My distressing process for Wested LC (pics)

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

ImageImage

Firstly, may I say that this is a very recent image of the jacket. The look has been achieved over a period of about two years, so, it is important to be patient in ones quest to distress/age one of these jackets, it will not happen over night. The following is the initial preparation procedure upon receipt of a new garment.

Here is a brief process discription.
a. Generous application of leather dressing,on this occasion I used the 'Lincoln' Leather Dressing Gel. Leave for one week and then repeat application. This leather dressing contains Lanolin, therefore you may wish to wipe away slightly greasy residue with a clean cloth, IMO it gives the jacket a nice texture. When content that the dressing has fully absorbed immerse it completely into a bucket of water, leave it for a short while then wring out the excess water and leave to dry in natural sunlight (once dried the leather will have a nice aged texture and the 'new shine' should be gone).

b. Using disposable nail files begin filing on and around seams and edges. The more you take your time, the better the result. Double up nail file for larger seams (shoulders/back). No one can put a time frame on this, but I worked on pockets and seams on and off, over a three week period.

c. For overall aging and further seam detail, I used some very fine sandpaper and a sandpaper block. For the larger panels rub in small circular movements, trying to keep it even (in some areas the underlining provides shapes and textures, especially on the sleeves and back).
Again, take your time as even the finest sandpaper will take the surface right off if applied too hard. This took a further two weeks to perfect.

d. A little nail polish remover (or acatone) on cotton wool was used to emphasize lines of distress and some highlights, but very little. Dark brown shoe polish was used as shading around pockets/collar. This must be to your personal taste.

Finally, the real magic, I managed to get hold of some dark brown leather dye from a local saddlery. This I applied generously to the collar, front breast panels and shoulder panel. Only one application was required.

The main difference you'll see in these recent pics are the lines of distress to the sleeve.
(Using your sanding block) flatten the sleeve out on the floor, holding the shoulder seam flat with your spare hand, starting at the shoulder and in one slow steady sweep pull the sanding block all the way down the sleeve to the cuff. You can use the natural fold to emphasize this look if you so wish. Be firm but take care, depending upon how worn a look you wish to achieve.

It will help to have an artistic side to your personality. Treat the initial garment as a blank canvas or unfinished work. Have a specific image of the final product in your mind's eye.
In my case, I visualised the Castle Brunwald scene.
Good luck and happy distressing.
JTW.
Last edited by jones the whip on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

to me, your jacket looks very LC. what leather is that? it looks like lamb but it also looks a little stiff like new goat.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Apologies, I should have stated that this jacket is authentic brown lamb.
Do not be deceived, it looks nothing like it did on arrival. I believe the regular lamb would have been better.
JTW.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

BRA-VO!!! :D You did a fantastic job on that jacket! Hats off!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

That is absolutely first class! (I'm running out of ways to say something is good!! So many awesome things going on lately!) :lol:

Great, great work! Whenever I distress something (especially something expensive like the jacket), I'm a fan of working slooooowly and taking my time to not overdo anything and make sure things look uneven, natural, and subtle. You've done a wonderful job doing just that. :clap:

Shane
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

That is a very great looking jacket. The patience you put into it really paid off well. Two thumbs up !!!
:tup: :tup:
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My distressing process for Wested LC (pics)

Post by jones the whip »

There have been some requests for me to update the information above together with the recent jacket photos.
JTW.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Thank you Jones! It's a great thread. I'd love to see you have a go at a Raiders or a ToD next mate :)
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

After what i've been through with this one?? :roll: you must be jokin, I don't think my sanity could take it.
Thanks buddy, :TOH:
JTW.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Very nice work... you did well!!!
Thanks for sharing...
:TOH:
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Hey jones the whip,

You forgot step E. The "cojenes" to do it!

:mrgreen:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

My jacket is a year and a half lambskin Wested Raiders.
Although I prefer the natural distressing, I've decided to give my Wested a slight distressing look.
I really didn't want to use acetone or alcohol... I used some cold water (plus getting it under the rain) to take the shine away, which I know will require several times over to achieve the result, but it's ok.
So, in order to give an aged look to the seams, pockets edges, shoulder areas and elbows I used one of those nail files but for feet.... it's also a kind of sandpaper.
I rubbed it on the areas I wanted very gently... so the jacket would look a bit more "used and aged".
In addition to that, I twisted the jacket many times, specially when it was wet...
The result was nice... a bit of distressing only...
:)
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

I suspect that in time you may go a bit further, just remember if you do go a bit too far you can always cover up over distressing with leather dressing and shoe polish / leather dye etc.
JTW. :TOH:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Hello,

Here are the pics of my distressed Wested using one of those feet files (i don't know how they call it in the US).
I rubbed the main areas (pockets, shoulders, elbows, back, sleeves, below the rings and lower parts)... and I will still wash the jacket with cold water only.
The first picture shows the jacket before...

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6395.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6689.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6699.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6698.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Have you applied leather dressing to this jacket, if not, I recommend that you do as it will give the leather a nice patina.
JTW.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

jones the whip wrote:Have you applied leather dressing to this jacket, if not, I recommend that you do as it will give the leather a nice patina.
JTW.
Jones,

No, i haven't. I confess that i quite like the look of the jacket as it is... kinda of rustic and scratched after some adventure.
Another reason, I am affraid a leather dressing might alter the colour... or give some shine to it. :-k
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

I understand, that's cool.
Don't be affraid of using a good quality dressing, if anything it should remove any shine.
JTW.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

jones the whip wrote:I understand, that's cool.
Don't be affraid of using a good quality dressing, if anything it should remove any shine.
JTW.
Hummmm :-k
Thanks for the tip JTW. :)
I guess I will try it in the future. Since I am washing the jacket with cold water, it should remove the shine. Then I will consider a dressing.

cheers dude
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

jones the whip wrote:I understand, that's cool.
JTW.
Jones,
In the future I will use a dressing. My question for you is: when you say leather dressing, can I use one of those pastes for shoes? And what colour should I use on the jacket, incolour or brown? I am affraid to alter the colour of the jacket.

cheers
teko
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

I recommend you purchase what's known as a saddle dressing or saddle soap. It is an equestrian equipment product and any saddlery will stock it.
Of course there's always Picards leather dressing, I understand that it is good quality and many members of this forum swear by it.
Hope this helps.
JTW.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

jones the whip wrote:I recommend you purchase what's known as a saddle dressing or saddle soap. It is an equestrian equipment product and any saddlery will stock it.
Of course there's always Picards leather dressing, I understand that it is good quality and many members of this forum swear by it.
Hope this helps.
JTW.
Hum, ok, thanks for the tip...
teko
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Just distressed mine alittle bit. NO seams were even touched. reason? well, I am getting a new LC jacket in abit and this Horsehide will not see much wear after I get it and it would take FOREVER to distress naturally. I've had it since summer 08 and not a scratch on it besides that it's just really broken in...that's all..so it's tuff...

well, here is it..

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss23 ... ressed.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

That's great work man and a superb jacket :clap: . Such perfect fit and specs THOSE POCKETS AND FLAPS ARE TO DIE FOR :clap: :clap: .
I'd be so tempted to go a bit further with the distressing but that's just me. It's difficult to know how easy it is to age the tougher hides, as you know the ABL distresses so nicely it's like painting a portrait.
That's easy to say when a jacket is simply on display, the way mine is.
Anyway, there is no doubt about it, that LC is one of the top three I have seen on this forum.
Keep up the good work Holt.
JTW. :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks! :TOH: to give you the truth I'm not too happy with this jacket. I could be happier with it if I picked another hide for it. It's just alittle too dark for LC, it is not that dark as you see in the picture (flash) and the distress is not that white looking. but the jacket is actually distressed more but you can't see it.

the pockets and flaps is my favorite feature on this jacket. they got it right on that one. they are placed 0.5'' to high up. it should be 2.5'' it's 3'' ah, well... the collar is very good. so are the straps and sleeves. and hemless bottom :D
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Here you can see her in almost her original color.
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

Do you know you've opened my eyes again, :o I've never noticed the seemless bottom to the LC jacket before. Well, I've only been studying it for two years #-o #-o !!
JTW.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

LOL. ;)
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Loved the jacket Holt...
amazing looking...
:)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here she is with full gear. Raiders gear.

flash

tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

Great pictures...
:tup:
jones the whip
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jones the whip »

It really is a fantastic jacket, but you know me...... if it were my property I'd go to town on it with a sanding block and a bucket of acetone :[
:D
JTW.