The last Indy Jacket I'll ever own?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I only know what he told me. And I'm not sure why he interjected that comment, I just wanted to know it it was a pre-WWII Naval flight jacket.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'm certainly not doubting you. It's a really neat discovery (in Indygear terms). As someone else has noted, that would explain the amount of dust coming off the jacket as he runs. Would leather do the same there?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Maybe they made the back out of cloth or some other material and kept leather sleeves? That would be a weird looking alteration.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Depending on what type of cloth and what sort of "movie magic" was employed, I could easily believe that the hovitos chase jacket was cloth. Perhaps it was better for causing that cloud of dust coming off of Indy? I also agree about the water reason. Makes sense.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Somewhere in the mid 1980's I read in a magazine that the leather jacket in raiders was briefly swapped with a cotton one because it would be lighter for the difficult scene in question. I always assumed it was the scene where he lands in the water. I'm not surprised that this has come up but it hardly matters as it is a question of a few seconds and amounts to a "stand in" jacket.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I think it matters in that it's another intertersting fact and now has some extra "wow" as the star of the movie has given someone some insight on the costume he wore.

Pretty cool if you ask me and I guess how much it matters is in the eye of the beholder!
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Are not "fans" of a given film by definition excited to learn of the minutia of its making?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

As Jones is running from the Hovitos, the 'action' of the jacket does not appear to react like a leather jacket, but more like a sweater? Pure speculation, but if it was cloth, could this be the cloth jacket from Western costumes? If it is the cloth jacket, was it also used in the bi-plane scene, as theoretically it should be the same jacket? The history of the jacket says that DN brought it, the 'Western mockup' with her to England, etc. According to the history page, she also had the Wilson's jacket(s), and one was used by Terry Leonard to do the truck scene. I bet he is glad he did not have to use the cloth jacket for that scene!
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

alphared6 wrote:Are not "fans" of a given film by definition excited to learn of the minutia of its making?
Depends entirely on the fan, I'd say.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Texan Scott wrote:As Jones is running from the Hovitos, the 'action' of the jacket does not appear to react like a leather jacket, but more like a sweater? Pure speculation, but if it was cloth, could this be the cloth jacket from Western costumes? If it is the cloth jacket, was it also used in the bi-plane scene? The history of the jacket says that DN brought it, the 'Western mockup' with her to England, etc. According to the history page, she also had the Wilson's jacket(s), and one was used by Terry Leonard to do the truck scene. I bet he is glad he did not have to use the cloth jacket for THAT scene, ha!
Boy I can't wait to hear how _ deals with this. Might be oen he'll ignore...
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I could buy that the drop into the river was a cloth jacket. Can you imagine trying to swim in a soaked leather jacket? Ouch.

Also, regarding the lack of manufacturer's tags in the alphared's jacket, and the pre-LC timing, could this be a prototype for the licensed jacket that Ford's people got ahold of?
CM wrote:Boy I can't wait to hear how _ deals with this. Might be oen he'll ignore...
Baiting...
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Alleluia! My USW Goat hide just arrived!

haven't had the time to really give it the once over but so far I really like it! It is heavy, seems well made. This should do in places where it's likely to be cool.
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

looks Great i want one now! its pretty dark..almost black it seems..
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

In hand it is that luxurious seal skin brown that the military uses on it's A-2's, both in WWII and the current USAF A-2.

Eyyyyyye like it!
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

I gotta say that the latest Wings jackets look great!! They are definatley changing something. How 'bout a pic of you wearing it?

Doug C
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I thought you'd like it! For the price you really can't beat this one - it's a jacket built for daily wear that looks great too. But these are certainly not for warm weather as it's a thick, tough hide.

A note about the color: it is a very dark chocolate brown and that comes out in the sunlight. With wear the color will soften. Very pretty.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

I just watched the hovitos chase sceen in super slow-mo, well actually I paused the disc at every other frame through the entire sceen sequence, from when he started running in the jungle to when he and jock were well up in the air. To me, I see a leather jacket, and in many of the frames you can distinctly see the sleeve creases around the elbow area after the arm has been straightened. Most of the flying dust is off the hat, though their is some stuck to the back panel. Even in the water it looks very much like lambskin as well, besides his jacket was soaked in the raft in India during the TofD too, though to be fair he was not swimming then. I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything, and I certainly don't doubt the story, thanks for sharing it with us BTW. Just reporting my opinion after sitting down to really examine it, YMMV.

Doug C
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Doug C wrote:I gotta say that the latest Wings jackets look great!! They are definitely changing something. How 'bout a pic of you wearing it?

Doug C
Here it is after the first phase of distressing.

I know it looks black in this picture but it's that great WWII USAAC brown.

:D
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Nice job getting the collar to look right (my only complaint with US Wings). What's your secret?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Terrific looking jacket! I think the USW goat looks really good from the pictures I've seen. You should have a good friend for a long time with that one.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I get the leather soaking wet. Then remove as much water as I can with towels. Then I dawn the jacket and start stressing the leather at natural stress points, thus the comfortable folds in the sleeves. I mold the collar into the shape I want then, with the jacket still on, I tie a stout string under the collar, knot in the front. When the leather dries (on my back most of the time) it will retain the look I've given it until saturated again.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re:

Post by CM »

alphared6 wrote:Here are links to some pictures. I hope they answer you're questions. :)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... 0_1490.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... 0_1491.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... 0_1492.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... 0_1493.jpg

The colors are not "true" in these pix. The color is close to seal skin brown and the lining is a dark brown cotton.
Holt says this jacket given by Mr Ford to our fellow fanatic looks like the archive jacket. I agree. Notice it has snaps and double seams on the shoulder. Is it a Cooper or a Keppler - the label was removed - why?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: The last Indy Jacket I'll ever own?

Post by RCSignals »

thanks for finding it CM. This is the thread I was thinking about too.

Too bad the jacket didn't have a label, but my guess is it is a Cooper Disney
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Good work, guys!

Never having seen this photo before (and is it just me, or is only the first pic showing up?), BUT pocket size, shape, flaps, side strap configurations, collar shape/collar stand transition....

Looks like a Cooper to me, too....and very like the picture of the "Archive Jacket" from the other post you're referencing.

NICE jacket!
Indydawg
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

cut, pattern, details. its identical to the CS jacket.

Im sure this jacket style is the CS origin
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Looks that way to me, too, Holt...
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Great find, CM. Thanks very much for doing the detective work and bringing this post up. I agree that this looks a lot like what has been identified as the archive jacket. If that picture you posted in the other thread is, in fact, the jacket used as the basis for both LC and CS, then this is getting very interesting.

I don't remember seeing a Keppler jacket from the same time period right now (other than the ad) so I hesitate to say for sure. But, my gut reaction upon first seeing the picture (I can only see the first picture as well Indydawg--maybe Alphared6--who, unfortunately, I've not see around these parts for a while--can repost the pictures of the rest of the jacket) is that it is a Cooper based on the details Holt mentioned. Probably a Cooper Disney as RC Signals said.

Like I said, I'm really wanting to get my hands on the DVD that Sarge is going to be giving out. From what I can tell, it's going to show some of the written details and pictures from around the time period as the very first Wings catalog was being put out. Which means very much pre-LC and just after the acquisition of Cooper (if my internal timetable is right). It will be very interesting to see what the Indy jackets looked like at that time.

I won't actually do it but imagine the rest of the page filled up with these... :-k :-k
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Agreed, crismans....I'm anxious to see that DVD get here, too.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:cut, pattern, details. its identical to the CS jacket.

Im sure this jacket style is the CS origin
I don't think it is 'identical' to the CS jacket but it certainly could be similar to the jacket that was used as the basis for the CS.

also see the photos provided by Sgt Hack posted in the other thread.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re:

Post by alphared6 »

alphared6 wrote:Here are links to some pictures. I hope they answer you're questions. :)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... 0_1490.jpg

Here are some additional pix I was asked to post as the links to the old ones failed.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... acket1.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313 ... acket2.jpg

The colors are not "true" in these pix. The color is close to seal skin brown and the lining is a dark brown cotton.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Thanks for reposting these!!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yes, thanks. Cool jacket. So close to the CS isn't it? I know the brand hs been cut out of it. Can we definitively say it is a Cooper? Can anyone find a picture of another Cooper just like that one?
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I should point out that the head of the snaps are under the layer of leather, there is not a brass head at the top and bottom like I see on other jackets.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re:

Post by lantzn »

alphared6 wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~~MY DECISION~~~~~~~~~~~~

First I want to thank everyone who responded here. Your input was
invaluable!
Considering that what I require and what I desire are two different but parallel tracks I have decided on ............
..............drum roll please ......................
the USW GOAT HIDE.
A durable leather jacket that can take it and provide me some degree of protection beyond a field jacket and still is close enough to an Indy jacket to please my delicate sensibilities! :lol:
I ordered it today. The VERY helpful woman at USW (who went out of her way to get me answers to all my questions) tells me that I should have it by the end of the week. I'll post pictures.
AGAIN ... thank you everyone, you greatly aided me in making an informed decision!
You made a good choice. I own a KotCS Nowak and bought both my grandsons the USW jackets and they are built well and look very close to the design. I treated the boys jackets with Obenauf's and they look great!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

alphared6 wrote:I should point out that the head of the snaps are under the layer of leather, there is not a brass head at the top and bottom like I see on other jackets.
That is a significant detail. So it's not LC style, really.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

One more opinion- I feel everybody who wants a Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket should at least own one Todd`s. More so for the look...then, with whatever money you have left and have the patience to save up for, go with what you can afford. My Lambskin has been with me in warehouse work, loading, unloading, run over by a forklift(without me in it of coarse), hiking through South Texas terrain (lots of mesquite trees, cactus and rocks), and the most rugged of all--raising four children AND I own and operate a childcare center...and though it looks beaten up it has no rips or tears, inside and out, and the zipper still works great!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The fact the zipper still works is testiment in itself after all that! :shock:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

All this time I thought the idea was to be dragged by a truck, not run over by one! #-o

...try telling THAT to the German soldier!