Adventurebilt Status Update Anyone?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Adventurebilt Status Update Anyone?

Post by sithspawn »

swisslet wrote:
Graeme wrote:Adventurebilt Deluxe update here.

Myself and my brother ordered a couple of hats of Marc in the spring or early summer of 2008. I just had an email off Marc that mine is ready, and my brother's is next in the queue.
Another ABD update here. I ordered on 7th July 2008 and have just heard from Stefan that I'm up next. I'm VERY excited now!
WOW! :o Long wait. I had ordered a AB deluxe June 23, 2008. I imagine if I hadn't lucked into Steve's special CS liner hat a year later I'd still be waiting. I ended up canceling the ABD order and getting a refund to pay for it. I believe there was only a $50 price difference. And it was within a week of the 1 year anniversery. Not only did I get an AB, but it was made with leftover materials used on the production hats. Talk about LUCK. ;)
Speedster
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Speedster »

And one more ABD update.

I ordered mine in May 2008 and received a mail from Marc 14 days ago that work on mine was about to start. I'm very exited too.

René
swisslet
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by swisslet »

sithspawn wrote:
swisslet wrote:
Graeme wrote:
WOW! :o Long wait.
Yeah, but patience is a virtue, right? I always knew I'd have to wait (what with the film coming out and so on). I thought 18 months when I placed the order, but by the time that came and went, what were another few months more for a handmade hat from a real craftsman?
My Fed IV's still going okay, so..... The wait is all part and parcel of owning an AB for most people. I'm sure it will be totally worthwhile.

Having said that, it does sound like you lucked out indeed!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

IndianaChris711 wrote:I don't think Steve send you an e-mail when your hat goes out, he is pretty busy and gets a lot of e-mails in a week, let alone a day. If your really worried that he did not get it, I would send another and put URGENT in the header, usually he will see these. I made an order change to my hat, instead of a Raiders hat I wanted a CS hat instead, I have too many Raiders hats and wanted something different. As far as where he is on the list, I have no idea. I know I placed my order in Jan. 2008 but I have received no hat yet, it did take me a while though to get the money to him cause I paid by check, so I am not sure if that may have placed me further back. I guess when it hits 3 years then I will contact Steve, but until then you just have to have patience.

IndianaChris

I think everyone puts URGENT in the subject line now.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: I bet you're right, John!

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Try FREE BEER and see what that does. :lol:
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Hmmm, I placed my order in February of 2008. Should I be worried and maybe send Steve an "urgent" email?
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Chewie Louie wrote:Hmmm, I placed my order in February of 2008. Should I be worried and maybe send Steve an "urgent" email?
I don't know I know I ordered mine in Jan 2008 and no hat yet. I have no idea where Steve is at, I heard he was starting on some of the Jan 2008 orders but was still working on the Dec./Nov. 2007 orders. I know there is quite a bit of orders in those two months in 2007. Again I have no idea where he is at right now, only Steve (Fedora) would know. Maybe try putting FREE BEER in the subject line, sure would get my attention. :lol:

IndianaChris
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Try FREE BEER and see what that does. :lol:
You'd probably do better with "FREE VACATION " ;)
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Has any member gotten theirs lately?
sphughes
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by sphughes »

12-07 here and waiting patiently as usual. I have found if I buy something special it keeps my mind off the AB that is coming. In 08 I bought new golf clubs, in 09 I bought a new Harley and this year I bought myself a Big Green Egg. Keeps my mind of the hat and if worse comes to worse, I am sure there is something I can buy to get me through the first part of next year.

-Scott
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

sphughes wrote:12-07 here and waiting patiently as usual. I have found if I buy something special it keeps my mind off the AB that is coming. In 08 I bought new golf clubs, in 09 I bought a new Harley and this year I bought myself a Big Green Egg. Keeps my mind of the hat and if worse comes to worse, I am sure there is something I can buy to get me through the first part of next year.

-Scott
If you find yourself completely consumed with your new hat, once you get it, and you feel you are ignoring your other toys, you can send the Harley and the Big Green Egg my way. I will properly care for them and give them the attention they deserve. ;)
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Nov 2007 (second half) here...still waiting. Interestingly, I had mail from Randall Made Knives just last week, informing me my order due Dec of this year would be an additional two months. I placed that order about 5 years ago...they had forecast a five year wait and look to be coming in pretty close. I'm hoping my AB doesn't top that wait! :lol:
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Randall Made Knives. I ordered two (Airman's & Survival) about twenty-five years ago. At that time ordering was approximately two years. Almost as long as some hats. Excellent knives. They're still good.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

This will be my third Halloween with a crummy hat. I think I'm starting to lose it.
S William
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by S William »

In 11 days (Nov 3, 2010) It will be 3 years since I've ordered my Adventurebilt hat. I last heard from Steve on March 8, 2010, and he said my order was still intact, yet four months earlier (Dec, 09), he said my order was within eyesight. Its funny how some hats ordered in 2008* have been delivered already, whatever happened to first come first serve? I hope those who paid the lower prices aren't being put on hold for the ones who spent more on their hats. We were the FIRST in line and can't help the fact that we bought when the demand and cost were lower .

S William

P.S. *Sorry, I missed the fact that the Adventurebilts above ordered in 2008 were Deluxes from Marc Kidder, and not Steve.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Please try reading first.

steve is working a full work week filling orders. I am waiting along side you in line for a hat (2 hats in fact) . People who are paying the new price are being worked on the weekends/ Steve's time. My understanding is he doesn't get many new orders and they are worked on steves free time. His work week is full with him hard at work trying to cut down that Hugh list.

I hope this was helpful to you.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Ditto Oak. I think I ordered my brown and gray CS the same month (Oct. '08).

Steve's buried. I'm willing to bet his blocks are never without a hat body on them. He's one guy in a sea of felt!!!!!
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

three years is close to a lifetime. I can appreciate Steve's dilemma, but we also paid what at the time was the full price. It might be easier on all of us, including Steve, if he let those who paid the current price wait in line like the rest of us. Like us, they're after the hat, and the hat comes with a wait. Good luck to Steve, and to all of us.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Kim Hoffman wrote:three years is close to a lifetime. I can appreciate Steve's dilemma, but we also paid what at the time was the full price. It might be easier on all of us, including Steve, if he let those who paid the current price wait in line like the rest of us. Like us, they're after the hat, and the hat comes with a wait. Good luck to Steve, and to all of us.
The work on the $650 hats doesn't have any effect on the wait list for everyone else though. Steve works on his "day off" to do those hats. As John notes above, he's working on his "free time" to get those hats done.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Kim Hoffman wrote:three years is close to a lifetime. I can appreciate Steve's dilemma, but we also paid what at the time was the full price. It might be easier on all of us, including Steve, if he let those who paid the current price wait in line like the rest of us. Like us, they're after the hat, and the hat comes with a wait. Good luck to Steve, and to all of us.

Come on, you can't tell a man what to do on his free time. This doesn't effect anyones waiting time. I'm in the same boat as everyone else. people knew going in that there is a big wait time when ordering a hat from the man who made the hats for Indy. That's a price you pay. He doesn't get a lot of orders at the new price.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I can understand the frustration that some may feel, but I waited for one and as soon as I got it, I ordered another and got back in line. When you are ordering a handmade item from a one man operation, you are fooling yourself if you think that there won't be a wait and that the wait won't be affected by any outside circumstances. Lets face it, even though these hats are one of the finest hats we will ever own, the reason everyone went crazy for them is because of the movie. You want a movie hat, you gotta pay (and by that I mean that time is money). Steve gave these hats away for a long time, practically selling them at cost. And as far as his free time goes...well, how would you feel if your boss asked you to work on your free time and didn't compensate you for it. You would do it, but at a cost and you'd make sure it wouln't affect your regular work. That is all Steve is doing here. His new orders don't affect any outstanding orders. Is three years a long time? Sure, but we knew what we were getting into ordering these hats. Anyone who complains that they weren't told or weren't expecting this is simply unreasonable. You make a hat as great as this and as famous as this and get 'em out quicker! No inflation at AB. They won't crank out more hats just because there is the demand. Each one is what it is and they won't budge. That is what makes Steve and Marc, as well as John, great hatters.

Dave
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Yep. Time-and-a-half on Saturday. Double-time on Sunday. Not everyone gets that, but everyone deserves it!

Ya know, I'd bet if you sent Steve an extra $400, he'd make yours on Sunday! But I might lose that bet.

Waiting is the hardest part. :D
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

If you don't like it, ask for a refund and cancel your order. Steve has thrown this option up on the boards more than once. And for the record, I have been waiting 2 1/2 years for my third AB, and you know what, I'll just keep waiting for it until it's done and delivered.

Hey Steve, just keep makin' them hats the way you know they should be made, quality before quantity. :TOH:
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I've been waiting 28 months. I'm just behind you. I have been considering asking for a refund. The tone of your reply suggests that you're taking my comment personally. Take a breath...

I paid what was full price 28 months ago. I was never given a estimated time of delivery. Frankly, had I been told that it would be an indeterminate wait I would not have placed an order. While following this forum, I've read quite a few posts concerning the waiting period. Recently, one individual wrote that he's pushing three years. Simultaneously, I have read that customers who have paid the newer, higher, price are receiving their hats within six or so weeks. I appreciate that Steve may feel he should compensate for the higher price, but perhaps he could do so by letting them wait half of our waiting time, say, 18 months? They aren't paying that much more than we did. And if you factor in the time spent anticipating the deliveries of the hat's we've ordered, then surely that time has increased the original price.

I don't distrust Steve, nor state this with any ill feelings. But Steve is clearly overwhelmed by his orders. He has my sympathy and my best wishes. The question for me is how much more time should I invest in my order?
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I've been waiting 28 months. I'm just behind you. I have been considering asking for a refund. The tone of your reply suggests that you're taking my comment personally. Take a breath...

I paid what was full price 28 months ago. I was never given a estimated time of delivery. Frankly, had I been told that it would be an indeterminate wait I would not have placed an order. While following this forum, I've read quite a few posts concerning the waiting period. Recently, one individual wrote that he's pushing three years. Simultaneously, I have read that customers who have paid the newer, higher, price are receiving their hats within six or so weeks. I appreciate that Steve may feel he should compensate for the higher price, but perhaps he could do so by letting them wait half of our waiting time, say, 18 months? They aren't paying that much more than we did. And if you factor in the time spent anticipating the deliveries of the hat's we've ordered, then surely that time has increased the original price.

I don't distrust Steve, nor state this with any ill feelings. But Steve is clearly overwhelmed by his orders. He has my sympathy and my best wishes. The question for me is how much more time should I invest in my order?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You are talking a hand full of hats he works on his free time. You can not demand what he does on his free time.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

The bottom line is that the hats that Steve makes for the $650 price are, as John says, both few and far between, and NOT affecting the lead time for everyone else.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Kim Hoffman wrote:I've been waiting 28 months. I'm just behind you. I have been considering asking for a refund. The tone of your reply suggests that you're taking my comment personally. Take a breath...

I say, ask for a refund then...we'll all get our hats faster and get to enjoy them for the rest of our lives while you get your $250 back. But, then again, what do I know.

Dave
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Kim Hoffman wrote: They aren't paying that much more than we did.
I would guess if you send Steve an extra $400 you could have your hat in 6-8 weeks.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

If Steve put the new orders on the bottom of the list, then he could justify taking Saturday off! He'd probably like that. And nobody would get a hat any sooner. So let's be careful what we ask for!

I thought the price increase was mainly to stem the tide of orders, just so he could see the light at the end of the tunnel. In addition to the 'market' price of the hat increasing, if you pay the higher price, you are also buying time.

He knows what he has to do, and he already feels enough pressure when he reads these threads. Not that anybody means to be rude by discussing the wait times, but the long wait is built in to an order like this, just like custom knives or anything else.

But he's explained all this himself here before. We all know it, and most are still willing to wait. Read his posts, or talk to him about it, I guess. I'd be very hesitant to cancel an order after already getting relatively close to finally getting the hat.
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

I guess the point everyone is making is that Steve Delk is his own man. He can do what he wants with his time both on and off and his business. The key point here is that you were aware that there was a wait time. Whether that time was specifically stated or not is irrelevant. Your impatience with the wait whether it is 3 years or 6 months will not change how Steve operates.

You are given options, cancel or continue to wait. If you are 2 1/2 years into the wait my suggestion would be to go the distance and wait for this hat. I own one and I promise you it is worth every penny and every minute and all of the hype. Something to consider is that while you have been waiting Steve has probably found numerous new and improved methods of making his hats and you will therefore get the very best he has ever offered. :TOH:

Beaverlid
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Beaverlid,

You bring up a good point. Steve has comment repeatedly that he cringes when he gets hats he made a few years ago back for reblocks. His techniques have only gotten better with time.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

The point of this particular forum is the status of Adventurebilt hats. Everyone here is waiting for theirs. It is relevant as to whether or not we have some idea as to where we stand as to our orders. That is only fair, considering that we paid our money to get in line. My concern is this: I have no idea when to expect the hat I paid for. None of us here at this site seem to know. And I would wager than everyone here who has been waiting any significant amount of time must feel some, at least a little, resentment when a new customer receives a hat. That would only be natural.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

The point of this particular forum is the status of Adventurebilt hats. Everyone here is waiting for theirs. It is relevant as to whether or not we have some idea as to where we stand as to our orders. That is only fair, considering that we paid our money to get in line. My concern is this: I have no idea when to expect the hat I paid for. None of us here at this site seem to know. And I would wager than everyone here who has been waiting any significant amount of time must feel some, at least a little, resentment when a new customer receives a hat. That would only be natural.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

The point of this particular forum is the status of Adventurebilt hats. Everyone here is waiting for theirs. It is relevant as to whether or not we have some idea as to where we stand as to our orders. That is only fair, considering that we paid our money to get in line. My concern is this: I have no idea when to expect the hat I paid for. None of us here at this site seem to know. I would also wager that everyone here who has been waiting any significant amount of time must feel at least a little twinge of resentment when a newer customer receives a hat. That would only be natural.

I have not told Steve what to do with his time or his business. Anything I've posted here suggesting as much was meant to be taken figuratively. I've had little contact with Steve. I would agree that Steve is his own man, as we are all. If I were to suggest anything to him it would be that he take and enjoy his days-off.

As to my canceling my order, I'm uncertain at this point as to whether or not it would speed up anyone else's order.

My observations here are premised on the various posts at this site. I had no idea that Steve had even raised his prices until I read it here; I had no idea that he was working during his time off to fill his higher priced orders until I read it here. Personally, I think Steve is a remarkable individual. I also think of him as an artist - I truly want one of his hats. The question I've raised here does not concern his character; but has been one only of time - how long will it take an order to be filled?
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I think raising the question here is fine. But if you're really looking for an answer, and not just discussion, you'd really have to ask him that question. Your level satisfaction with his answer can then lead you to cancel your order or wait.

Although we're all in the same boat as customers, it's probably best to ask those specific questions directly to him instead on the forum-that is if you want specific answers, and not just a discussion. I personally just check to see when people get their hats here. That's sort of the purpose of the thread, I think.

If someone who ordered after me get's their hat before me, I can only assume that there are good reasons for that. I always imagine the more rare sizes getting ahead a little to keep bodies on the blocks. But he can still only finish one at a time. Only he knows the variables.

You have a legitimate question, but if you really want to pin him down on how much longer, you gotta ask the man. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious too, but I'm fortunate to have some other great hats while I wait.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Steve posted to this very thread back in March. He's had a few health issues in the interim, but here's word from the horse's mouth.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Fedora wrote:
Well, keep in mind, we aren't his ONLY customers out here. He received hundreds of orders through his website from all over the world, and from other venues. We just got the special deal at the time due to being 'COW' members, and that, of course, skyrocketed
I seldom visit this thread. Mostly because it makes me even more stressed. :lol:

As most know, my involvement in Indy 4 drew alot of attention, from all over the world. And alot of folks bought hats. This occured from Aug 07 and ended when I went up in price in the early summer of 08. Oh, I still sold hats but it dropped down to a couple scores a month, where up until then I was selling hundreds a month.

Many here bought hats after they heard of me in Indy 4. But many, many more who were not members here also bought hats. And they bought many more than the members here. I am always glad when I run into a name that I know is from here. :D

I have been wading through this surge of orders since late 07. Hindsight is always 20/20 and if I could do it over, I would have went up to 650.00 at that time. Instead, I sold many hats here for the 225 price and others at the 250 price. Every hat I have made has been one at that low price. :lol:

Anyways, I appreciate the patience most have given. And all will recieve the hat they ordered, so not to worry about that. I made a big mistake in pricing and me along with you are suffering because of this error in judgement. At the time, I still had the hobby mindset, and wanted to give everyone a bargain. That is how I ran my hobby.

All I can say is I ship out 15 hats per week. And have done so for a long time. And if Indy 5 happens, I won't find myself in this position again. It really isn't fun being a popular hatter. Especially one who priced his wares too low for too long. But I learned from this experience if that is worth anything.

I guess the long wait will be worth it. But probably only for the ones that are keen on owning a hat just like Indy wore in the last film. Being a fan myself, I would wait for one, although I would also be somewhat impatient as well. That is just so natural. So, again thanks for the extreme patience and I guarantee you will have this hat. I feel pretty strongly that I will have almost all of the orders filled this year. It looks that way from the count. Good lord willing, and the health stays good. Fedora
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

It does look like I'm waiting afterall. & I appreciate the work Steve Delk does, as well as his acomplishments - which are remarkable. This particular sub-forum lends itself to venting. I took advanatge of it. It may have something to do with turning 59. Or maybe just waiting.
Good luck to us all.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Kim Hoffman wrote:It does look like I'm waiting afterall. & I appreciate the work Steve Delk does, as well as his acomplishments - which are remarkable. This particular sub-forum lends itself to venting. I took advanatge of it. It may have something to do with turning 59. Or maybe just waiting.
Good luck to us all.
Hey look on the bright side, maybe by the time you get your hat, you'll be old enough to play Indy in part V.
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

Hello.
Which is the time of wait for a change of sweat band or a reblock of a hat of 650 $?
Has someone done it?.
And has result been good?.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I believe that Steve has a different time table set up for reblocks. He has said in the past that he tries to get those out in a timely manner. Asking him would give you a ballpark estimate.

Dave
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Kim Hoffman wrote:Randall Made Knives. I ordered two (Airman's & Survival) about twenty-five years ago. At that time ordering was approximately two years. Almost as long as some hats. Excellent knives. They're still good.
When I ordered my knife back in Dec 2005, the wait was forecast at five years and customers were limited to ordering two per month. The wait has increased and I believe you can now only place one order every three months. I believe this is directly attributable to people buying knives at regular intervals to resell on ebay at a profit.
tapon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tapon »

DR Ulloa wrote:I believe that Steve has a different time table set up for reblocks. He has said in the past that he tries to get those out in a timely manner. Asking him would give you a ballpark estimate.

Dave
Thank you for your attention. O:)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

tapon wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:I believe that Steve has a different time table set up for reblocks. He has said in the past that he tries to get those out in a timely manner. Asking him would give you a ballpark estimate.

Dave
Thank you for your attention. O:)
:TOH:

Dave
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

"When I ordered my knife back in Dec 2005, the wait was forecast at five years and customers were limited to ordering two per month. The wait has increased and I believe you can now only place one order every three months. I believe this is directly attributable to people buying knives at regular intervals to resell on ebay at a profit."

That was aproblem 25 years ago, but I'm sure it's more of a problem now. There used to be a guy in Solvang, California, who sold RandallMade Knifes. All types. Which you could purchase and receive within a few days. But at nearly twice the price. Now with online marketing Randall must be pretty #### busy. What model did you purchase?

The first one I ever saw was at the NCO club in Cam Rahn Bay. A Special Forces officer, a Captain, had one - the Survival model, with the hollow handle. Pre-Rambo. He showed it to me. I swore I would get one. But itwan't until I read an interview with the authors James Jones, who mentioned owning a few Randall's, that I remembered I had to have one. A good - a great - knife is necessary. Like a hat...
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

I ordered the Model #25 Trapper, with the 6" blade option, stainless steel, the @25 handle, Nickel Silver Hilt with Aluminum Butt and a Nickel Silver Butt cap. Looking at my delayed shipment notice I received at the beginning of October, I guess I didn't order it until March of 2006...a couple months later than I thought. Scheduled for February 2011 delivery. I originally ordered it as a hunting knife...now I'm not so sure it won't just become a collectable that I hand down to my son someday...

I did just part with several vintage brown fedoras...there's plenty of room on the shelf now for the AB...maybe that will be good juju...
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Recent photo of me waiting for my AB.

HerbertJohnsonFan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HerbertJohnsonFan »

Wow... lol! I was feeling that way once... then I realized that the time frame in which I wanted the AB, and the actual time frame that I was going to get it were going to be veeeeery different. ](*,)

But thats ok. It led to me getting HJ, and I am loving it! :D
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I agree that, if you get in line for an AB, you gotta know you're in for a long wait. Pure and simple. If you can't deal with that, stay off the line.

However, I think a lot of customer anxiety could be avoided if Steve did what John Penman does. Every once in a while, put up a brief post announcing where he is in the regular order pile and the reblock/repair pile, and maybe a general info update post if needs be. It would take five minutes out of every month in his life, and it would be very well spent in the long run. As it stands, by knowing nothing regarding his progress, a customer does not know when/if to be worried that his order was lost in shipping, or even accidentally missed. A small light at the end of the tunnel does wonders.

The other thing is, people always say that if you have a question, ask Steve. But they also say, Steve is too swamped to answer emails or phone calls. So, you're trapped. How do get information, when even the methods Steve advises does not work? It all comes down to communication. I truly believe that many of Steve's worries, and those of his customers, would evaporate with a few extra minutes work each month to communicate more on a mass scale (rather than the tedium of individual replies, except where unavoidable). Even if it meant he shipped 14 hats a week instead of 15, I think customers would see the peace of mind as worth it.

Just my 3.5 cents. For those who wonder; no, I'm not waiting for a hat from Steve. Wish I was. But I know myself well enough - I could not take the current wait situation. I really do want one more... someday. And the wait will be worth it.