Indy Hats and a conformature

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Indy Hats and a conformature

Post by Michaelson »

Kentucky Blues wrote:But I'm getting off topic... what kind of hat, be it homburg, tux fedora, or whatever, looks good with a tux? :-k

-KB :)
Old DR Ulloa sure looked dapper at his wedding in tux and black fedora, in my opinion!

Regard! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thanks for posting that picture, M. Yeah, that is the one that John made me for my wedding. Problem is it is so formal you can't really wear it with anything but a suit or tux. I've actually done the reverse and worn it with a bleach stained t-shirts and jeans with a pair of old sneakers and found that it kinda works there because it seems so out of place. That hat has a real special palce in my heart. I want to be burried with that hat, if that's kinda weird, sorry, but I do. And, no need for a conformature there. Now, I've had western hats that would have needed a conformature. There is a reason why I don't have those hats anymore. These floppy fedoras, you just don't need them. Its overkill and pointless. No need to use a conformature if the hat will mold to your head regardless. Ever wonder why your hats seem to fit better after a couple of weeks or months? Thats cause the hat is conforming to your head shape. Even hats that have been turned, for the Raiders brim swoop, end up conforming to your head. Don't need them. But as far as tux hats go, whomever says you can't wear a fedora with one has never tried it. You just need the right hat and a certain amount of style ;) . Any old hat won't work. Go to John for it. He'll fix you right up.

Dave
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Kentucky Blues wrote:But I'm getting off topic... what kind of hat, be it homburg, tux fedora, or whatever, looks good with a tux? :-k

I think the average person would consider the top hat the standard hat for a tux (if a hat was to be worn). But, we here are anything but average.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Hmm... as good as that looks, I just can't see that as being "right." I have to ignore the tuxedo-ness of the tuxedo to make sense of what I see. This could be just me (and it may very well be) but it seems like you're mixing two worlds in that photo. I just see a tuxedo being something you show off free of outerwear. Tails I can see... if you have tails, it's a whole different ballgame. I must just be weird. Or everyone else is wrong :rolling:

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote:Thanks for posting that picture, M. Yeah, that is the one that John made me for my wedding. Problem is it is so formal you can't really wear it with anything but a suit or tux.

Dave
A lot of people have that problem with black hats. Force yourself to wear it with middle-of-the-road clothes. It might break down your inhibitions with time.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

How'd this turn into a hats to wear with a tuxedo thread?

The proper answer should be brown fedora.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:Thanks for posting that picture, M. Yeah, that is the one that John made me for my wedding. Problem is it is so formal you can't really wear it with anything but a suit or tux.

Dave
A lot of people have that problem with black hats. Force yourself to wear it with middle-of-the-road clothes. It might break down your inhibitions with time.
Kind of like my black "Penman":

It can easily be a dress hat, but it looks just fine with normal clothes.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Mattdeckard wrote:How'd this turn into a hats to wear with a tuxedo thread?
Simple: I'm apparently blind to the new thread button :rolling:

FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Kentucky Blues,

A quick breakdown of hats and formal attire:

Evening:
White tie - Top Hat. This can be either a hard shell hat, or an "opera" hat. The opera hat is the collapsable top hat.
Dinner jacket/tuxedo (these are the same thing, just depends on where you are in the world as to what it is called) - Homburg. People do wear other hats, but a "proper" hat for black tie is a homburg.

Daywear:
Morning dress/cutaway (once again, the same, just geography) - Top Hat. This must be a hard shell hat. Can be silk or fur.
Stroller - Derby/Bowler. Some folks will wear homburgs with these as well.

Fedoras are a soft felt hat and are meant to be worn with "lounge suits" or "business suits". (geography).

Mike
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I used to like black hats until the nasty Nazi in Raiders sported one. Toht forever ruined my like of that color. :D
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Indiana Jake wrote:To Fedora and Bending Oak,

Do either one of you see yourself going into the Cowboy or some other stiff hat business? I often wonder how long the Indy hats can remain popular. I say this only because I am skeptical about the if and when of Indy V. Also, do you guys see yourself supplying hats to any non-Indy movies that may come up in the future?

Indiana Jake
Like John, I have made a few western styled hats, but personally don't care for working with that really stiff felt. Plus, retirement is in eyesight, and too late to start now.

On non Indy movies? No, but I had an opportunity to make a film hat recently. Turned it down. Don't have the time. And yes, it was to be for Harrison. Can't go into it right now though.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Fedora wrote:I used to like black hats until the nasty Nazi in Raiders sported one. Toht forever ruined my like of that color. :D
Toht may be the reason I LIKE them! Ask an actor why: villains are more fun! :rolling:
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Back to the topic of a conformature. Who actually needs an antique conforamture? You can buy a new one here.

www.lumberjocks.com/decoustudio/blog/5734

Gee, I already know how to sew by hand, I think I'll buy some Winchester hat bodies, roan sweatbands, and some LLS ribbon, and make my own Indy fedora.

Indiana Jake
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

Indiana Jake wrote:
Gee, I already know how to sew by hand, I think I'll buy some Winchester hat bodies, roan sweatbands, and some LLS ribbon, and make my own Indy fedora.

Indiana Jake
Just Kidding!
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

FloatinJoe wrote:Kentucky Blues,

A quick breakdown of hats and formal attire:

Evening:
White tie - Top Hat. This can be either a hard shell hat, or an "opera" hat. The opera hat is the collapsable top hat.
Dinner jacket/tuxedo (these are the same thing, just depends on where you are in the world as to what it is called) - Homburg. People do wear other hats, but a "proper" hat for black tie is a homburg.

Daywear:
Morning dress/cutaway (once again, the same, just geography) - Top Hat. This must be a hard shell hat. Can be silk or fur.
Stroller - Derby/Bowler. Some folks will wear homburgs with these as well.

Fedoras are a soft felt hat and are meant to be worn with "lounge suits" or "business suits". (geography).

Mike
I have to agree with all of that! But I must also add that when I think evening wear (specifically in the past when people felt this stuff mattered) I think evening, thus I think it cool enough to throw on an overcoat. I just have a hard time imagining someone wearing a homburg with their tux indoors, or wearing a tux without something over it outdoors (unless their hatless, like in modern times).

Also... something just looks weird about that modern conformature... maybe it's just too new :lol:

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Jake wrote:Back to the topic of a conformature. Who actually needs an antique conforamture? You can buy a new one here.

http://www.lumberjocks.com/decoustudio/blog/5734

Indiana Jake

Mark makes good stuff but its way to expensive for what you will get from it and most wont be able to handle working it. Most can't handle a cloth tape measure and lets not talk how expensive it would be sending that out in the mail.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Kentucky Blues wrote:
I have to agree with all of that! But I must also add that when I think evening wear (specifically in the past when people felt this stuff mattered) I think evening, thus I think it cool enough to throw on an overcoat. I just have a hard time imagining someone wearing a homburg with their tux indoors, or wearing a tux without something over it outdoors (unless their hatless, like in modern times).

Also... something just looks weird about that modern conformature... maybe it's just too new :lol:

Well, remember this, regardless of the type of hat, a person shouldn't be wearing it indoors. So that should help you through imagining someone wearing a tuxedo with a homburg.

Mike
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

Optimo can make you a hat using a conformer.

http://optimohatworks.com/index.php?act ... ductId=143

Indiana Jake
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Actually, and I could be wrong here, but I think the OTHER Optimo hats also has a conformature....

(see, I can be on topic :lol:)
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

Optimo in Chicago, IL, and Optimo in Bisbee, Arizona. Interesting...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

No one in their right mind is going to ship a true comformature out in the mail. The plastic one like the one Art uses yes but it will only get you your head measurements and head shape.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

BendingOak wrote:No one in their right mind is going to ship a true comformature out in the mail. ...

but aren't hatters supposed to be a little 'mad' ? ;)
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

From the files of the Fedora Lounge...
A tuxedo hat.

Image Image