A first for me...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Re: A first for me...

Post by Indydawg »

I think there's a lot to be said for not knowing the meaning of the word "quit."
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Beautiful jacket! Sort of makes up for the meal you bought for Neil.

Inspirational story on your accident and recovery. I've heard bits and pieces of it during my time here, but never in that detail. Sort of makes my "This one time I had this hang-nail" story pale in comparison.

Best regards to you, Sarge and Roz!

Indiana Jeff
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Kelly wrote: The jacket is phenomenal! I love it! Makes his butt look cute!
I want to see that, I need proof! :D ;)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

SpeedRcrX wrote:
Kelly wrote: The jacket is phenomenal! I love it! Makes his butt look cute!
I want to see that, I need proof! :D ;)
Cheeky!!

Ian
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

:TOH:

I appreciate the sentiments, but I'm not brave. I just don't know any better?
I think that is the definition of courage. Fighting against odds for something of value without thinking about it. :TOH:

Travis
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Very well said :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

;)
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Michaelson wrote:Image

;)
WOW That Striated Lamb looks so good! Makes me proud to be a member of COW!!
Sarge
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Is she dry yet?

Ian
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'm sure word will make it over there...
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

...I'm almost afraid to ask....FandG? (_ edited after I finished posting)

Ian
Last edited by Ian on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The picture referenced above shows the name of a website.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

A first for me...

Post by djd »

Well done Todd . Good man :)

FandG = fortune and glory org. I stop by every now and then.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Lets just make sure we don't sink to their level. And keep talk about here. (Banned member rule and all ;) )

They want nothing to do with us, but continually try to get back in, or make use of proxies, and post things like that knowing links to photos are posted here. Accounts will be deleted shortly so most of the offending pics will be gone with them. Unfortunately, so will some information.

But oh well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Especially when they gave permission for COW to use images etc. in registration:
You agree that “Club Obi-Wan” has the right to remove, edit, move, use, or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have posted to being stored in a database.
That said, following the directive of the webmaster.....back to the topic of _'s beautiful jacket....

Regards! Michaelson
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Have you put the 'Jean luc' on yet?

:lol:

Ian
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

_, don't make us wait longer, we're losing our patience.... ;)
I want to know! I want to know how it looks :lol: !
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

_ wrote:On topic though? She arrived this morning. Fit is perfect. Threw her in the wash. Cold water. She's going to air dry. Don't want to lose any size.

Before

After same spot
Was the distressing done before or after the wash? And is that a shot (the second one) of it dry? Looks dry in that one, so that's why I ask.

Sarge, can people expect these results with their jackets and if so have you thought about giving them a wash treatment before assembly or even after?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

From how I've read things, Raider, all _ did was wash the jacket. There was no 'distressing' performed per-se. This was all done with water.

I also think that anyone who WANTS this to appear in their jackets could just do what _ did, or take a long walk in a steady rain. It should naturally pop out on its own. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And the second picture is of it still at least partially wet since it wasn't until a later post that _ said he tried it on still damp.

EDIT: Typing at the same time.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

It just seems like the high points or the top of the bumps have been distressed as there is a change in color and looks sanded. I'm speaking mostly about the top of the sleeve. I should have made my original post clearer.

EDIT: I've done a little distressing on one of my jackets lately so that's what has my interest.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I see what you're referring to. I bet that occured during the spin cycle. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I do have a question with the washing technique, _ you can probably answer. So when you throw this in the washer, does the lining at shrink a tad or anything like that? I'm debating doing this to a few jackets, but worry about the liner really. :-k
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Thanks for the replies. If this is how all this leather responds to water and a spin they really should think about a "factory" treatment. It may add some cost to the process but would be a huge hit.

About the lining, the one time I washed a jacket (USW goat, btw) I managed to rip the lining in the washer. Fixed it with duct tape.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True, but it may increase the cost as well, as it would be one additional procedure that would have to be performed before manufacture.....then again it may not add a thing to the cost. Who knows? :-k

The only jacket I ever washed was a Wested lambskin that came from a house of a smoker. My problem was reversed, though. The leather shrank, where the lining did not. I was able to stretch it back out, but it was a bit disconcerting when it first came out of the machine. :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Did you lose any sleeve length?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, about an inch, but while it was still wet, I stretched it back out and let it air dry.

Took about 2 days to fully dry out hanging outside in the sun, and fortunately the sleeves stayed that length.

Regards! Michaelson
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

How bout you _? Any shrinkage? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Whoops. :oops: :CR:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re:

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hollowpond wrote:How bout you _? Any shrinkage? :lol:

He was in the pool!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Too easy! :lol: And its Hollowpond with the assist...
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

Why would we ? You just threw a CUSTOM USW in the washer as soon as you got it ...

TMFR :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:

Errr. uh hummmm. :[

No, why indeed? :CR:
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Sorry _, I just do not like it washed. It looked better the other way. I quess its me, I just do not like lamb(aside from the oven)!

Cheers
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I did follow _'s washing directions with my G & B goat (although I don't recall the caveat about the kind of machine to use. [-X Geeze, NOW you tell me!) after I'd had it about a year. Took a bit of the shine off, but nothing beyond that - no shrink, no eye-popping grain changes...

Further evidence of how nearly bullet-proof (and perhaps fool-proof) those jackets are. :)

LJ
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

_ wrote:Let’s see…

The first leather jacket I ever owned was given to me by my grandpappy. He bought it for – like - $7 in 1925 when he was 25. It was a Schott jacket and he bought it at an Ace hardware store in Chicago. He gave it to me in 1985 during an Easter break visit. It was a cool jacket – zips on the hand warmers and a chest pocket, and horn buttons and a belt. A lot like a Surrogates jacket in general pattern. Six month later he passed away.

I wore it always.

Two years later, the car I was driving was hit head-on by a drunk driver. I’ll give you the good gore – skip it if you like…

The last thing I remember was leaving school In Bellingham Washington – in early April. The next thing I remember I was waking up in recovery at Swedish Hospital in Seattle – in late May.

I was driving a 1982 Toyota Starlet. The guy who hit me was in a 1968 Cougar. He won. He drove through the left front quarter panel and directly through my left leg – which was apparently extended pressing the clutch. The car was thrown 60 feet into the woods alongside the road. They never did find the lower half of the engine.

He was driving one car, and he had friends in a car following him. They all got in the second car and went back to the bar and kept drinking. He called the police and reported that his car had been stolen. Meanwhile, I was unconscious in my car – 60 feet off the road in the woods.

I was getting ready for a power lifting meet. I had just squatted 835lbs that week. My waist was 34” and my thighs were each 38”. He drove right into my left leg extended into the clutch. My left femur literally exploded. Ten inches of it turned into powder.

Six hours later, a Pierce County deputy spotted the deserted Cougar and then found me. He thought I was dead. Apparently I was a little delirious though – I apparently started swinging and tried to get out of the car. As I had no femur? I collapsed and passed out. The deputy told me this six weeks later at Swedish. I guess I scared the #### out of him?

So, after they found me, I was taken to Good Samaritan hospital in Puyallup Washington. They stabilized me and put my leg into traction. Traction was a big frame that locked my lower leg in place with my upper leg and body through a series of screws that were run into holes drilled into my bones. They put me on a wide-open morphine drip and told my folks the only option was amputation, as there was nothing to “set.”

My dad asked for a second opinion. Dr. Lawrence Holland at Swedish Trauma Center was willing to give us one. I was his second guinea pig for what is now a pretty common fix. Swedish apparently was the place this was developed and perfected. The procedure was as follows. A series of muscles and nerves along the outside of my leg would be sacrificed. This was necessary in order to put a straight stainless steel tube through the upper femur and into the lower femur. This rod contained a titanium honeycomb insert that contained cadaver bone in order to create marrow. More cadaver bone was secured to the outside of the rod to attract the bone fragments floating in my leg. The rod was secured by two screws by my knee and one at the top. Over time, the fragments and cadaver bone would reform the femur.

Today, these rods are cork-screw shaped – not straight. This advancement allows them to not sacrifice the muscles and nerves mentioned before. The sacrifice of these things is why I have chronic and constant pain today. But then it was a choice between that or no leg.

The operation was done. It was a success. I never even needed a cast – I used crutches for a few days, but I was walking on it.

A year later, they removed the screws. Two years later they removed the rest. I am now metal free, but I have great scars. I did keep the screws. I gave the rod to another surgeon friend who does this operation today. He studied under Dr. Holland and just happened to be at Swedish when I was a patient. We met 20 years later.

What does this have to do with a jacket?

After all of this drama, I think the part that broke my heart was that they cut my grandpappy’s jacket off of me in the emergency room… Idiots…

I know this post goes back a page or two here but it is hard to keep up sometimes....

Anyway I wanted to thank you for sharing this story. Honestly I have been thinking about it since I read it. The thought that someone would hit someone head on and then leave them to die to me is beyond despicable. Jackets aside, this story is a stunner.

One thing I wondered since you said it was your good physical shape that saved you.... if you were wearing your grandpappy's jacket, I assume he was a similar size. Does weight training run in your family? Anyway I am glad you survived and I can see why this new jacket is especially meaningful.
best
G
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

He just did a different kind of weight training. ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Ditto on my reaction to your story, _. Really remarkable. So you grew a new femur from the cadaver bone fragments? That's pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

_ wrote:
When I was waking up in recovery I grabbed the overhead bar. When I did this, a bone in the middle if my wrist stuck straight out. It was broken but nobody knew it. They later went in and rebroke it, cleaned out a bunch if calcium spurs, and set it.
That is sick. You're like Wolverine, dude.

Geez, and I complain about going to the dentist...
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

No, he is not Wolverine, He is still our Dark Knight!! :notworthy:

He loves the smell of Nappon in the morning :D
Last edited by Gringo on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

_ wrote:
I woke up in my room - ticked off at the world. I remember being just fxxxgxn mad. I was going to get up and I was leaving.

I ripped the catheter out of my - well. And alarms went off. I swung my fresh new leg over to get out of bed, and Leslie came in and ran into it.

I remember HOWLING in pain. And I decked her. Orderly's came in. I felt a needle stick. And I was out....
You're not making yourself sound any less like Wolverine.

Sounds like quite an ordeal. It would take a strong person to survive any of this.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Okay, I'm putting the secret out there. _ is a big Winnie the Pooh. Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff. :lol: ;)
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Pretty interesting seeing Bink's avatar right now and Kelly's back to back. Can almost hear the pipe organ.....

Oh, _, you wouldn't still have Grandpa's kettlebells would you? I'd love to find an old vintage set.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

At least it is in the Halloween spirit...
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

If I read between the lines of Bink and Kelly, that means he is as cute as a viper/rattlesnake? :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

_.

your before /after picture may have been what I have been waiting for. I just LOVE it. how does it feel now after you did this? has it shrunken any? does it feel abit dry and stiff? probably needs some pecards.

how does the skin feel in general?

anyways, your jacket is freakin cool. I mean amazing!

wear it and beat it to ####.

Sarge, I think I may go for this, Ill let you know soon :TOH: