How many whipmakers?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

How many whipmakers?

Post by hit80s »

I remember in about 2003 or so I met in Sheridan WY with a whipmaker named Jim Hurlburt to pick up a stockwhip that i had him make for me. As I live in Billings MT as was heading that way.
So we had a nice visit and did some cracking. In conversation with with him (in 2003) he said (not including David Morgan) that there were only 2 fulltime whipmakers in the northern hemisphere. Hurlbert and Strain. If this was true at this time things have changed alot and the whip sport/hobby as grown alot in the last few years. What do you think? :-k
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: How many whipmakers?

Post by louiefoxx »

I seriously doubt that in 2003 there were only 2 in the northern hemisphere. Someone's full time job was/is banging out those 4 plait whips in mexico.

I think he may be overlooking people that make whips for "lifestyle" whip cracking. There are a lot of names that us in the sport cracking world never hear of because they make 2-3 foot whips...but they make a lot of them!

I think Vic Tella was fulltime whipmaker then. I also think Meagan Baldwin would have been a full time whipmaker at that point in time.

Another thing you've got to remember is that a lot of whip makers make them as part of a larger saddlery / tack business like Royce Vallejo. A great southern hemisphere example is Chris Barr who is one of the worlds top whipmakers...but also based on his website he makes and sells a lot of other tack type items. If he lived in the northern hemisphere would making reins, etc in addition to whips exclude him?

Also how you or Jim define "full time" makes a difference in the list of full time makers. If full time is 100% of your income that comes from whipmaking, then does selling books and DVD's (like strain and morgan do) exclude you?

If I recall Jim Hurlbut taught whipmaking classes and getting paid to teach whipmaking is like whipmaking...but it's not.

Honestly I think Jim was talking himself up when he told you there were only two full time makers and not really thinking about it.

That's just my opinion.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

louiefoxx wrote: Someone's full time job was/is banging out those 4 plait whips in mexico.
Then we should discern between full time professional whipmakers and full time crappy whipmakers!!! LOL

I am so ashamed that souvenir Mexican whips have made my country a "no-no", when it comes to whipmaking. Traditional Mexican whips are waaaay better than those crappy swivel wooden handled whips. :S

BTW, wasn't Paul (Nolan) already working full time in 2003? :-k

ATB,

Aldo.
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Aldo,

I don't know why Paul Nolan would have skipped my mind, but I think he was full time then...and Paul would have been on Jim Hurlbut's "radar" as well.

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
hit80s
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by hit80s »

Come to think of it on a side note Jim Hurlbert has dissapered, Anyone know what happened to him ?
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Marhala wrote:
louiefoxx wrote: Someone's full time job was/is banging out those 4 plait whips in mexico.
Then we should discern between full time professional whipmakers and full time crappy whipmakers!!! LOL

I am so ashamed that souvenir Mexican whips have made my country a "no-no", when it comes to whipmaking. Traditional Mexican whips are waaaay better than those crappy swivel wooden handled whips. :S

BTW, wasn't Paul (Nolan) already working full time in 2003? :-k

ATB,

Aldo.
You know I still have a 16ft swivel handle that used to swing on when I was 15 (now 39) and it is still together..... well that minus the 3 ft the broke from swinging on it.. :lol:

Crack On! :whip:
Allen