MKVII Web Repair

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

MKVII Web Repair

Post by Solent MKIII »

My buddies and I were just starting to film another sequence for our Indy-spoof last Friday when the effects of time and stress caught up to my MKVII. By the end of the second take, my bag was mysteriously hanging by one strap. Looking down, I could see that the ring had torn through the webbing like old paper - the dreaded dry rot had struck! Too tired after getting home, I just tossed everything into a pile for the time being. The next day, I inspected the damage.

The damaged web strap on the left - torn clean through. Seeing some fraying on the other strap and suspecting it was rotted as well, I removed it also. Holding the intact strap between my fingers and pressing the middle caused it to tear very easily, so out it went ( but don't throw it away yet! ).

Looking at the back, you can see how the webbing was folded over before stitching to the bag.

Unfolded, the strap is exactly the same width as the webbing on the original neck strap that came with the bag. You can use the original strap to make new ring holders, or pick up new webbing in the appropriate color. Be sure to check for dry rot in the original strap if you decide to use it. Mine was as tough as steel when I tried to tear and twist it apart, so all's good.

Cut a new section of webbing the same size as the unfolded original ( I cut mine just a hair longer for safety's sake ). Fold the material at an angle on the sides and the end over the ring, then clamp the sides with a pair of clothspins - fold and clamp the bottom edge as well ( check to make sure the dimensions match the original straps before proceeding. Next, sew small tack lines along the four folded edges. This keeps everthing in alignment before attaching to the bag, as well as holding the ring in place.

The completed web strap, tack-sewn and ready to go on the bag.

Success!! After clamping the top with some clothspins, I started at the bottom edge and worked my way around the perimeter. I double-stiched everything for strength - triple stiching below the ring, where the most stress would occur.

That's it! Hopefully this may come in handy to any of you who own an original bag and want to fix it. It's not too difficult - just takes a bit of time. :)
Last edited by Solent MKIII on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MKVII Web Repair

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Well done and even better that you could use the original strap for the replacement. Some have reinforced the cotton webbing with a piece of nylon webbing inside the folds.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

Yeah, nylon would work really well! I'll have to remember that for next time ( though hopefully, there won't BE a next time! :D ).
Tundrarider wrote:Wow, this is a great tutorial! Excellent pics and description!
Thanks! I didn't know if anyone had ever posted something like this before, and I was already taking pics for future reference ( just in case ).
Tundrarider wrote:p.s. Hopefully, this was just a nightmare and I still have them somewhere!
Here's hopin' you can locate your stash. [-o<
Last edited by Solent MKIII on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgalahad
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by tgalahad »

Same thing happened to me as I prepared for a trip. :(
I agree with Michael and Indiana Jeff, great pictures and suggestions for repair :tup:
Regards,
Tgalahad
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

What an excellent tutorial Solent :notworthy:

It just goes to prove that these bags ain't getting any younger,just like the rest of us :lol:

I have the detacable straps from a couple of MKVI bags I picked up the other month.
I'm going to put them in a very safe place just on the off chance I'll ever need them.
:TOH:
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Hello Solent MKIII, how long did the new strap piece last compared to the original?

Regards,
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

*Like* :)

Fascinating tutorial!
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Awesome tutorial. I had same happen to me. With my new bag I noticed the strap attachment canvas is VERY dry ....
If you wax the canvas attachment points with a waterproofing wax such as the Barbour one it really strengthens and protects them against exactly this issue.
themancalledhondo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by themancalledhondo »

Excellent tutorial. I will be working on this here soon as I've just noticed some fraying on my own bag. The bag has been hanging in the closet for a few years and I realized some practical use for it, but have been worried about wearing it now that the webbing is frayed.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

adiemilio wrote:Hello Solent MKIII, how long did the new strap piece last compared to the original?

Regards,
Sorry for the delay in answering ( haven't checked this thread in some time! ). No problems in the last 6+ years with fraying of any kind. The bag only sees use several times a year ( Halloween, movie screenings, etc. ), and has held up extremely well. :D
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

My apologies for the current lack of photos due to photobucket's new hosting policies. :x Been pretty busy as of late and haven't had time to get everything switched over to a new site, but until then I will glady forward pics of the repair process to anyone who's interested. :TOH:
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

Getting pics switched over to a new hosting site right now - fingers crossed. [-o<

UPDATE: Pics back up! :D