Has anyone actually ever used a bullwhip for protection?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Has anyone actually ever used a bullwhip for protection?

Post by WhipDude »

:lol: This is what I'm talking about _. Now we've given him some legitimate information. I'm not sure if he/she knew this information because I didn't. Now we've possibly established what we mean by protection. Protection only being the extent of noise. The bell sounds like a better idea as it doesn't require room to crack nor can it tangle. Others here have also mentioned a gun despite being illegal. I'm sure we can both admit here that his best option is to get legal advice locally on what his options are. COW isn't the best place for such advice. The law can be a rather complicated thing.

Really if bears are a concern anyway...why hike in the area? Don't take the risks if the area is known for having many wild dangerous animals.

Here's a link to some news that just occurred this year a couple months back. Perfect example on using a gun and how the law can be complicated.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... ional-park
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

_ wrote:Legally - especially on federal land - your protection is limited to making noise. Period. Endless trips into the north cascades with guides - they wear a bell on their belt and they carry a whip. Both to make noise. Again - that is all you legally get.

The 10mm I carry. Completely and totally illegal. In fact, the initial reason I used an alias on Indyfan was a question having to do with this exact topic back in 1998? It's a felony. Of course if it is a choice between getting eaten?
In the county I live in (in the Cascade foothills), it is legal for me to kill a bear on my private property if attacks someone, or damages "my crops"....

8-[]

Of course, as a foreigner I'm not allowed to own a firearm here either, because a new federal law requires disclosure of any criminal history in processing a permit only to law enforcement officers, and Washington's laws say that it must be disclosed to the state government, which violates federal law.... but that's another story.

Perhaps my Rook COW replica Webley will scare any bears that see it?

:whip:
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

2 weeks on the Kamchatka peninsula in late September-early October 2011 should provide me an opportunity to see some of the world's largest brown bears... from a safe distance, I hope. :Plymouth:
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I said, "hypothetically." I'm really just trying to get a feel for the preferred length of a bullwhip withouth having to scour every page. :P
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Same here, 8 foot works best for me, I have a 2', 6' 8' and a 10. the two foot packs easy but I hit my arm all the time, the 10 is just to long for me to be fast. As I've said before, I live in Kansas, so the crack of a whip will scare off a stray member of the dog family, and my big iron will turn them inside out. :TOH:
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

_ wrote:
that_dog wrote:2 weeks on the Kamchatka peninsula in late September-early October 2011 should provide me an opportunity to see some of the world's largest brown bears... from a safe distance, I hope. :Plymouth:
Seriously? Oh, man... That is a dream trip for me. I spent a few days there back in 1985. I love Alaska. My ex-brother-in-law and I and a couple if his uncles have talked about a 2-week guys-only getaway northeast of the peninsula, as one of them has a cabin. Next summer may be the year we do it as the stars seem to be lining up.

If you're looking for the largest, fiercest, most beautiful bears in the world - that is the destination. I am envious, my friend. Take. Lot of pictures and PLEASE share.

I could seriously lose myself up there. :TOH:
Yep, 10 days fishing for Russian steelhead fresh up from the Sea of Okhotsk. Can't wait. Kamchatka is one of the last remaining wildernesses; like Alaska, but with fewer people and much less development.

The only downside is the travel -- you used to be able to fly to Petropavlovsk from Anchorage, but not anymore. So I have to fly from my home in NoCal to Moscow, then Moscow to Petropavlovsk, then two helicopter flights to camp -- basically 2/3 of the way around the world. I hope the fishing is good, it's a #### of a long way to go for a skunking. :shock:
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

It seems like 8 ft. is the preferred length. What are the pros and cons of a 10-footer?

(Or, if someone wants to direct me to the appropriate thread, that's cool, too!).
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

afrayedknot wrote:It seems like 8 ft. is the preferred length. What are the pros and cons of a 10-footer?

(Or, if someone wants to direct me to the appropriate thread, that's cool, too!).
There are answers to that right in this thread. Just scroll up.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

When I went through my first "Indy phase" at about 10-12 yrs old, my dad gave me a 6 foot black cowhide whip with a wood handle. I got to be pretty good with it (but since I've found out I am wayyy out of practice!).

Anyway, we lived out in the country, with few neighbors and lots of dirt roads. We had a section of our road that made a pretty much square block that was just over a mile long. Mom and Grandmother used to love to walk the block in the Spring and Fall, and they loved for me to come with them, because I had the whip.

The few neighbors that lived along the route all seemed to have dogs that loved to chase anything: cars, bicycles, dirt bikes, ATVs, and especially people walking. One crack of that bullwhip, though, against a few of these seemingly vicious dogs kept them well at bay. I remember one, in particular, a pit terrier/bulldog type thing, that I cracked across the nose with the whip once. That whip split the dog's nose open like a zipper. He never came after us again when we would walk by that house. He would come to the edge of the yard and bark a bunch of noise, but he never came into the road anymore.
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Thought I would add something else:

While it is not my intent to provide legal advice (I'm a cop, not a lawyer), I thought I might provide some insight on the legalities of using a whip in self defense.

First, is a whip considered a weapon? Any object when used with the intent to cause harm to another is considered a weapon.

Second, is it a deadly weapon? Any object, when used against another, that has the capability of causing death or serious bodily injury is considered to be a deadly weapon.

Those first two points are questions to be considered if and when a bullwhip is ever used in an offensive/defensive manner.

Most States have wordings similar to the above to describe specifics on assaults/batteries as they pertain to weapons. They also have a self-defense law, or some variation on defense against assaults. Basically, though, you can respond with the same amount of force used against you. This ideal would seemingly provide justification for using your bullwhip against someone or some animal that is intending to harm you, just as it would a legally carried firearm, or pocketknife for that matter.

As far as I know, no one has any specific laws prohibiting carrying of a whip, but I have heard of some localities that have regulations regarding the use of one in public.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

afrayedknot wrote:It kind of begs the question, "Why did Indy carry a whip?"
Okay. So, I guess we've established that a bullwhip isn't appropriate for protection against animals or humans. Sooooo . . . why did Indy carry a whip, again? ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

afrayedknot wrote: Sooooo . . . why did Indy carry a whip, again? ;)
To drive any stray cows he may stumble across? :-k

:Plymouth:
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

afrayedknot wrote:
Okay. So, I guess we've established that a bullwhip isn't appropriate for protection against animals or humans. Sooooo . . . why did Indy carry a whip, again? ;)
Can you think of a better way to swing across a bottomless (or lava filled) pit?
;)
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

kwad wrote:
afrayedknot wrote:
Can you think of a better way to swing across a bottomless (or lava filled) pit?
;)
You're right! What was I thinking? :lol:
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

afrayedknot wrote:
If we could perhaps blend the lines of fantasy and reality for a moment, and also go slightly off topic, I think that Indy carried his whip just as he carried his firearms, they were his tools each being used only when necessary. When thinking about his choice of the whip as an offensive/defensive weapon we cannot forget the time period in which Indy was operating, a period where public floggings/whippings were not uncommon and the intimidation factor of the whip, especially in many third world countries, was great. Not to mention that in those days being whipped could be seen as a humiliating experience. Tackle a "civilized" man wielding a whip? Both would be causes for hesitation.

The whip as a defensive / offensive tool today? I don’t see why it could not be effective if used within its obvious limitations, and I stress the words "obvious limitations". As many of us know, a whip hurts like blazes when you get hit accidentally and would hurt even more if someone who knew how to use it hit you, and I doubt one would be eager to seek more of the same. Speaking from personal experience of those waterfront days and providing that my memory can effectively reach that far into my past, many “tough men” professed to me that they would not want to be on the receiving end of my old lead handled bullwhip, so in my case the intimidation factor still seemed to have worked very well which was good for the health of yours truly. All braggadocio aside though, if I knew that I was going into trouble there would be better tools to take, however as one item in a set of tools I would consider it even in these modern times.
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

_ wrote:From one of the horses' mouths?

Because of Lash Larue. One of the distinctive b-serial hero's who frequently disarmed villains with his trade named tool, known as "The King of the Bullwhip."

It's just a movie, gents. Y'all are a thinkin too much! :TOH:
Agreed.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

InLikeFlynn wrote:

Because of Lash Larue. One of the distinctive b-serial hero's who frequently disarmed villains with his trade named tool, known as "The King of the Bullwhip."

Agreed.
I'm sure everyone is aware that it's just a movie. I started this thread half-jokingly to rationalize carrying a bullwhip in real world situations (and to convince my wife that I needed one!). I apologize if I've offended anyone who takes Indy Gear more seriously. But, I rather enjoyed all the stories and explanations from like-minded individuals. I thought that was part of the reason for these forums. I hope no one is discouraged from good conversation because they were admonished that "It's just a movie."
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I guess it's ok to walk around in public wearing a 10ft whip for "protection".....just make sure you have good insurance...and a good lawyer. :D
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

afrayedknot wrote:
InLikeFlynn wrote:

Agreed.
I'm sure everyone is aware that it's just a movie. I started this thread half-jokingly to rationalize carrying a bullwhip in real world situations (and to convince my wife that I needed one!). I apologize if I've offended anyone who takes Indy Gear more seriously. But, I rather enjoyed all the stories and explanations from like-minded individuals. I thought that was part of the reason for these forums. I hope no one is discouraged from good conversation because they were admonished that "It's just a movie."
Admonishment? Not at all, although I do agree that to much examination sometimes takes the fun out of a lighthearted experience.
This thread gave me a chance to once again wonder why a person may want to carry a whip in the 1930's and today. But perhaps more importantly it allowed me to take a nostalgic stroll down memory lane, and if I may quote Louis Lamour:
"For all life is divided into two parts: anticipation and memory, and if we remember richly, we must have lived richly."

I am quite pleased that you started this thread.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

One of the few Hollywood type individuals I actually saw in person and got to meet briefly was good old Lash Larue.

He used to come to my hometown for Roy Rogers Days in Portsmouth, Ohio. Old Roy was raised just outside Portsmouth, and called it his hometown until he passed away.

LL could still crack that monster whip from the back of his jet black horse, and did so during the parades. His horse never flinched. Had a full beard too, which kind of surprised me. He was a quiet spoken man, and loved his fans to the day he died in the late 60's.

I have NO idea why I didn't think of asking for his autograph at the time, but I just wanted to shake his hand and thank him for all the great memories he gave us. He was very appreciative of all the attention was was getting in the twilight of his years.

A REALLY nice man.

Regards !Michaelson