Has anyone tried this?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Has anyone tried this?

Post by Canyon »

I have just had an idea which I thought I would share with you and I would be interested in seeing if anyone has tried this.

As I only own one Akubra fedora :oops: (which at the moments is kinda shaped into a Raiders-esq style) I am thinking of buying two more Akubra's and shaping each like the films, i.e. keeping the one I have like the Raiders style, the second one like Temple and the third one like Crusade.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, I would really love to see some pictures if anyone has any.
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

Sure why not. It would be the same as purchasing the three different style jackets from the films.
Jhorra
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jhorra »

I think your going to find most people wouldn't do this simply because they don't have the extra money to order three different styles just to have them. Most people stick with the ones they like and wear them.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Only one Fed for me...

Indy only had one fedora, and that's all I'll ever have... :)

Just my opinion
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I have two PB customs, one with in a Raiders style and the other in a Temple of Doom. I do plan on getting one in a Last Crusade style sometime in the next few months. I actually wear them both, though not at the same time. I also have the three different styles jackets.

BTW, Cooler, in Raiders Indy had at least two, a brown and a grey.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Band Director Jones wrote:I have two PB customs, one with in a Raiders style and the other in a Temple of Doom. I do plan on getting one in a Last Crusade style sometime in the next few months. I actually wear them both, though not at the same time. I also have the three different styles jackets.

BTW, Cooler, in Raiders Indy had at least two, a brown and a grey.
Yes yes, you're right. I was not clear, by that I meant a feild hat, the one special hat that Abner gave him. That's how I think the story goes :)
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

I have hats shaped all three styles from the films as well as an Indy-hybrid hat. All of my lids came from Joe Jr. I do have one Akubra, but I hardly wear it as I prefer my Peters Bros. hats more. :) Brett
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

So your suggesting that the hat given to Indy at the beginning of the Last Crusade was from Abner Ravenwood? :-k Never thought of that connection before....very interesting. They just list the guy in the credits as "fedora." Could that also be way all the hats in the young Indy movies looked so poor, because he didn't find his style yet?

Regards,
Glenn
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Boy, you ain't lyin' - the Young Indy hats were awful...
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

indy81 wrote:So your suggesting that the hat given to Indy at the beginning of the Last Crusade was from Abner Ravenwood? :-k Never thought of that connection before....very interesting. They just list the guy in the credits as "fedora." Could that also be way all the hats in the young Indy movies looked so poor, because he didn't find his style yet?

Regards,
Glenn
I'm not suggesting, it's the truth. It's a common fact that the character 'Fedora' in LC was actually Abner Ravenwood. :)
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Cooler King wrote:I'm not suggesting, it's the truth. It's a common fact that the character 'Fedora' in LC was actually Abner Ravenwood. :)
...Eh?
When did this happen? Where was the memo? :shock:
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

conceited_ape wrote:
Cooler King wrote:I'm not suggesting, it's the truth. It's a common fact that the character 'Fedora' in LC was actually Abner Ravenwood. :)
...Eh?
When did this happen? Where was the memo? :shock:
I thought everyone knew! I don't have actual proof, but among most Indy fans, Fedora was infact Abner.

Anyone out there that can back me up?
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

This was covered not that long ago also...
"Fedora" is actually Abner in the LC script, but the name was changed in the final film...

Cooler King wrote:
I'm not suggesting, it's the truth. It's a common fact that the character 'Fedora' in LC was actually Abner Ravenwood.
There you have it.
Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jackson »

"Fedora" is actually Abner in the LC script, but the name was changed in the final film...

Man, Its amazing what I can learn here! I never put two & two together to get this, but it does make sense. "Fedora" seemed to take a liking to Indy in LC and in Raiders, Marion stated that it took alot for Indy to alienate him, he(Abner) considered him a son. This is cool. I'll have to watch the series again tonight to try and pick up on it. (Just another small reason to pull out the Indy DVD's....)

Cheers
Indiana Jackson
:D
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

With the exception of the Akubra Steve "The King of all Bashes" Fedora gave me, none of the fedora's have a particular movie bash. They are bashed till they look good on me.

... and with the nature of the fedora and my natural good looks, that takes hardly any time at all. I would say it takes... about, oh- a month.

How else can I explain why women like Canyon and by beloved Bride can't keep away?
English Adventurer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by English Adventurer »

How else can I explain why women like Canyon and by beloved Bride can't keep away?
Your razor sharp wit?

Ian :wink:
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Nope, it's that Stetson cologne. It's all about the cologne, and I'm pretty sure that is the only thing that stops Ren from cursing the Stetson name entirely :D

Regards

Farn
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

That... or the smell of campfire smoke and my Fettuccini Alfredo.

[Your right... Stetson would be dead to me if it wasn't for that cologne!]
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Hmm... I didn't know that Stetson makes a cologne, but since we're off topic anyway; Ren since you like the smell of campfire smoke and leather, I recommend 'Spanish Leather Cologne' from Geo F. Trumper (London). That is my all time favourite fragrance. It's not 'soapy' or sweet or anything alike. It has some wooden, leather smell with a bit of smoke (if that makes sense). According to what you wrote here, I think you'd like it a lot.

Regards,

Marc
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

Ren since you like the smell of campfire smoke and leather, I recommend 'Spanish Leather Cologne' from Geo F. Trumper (London). That is my all time favourite fragrance. It's not 'soapy' or sweet or anything alike. It has some wooden, leather smell with a bit of smoke (if that makes sense). According to what you wrote here, I think you'd like it a lot.
Marc,

Sounds like a good scent. Any suggestions on where to get it? Online, perhaps?

IG
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Keep in mind, though, lads that Cologne works depending on your own skin type, hormonal secretions, etc. As in, a Cologne that smells great in the bottle or on a friend may react badly with you and smell like @#$%. Higher quality colognes don't have this problem; but mid range to cheap ones tend to. It's always best to get a sample bottle, not just a card, so that you can spray it on yourself and then get your wife/girlfriend/sister/mom whatever to smell you a couple of hours down the line.

So, should I add Space Aliens in this thread and make it a little more off topic? :D Sorry, Canyon!!

To answer the original question: It would be neat to have a hat from every movie, but I'm a Raiders Hat guy; I'm saving for a Mercury Optimo, and I've got my Akubra Fed, both will be Raiders.

Regards,

Farn
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Very good points Farn. This particular cologne does indeed smell better on skin than in the bottle, but it is a higher quality cologne nontheless.

I got it a gift from my girlfriend, who again ordered it from catalogue (which I thought was pretty risky, but since I love the smell of it...). I'm sure you can get it here: www.trumpers.com

Maybe they'll send you a sample.

Regards,

Marc
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

As a gag, after a day of hard work and a nightly campfire I sprayed WD-40 in the air, walked through the mist... Let’s just say the results were more then desirable.

I'm going to have to get that bottle, Marc.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Marc wrote:It's not 'soapy' or sweet or anything alike. It has some wooden, leather smell with a bit of smoke (if that makes sense). According to what you wrote here, I think you'd like it a lot.
Hmmm, can I predict a 3rd Fisk kid on the way shortly after the RK's wife delivers their current one?
Doc Savage
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Doc Savage »

I get more positive comments on a $2 bottle of Afta aftershave than the most expensive colognes I've worn. Weird, eh? As for Feds, mine's sort of hybridized with elements of all three films and the specific curve that fits my dome.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

I got it a gift from my girlfriend, who again ordered it from catalogue (which I thought was pretty risky, but since I love the smell of it...). I'm sure you can get it here: www.trumpers.com

Maybe they'll send you a sample.
Morning all,

Just wanted to let any interested parties know that Geo. F. Trumper Ltd. has offered to send me a sample and information packet. I just emailed them at enquiries@trumper.co.uk and asked if they had any available, and they were very responsive.

IG
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Man! How did this thread get so off track? I thought we were talking about owning 1 fedora for each movie style.
I'd love one from each film. The more the merrier.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I'm reviving this old thread becasue it went seriously OT and am interested to see if anybody has tried this since I last posted. :wink:
Last edited by Canyon on Sat May 28, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

As in, a Cologne that smells great in the bottle or on a friend may react badly with you and smell like @#$%.

That would be unfortunate :shock: .

Canyon, you can buy a cheap hat, have it blocked Raider's style, then watch it as it goes from LC style to TOD bridge to TOD airplane-style all in one day. :?

I have a lot of hats, but I style them in the Raiders style mostly. I do not care for the other styles and will not wear the hat if I do not like the way it looks, so I really see no point...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Canyon wrote:I'm reviving this old thread becasue it went seriously OT and am interested to see if anybody has tried this since I last posted. :wink:
Well i'm gonna buy a raiders hat (AB) and maybe ... a day... i think i will buy a LC-like hat but grey to match it with suits :wink:
I'm sorry all this will take a lot of time so you wont see my hats very soon, interesting topic anyway.