Wild West Whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wild West Whips

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hi all!

I came across Robert Dante´s whip site http://www.wildwestwhips.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He has very affordable Indy style bullwhips made in goat hide by a seasoned saddlemaker, in his words. Has anybody here ever handled one or know anything about them? Mr. Dante is a very respected whip performer, so I would tend to think that what he is offering would be a good "starter whip".

Cheers!

IndianaBravo
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wild West Whips

Post by thefish »

I have not handled one personally, but have spoken directly to Robert about them. He is indeed impressed with them as a good "beginner's whip" upon which you can learn more than just "the basics." He not only sells them, but also uses them for the whip workshops that he teaches, (where he will sell them to students.)

I've worked with Robert and have read his book. His focus in teaching is all about developing accuracy, technique and minimal effort with maximum effect. If these whips didn't deliver on that, I doubt they would carry his endorsement.

I believe that our own Clarke Bynum has one of these, (started off with it, and then graduated to a Performance Hybrid from Lauren Wickline, and then a REALLY NICE fancy stockwhip from Paul Nolan that I may have to mug him and steal for my very own if we ever meet face-to-face.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxGxCvf5bDc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video speaks for itself, (on both the caliber of the whip, and that of young Mr. Bynum.)

All the best, and happy cracking!

-D
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I think I remember reading somewhere here that these whips were being made by the same people who make the whips for Todd's. (They DO resemble Todd's whips and are made of Goatskin, which I believe the Todd's are made of as well.)
However, my memory is not what it used to be. So, take that into consideration.

Either way, it is still a good price for a whip (and if they are good enough for RD, they're good enough for me). Wouldn't mind one of the 5 footers myself.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I think you are correct kwad. I believe they are the same as Todd's. The picture posted looks just like one to.
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

Ok who is the whip maker for Todds?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

If I recall they come out of India or Pakistan. A few years ago they contacted just about every whipmaker to try to get us to sell their whips. Also if I remember right when Todds, Dante, etc started selling these someone said they were "exclusive" to them. Once again if I remember right they recontacted me about 3-4 months ago, so anyone that says these whips are exclusive to them might be surprised at the English to (insert language here) dictionary as to the translation of exclusive.

The best deal on a beginner bullwhip ever was from Dante and I don't think he offers it anymore was a copy of his book, with earplugs, safety glasses and a five foot 8 plait roo Tella bullwhip for $150.

I bought one of those sets from Dante in person...I don't know how Tella was able to make those for that cheap, but it was steal at that price!

Maybe if enough people nag Dante he'll be able to get Tella to make them again at that price.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Dante doesn't offer that deal anymore, but Vic is selling those 5 foot 8-plait whips at $159.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

From a cheap good whip standpoint it's a steal at 159 I'm amazed more people don't own that whip
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

My point exactly. ;)
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

The deal on Tella's economy 8 plait bullwhips is even better right now. You can get the 5 foot 8 plait for $159, but he's got a $20 off any whip sale and free shipping, so total that will save you about $40...or just about 25% off the total price after shipping. At that point he's basically paying you to make this whip for you.

details visit: http://www.snakewhip.com/catalog1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly now with the price point down to $139 this should be a no brainer for anyone looking for a beginners or cheap bullwhip. If I was in the market for a cheap whip I'd order one now before Tella realizes he's making no money on these and adds an asterisk after the "any whip" on this sale to exclude these.

I'm halfway tempted to order 6 of these at that price and once I get them resell them as for $200+ with no wait on my website

Wow, I just realized you could get a pair of roo whips to learn two handed cracking for way under $300.

Louie
rjccj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rjccj »

I have been debating one of the Tella budget whips for a while. The reason I hadn't yet was because it seemed like too good a deal to be true. Haven't been able to find many reviews of his work from sport whip crackers. But now I think my mind has been made up. Thanks guys.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

For $139 right now you can't go wrong with a whip from a known whipmaker.

Louie