The Fast Figure 8...FINALLY!!!!!!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

The Fast Figure 8...FINALLY!!!!!!

Post by Lukes Roommate »

It finally happened. I learned the Fast Figure 8, and in a way...by accident.

I was practicing my Tasmanian Cutback and decided before I went in, to try the Fast Figure 8, only in jest I decided to spaz left to right and actually managed to accomplish it. The little light went off in my head and in my arm and I realized, finally, the action that was required to accomplish it. I have watched Adam's video on it many, many times and simply couldn't get it right on the back swing.

After trying the FF8 multiple times I headed inside for a drink and a rest.
Coming back out, I decided to see how many times I could volley (getting cocky now). I managed 5 at best, and at worst cracked myself in the back of the head, my nards, and in the face.

I could do the FF8, but I couldn't accomplish it with the slow dexterity that Adam could in the video. Then my neighbors came out and I decided to try and tone the crack down and BAM, I NOW understood, and could accomplish the FF8 in that nice, controlled slow methodical way Adam could in his video. It was rather strange, but it all just "clicked".

It was a very, very good day. A few errant lashes to the face and giggle berries, and a new crack to the arsenal AND a rough ability to volley (it needs a lot of work).

Still smiling :)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: The Fast Figure 8...FINALLY!!!!!!

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

No worries,
I slashed a hunk out of my arm the first time I tried to do the Tasmanian cutback, still got the scar... ;)

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Lukes Roomate,

Congratulations on learning a new move!
It really is a great feeling when things falls into place.
(Sorry to hear about the battered giggle berries :lol: )

I've been having trouble with the fast figure 8 myself. I can get two cracks (three if I'm lucky), but any attempt at a volley ends up in some sort of injury. I think in my frustration, I've been trying to force it too much. I need to back off on the power and work on form (I'll just pretend that I'm trying not to annoy the neighbors. Seemed to work for you.)

However, I did add a new trick to my slowly growing library of cracks.
I can now do a double overhead crack (basically a horizontal figure 8 ).
After reading your last thread where you mentioned a reverse overhead, I just had to try it.
Once I got it down, I accidentally added a regular overhead to it (quite to my suprise as I was just trying to get the whip back to my right side). Now I can do it on purpose! :lol:

Now, If I could only figure out how to do an underhand flick, I would be a very happy whipper-snapper. It seems so simple, yet, I just can not get it to work unless I'm using the crappy 4' nylon whip I made. ](*,) Oh well, just another excuse to practice more. ;)
Lukes Roommate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lukes Roommate »

Congrats on the Overhead Crack, Kwad!!
The reverse overhead felt a bit daunting at first as it seemed like it was going to crack on the side of my face!
I have had some EXTREMELY loud cracks with that one, and without muscling it. I'm going to wear an ear plug on that side when doing it for fear of doing some hearing damage over there.

With regards to the underhand flick, the best way I can explain that one I guess is to pull the whip forward having the underside of your forearm facing forward, then just near when the whip is going to go to the horizontal plane, flip your arm up as if you are giving a grandiose middle finger to someone (snapping the wrist up a bit in a scoop movement).
There is a sweet spot to it, but once you get it that first time and things click, it's one of the easier cracks to manipulate.
I actually tried teaching my dad that one last night and he kept snapping the whip and stopping 3/4 of the way up, you should carry the forward momentum of the crack up and back around softly and smoothly.

It's funny, I had gone through some growing pains with the forward flick, and with a lot of help from the great members here I finally solved the issue. However, I was using Adam's method of swinging the whip back and up, then cracking forward. I couldn't get the "drag and push" method to work at all.
When I learned the Fast Figure 8, I learned the drag and push method of the flick at the same time.
I worked on that one yesterday for an hour, just working on form, loud and soft cracks, and targeting with with. What a satisfying method to perform the flick!

The volley is a tough one, as for me right now it starts out smooth, goes a bit messy, then settles down for a few volleys and then goes haywire again. Going to enjoy working on that one. Though I started to develop a bit of a pain in my elbow last night, hadn't had that feeling since I was still pitching and would get a touch of tendonitis in the pitching arm...

It's been such a great weekend for learning, however Mother Nature is being uppity right now and what was supposed to be a nice day is looking dark and foreboding...
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

I too just acquired the fast figure 8! Now to practice the heck out of it so I do not forget it! I had my best luck with it so far using a Bernardo 10 footer!
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

One of the best ways to start working these cracks is get a whip that will do them easily. A stock whip is a good bet. Midwest Whips Hybrid whip would be a good start. You can make a VW Beetle do some pretty cool stuff but there are other cars more suited.