Fed III's still available

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Fed III's still available

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's Tom Selleck! :CR:
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Not even a hint of the distinguished grey eh :-s :lol:

Kilgour
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Not even a hint of the distinguished grey eh :-s :lol:

Kilgour
:whip:

(That was just before I had kids... The gray came very shortly there after...)
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hey Michealson..he's not this guy? Is he? :BD:
If it is.....why does Bink keep stealing his wallet :-k
Is Dalex rich from his exclusive Hatsdirect tutorial copyright payments?

Dalex..as for the Distinguished Grey..Feel good "At least you've got something to turn grey!"
Unlike some of us :cry: :anxious:
When some of us had Kid's..."It all just FELL OUT" :shock: :lol:

Kilgour
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Thats what I keep telling my 4 brothers... who weren't so lucky! :rolling:
Grey, I can fix that!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Ok, seeing Chewbacca Jone's tawny fawn hat in the bazaar made me want one in my size. Since my size is apparently just over 58 cm now, I'm tempted to get a Fed III. They also have a black Fed III in my size.

Shipping is cheaper if I get two hats at once. But do I really need two more hats? I have a gray AB, what situations/clothes will I wear the black Fed III in? Help!

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I feel your pain... that shipping deal always gets me, and I end up debating two hats rather than one. Before I had over a dozen fedoras to my name, I always caved. The Fed I'm selling is the only single hat I've order from Hatsdirect! ](*,)

Anyway, Think of the black hat the way you think of the fawn hat. Same basic color-scale, just a different shade!
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Hmm, that's a very good point! Thanks!

Riothamus
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hey Chewy: Sorry to hear about your dilema.
Does it look like they sent you a Fed lV by mistake? :-k
That's frustrating... you were probably anticipating it like I was.

My Black Fed Delux came in and it's bang on in size, so you may well be correct.
Have you measure the brim to see.

Riothamus...the black Fed is really slick with darker tweed jackets,
pants and even a bit of red. Do a little experimenting and even
bring it into your men's clothing store and see what the salesmen can do.
Just and aside on the Black.

One of my young female employee's saw the new black
Fed D and immediately said, "Now that's nice"!
The Fed Delux is a fantastic price right now and really can't be beat.

Chewy, Hang in there...the Tawny Fawn is worth the effort
Kilgour Trout
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

In my email I asked about 58 or 59 and told them my size was 58.1025 centimeter and they told me that the hats run true to size so that the 59 would be too big.

Now, I tend to believe this as I just had the sweat in my size 59 Fed III replaced (it had shrunken and cracked and separated from the hat) and now the hat is too big! I had received it used from another member so I think the sweat had already shrunk some, plus my head size seems to have changed from 23 or 23 1/8 to 22 7/8.

I really hope the hats are Fed III's because I much prefer my Fed III over my Fed IV. I'm going to think about it this weekend and decide on Monday about whether I'm buying 1, 2 or none.

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

riothamus wrote:In my email I asked about 58 or 59 and told them my size was 58.1025 centimeter and they told me that the hats run true to size so that the 59 would be too big.
If that measurement is accurate, then their 59 will probably be too big. What size is your Fed IV? How's the fit?
Kilgour Trout wrote:Hey Chewy: Sorry to hear about your dilema.
Does it look like they sent you a Fed lV by mistake? :-k
That's frustrating... you were probably anticipating it like I was.
Chewy, Hang in there...the Tawny Fawn is worth the effort
Kilgour Trout
Well, I wanted the III, but whatever this is, I like it anyway. It's the fit that's a problem, nothing else.
Now, I think it's a IV because the bow does not match any of the III bows I've seen, and because it fits differently. I compared measurements to my only remaining III (purchased before the IV ever existed) and they match. ](*,) I don't recall what the "official" brim width was supposed to be on III's.

Now, I'll probably end up losing a little money on this hat (between exchange rates, shipping costs, and paypal fees), which I don't mind much. But to order another single hat in a larger size, with shipping, just won't make sense. So, I'll put the money aside toward something with a similar color scheme. I've had too many near-misses with fawn colored off-the-rack lids. I've purchased 4 in as many years, and they've just gone in-and-out. :( So, to win this battle, I'm going custom come the fall. Art Fawcett has the closest color match of my three go-to hatters, so he'll get that job.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

So guys, what's the right one to order for the proper Indy look? The tawny fawn with a particular ribbon, or do they just come with a standard ribbon? I'd prefer to do the dim. cut myself.

If I were to get a grey traveler, that was a black ribbon right?
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Have any of you heard if they still have the brown Fed IIIs in size 57cm?
At roughly $62 USD, I might have to look into this.
I love my Fed III, but would like to have another to bash differently.

Thanks,
-Bogart :TOH:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

RaidersBash wrote:So guys, what's the right one to order for the proper Indy look? The tawny fawn with a particular ribbon, or do they just come with a standard ribbon? I'd prefer to do the dim. cut myself.

If I were to get a grey traveler, that was a black ribbon right?
Tawny Fawn is too light for an accurate Indy hat, but it's a popular color anyway. The brown is the color you want. Ribbon color is not a choice when buying the hat, but you can get the right color ribbon from Todd's Costumes and swap it out yourself. Also, all Federations come with a dimensional cut.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:If that measurement is accurate, then their 59 will probably be too big. What size is your Fed IV? How's the fit?
my Fed IV is also a size 59, but was also received used so the sweat might be shrunk a bit. I haven't tried it on in a while... I'll have to pull it out and try it on and measure it before I decide. :-k

Excelsior!
Riothamus
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Ok, I gave in and ordered a size 58 tawny fawn and black Fed III. I'm thinking I'm going to bash these in a non-Indy style to give myself some variety. Any suggestions?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

riothamus wrote:Ok, I gave in and ordered a size 58 tawny fawn and black Fed III. I'm thinking I'm going to bash these in a non-Indy style to give myself some variety. Any suggestions?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Maybe a tear-drop or c-crown rather than a center crease?
Those are the only creases i have tried other than a center-dent (Indy style)
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Now what's the difference between the two? Other than kind of a cowboy hat style center crease, the Indy style, and what I think is a teardrop, I don't know of other hat dents. So what are a c-crown and a teardrop, really?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

THEY CAME! \:D/

The timing is perfect as I'm about to send my ABs back for resizing and a brim trim. I think it will be too warm most of the time for a fur felt hat, but these are lighter and we just had two days of mid 60s-70s so who knows?

The black fits perfect right out of the box, and the tawny fawn is a little loose, but I bet it will snug up properly after I wear it a while. They definitely fit better than the 59 Fed III and Fed IV I had/have.

Now I have to ponder the bashes... :-k This is my first opportunity to bash a hat myself. The bows are definitely NOTHING like the indy bow. Makes me realize that the Fed III I just sold must have had some ribbon work done before I got it. However, since I'm not going to bash them Indy (at least not both of them) and they are not Indy hats, I don't care. These are just a good deal on a great factory hat in some colors I don't own yet. I'll post some pics tonight hopefully.

Now if only my Peters Bros straw would show up... :anxious:

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

riothamus wrote:Now what's the difference between the two? Other than kind of a cowboy hat style center crease, the Indy style, and what I think is a teardrop, I don't know of other hat dents. So what are a c-crown and a teardrop, really?

Excelsior!
Riothamus

A "C" is more or less the one on the far right (the medium gray). The teardrop I have heard defined as either another name for a c-crown, or a more elongated c-crown.
Another option, which is a favorite of mine, is the diamond crown. That has many forms. The middle hat in the pic above has a 4-point without a middle hump, and with less definition. The hat on the left (darkest gray) has a well defined diamond with a middle hump. The bash is deeper, so the head needs the hump tot fit. A diamond can have 4,5, even six points (from what I've seen so far). Here's a 5-pointer;

Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
riothamus wrote:Now what's the difference between the two? Other than kind of a cowboy hat style center crease, the Indy style, and what I think is a teardrop, I don't know of other hat dents. So what are a c-crown and a teardrop, really?

Excelsior!
Riothamus

A "C" is more or less the one on the far right (the medium gray). The teardrop I have heard defined as either another name for a c-crown, or a more elongated c-crown.
Another option, which is a favorite of mine, is the diamond crown. That has many forms. The middle hat in the pic above has a 4-point without a middle hump, and with less definition. The hat on the left (darkest gray) has a well defined diamond with a middle hump. The bash is deeper, so the head needs the hump tot fit. A diamond can have 4,5, even six points (from what I've seen so far).
I like what I can see of the bow on the dark gray hat on the left. I don't suppose you have any other photos of it?

Joe
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Well, my Fed. III Deluxe in Loden Brown arrived the other day. Not quite sure how I feel about it...the color is a bit dark...an odd brown. Also, I'm a bit frustrated with the bash results after the turn. I think the long oval crown creates an odd taper around the tops of the dents.

Any one have any ideas or have experienced this themselves? I'll try to get pics up at some point.

Either way, I'll be sending it to John for a reblock when he's got the time. I was going to send my Uptowner, but it looks so good on my wife, she can keep it. :TOH:
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Can anyone say what the most screen-accurate color choice would be if I wanted to get a Fed III and do a Raiders bash?