Has anyone actually ever used a bullwhip for protection?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Has anyone actually ever used a bullwhip for protection?

Post by afrayedknot »

I've decided to take up backpacking and I had the crazy idea to carry a bullwhip for protection from lions, and tigers, and bears. Is this a bad idea?
IndianaBravo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Has anyone actually ever used a bullwhip for protection?

Post by IndianaBravo »

Hi ! This subject has been examined before. I have used a whip to scare away wild dogs, and I seem to remember somebody scaring off a bear with one. There are better ways of dealing with bears. They are highly dangerous animals, especially a mother with cubs, and should be avoided at all costs.
Cheers!
IndianaBravo
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

IF I decided to carry one for this type of protection from wild animals, what would be the best length?
Brain Scientist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Brain Scientist »

I had a raccoon routing through my garbage and the whip cleared him out...
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I found the bear thread!

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ilit=bears

Hmmmm. . . . after reading the posts, it doesn't seem that the bullwhip offers much protection from larger predators. And I was trying to convince my wife that I had found a practical use for a bullwhip! *sigh*
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gaucho »

Men

I only use my whip to funny. But, can be use to self defense to, if the situation it's necessary.

Gaucho.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

You are not serious are you? :roll: A real whip doesn't work like Whiplash's from Iron Man 2. Use a whip to protect yourself against vicious animals?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I'd never use a bullwhip against someone wielding a gun... I'm not fast enough.

A short one can probably be used in some kind of fight... but only to keep oponents at bay which I doubt would last very long. Adrenaline has a way of making pain unnoticeable. Once your opponent gets a chance, all he needs to do is rush you. If the whip's butt is heavy enough, you can probably use it to conk your opponent on the head.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

What about whips used at circus ;) ?
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

tomek9210 wrote:What about whips used at circus ;) ?
That's for show. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye. A whip isn't going to do anything against a tiger if it actually came at you. If the guy is serious, he needs to just buy a gun or hike elsewhere. A whip was created for other purposes, not tigers. Sure, it'll scare of animals like dogs or raccoons. The man lives in Indiana according to his profile. I've never heard of tigers or lions there other then a zoo.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

afrayedknot wrote:I found the bear thread!

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ilit=bears

Hmmmm. . . . after reading the posts, it doesn't seem that the bullwhip offers much protection from larger predators. And I was trying to convince my wife that I had found a practical use for a bullwhip! *sigh*
Even tho I pratice the bullwhip as a self defence weapon,( I don't run cattle nor have any bulls nearby) I carry a S&W model 500 with a 4" barrel just in case of such an incounter. That and if I happen to run into a bigfoot or something along that lines ;) I live in Kansas so odds are I'm way over armed.
Last edited by John Vaughan on Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Yeah I know, it was just a joke.
I've heard about situation, which whip was used in for protection. One guy told me that he used whip when a dog attacked him. He just cracked and the dog ran away. He and dog were fine, nothing bad happened.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Although I don't think a whip would be particularly of great use in a fight, I still bring my 3.5ft whip in the car... The traffic here is insane! There is always a chance of getting roadrage related violence. The whip might not be the best weapon, but it's better than nothing.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

We aren't talking about humans. We are talking about raging killer animals.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

WhipDude wrote:We aren't talking about humans. We are talking about raging killer animals.
okay now that I've had a cup of coffee maybe I'll spell better. I really wouldn't try to us one for protection. I train that way for exercise only, that and the targeting. In the wild the bigger the gun the better, hands down. A loud crack will scare smaller animals, but I think all it would do is get the attention of the BIG ones. Guess they could eat it later for a light snack.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

John Vaughan wrote:
WhipDude wrote:We aren't talking about humans. We are talking about raging killer animals.
okay now that I've had a cup of coffee maybe I'll spell better. I really wouldn't try to us one for protection. I train that way for exercise only, that and the targeting. In the wild the bigger the gun the better, hands down. A loud crack will scare smaller animals, but I think all it would do is get the attention of the BIG ones. Guess they could eat it later for a light snack.
:P It would be a snack. I'm sure kangaroo would taste great to the animals.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

That's why I strap on the big iron. Ain't much going to stand up to a .500 Mag :TOH:
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I was only being partially serious . . . but it would still be cool to carry it backpacking . . .
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

afrayedknot wrote:I was only being partially serious . . . but it would still be cool to carry it backpacking . . .
I think you are trying to convince your wife of a need for a whip. It can be practical for smaller animals, but I think with bears, lions, and other wild and dangerous animals I am not so sure a whip is going to do. It may scare them away, or they may think it is an attack on their turf. Then your a dead man. I did use a whip to shut up my neighbors dog, he just kept barking, this dog always does this a lot, barks at anything that makes a noise. Cracked the whip at him and got him to shut up for a little while. Just save up some money and buy a whip. Say it helps you exercise your arm if need something for your wife to hear a justification for it.

IndianaChris
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

They work great as a dog deterrent out on a walk.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

It kind of begs the question, "Why did Indy carry a whip?"
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

I can see a whip working if your'er going against a hand weapon like a knife, club ect. where distance from your attacker is a good thing and as everyone knows who cracks a whip, they hurt when ya get hit by one. Now a gun on the otherhand, well it's kinda like the bear thing. I'd run or at least duck :Plymouth:

Peace

John
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Remember that a "snake whip" is also called a "pocket" whip, mine (from R. J. Allen) has a big hunk of lead in the butt and could be used as a blackjack in a bar-fight. Thing is, if you haven't got a lot of training/experience (and a high pain tolerance) fights with strangers and no referee can be really damaging to your self-image. Pulling a whip, or a knife, or smashing a bottle may serve to try to convince the other party that you are a crazier mother than he is, but, if it doesn't or if you ain't, you're in a world of hurt. One of the reasons military units run every day is that it's always useful to be able to bug out before you get wiped out.

LJ
cabbynum
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cabbynum »

To someone who hasnt been around a whip very often the noise alone stuns them just being astonished by the noise. I keep my four foot bullwhip from Robert Dante and my matched pair from Lauren Wickline at my sides when im home alone.
if i am outside and a car pulls into our driveway and i dont know them i do the QLD crossover moving slowly towards them until they tell me im here for you dad or i recognize them
or the are there for my mom
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

So ya, I think a whip would work for a time against a human. I mean they have for a very long time. But the question was dangerous game types. I'd have to go with a big gun. I guess the aspect of a half inch hole in ones chest would be a bit daunting tho'. Are ya all starting to get the Idea I really love my S&W 500, I call her Vera ;) I do how ever agree with Long John, buggin' out works rather well, Even Indy knew when to bolt!
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I used a whip when I was stuck on a train in a cage with a lion…………………
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

:-s :rolling: ;) :TOH: Good one.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Yeah! But a circus lion is essentially "trained" to react to a whip-crack in a certain way. The whip is to cue the beast, if things go wrong, the chair is to distract it while you pull out the gun... or duck under a nearby antique... :Plymouth:

LJ
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Easiest way to ensure your safety is to use the buddy system when hiking... Just make sure you can out run them when a bear or trouble appears..... :lol:

I'm kidding.....
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I'll add a point I've said before. If you plan on using a whip for protection in any circumstance, train to do so. Seek out someone with the knowledge to apply what we all as whipcrackers know to the subject of self defense. It goes much better that way.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Indiana County Jr. wrote:Easiest way to ensure your safety is to use the buddy system when hiking... Just make sure you can out run them when a bear or trouble appears..... :lol:

I'm kidding.....
Ya, I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you :P
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I prefer carrying a bear banger in the woods - it packs a loud bang and scares the animals away.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Ya, me too, It is filled with five .50 caliber bear bangers just waiting to get out :P No, I live in kansas so the odds of running into a bear with out going to the zoo are slim to none. We do have nasty groung squirrels tho'. Like I said when I go hiking I'm way over armed. I'd rather pack a hand cannon and not need it..ect :TOH:
Last edited by John Vaughan on Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Well, I sort of have. I worked on a station in the NT years ago. We often had to muster big mean bulls. These bulls would try and lift both horse and man into the air with their horns, goring the horse. They were very frightened of a whip. You could not go anywhere near them without a whip and hope to achieve anything. I also carried a whip in the bush when working in the mining industry for wild bulls hiding amongst scrub in creek gullies but we found that simply banging a hammer on a panning dish worked just as well to frighten them off. In general whips are for fun though. It's a hobby.

I do think however that a whip is a useful thing to have in your hands in dangerous snake country. My Dad was attacked by a large venomous tiger snake while with a group out hunting (mentioned this before on cow). The snake came back 3 times to attack the group he was in, and nearly bit one of the women on her leg. He managed to shoot it when it stood up off the ground and eyed him long enough for him to get off a shot. In such a situation a whip would be a very comforting item to have.
Last edited by JMObi on Sun May 23, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

If you know your opponent has no idea in using a bullwhip, you could give it to him and let him inflict damage on himself....... Hehe.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

fenris wrote:If you know your opponent has no idea in using a bullwhip, you could give it to him and let him inflict damage on himself....... Hehe.
Ya know I never thought of that :-k considering the few times, :roll: I've hit myself, that just might work. That way you could step back, have a brew, and watch them beat themselfs up. Still, don't think it would work on a big cat nor a bear. ;)
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Believe it or not I actually carried a whip for protection when I was young and didn't know any better (the wisdom of age may be a good thing but at times it can spoil the spice of life). I was pretty good with my 8 foot bullwhip at that time and I rigged up this shoulder holster affair which carried it somewhat concealed under my jacket when it was coiled tightly, instead of a holster it had a leather snap loop similar to the belt loop holder on Indy's belt.
I also ripped off the handle down to the steel spike and put a steel tube over the spike, poured molten lead filling up the steel tube, then removed the tube and re-wrapped the handle with leather making a quite effective club.
I carried this on many trips through bear country and more importantly while working in Craig, Alaska which was a rough place in 1982. I used and repaired this whip so much that it finally just came apart. Thankfully I never had to use it in a fight with human or beast as I would have more than likely gotten clobbered but good, but strangely enough I felt very safe while carrying that old whip so who knows?

On the way to Alaska, 1982; If one looks close my Bullwhip is above the muffler, to the right of the back wheel.

My old lead handled Bullwhip has been retired now for many years.
Last edited by InLikeFlynn on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Similar to _'s experience I was backpacking in Montana's Glacier National Park one time in 1981 when our party came upon a grizzly bear. Our trip leader asked those who had bells to start ringing them and asked me to crack my whip a few times. I felt rather silly as I could not see any bear from where I was but complied and apparently the bear ambled off to less crowded pastures and our party continued on. Much to my dismay I never saw the bear but it lends some credibility to the idea that bears do not like the sound of a whip cracking.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Todd, I forgot you grew up here..... a lot of locals say the bear bells are useless, and to just talk or sing loudly, because the bear knows you are a human.

I just came back from a 2 wk trip into the northern BC, Yukon and Alaska. Didn't see a single grizzly, but saw a small momma black bear and a small cub. They took off as soon as they heard someone talk (was not a dangerous situation, as we were in a car).

I have a larger bear and cubs in my back yard right now. They come out to hit the trash cans (ours is put away) around 2am every morning.

I bought some of the good bear spray, just in case we run into them during the day.

I've considered carrying my 8ft whip around, I personally think a 6ft would be even better, in terms of speed to get a crack out. Definitely not my 10ft.

Most people I've spoken to think the whip might just upset the bear.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

_! Good to see you in the bullwhip section.

In terms of protection, I just don't think anything over about a 4 foot whip would be practical in any environment where you might get into a fight, ie a bar. Too close of quarters to effectively use it. You'd probably be best off using the handle as a club and choking someone over trying to whip them into defeat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Indiana Jeff wrote:_! Good to see you in the bullwhip section.

In terms of protection, I just don't think anything over about a 4 foot whip would be practical in any environment where you might get into a fight, ie a bar. Too close of quarters to effectively use it. You'd probably be best off using the handle as a club and choking someone over trying to whip them into defeat.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
One thing I've beat into my students is never think like this. The whip is not a single weapon but a weapons system. Here is a student of mine doing just that. The whip is seven feet long and for the first part of his form he is in close contact manipulation range. But wait, you can't use a long whip in close!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSu5NuYHn5M
People forget the training. I train long whip for long, medium, and short range combat. I can start in any range and work to any range. Off the belt, in my hand, off my shoulder, it's all the same. TRAIN to do it and you'll be surprised what you can find out. Then combine the knowledge of use of the belt, the stick, the dan bong, the saraong, the rope dart, chain whip, three section staff, nunchaku, flail and sword and I think you'll find the whip can do it and do it well. But is it practical? That's a whole another question.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

But is it practical? That's a whole another question.
I think that's where the issue is. For martial arts, it's wonderful for combining into training. It can teach technique which can lead to other techniques. I always like using the whip as an example for some techniques. Loose but fast and can strike hard. Not stiff and slow. It's great for the art and self confidence. As far as I'm concerned, if you can keep a student in a dojo/dojang for hours learning this instead of doing illegal things, mission accomplished.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I think I've posted earlier on this thread, the practical weapon is the one you have with you. Which means that for me oddly, the whip is very practical.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

"Nothing beats a good blaster by your side kid".
Seriously I wouldn't think a whip is a very portable 'scarer'.
When I was camping in the Norwegian forests in winter I scared off wolves with a powerful bait-flinger' type catapult and 1 inch wooden beads. [startle the pack leader and they all head off]. Wooden beads because I wanted to bruise, not kill, a protected species.
However I did have a few flashbangs with me in case they weren't getting the point.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

So, hypothetically, if one were to carry a bullwhip around for this type of protection, what length would you want it?

(I'm sure there are multiple threads on the preferred length of a bullwhip, but I haven't looked through all fifty pages.)
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I wouldn't carry a bullwhip around for this type of protection. Far better things to use as such.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Contact somebody local who can give you the laws. We are about Indiana Jones, not defense against wild animals. A bullwhip would be foolish against an animal unless we are talking about a gerbil. Then I'd do some research from reliable sources about what to carry. Then I'd suggest even as far as going locally to find somebody who is an expert on hunting and safety.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

hollywood1340 wrote:I wouldn't carry a bullwhip around for this type of protection. Far better things to use as such.
Here in kansas it's called the benefits of concealed carry, and it costs about the same as the price of a good bullwhip. I have thought about the use of a bullwhip in self defense from the time of my last post here. With more research I've come to the conclusion that with the right training a whip can be used very effectively against a human, not so sure with an animal of any real size, the key word would be training. I personally wouldn't carry one for protection reasons, but that's just me. :TOH:

John
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

A bullwhip could be used for protection against humans. When you pull it out to use it, the attacker will fall down laughing, and you can make your escape. :P
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I did read his post _.
So, hypothetically, if one were to carry a bullwhip around for this type of protection, what length would you want it?
He specifically said for protection. Loud noises isn't going to do anything for protection. Assuming he means the sort of protection in a defense situation. That's why I said what I had said. :TOH: If he said to something along the lines of scaring an animal, maybe it would work.
Personally, I wouldn't even gamble using it for loud noises. What happens when you are surrounded by trees and little room? Are you going to carry it with easy access all the time? It has the possibility of tangles as well.
Yes, it will hurt somebody. But it's not incredible stopping power. It has cut ears and serious damage, but the timing and power has to be spot on.

I'm not trying to be rude here. I'm simply giving the guy serious advice. If he's legit about protection, we are the last people to ask. We may have some hiking experience, but we aren't experts on the subject. We also can't just tell him to carry a gun because we don't know his local laws. I'd hate for somebody to get the notion that the whip is a great choice to carry for protection or even to scare an animal. There are many other things he can do that are probably tried and true by hunting aficionados.

Us on the other hand? We use it to scare sword wielding villains. ;)