M1911

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Archaeologist
Archaeologist

M1911

Post by 191145 »

Okay, Indy never used a M1911. Now the pistol in my avatar picture is a 1911-type, a Taurus PT1911B. I got it for a shooter and yesterday I took it back to the range to check a sight adjustment I made, and it is GTG! For the money, these are decent. Anyway, here's a picture of a real M1911 made in 1918. I did a clean/oil on it recently for the son of the WWII vet who still owns it. Tell you what, if Indy was an officer in WWI and had kept his pistol, it probably would look something like this one after that war and the following adventures. A M1911 of this period is called a 'Black Army' because of the finish Colt's used. This finish is known to have very little durability, so many of these lost most or all their finish with normal use and cleaning. Pictured is one as original and perfect as will ever be seen again as well as the one with 'patina'.

Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Re: M1911

Post by Solent MKIII »

Man, that patina-finish M1911 looks like its been drug behind a Nazi truck for the last 60 years! :Dietrich: Just curious: how do you clean those "Black Army" models without removing the original finish? :-k I'm assuming most modern solvents would be too harsh? Image
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

The 1911 is a great favorite of mine and I carried one for many years that stood me in good stead.

I have no doubt Indy would have had one of these considering his involvement in the military and I LOVE the battered one.. those worn grips indicate testimony to many interesting tales.

Regards

MARK
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

The 1911A1--accept no substitutes!

The Browning Hi-Power has screen accuracy and many other fine attributes to speak of. But it's not The .45.

When you carry one, you know it is there. When it is in your hand, you know it will fire. When you hit the target, you know it will stay hit.
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

hocfutue wrote:The 1911A1--accept no substitutes!

The Browning Hi-Power has screen accuracy and many other fine attributes to speak of. But it's not The .45.

When you carry one, you know it is there. When it is in your hand, you know it will fire. When you hit the target, you know it will stay hit.
LOL (and stay down..) especially with a Winchester Silvertip® hollow point…

Regards
MARK
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Those are beautiful! =P~ Colt made a limited run of these. http://www.bigskyguns.com/Colt-Colt_191 ... 01918.html Too bad it isn't a production gun.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Very fine 1911. Makes me think of the days to 'ole Black Jack Pershing. I love those two tone mags. Very fine indeed sir.

Regards,
Sean
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

One thing I've always thought is Indy is practical and pragmatic. To him a handgun is a tool of self-protection and military surplus is cheap and plentiful.
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

Yep, I'm a fan of the 1911 myself. For my money, you can't beat a Kimber for a production line pistol.

I carry a Kimber Eclipse. It's got a great finish on it. Kind of a high polish, glossy gunmetal black. I replaced the laminate grips with rosewood for a more contrasting appearance. At some point, I'll try to remember to post some pics.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

I have an Auto Ordnance "US Army" model--new production, but made to basic GI specs--parkerized finish, lanyard loop (on the frame, not the magazine!), mil-spec tolerances.

It's like getting a surplus pistol, but brand new. Best of both worlds, I think.

From a Gear perspective, Indy wouldn't have had a 60+ year old 1911 in 1937, after all!
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Check the artwork in my Avatar for the 1911 accessories. Don't know if you can actually see the pistol...
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

Zeus: I really liked the look of that concept drawing, which inspired me to purchase a vintage WWI web belt and a replica M1916 holster for my 1911.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Thanks,

I bought a rig just like that and wore it to the Aero Theater a few years ago for the screening of the trilogy.

I've used other aspects from larger versions of the Steranko artwork to put together an outfit. ( especially the jacket- got an old Bananna Republic version that is spot on)

While I like the screen version of Indy's clothing, I think the artwork costume is cooler. (hence my Avatar)
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Solent MKIII wrote:Man, that patina-finish M1911 looks like its been drug behind a Nazi truck for the last 60 years! :Dietrich: Just curious: how do you clean those "Black Army" models without removing the original finish? :-k I'm assuming most modern solvents would be too harsh? Image
If I had a mint 'Black Army' like the one above I would probably use only Ballistol on it, and there would be only 'daubing' - no rubbing. That's what I used on the worn one I worked on. I use Ballistol on my own old guns, particularly the ones with blued steel and walnut.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Mmm... Ballistol...

If you haven't used the stuff, GET SOME! It is a magical elixir. I use it on everything metal.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Detail stripping a 1911 and using soap and water is seldom talked about and works fine.
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Hot soapy water, followed by an oil rubdown to prevent rust is a must if using older/cheaper corrosive ammo, in particular.

Ballistol mixed with hot water works great for that--it's how I clean the firearms I use at reenactments. Blanks often have corrosive primers and propellants.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

I've boiled 1911's in water. Scrubbed them afterwards with a toothbrush and Palmolive soap. Then rinsed them in boiling water. Used a blow dryer and towels to get rid of all the water. Then rubbed everything down with 5w 30 motor oil. Toweled off the excess oil before reassembly.

1911's are just tools. A fine tool to be sure, but they can handle a good scrubbing with soap and water.