanks Weston! That a size Large?
Yes it is. I just went back and edited my first post and put that information in there. :TOH:

Weston
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Another fine jacket from US Wings, you wear it well Weston. Hoping to get a call today or tomorrow from Sarge or Myke asking what address I want the Cowhide shipped to.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

scot2525 wrote:Another fine jacket from US Wings, you wear it well Weston. Hoping to get a call today or tomorrow from Sarge or Myke asking what address I want the Cowhide shipped to.
Now comes some very good news.. The Indy Legend Bison Jackets were sent from the Factory in Elizabeth NJ.. 9 Smalls 0-Med. 17 Large 5 XL 15 2XL and 4 3XL.... The Med. may go out tomorrow or day after tomorrow! Now some more Good News.. Roz used the Collectors Leather For the Cow Legend made in the USA .. She did not want to say anything until she got the Leather!! The Jacket is awesome!! WOW what a look !! Scott yours went to shipping today!
Sarge
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

How bout Striated Lamb Sarge. I upgraded to two day shipping. I HOPE I can get it before Christmas!! [-o< I'm going out of town the day after!

Travis
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Hollowpond wrote:How bout Striated Lamb Sarge. I upgraded to two day shipping. I HOPE I can get it before Christmas!! [-o< I'm going out of town the day after!

Travis
I know what you mean but this is out of my hands!Roz Schott is 100 % Union.. Cut and dry. When the Union tells her when they can ship the Striated Lamb...they will.. I had hoped before X-Mas.. we will see.
Sarge
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Weston that is hands down the coolest jacket I've seen!! Very original, I like it. Wish I afford one but...
Not much time I have but will write more tomorrow....?

Not to hijack a thread but what about the HH jackets? These I am very interested in seeing. Sarge any details?
kwh
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kwh »

weston that's a great looking us wings. i love the leather grain in the pockets. i have a 5 year old uswings antique cowhide.it's 2nd hand imported.and i love mine. not bison. anyway,great looking jacket weston.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

whipcracker wrote:Weston that is hands down the coolest jacket I've seen!! Very original, I like it. Wish I afford one but...
Not much time I have but will write more tomorrow....?

Not to hijack a thread but what about the HH jackets? These I am very interested in seeing. Sarge any details?
Don't know.. Roz said we are out of room with all these styles we have and more being made !! BTW The Bison in Med. are done and going out tomorrow!!
Sarge
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Just pulled the trigger on the Bison Large!! :D
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Sgt. wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:How bout Striated Lamb Sarge. I upgraded to two day shipping. I HOPE I can get it before Christmas!! [-o< I'm going out of town the day after!

Travis
I know what you mean but this is out of my hands!Roz Schott is 100 % Union.. Cut and dry. When the Union tells her when they can ship the Striated Lamb...they will.. I had hoped before X-Mas.. we will see.
Sarge

Well that doesn't sound good.

I guess those who ordered Bison are the lucky ones.

Man this *****. :(
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If a few more days is more than you can stand, maybe you should ask for a refund, PSB. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Maybe it will be a good thing the site will be taking a Christmas/New Year's break.... :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Something we ALWAYS look forward to, believe me. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

That's a very nice looking jacket! :)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Digger4Glory wrote:Just pulled the trigger on the Bison Large!! :D
Excellent! This really is the finest jacket Wings makes in my opinion, and the best jacket I have ever had by far! You have to put this one on to appreciate how good it feels, how incredibly rich and comfortable it is. It isn't film replica accurate in terms of color, but I like imagine, for fantasy's sake, that if Indiana Jones had walked into a haberdashery of his time seeking a jacket that would see him through many adventures in climates ranging from tropical jungles to the icy peaks of Nepal, he would have picked this one.

All the Wings jackets I've owned have been superb adventure jackets, but this, man, I can't overstate how good it is. I hope alot of you guys will go for it. You will wear it hard, and no doubt be able to pass on to your Grandchildren. That is my plan, at any rate!

Weston
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Weston wrote:
Digger4Glory wrote:Just pulled the trigger on the Bison Large!! :D
Excellent! This really is the finest jacket Wings makes in my opinion, and the best jacket I have ever had by far! You have to put this one on to appreciate how good it feels, how incredibly rich and comfortable it is. It isn't film replica accurate in terms of color, but I like imagine, for fantasy's sake, that if Indiana Jones had walked into a haberdashery of his time seeking a jacket that would see him through many adventures in climates ranging from tropical jungles to the icy peaks of Nepal, he would have picked this one.

All the Wings jackets I've owned have been superb adventure jackets, but this, man, I can't overstate how good it is. I hope alot of you guys will go for it. You will wear it hard, and no doubt be able to pass on to your Grandchildren. That is my plan, at any rate!

Weston
Oh, I agree this is a jacket that Jones would have picked. The character it has is amazing in those shots of the jacket you took and I can't wait to see it in person! I don't think there were any delays attached to the bison, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will ship soon. Otherwise, something to look forward to! :TOH:

Thanks Weston, for posting those pics so fast! It made me buy one!! :lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'm going to TRY to finally get some of me in the bison posted before week's end, too...

I agree with everything that's been said about the jacket, too...although I'll also write a review and go over all the pros and cons I think exist, too...

It is, indeed, a likely candidate for a jacket the "REAL" Indy would have slipped into!

If you're getting one of the Legend jackets, I highly recommend it! (Although, to be completely fair, I have NOT seen the striated lamb in person.. :( )
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

The Bison jacket pictures on the US Wings website look different than the ones Weston posted here. Which photos are more accurate in terms of colour?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The pictures on the Wings site are slightly darker, but look very similar to the last picture Weston posted here of him walking with his son. Based on my seeing a sample of the bison in person, I'd say the color (to me with my monitor, etc.) looks closer to the pictures on the wings site.

See the pictures Indydawg posted in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49828&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The lighting is a little darker and I think more accurately reflects the color of the jacket in person.

Speaking of Dawg pictures, love the one on the Wings site of you and (I presume) your family. :TOH:

By the by, my order for a M Bison just went in! :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Indiana Jeff wrote:By the by, my order for a M Bison just went in!
Isn't M Bison the bad guy from Street fighter?? :lol: :Plymouth:

Ian
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Ian wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:By the by, my order for a M Bison just went in!
Isn't M Bison the bad guy from Street fighter?? :lol: :Plymouth:

Ian
:lol: Bet they had a hard time skinning him! :lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Thanks, Jeff! You are going to love the jacket, man!!!

And yes...the jacket's coloration is actually a deep reddish-brown with dark brown places on it.

I've also spot-treated the jacket in some places with some dark brown Pecards leather dressing, and that has both evened out the color immensely, but it has also darkened it up some since the pictures were taken for the website. The most recent ones I put up of the back of the jacket are post-Pecard treatment and the jacket is already darker brown...

It's a fantastic leather, I know that!

Regards!
Indydawg
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dawg,

Did you give it any kind of 'water treatment' either soak, shower or washer? I ask because the straps are much more relaxed in the back shots. Was that just a result of the Pecards?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

No, no wash treatment.

It's half a result of the pecards, and half because when I treated it, I rubbed all that pecards in good, went ahead and buffed out the excess, and then tucked the straps up UNDER those sliders and let them "relax" that way, so that when I took them out from under, they were loose and floppy like they should be.

No...I figure I'm just going to wear this puppy and let what comes come....it'll get it's fill of adventure all through me... ;)
Indydawg
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Ah thanks! Looks similar, maybe a shade lighter, than Tony's 747. Would make a great Surrogates jacket :)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yes...yes, it would...
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Baldwyn wrote:Ah thanks! Looks similar, maybe a shade lighter, than Tony's 747. Would make a great Surrogates jacket :)
Sounds like yet another vote for Wings to make a half-belt style jacket! [-o< When I asked Sarge pretty much unequivocally said "No", but COME ON! One of those jackets... :o In that hide... :shock: Made by Schott for US Wings... :Dietrich: That would be the AWESOMEST!!! At least I know I would be saving my pennies right now. :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You and me both!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Hollowpond wrote:
Baldwyn wrote:Ah thanks! Looks similar, maybe a shade lighter, than Tony's 747. Would make a great Surrogates jacket :)
Sounds like yet another vote for Wings to make a half-belt style jacket! [-o< When I asked Sarge pretty much unequivocally said "No", but COME ON! One of those jackets... :o In that hide... :shock: Made by Schott for US Wings... :Dietrich: That would be the AWESOMEST!!! At least I know I would be saving my pennies right now. :TOH:
Good use of the face melting smiley. I'm on board with that!!!!! At a similar pricepoint, it'd be the best deal on the market!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Indiana Jeff wrote:The pictures on the Wings site are slightly darker, but look very similar to the last picture Weston posted here of him walking with his son. Based on my seeing a sample of the bison in person, I'd say the color (to me with my monitor, etc.) looks closer to the pictures on the wings site.

See the pictures Indydawg posted in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49828&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The lighting is a little darker and I think more accurately reflects the color of the jacket in person.

Speaking of Dawg pictures, love the one on the Wings site of you and (I presume) your family. :TOH:

By the by, my order for a M Bison just went in! :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Yeah, those first pictures I posted are straight out of the camera, not altered at all, and seem a bit washed out, and the red is really showing up. It is a dark reddish brown closer to what you see on the Wings site, or in that last pic with me and my boy for that matter. I have yet to see a picture that truly shows the color of this jacket as seen with the naked eye.

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, Weston, it does depend so much on the lighting, man...those pics of me with my family show the jackets in pretty close to accurate color, but the light was SO bright that day, they may be a little washed out, too.

Natural color is hard to capture.

But, I've been playing with the settings on my camera to try ;)

And yeah...I'd throw in my vote for Wings to offer something in a half-belt G-1 back with the Surrogates-type front....

That's a sweet design...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, as long as we're dreaming in la-la land, I'd like mine in a size 40 regular. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Surrogates half-belt style in Bison is the ticket! Without taking us too far afield, Manoli has half-belt styles and/or can expand his offerings. If he could source some bison leather....

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well someone better practice their Jedi mind tricks, cause Sarge told me, No go!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Indydawg wrote:Well, Weston, it does depend so much on the lighting, man...those pics of me with my family show the jackets in pretty close to accurate color, but the light was SO bright that day, they may be a little washed out, too.

Natural color is hard to capture.

But, I've been playing with the settings on my camera to try ;)

And yeah...I'd throw in my vote for Wings to offer something in a half-belt G-1 back with the Surrogates-type front....

That's a sweet design...
I didn't even see your pics before I posted this. Very nice! Definitely a better representation of the color than my pics here. It really does change dramatically with the light, as so many of these jackets do.

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Well, what do you know. I just got a postcard from US Wings with Weston's mug staring out at me. (Actually, a great pic Weston.) Gotta say I've always loved bison leather, particularly the grain and drape, but just can't get over the blotchy appearance. If it was all dark it would be an absolute home run, but it just seems odd - is it because of the camera or is that pretty much how it looks in real life?

Anyway, I feel like I should get Weston to autograph this thing, it's such a nice postcard.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Tibor wrote:Well, what do you know. I just got a postcard from US Wings with Weston's mug staring out at me. (Actually, a great pic Weston.) Gotta say I've always loved bison leather, particularly the grain and drape, but just can't get over the blotchy appearance. If it was all dark it would be an absolute home run, but it just seems odd - is it because of the camera or is that pretty much how it looks in real life?

Anyway, I feel like I should get Weston to autograph this thing, it's such a nice postcard.
Thanks Tibor! All the credit goes to Richelle and her photography skills. As to the color, while the contrast is obviously amplified in the picture, that uneven color is still there though it isn't as severe in real life. There was talk of making these in seal brown at one point, but alot of things have changed since then. Maybe we'll see it down the road.

Weston